Cheap / Free Post-Processing Software for iPad/Mac?

ember1205

Mouseketeer
I was trying out LightRoom early this year and was going to purchase a perpetual license for it because it seemed to do everything I actually -needed- along with being able be used for more as I learned it. Adobe has killed that off as an option, and I flat-out refuse to buy a subscription service for a variety of reasons (which I won't go into here, and please don't recommend any of these as options).

The built-in editing options on the iPad Pro (2018) model are ok and will allow me to do a few very basic things to create JPG's from my RAW images while on the boat. I have also downloaded and tinkered a very little bit with Google's Snapseed and it, too, seems to get the basic things that I need done quickly and easily.

What I'm looking for, though, are some recommendations for any no-cost or low-cost software options that would be better to use. And, something that works on both the iPad Pro AND the Mac with similar controls and interface would be the ideal - especially if a single license would unlock functionality on both platforms.

I shoot a Nikon D750 DSLR in RAW mode only, and I also snap pics on my Google Pixel 3 XL smartphone with RAW mode enabled on it as well.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Anyone have a LR license that they don't want any more? :)

You'll pry those Lightroom perpetual licenses from their current users' cold, dead hands. :)

This isn't a help on an iPad, but for your Mac use Capture NX-D. It's easily the best raw conversion and basic editing option for Nikon, and is completely free. Their companion View NX-i software adds the catalog features as well.

I've never used a Pixel 3 raw format so I can't comment if it supports it or not, but ordinary 16 bpp TIFF work quite well with it, I use Capture NX-D for film scans in TIFF all the time.

Don't expect those to come to an iPad anytime soon though. For one thing, the raw conversion would murder the CPU and battery in an ARM device - it's the best quality, but it needs either Expeed or x64 CPUs to do some of the more advanced JPEG encoding trickery.

I was trying out LightRoom early this year and was going to purchase a perpetual license for it because it seemed to do everything I actually -needed- along with being able be used for more as I learned it. Adobe has killed that off as an option, and I flat-out refuse to buy a subscription service for a variety of reasons (which I won't go into here, and please don't recommend any of these as options).

The built-in editing options on the iPad Pro (2018) model are ok and will allow me to do a few very basic things to create JPG's from my RAW images while on the boat. I have also downloaded and tinkered a very little bit with Google's Snapseed and it, too, seems to get the basic things that I need done quickly and easily.

What I'm looking for, though, are some recommendations for any no-cost or low-cost software options that would be better to use. And, something that works on both the iPad Pro AND the Mac with similar controls and interface would be the ideal - especially if a single license would unlock functionality on both platforms.

I shoot a Nikon D750 DSLR in RAW mode only, and I also snap pics on my Google Pixel 3 XL smartphone with RAW mode enabled on it as well.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Anyone have a LR license that they don't want any more? :)

plenty of places on the internet to get an old photoshop CS5 or CS6 program (pre-subscription)
But first you have to convert with Adobe DNG
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

You'll pry those Lightroom perpetual licenses from their current users' cold, dead hands. :)

This isn't a help on an iPad, but for your Mac use Capture NX-D. It's easily the best raw conversion and basic editing option for Nikon, and is completely free. Their companion View NX-i software adds the catalog features as well.

I've never used a Pixel 3 raw format so I can't comment if it supports it or not, but ordinary 16 bpp TIFF work quite well with it, I use Capture NX-D for film scans in TIFF all the time.

Don't expect those to come to an iPad anytime soon though. For one thing, the raw conversion would murder the CPU and battery in an ARM device - it's the best quality, but it needs either Expeed or x64 CPUs to do some of the more advanced JPEG encoding trickery.

I will take a look at those options for the Mac. On the iPad, I will likely stick with Snapseed, at least for right now, since it seems to do a reasonable job with a RAW format pic and i’m only looking to do some basic tuning before I upload it during the time I’m still on the boat so family can “follow along” with the trip - final editing will get done when I'm Home.

I will probably consult my list of camera bodies Lightroom 5 supports before ever considering an upgrade. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter