Cheaper flights

Kate_45

Mouseketeer
So we have been saving £100 a month for Disney 2020 for 4years so far. Thought we would have plenty to cover it but with the dining coming out we've costed it out and the prices are ridiculous! We're saving by renting a place off site but the tickets for our family of four are coming in at almost £3000 for Disney and universal whether we buy them through British or American site. This isn't something we can change and so has anyone got any tips for saving on the flights?

We live near Heathrow and so get get to that airport without transport costs (well £3 on the bus) and are happy to go non direct. Alternatively we're happy to drive to a cheaper UK airport if savings outweigh parking costs.
We're planning to go the end of August. How far in advance should we book flights? Should we look at flights from Paris or Dublin and book our travel to those places separately? I'm sure there must be people on here who have monitored flights over time. I foolishly only monitored the fun stuff, like new rides.

Many thanks in advance.

Hi -I agree everything seems to be getting more expensive, partly due to stronger dollar exchange rates! I think watching from 330 days out for flights, I booked indirect flights in September 2017 for June 18 for c. €1500 for 4. I don't know how long you are planning to stay but you could save money by focusing on one set of parks - a UK Disney 21 day ticket is only slightly more expensive that a 7 day ticket, and allows really relaxed half day visits, there is loads to do, including lots of free stuff around Disney. I have stayed off-site and on-site, and depending on how many are in the room and how likely you are to buy character meals etc, the off-site might save less than you think. Good luck, I am looking for flight in 2020 also!

Thanks! So that was 9 months out and from Dublin? (Saw the euros).

We won't be going back and my daughter is a Harry potter fan so we really want to do both sets of parks, hence the pricey tickets.

Have costed out all of the options for food and accommodation. I'm a bit of a planning geek for that sort of thing and so have a spreadsheet with all the options including various upgrades and meal plans, parking, car hire etc.
I'm pretty happy that we know where the savings are there. Hurts a bit though. Last time (2010) we got upgraded from POFQ to a 2br in OKW for free and I think it cost us per person including flight, tickets and dining plan about a grand each.
Sigh.

You could fly from Dublin and book cheap Ryan air or Easyjet flights to get you there. Norwegian air are very reasonable but I think they fly out of Gatwick. Icelandic Air are also quite good but again I think it's Gatwick. Have you looked at the charters? I'm in the north and Thomas Cook are very reasonable from Manchester.

American Airlines are often reasonable too with a change in Philadelphia.

For tickets, have you looked at buying just the days you need for Universal? We're staying three nights at Royal Pacific in summer so I'm only buying a two day ticket and not a park to park as we'll do one day in each. I'm buying off the USA site which has worked out much cheaper than the UK 14 day ticket.

That was a great deal in 2010 - I would love to stay at OKW if it ever comes up for my dates for 2020 free dining!

Just a thought You are renting Off Site ...... do you mean ... Not a Disney Hotel ?

If you Are renting away from Disney & Have a car then there is NO NEED for Disney Dining Plan

There are Many Many good places to eat at $ 20 to $ 30 per person ( And no set Time )

Longhorn Steakhouse , Texas Road House , Manny's ChopHouse , And Golden Corral All you can eat Buffet.

All along Hwy 192 Animal Kingdom end.

Check Aer Lingus from Heathrow to Dublin .

At Dublin you go through Immigration & Customs .... so NO Queing on Arrival in Orlando

Another tick for Dublin here.

Try BA fly/drive with your hone country set to Ireland
Then dub-mco.
Being a fly drive, yiu can put down a deposit and pay off per month.

Try Aer Lingus web site for the same, though they want 50% up front then the rest closer to your departure date

Finally, try ITA Matrix and do a search https://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Try starting cities such as
AMS (Amsterdam)
FRA (Frankfurt)
CDG (Charles de Gaulle)
Lon (all London airports)

ITA will give you various airlines and prices.

Secondly, yes, park tickets are expensive, so what we do is get Universal Annual Passes, and use Universal flexpay
This allows a down payment, then monthly payments, it allows it to be paid off over months, plus the annual pass can get you free parking (only one of you needs the higher cost annual pass for the free parking) and chariots discoubts both inside the two parks as well as at city walk

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts