Cheap grocery store?

Amy Hammack

Earning My Ears
Heading to DW for our first time next month from the west coast. I was wondering where is a cheap and easy place to grab groceries? We fly into MCO in the afternoon and are staying at Windsor Hills. I am a amazon prime and Costco member and am familiar with Walmart. Is Walmart going to be my best bet? We have a grocery outlet store here that I frequent and I wasn't sure if there was something similar down there. We are a large family so I was hoping to find an affordable option for groceries :) Thanks in advance!

I usually find Walmart the cheapest.. I now live overseas and always fill one suitcase with American Food stuff I miss (Pop tarts).. But save a bunch by buying generic brands..Walmart has a lot of their own brands.
I find Trader joes also has some great Prices on QUALITY stuff.

or check out Aldis

Heading to DW for our first time next month from the west coast. I was wondering where is a cheap and easy place to grab groceries? We fly into MCO in the afternoon and are staying at Windsor Hills. I am a amazon prime and Costco member and am familiar with Walmart. Is Walmart going to be my best bet? We have a grocery outlet store here that I frequent and I wasn't sure if there was something similar down there. We are a large family so I was hoping to find an affordable option for groceries :) Thanks in advance!

In the area, Walmart would be cheapest, but also very crowded, thus not necessarily easy. Aldi has great prices, and is a smaller store. The have a lot of non-name brand items at Aldi, which helps the savings. You can find one between the airport and Windsor Hills. Publix is the best shopping experience. Not the cheapest, but not outrageous. You can look on iheartpublix.com to see what's on sale.

When we stayed onsite we would frequent the Walmart on Vineland Rd (535). Easily accessible via W. Osceola Parkway or World Center Drive. As others have noted, Walmart is overall the cheapest. Which probably explains why they are always busy.

I will also second the recommendation for Publix. Good bakery and deli. Pleasant customer service. There is a Publix on Vineland just south of the Walmart.

Now during our snowbird visits we split our shopping between Walmart and Publix.

I suggest you use Google maps to see how close you are going to be to most places. I am assuming you will have a car to get to these places easily. To get to the Walmart on Hwy 27 you come out of Windsor Hills and go towards 192 and turn left. Follow signs for Hwy 27 and you will run right into Walmart. Or you can leave Windsor Hills, turn right on 192 and go down a couple miles to Poinciana Blvd. Make a left and again, you will run into a Walmart. Either one is probably only 10 minutes away. In your travels in either direction you will pass a Publix. Either to your left near Orange Lake or to your right in Celebration. Everything is very close. Now as far as Costco, there is one nearby but not sure where.

If you are flying I wouldn't recommend Costco. First it is a bit of a hike away (@Millennia). Second, with their large packaging sizes, how many things can you but that you can realistically finish off in a week before you fly home. Sure, a few things, but mostly you are going to have to stop elsewhere for reasonable sizes of many staples. Better to pick just one stop.

We shop Publix primarily in Orlando, with additions from Whole Foods and Walmart or SuperTarget if needed. I generally only hit Walmart on weekdays after the weekend insanity has subsided, or if arriving late at night as they are open 24h.

Prices at Publix can be quite reasonable if you're flexible on brands. They always have some decent sales in each major food category. For example, if you're not fussy with the specific brand of chips, soda, or cereal, there's usually one on sale. Many times, the sales are Buy 1-Get 1 free.

Publix & Target & Walmart

Go out of Windsor Hills . Turn Left onto Hwy 192

Turn Left ( West ) drive along for about 2 miles & Before Overpass Bridge

On your Left ( at Traffic Lights ) will be TARGET & lots of eating places .... try them

On Your Right there is a Publix

Go Straight on Hwy 192 & you will pass another Publix

Turn Right onto Hwy 27 North & within 1/2 mile on your Right will be Walmart

Walmart at Cagan,s Crossing

It is about a 15 min drive

There's four Walmarts in the tourist areas:

1.Turkey Lake rd reaching Sand Lk rd,closer to Sea World and Universal,pretty nice store but can be a madhouse with tourists at times

2.535 and Osceola Pkwy,if you're staying closer to Kissimmee and that south Lake Buena Vista area,not my favorite one to go to but convenient to a lot of the tourist areas

3.New Independence Pkwy and hwy 429,located in a new housing development with nearly no traffic and the nicest of the Walmarts as its almost brand new.Not really easy to get to unless you're staying at Disney and can access the 429 expressway or Reams rd to get to it,but the lack of dealing with heavy tourist traffic may make it worthwhile

4.Cagans crossing on US 27 just north of 192,definitely the most convenient if staying in the western areas of 192 or one of the many rental houses in the area.Has a more laid back feel with fewer tourists

There's also two very good Super Targets in the area

1.on 192 by the 429 expressway,west of Disney but very close to AK getting to it using sherbeth rd.Very nice store.

2.Winter Garden village,Winter Garden Vineland and the 429 expressway,big shopping complex with tons of shopping and dining options,also a very nice store,definitely an option if driving into Disney using the turnpike and the 429 expressway if you want to pick up some things before coming into Disney.

Trader Joes and Whole Foods are both located on Sand Lake rd around Restaurant row close to Universal and just past Sea World

Publix stores are everywhere as they are the most popular grocery store in Florida.Winn Dixie has a location in Lake Buena Vista just north of Hotel Plaza blvd by Disney Springs

Last edited:
In the area, Walmart would be cheapest, but also very crowded, thus not necessarily easy. Aldi has great prices, and is a smaller store. The have a lot of non-name brand items at Aldi, which helps the savings. You can find one between the airport and Windsor Hills. Publix is the best shopping experience. Not the cheapest, but not outrageous. You can look on iheartpublix.com to see what's on sale.

With publix you can also sign up for free for their ecoupons. You don't need a keychain card or anything. You just go on their site, "clip" the coupons to your account which is your phone number I believe and when you buy those things, you just give them your phone number at the checkout and the ecoupons are applied. We did this in January.

I just found out a few ideas that will be new to me. You say you are an Amazon Prime member. Well I just learned on the "We Love Bonnet Creek Board" that someone placed their grocery order thru "Amazon Prime Now" and had their groceries delivered in about 2 hours!! Talk about convenience!!!! I wasn't aware of this being offered but this is why these forums are so GREAT!!! Sharing useful information with each other. Anyway....I don't order from Amazon enough to be a Prime Member so that won't work for me. But I decided to go looking around for other options. I found out that Walmart and Publix grocery stores in Orlando/Kissimmee/LBV areas, allow you to shop online and they will deliver your groceries to your door. Now the question is, will Windsor Hills or other resorts allow them to deliver directly to you. You will have to find out. The person at WBC said Amazon Prime dropped it off at the front desk and the bell service delivered it to her room immediately. So I know delivery is allowed at WBC. Anyway, I think this is a nice option to consider. Windsor Hills is near a few Publix grocery stores. The one in Celebration and the one at Orange Lake are close to Windsor Hills. I signed up for their shoppers card for discounts and coupons. I can't wait to do it !!! Usually, our first day, I make a grocery run as soon as we get keys to our unit. Now with this option, no more running out and putting up with the crowds. I can settle in and relax while waiting for my grocery delivery. While I'm at it, I may as well order pizza delivery for the first night. Better yet, Publix has lots of pre-made meal options, I may order something and pop it in the oven and let it cook while I soak away the stresses of the day in the Jacuzzi tub!!! Online grocery shopping with delivery makes the options endless and provides such a convenience !!!! Oh, and it looks like Publix and Walmart are providing a $10 discount for first time orders so that is even more of an incentive to try it!! I can't wait!!!!

I do not like others to do my shopping for me. Since you are at WH, I assume you will have a vehicle. We went to the Wally World on Vineland. It has a huge Disney section and vacationer section of stuff. Then, it has all of the grocery staples. I was surprised at how nice the meat section was and I am very picky with the meat I buy. It definitely gets crowded during the peak arrival days. The manager told us that we arrived about 2-3 hours before the massive rush (about 9AM). She said from noon on that it is slammed. I have seen it that way and it is no fun. If you can swing it, go early the next morning of arrival to do your shopping. You can get almost everything except alcohol (no sales before 7AM I think).

As others have stated, you have a lot of options. It comes down to what you really want to do. Publix is great and their prices were reasonable if you only bought the items on sale. That's what we did. Plus, there grab and go meals can't be beat.

I do not like others to do my shopping for me. Since you are at WH, I assume you will have a vehicle. We went to the Wally World on Vineland. It has a huge Disney section and vacationer section of stuff. Then, it has all of the grocery staples. I was surprised at how nice the meat section was and I am very picky with the meat I buy. It definitely gets crowded during the peak arrival days. The manager told us that we arrived about 2-3 hours before the massive rush (about 9AM). She said from noon on that it is slammed. I have seen it that way and it is no fun. If you can swing it, go early the next morning of arrival to do your shopping. You can get almost everything except alcohol (no sales before 7AM I think).

As others have stated, you have a lot of options. It comes down to what you really want to do. Publix is great and their prices were reasonable if you only bought the items on sale. That's what we did. Plus, there grab and go meals can't be beat.

I don't think I would want anyone shopping for meat for me either. :sad2: Well a pack of sausage or bacon or prepacked deli meat would be fine. But if we were into grilling, I agree that I would have to pick up steak and other meats myself. For the most part we eat dinner out the first night or two. We usually order pizza from Flippers which seems to have become our first night tradition. During our 2 weeks of vacation I am sure I will not be able to avoid the grocery store completely. Eventually I will need to run in and pick up an item or two. I will just have the main items delivered such as: water, juice, soda, laundry supplies, chips, eggs, prepackaged deli meat and cheese, bread, mayo and other stuff. I wont have to park the car...shop....load up the car....drive....unload the car and carry the things to my room and put them away. Instead, someone else shops for me...loads up their car....and brings it to me. I figure if I arrive at resort on Saturday, check-in. Sit by the pool with umbrella drink while I wait for room assignment. When my room has been assigned, I will send my order over to Publix/Walmart. Go up to the room and get settled in and enjoy some quiet balcony time while I wait. Groceries arrive, put them away. Rest and Relaxation. I really am looking forward to trying this and hope it goes well. Sounds to me like it's going to become my "NEW" routine for arrival day. No more hustle and bustle in the grocery store on arrival day!!!!
:cool1:

The new Walmart on the corner of Old Lake Wilson Road and 192 must be getting close to completion. It is going to be super convenient as it is within walking distance to WH. Mind you there may be more issues turning left on to Old Lake Wilson Road due to increased traffic! We watched it being constructed this spring and it looks like it will have a huge parking lot. It will also be the closest gas station to WH. Rumour has it that Walmart wanted a Supercentre closer to Disney!

The new Walmart on the corner of Old Lake Wilson Road and 192 must be getting close to completion. It is going to be super convenient as it is within walking distance to WH. Mind you there may be more issues turning left on to Old Lake Wilson Road due to increased traffic! We watched it being constructed this spring and it looks like it will have a huge parking lot. It will also be the closest gas station to WH. Rumour has it that Walmart wanted a Supercentre closer to Disney!

WHAT????? :banana: They are putting a Walmart there!!!! :cheer2: I had NO IDEA !!!! I didn't notice any construction for it last year. OMG!!! This is just too good to be true!! If it is done by August that will be GREAT. Now I am convinced I need to score Westgate Vacation Villas for a week. They are located right off 192 & Old Lake Wilson Road too. Right before you get to Windsor Hills. Then they will be closer to Orange Lake as well. Right down the road. I am loving this!!! May the timeshare Gods smile upon me and get me into Westgate and Orange Lake this year!!!
:worship::worship:

I also inquired at the Walmart over on 27 and they said the same thing.
( we hope they open earlier though )

I just stumbled across this thread. I am curious, where on 27 might they be building a new Walmart?

I had heard a rumor that they were building a Walmart on Osceola Polk Line Rd between Lake Wilson Rd and I-4. We were excited with that possibility as that would be close to us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter