Cheapness In Seattle (A 2019 PNW Trip Report - 2020 update added on 6/25

Not only that, but she would also have two titanium rods attached to her spinal column in order to help keep it straight—for the rest of her life.
Families from many nations will actually fly in to have their children undergo this surgery at A.I. Dupont Hospital.
Didn't know that. Impressive!
Even with their expertise, we were still somewhat nervous when the day came for the operation.
Of course. How could you not?
It’s only natural as a parent, right?
Correct.
It broke our hearts for her to have to go through it
:hug:
Sarah is the World’s Biggest Harry Potter Fan. This is not an exaggeration. She’s one of those people who can tell you every single character (no matter how minor) and every single fictional location (no matter how trivial) and every single magical spell (no matter how useless). She’s a super-fan.
Yes, I'd say that qualifies. Oy!
And she had always wanted to go to Universal Studios to see the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.
Oh really? Huh. Who would've guessed.
So, we left a stuffed owl and a ticket for the Hogwarts Express at her seat, with a promise to take her to Universal Studios in February 2020.
Nice. How did she react?
Sometimes I really wish we had home-schooled the kids, and the only reason for that is so I could vacation in the offseason.
:rolleyes1
In case you were wondering, her surgery was a total success, she fully recovered, and should be able to live a completely normal life—she was all-conference in high school field hockey, played golf, will be able to have children, and most importantly for this trip report, would have no restrictions for riding roller coasters.
I did know most of that. And consider it... extraordinarily remarkable.
I tried to pull off this excursion as cheaply as possible, mostly because we were still planning our big Alaskan Extravaganza for Summer 2020 which I knew would be insanely expensive, but there was no way that trip was ever going to be cancelled.
Um...

er...
they offer lots of ridiculously low airfares (I’ve seen as low as $19 one-way)
Whoa!!
We planned to check one bag, and then I learned from a friend that a backpack counts as a “personal Item” (no fee) rather than a “carry-on” for Frontier. So we ended up paying one bag fee and then everyone jammed everything they could into 6 backpacks. It worked.
Nice tip you got there!
what’s the point of eating at McDonald’s if you don’t get the fries?
Correct.
Just don't go if you're not going to have fries.
Those sweatshirts are pretty cool, right? Get ready to see a LOT of them.
Well... they are cool.
The flight was uneventful, save for the 10-minute long sales pitch for the Frontier credit card. That was a new experience for me—I couldn’t recall being on a flight where I was hit with such an aggressive sales pitch before. It kept going and going and going…I mean, I’ve endured halftime shows that went by more quickly than this.
Huh. I know WestJet has a very brief announcement about there's, but... 10 minutes????
Anyway, we landed safely in Fort Lauderdale, which is where the Orlando runway seems like it’s located,
:laughing:
We picked up the rental ( a nice Chrysler Pacifica, night and day better than our usual Dodge Caravan)
Huh. I've only had the (dis)pleasure of renting a Caravan.
That side trip went well except for the part where I rounded a corner and came face to face with a driver going the wrong way on the road.
:sad2: Tourists...
he finally did a 23-point turn and got out of the way.
On the downside, this hotel does not come with the free Express Pass that gets everyone to the front of the lines
Yeah... when K and I went it was totally worth it. But it's not always the case.
In order to stay at a deluxe hotel, I’d have to rent 2 rooms.
Ouch. $$$$$
We’d just have to stand in line with the rest of the peons and hope it wasn’t so crowded that we’d be stuck there forever.
You should try this thing called "rope drop".
I do have to admit up front that I’m just not a fan of the theme. They pulled off the kitschy 60’s theme very well, and it does absolutely nothing for me. Both of those things can be true at the same time. I prefer the transporting, exotic feel of the Wilderness or Animal Kingdom Lodge. Or, if we’re comparing moderates, I liked Port Orleans Riverside and Coronado Springs more. Another point in Disney’s favor.
Interesting commentary.
The lobby was insanely crowded. So much for light January crowds.
Whoa....
Even better, I spotted one of my pet peeves: employees behind the desk working on something and studiously avoiding eye contact with all of the people standing in line that they aren’t helping.
I always wonder what could it be that they're doing that is more important than helping guests?
45 minutes later—no Express Pass for check-in—we finally got called up to the desk to check in.
:faint:
It was then that we were informed that the computer systems were down and everyone was getting checked in by hand.
Ah. Well, that explains it.
We drove around back and struggled to find a single open parking space. We might have had an easier time of it if this guy hadn’t decided to sleep in a hotel rather than the camping trailer he’d brought along to take up 6 spaces.

I have too many comments... and non are DISboards friendly.
And the view across the way:
Nice!
Just outside the lobby, they had a bunch of classic cars lined up. I thought that was a nice touch.
That's a cool touch... ::yes::
This was before we read the sign saying to please not lean on the cars. Whoops.

No. Not even close.

That day was so surreal. I remember Julie and me eating lunch in the hospital cafeteria and thinking, "Wow, my daughter is lying on a table somewhere in this building with her spine exposed right now." And here we were eating sandwiches.

By the way, I really appreciated you calling me and checking in that day. That was both sweet and unexpected.:flower3:

But this was close! Really happy you could go home and rest while she recovered at night.

They let one parent stay overnight, and she remained for 3 nights. I think Julie stayed for 2 and I stayed for 1.

Yes.

Being a surgical RN, I've seen enough codes and close calls that no one could have predicted. My dad, a retired anesthesiologist gave me the best advice I've ever gotten. Never become complacent; NO surgery, no matter how routine...... isn't.

It's a tribute to modern medicine that we almost think of major surgery as routine. But it's really only routine when it's happening to somebody else.

YUS! Fuel for the day!

And every day!

As she should!

It was definitely a pilgrimage for her. She'd waited a long time.

Loads of good reasons to homeschool (did for over 20 years) but that certainly is a great one.

I don't think Julie and I have the temperament for it. We've learned that this last month! She's always said she's better at teaching other people's kids.

Now THAT is successful!

It really, truly is amazing what modern medicine can do.

You. Did. Not.

And we lived to tell the tale!

That's it!! This TR has become too unpredictable. I'm leaving....

And here I thought you guys would enjoy a twist.

Okay, I'm back. I have to know where you ended up eating and what rides you did.

Spoiler alert: these may involve the Wizarding World.

Well, poo poo.That super stinks.

Poo poo does indeed stink. So does not having an Express Pass.

Nor am I. Just not my style at all. But.... at the risk of a major spoiler, I did love the pool there.

It was in the 60's the whole time we were there, so we never bothered to try it out.

Hmm, I have an almost identical photo of one of those cars, except it's me posing.

Well, good! It would be weird if you had a photo of us instead.

We've made a lot of those jokes over the years.

Didn't know that. Impressive!

It was nice having them so close to us.

Of course. How could you not?

At the same time, I also trusted the doctors completely. Does that make sense/

Yes, I'd say that qualifies. Oy!

I can't really complain. I wasted all of my brain cells on movie quotes.

Oh really? Huh. Who would've guessed.

She only had to wait about 12 years to get there.

Nice. How did she react?

Well, it was kind of underplayed. She's like her mom in that she is not given to big emotional outbursts. She also was nervous about surgery. And it was 4 a.m.

I did know most of that. And consider it... extraordinarily remarkable.

It's amazing. Utterly incredible.

Um...

er...

Sigh.

As they say, you get what you pay for.

Nice tip you got there!

That definitely saved us! But we'd have been sunk if we were going for longer than 3 days.

Correct.
Just don't go if you're not going to have fries.

Pretty much, yeah.

Well... they are cool.

I think they look sharp. But they were determined to wear them as a Harry Potter tribute...throughout the trip.

Huh. I know WestJet has a very brief announcement about there's, but... 10 minutes????

It felt so much longer. Just shut up already! I don't need another credit card!

Huh. I've only had the (dis)pleasure of renting a Caravan.

We had agreed ahead of time that if they let us pick from the row, we look for anything besides a Caravan. They had exactly one van that was not a Caravan. We ran.

:sad2: Tourists...

Gave me a bit of a jolt, that's for sure.

Yeah... when K and I went it was totally worth it. But it's not always the case.

I would love to have had it, but not for over $500.

Ouch. $$$$$

Yep.

You should try this thing called "rope drop".

Well, we're getting there.

Interesting commentary.

I should add that it was cheaper to get 6 in one room here than almost anywhere at Disney World. So they should get a point for that fact.

I usually enjoy retro stuff, but this theme...I dunno, maybe I just don't like the 60's. If it was a Roaring 20's speakeasy, I'd probably be in love with it.

I always wonder what could it be that they're doing that is more important than helping guests?

Exactly. Or when somebody finishes up helping a guest, you think it's your turn, and then the worker turns and leaves their station.

Ah. Well, that explains it.

I was glad there was at least an explanation for it.

I have too many comments... and non are DISboards friendly.

I had to keep from letting my kids hear my own commentary.

That's a cool touch...

Can't go wrong with old classic cars.

We've made a lot of those jokes over the years.
Well earned.
At the same time, I also trusted the doctors completely. Does that make sense/
::yes::
Have had some medical issues with both DDs. You have to trust... to a degree. They also need to earn it.
I can't really complain. I wasted all of my brain cells on movie quotes.
Dude. We all know this about you.
Well, it was kind of underplayed. She's like her mom in that she is not given to big emotional outbursts. She also was nervous about surgery. And it was 4 a.m.
Ah. And that's okay. :)
I think they look sharp. But they were determined to wear them as a Harry Potter tribute...throughout the trip.
Oh, it's only one weekend. And would you rather they pack more? Perhaps bring a few extra bags along? Hmmmmm???
It felt so much longer. Just shut up already! I don't need another credit card!
I wonder if anyone has ever gotten a credit card at the urging of a flight attendant.
We had agreed ahead of time that if they let us pick from the row, we look for anything besides a Caravan. They had exactly one van that was not a Caravan. We ran.
:laughing: I bet!
I would love to have had it, but not for over $500.
Nope.
I usually enjoy retro stuff, but this theme...I dunno, maybe I just don't like the 60's. If it was a Roaring 20's speakeasy, I'd probably be in love with it.
That'd be pretty cool, actually!
Exactly. Or when somebody finishes up helping a guest, you think it's your turn, and then the worker turns and leaves their station.
Well... I kinda get that one. I mean, I don't know if they've already been working for hours and need a break.
I had to keep from letting my kids hear my own commentary.

That day was so surreal. I remember Julie and me eating lunch in the hospital cafeteria and thinking, "Wow, my daughter is lying on a table somewhere in this building with her spine exposed right now." And here we were eating sandwiches.

By the way, I really appreciated you calling me and checking in that day. That was both sweet and unexpected.:flower3:

I'll bet it was!! But you handled with grace and strength.

And you are very welcome. My pleasure. :)

They let one parent stay overnight, and she remained for 3 nights. I think Julie stayed for 2 and I stayed for 1.

I think just having the comfort of a parent there went a LOOOOOOONG way in keeping her pain lessened, her anxiet at bay, and generally helped her recover a whole lot quicker. (Yes, that's been studied ad naseum, actually.)

It's a tribute to modern medicine that we almost think of major surgery as routine. But it's really only routine when it's happening to somebody else.

My dad, a retired anesthesiologist, once gave me the best and most valued piece of wisdom I've ever gotten in terms of my career being a surgical/recovery nurse. "There is no such thing as 'minor' or 'routine' surgery. NEVER become complacent or lazy".

And every day!

Absolutely.

It was definitely a pilgrimage for her. She'd waited a long time.

That she did!! And it sure looks like she had a great time!

I don't think Julie and I have the temperament for it. We've learned that this last month! She's always said she's better at teaching other people's kids.

Once upon a time I had an obstinate high schooler... he went to international boarding school.

It really, truly is amazing what modern medicine can do.

I truly is. I postulate it's a tool the Master's Hands.

And here I thought you guys would enjoy a twist.

Spoiler alert: these may involve the Wizarding World.

Finally!! A return to TR predictability!

Poo poo does indeed stink. So does not having an Express Pass.

Perhaps it's a testament to my childish sense of humor, but I literally just laughed out loud.

It was in the 60's the whole time we were there

Yes, both decoratively and meterlogically speaking, it was.
Well, good! It would be weird if you had a photo of us instead.
What? You don't want your very own paparazzi? Fine, I'll pack up my toys and go home next time.

Have had some medical issues with both DDs. You have to trust... to a degree. They also need to earn it.

Very true. I try hard to ask good questions but also respect that they know more than I do.

Dude. We all know this about you.

Well then why don't you make like a tree...and get outta here.

Oh, it's only one weekend. And would you rather they pack more? Perhaps bring a few extra bags along? Hmmmmm???

Nah, I didn't care so much. Didn't sit next to them on the plane, either.

I wonder if anyone has ever gotten a credit card at the urging of a flight attendant.

I'm gonna have to guess...no.

That'd be pretty cool, actually!

It would certainly have better style!

Well... I kinda get that one. I mean, I don't know if they've already been working for hours and need a break.

Maybe, but it sure looks bad from a customer service standpoint.

I'll bet it was!! But you handled with grace and strength.

And you are very welcome. My pleasure.

:goodvibes

I think just having the comfort of a parent there went a LOOOOOOONG way in keeping her pain lessened, her anxiet at bay, and generally helped her recover a whole lot quicker. (Yes, that's been studied ad naseum, actually.)

I'm not sure how Sarah felt, but I knew that Julie and I both didn't want to leave her alone!

My dad, a retired anesthesiologist, once gave me the best and most valued piece of wisdom I've ever gotten in terms of my career being a surgical/recovery nurse. "There is no such thing as 'minor' or 'routine' surgery. NEVER become complacent or lazy".

Agreed 100%.

That she did!! And it sure looks like she had a great time!

Of course, it's a theme park!

Once upon a time I had an obstinate high schooler... he went to international boarding school.

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

I truly is. I postulate it's a tool the Master's Hands.

I like that!

Finally!! A return to TR predictability!

This thing will write itself now!

Perhaps it's a testament to my childish sense of humor, but I literally just laughed out loud.

Mission accomplished!

Yes, both decoratively and meterlogically speaking, it was.

Hey, nicely done there.

What? You don't want your very own paparazzi? Fine, I'll pack up my toys and go home next time.

I remember a friend joking once that he'd love to play a prank where he followed a family around Disney World all day and appear in the background of all of their photos.:rotfl2:

Very true. I try hard to ask good questions but also respect that they know more than I do.
But doesn't just about everyone fall into that category?
Well then why don't you make like a tree...and get outta here.
McFly!
Nah, I didn't care so much. Didn't sit next to them on the plane, either.
Win, win!
Maybe, but it sure looks bad from a customer service standpoint.
Hmmm...
What's worse? Being on hold where you can't see who you're waiting on or being in a line and seeing someone leave the desk?

Bonus Chapter 2: Harry Potter and the Park-to-Park Pass

At long last, I finally discovered what it was like to have the pkondz Honorary Bus Pass. We walked right up to the bus stop at Cabana Bay to find not one, not two, but three separate buses lined up waiting to take us to the parks.

Of course, not all of them had drivers, but the buses were there.

We only needed one driver, and we had that in short order, so it didn’t take more than a couple of minutes before we were off. It was a short trip to the central visitor hub of Universal Studios, and we disembarked and then climbed the stairs to get to the security gate just before the walkway to the theme parks.

In our entire weekend at Universal, I don’t think we ever waited for a bus. There was always one at the stop ready to take on passengers whenever we arrived. So that was definitely a point in Universal’s favor. Granted, they have a lot less ground to cover between properties than Disney World.

Another point in Universal’s favor is the fact that there is only one security checkpoint, and it’s far from the entrances to the theme parks. It got crowded if several buses arrived at the same time, but we usually moved through quickly and efficiently. And after that, we could move between Universal, Islands of Adventure, and Citywalk freely without having to pass through endless bag search kabuki theater over and over again.

IMG_0411.jpg

For our first day in the parks, we lined up at the gates of Universal Studios so we could take advantage of the early opening for resort guests. We arrived somewhere around 7:20 a.m. for an 8:00 opening and were only a few spots back from the turnstiles. It’s always boring to stand around and wait, but at least the background music consisted of some great movie themes like Back to the Future, Apollo 13, and E.T.

Unlike our Disney World trips, I did not have a detailed plan of attack for Universal. I had been to Universal Studios exactly once in my life, way back in the Dark Ages when I was still in college. At that time, Islands of Adventure didn’t exist. The major rides were Jaws, King Kong (the original), Back to the Future, and another ride that simulated a tornado (I think). None of those rides exist in their original form anymore. For the record, I loved the Jaws and Back to the Future rides. At least, I think I did. My memory is getting hazier every day.

The plan for this weekend, however, was to focus solely on Harry Potter. I literally did not care about anything else. If we went on other rides and enjoyed them, that would be great. But I wanted to make sure, first and foremost, that we did everything we could in the Wizarding World.

During our early entry hour, there were exactly two (2) attractions that would be open: Minions and Escape from Gringotts. When the gates opened, we followed 90% of the crowd and headed straight for Gringotts.

Of course, the Diagon Alley area is way in the back of the park. Most people that got in ahead of us seemed to know exactly where they were going, so we were content to follow along.

We reached the back of the park, where we found a façade of Kings Cross Station in London next to a row of ordinary-looking townhomes from an average English city street. The only item slightly out of place was a double-decker purple bus across the street. The line of people were heading towards a small opening in the wall under one of the townhomes.

That, of course, is the entrance to Diagon Alley. It’s so unassuming and inconspicuous, and I love it. It fits perfectly with the stories—the idea that the world of magic is hidden away, just out of sight in a mundane world. We stepped through the opening and into Diagon Alley.

The first thing you notice is the dragon. How could you not? It’s kind of big and scary-looking and centrally located.

Oh, and it breathes fire every once in a while, which will never not be awesome.

The dragon makes for an impressive icon marking the location of the Escape from Gringotts ride. Kind of hard to miss the entrance.

Of course, first we had to stow everything we owned, carried, or thought we might have to carry at some undetermined point in the future in the lockers. For some inexplicable reason, Universal does not build any capacity into their ride vehicles for you to put common items like purses, sunglasses, and hats away while you ride. Instead, they force everyone to temporarily place all of these loose items into lockers that are unlocked through various methods (your ticket, fingerprint scans, etc.) and remain free of charge during your ride (based on the current wait time plus a grace period).

The problem is that these rides are very popular and the locker rooms are about the size of the parent waiting area next to the “play gym” of your average fast food restaurant. The poor team members are trying to tell everyone to only have one person per family go in to get a locker. But that leaves a choice for people like me: either my whole family goes in and we take up the entire room, or I have to attempt to juggle the various belongings of 6 people while also juggling the tickets in order to scan it and open a locker which will inevitably be on the floor several rows away from the scanner.

We tried the compromise position of having one or two others go in with me, but it still felt like a zoo every single time. In short, I’m not a fan of the locker system. Just put bins in your ride vehicles, Universal. One point for Disney. Hopefully you guys are keeping track of these points, because I’m not.

Once the locker fiasco was over, we entered the Gringotts building and got in line. The wait time was only posted at 20 minutes, so we felt justified in coming here for rope drop. We sped through the impressive bank room, with the lifelike goblins manning their desks and giving us the stinkeye every once in a while.

From there, we were led to an elevator that took us down to the vaults in the depths below. As you can see, these things really go a long way.

The queue and pre-show were all terrific. Detailed and extremely well done. Drew was getting nervous during the build-up, so we did our usual tender and soothing encouragement to help calm him down on the way. Or we told him he’d be fine and to keep moving so we didn’t hold up the line. One of those.

The ride itself was a lot of fun. The tilt track at the start is a neat surprise, and the movement of the car works well with the 3D displays. In every ride-through, I had absolutely no idea what Bellatrix was shouting at me, although I may have caught a stray line about not squeezing the Charmin. But the story isn’t much of a concern. You want to go fast, see cool effects, feel like you’re in danger, and escape. It’s actually fairly tame, making it a great family ride. We all loved it, even Drew (just like we knew he would).

Continued Next Post

Bonus Chapter 2 continued...

Now we just wanted to wander and explore Diagon Alley. Everything you’ve heard about how good the theming is for the Wizarding World. Universal really upped their game, and it shows. The details are amazing.

I will confess that I am not nearly the Harry Potter expert that my daughter is. I read the first book, and enjoyed it, and have meant to read the rest of the series but have not gotten around to doing so yet. I did see all of the movies, but of course I have been informed that the books are WAY better (they almost always are). So I have a passing knowledge of the stories but there are a lot of things that go over my head.

Curiously, I found the movies to follow a sort of reverse-Star Trek order. With Star Trek movies, the odd-numbered ones were terrible and the even-numbered ones were good. Harry Potter kind of went the other way, where the odd numbered ones were good and the even were lousy, but that pattern was eventually ruined by movie number 7. That one was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1, where they tried to split the final book into two movies but saved all the good stuff for movie number 2, meaning the first part was 2.5 hours of nothing happening, much like watching The English Patient. Thankfully, the second part was much better.

But I digress. The point is, the theme parks look like you walked right into the movie. They’re amazing. I loved that they weren’t just built on a regular grid of streets, but rather there were alleys and side doors and all sorts of little corners to discover. The sense of discovery was alive there and as good as anything Disney Parks have ever done.

We decided to try and explore Ollivander’s (the magic wand shop) before it got too crowded. We got in line for the show and had to wait through maybe 1-2 iterations of it before it was our turn. The show was cute. Just enough effects and magic to make it feel like a worthwhile diversion. It accomplished its number one goal, which was to get us to buy an interactive wand so we could play the little “magic” games scattered throughout the park (similar to the Agent P spy missions in Epcot).

I mean, there was no way my daughter was coming to the Wizarding World and NOT buying a wand. Pshaw.

We wandered some more, and you may be shocked to learn that the Weasleys Prank Store (whatever it’s called) was a particular favorite of our family. It’s hard to pull my—excuse me, PUT my finger on exactly why.

Time was a-wastin’, and we still had more Harry Potter rides to try. But in order to do that, we needed to move to Islands of Adventure. So we walked over to Kings Cross Station.

This was a long walk to actually get to Platform 9 ¾, but they had some nice Easter eggs along the way and a cute way to let you walk “through” the wall to get to the platform.

Visitors need a park-to-park pass to ride the Hogwarts Express, so this was a pretty brilliant way for Universal to ensure that visitors would pony up extra cash for the pass. Since we were basically there only to see the Harry Potter stuff, it felt like we needed to spring for it in order to see everything. Is this one ride worth the cost of that pass? Of course not.

However, I did get a third day free in the parks due to a promotion they were offering at the time, so in the end it felt like a wash to us. And the train ride is a neat way to travel between parks. It feels seamless, like you never leave the Wizarding World. Which, in a way, is true.

Plus, it’s a train. Guys always like trains.

We got off in Hogsmeade, and there was a huge difference in crowds. This place seemed mobbed. We had figured that there was no way we were getting on the new Hagrid’s Motorbikes coaster—and we were right. The posted wait time was about 4 hours. We could see the line stretched down the street. That was ok, though—we had two more days to try and get to it. We went past Hogsmeade to the Forbidden Journey queue.

Gotta admit, Hogwarts looks really cool.

It was here we had a decision to make. The posted wait time for Forbidden Journey was 60 minutes. I usually don’t wait 60 minutes for anything. But we could see how crowded the park was getting, and I didn’t think it was going to be any better anytime soon. Drew didn’t want to ride it, and based on what we knew of the ride we thought it probably would be scarier to him than Gringotts was. Julie was going to take him on the Flight of the Hippogriff, but as we stood there the wait time changed from 30 minutes to 60. Ugh. Just by looking at it, I was sure it wasn’t worth 60 minutes.

So, we split up. Julie took Drew off to explore the Dr. Seuss area (more on that later). I went with the big kids to ride Forbidden Journey.

The wait probably was close to 60 minutes (maybe 50?), but we ended not minding too much because a) we kept moving, and b) the queue was again so detailed and full of bits from the movies that it kept us occupied.

As for the ride itself, when it opened, it was considered to be cutting-edge for its blend of motion simulation and dark rides, with a robotic arm that swings your ride vehicle (basically a bench) around into all sorts of fun positions. And now…well, I guess it is still pretty close to state-of-the-art. Disney has surpassed it on motion simulation with Flight of Passage. It’s pretty amazing how quickly technology evolves.

The ride itself is fun. Very herky-jerky, so I can see where it might bother someone with a bad back or motion sickness. Overall, I was more impressed with the motion-simulation parts than the dark room parts. When it was a screen, I felt like I was flying. When it was a dark room, I felt like it was a dark room. I was glad to have ridden it, but liked Gringotts better.

Continued next post...

Bonus Chapter 2 continued..

We spent about 10 minutes trying to get our belongings back from the lockers. The machine there had to read a fingerprint to assign a locker, and the scanners are so worn down that it barely gets a reading. No matter how much I tried to press my finger down or change the angle slightly or any other trick I could think of, the machine refused to believe that I was actually me. I had a terrible crisis of identity right there in the locker room. Who am I really? Why am I even here? Is this all there is to life? Are any of us really, truly alive? How badly do I need my ball cap and sunglasses? If my fingerprints don’t register, could I turn to a life of crime and rob banks?

As it turned out, the answers to those and all of life’s other questions were ultimately meaningless as the scanner finally gave me a green light and the locker popped open.

Julie and Drew met us for lunch back in Hogsmeade at The Three Broomsticks. Drew was bouncing up and down, having had a great time on the Dr. Seuss rides. Julie was…ready for lunch.

Great theming in here.

Rather than ordering separate platters for everyone, we ended up ordering “The Great Feast”, which consisted of a family-style platter with salad, rotisserie chicken, ribs, potatoes, and corn on the cob. I think we got Drew something separate off the kids menu figuring he wouldn’t touch the grown-up food. We also ordered a couple of cream sodas butterbeers, because you kind of have to in Harry Potter land. We got one frozen and one regular in order to do our own taste test.

The Great Feast actually turned out to be a good deal. It says it feeds four, but it ended up feeding all 5 of the adult diets in our family and we didn’t even finish the food on the tray. It was all very tasty, too. I’d definitely eat there again. And I even had some salad, in case you were wondering.

As for the cream soda butterbeer, the frozen butterbeer was the clear winner in the taste test.

So far, we’d made it to lunch time and had crossed off almost every Harry Potter attraction. I’d say we were doing very well. Maybe it was time to venture out further into the rest of Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure. Would we regret that decision?

Coming Up Next: I dunno, would we?

Are you kidding? According to my social media feed, everybody knows more than the experts. On any subject. :rolleyes1

That's about as funny as a screen door on a battleship!

Hmmm...
What's worse? Being on hold where you can't see who you're waiting on or being in a line and seeing someone leave the desk?

Yes.

I remember a friend joking once that he'd love to play a prank where he followed a family around Disney World all day and appear in the background of all of their photos.:rotfl2:
Ooooh....one of these times when I don't have anything specific on my agenda, I might do that. It would be funny.

Even better, if they're using PP and I could get a copy of the photos also. :lmao:

Knows more than Mark? ::yes::

At long last, I finally discovered what it was like to have the pkondz Honorary Bus Pass.
Oooh, that must have set you back a pretty penny...

Another point in Universal’s favor is the fact that there is only one security checkpoint, and it’s far from the entrances to the theme parks.
I do enjoy that about Universal. Even if you park hop or leave to get decent food in Citywalk, you don't have to do another bag check.

For the record, I loved the Jaws and Back to the Future rides.
Same here.
I have been to Universal a couple times but never did The Simpson's ride. I prefer to remember Back to the Future.

another ride that simulated a tornado (I think).
Yes, although more of a show than a ride, for the movie Twister.
You just stood in a room and saw a tornado destroy a drive in theater. Impressive, but not very interactive.

Of course, first we had to stow everything we owned, carried, or thought we might have to carry at some undetermined point in the future in the lockers. For some inexplicable reason, Universal does not build any capacity into their ride vehicles for you to put common items like purses, sunglasses, and hats away while you ride.
This really irritates me about Universal.
Like you, I once had problems with the fingerprint scan not working. At Forbidden Journey it took a good 20 minutes of tracking down a team member wizard to open up the locker and then go through the "is this really your stuff" questions.

The ride itself was a lot of fun. The tilt track at the start is a neat surprise, and the movement of the car works well with the 3D displays.
I am still disappointed I never got to ride Gringotts. I was there a couple months after opening, so it was insanely busy. Got there at rope drop one day to face a 90 minute wait. I swallowed my displeasure and got in line, only to have the ride break down about 30 minutes into the wait. I didn't even get to the inside queue part with the goblins.

Visitors need a park-to-park pass to ride the Hogwarts Express, so this was a pretty brilliant way for Universal to ensure that visitors would pony up extra cash for the pass.
I'm glad I did this once. But I don't think I would pay extra just for that again.

The posted wait time for Forbidden Journey was 60 minutes. I usually don’t wait 60 minutes for anything.
60 minutes is really at the top end of my patience limit, but I will do it.
Unless you're talking about Moana at the Halloween party (2 hours and 24 minutes that I will never forget 493479 )

And I even had some salad, in case you were wondering.
And you lived to tell about it? Brave man...

At long last, I finally discovered what it was like to have the pkondz Honorary Bus Pass. We walked right up to the bus stop at Cabana Bay to find not one, not two, but three separate buses lined up waiting to take us to the parks.
At Uni... I'm not surprised. I've had great success there with transportation (Boat only, however) and @Steppesister just wrote about it on her TR and said much the same.
In our entire weekend at Universal, I don’t think we ever waited for a bus. There was always one at the stop ready to take on passengers whenever we arrived. So that was definitely a point in Universal’s favor.
I think Uni has not only gotten a point in favour... they won the whole transportation show, lock, stock and barrel.
Another point in Universal’s favor is the fact that there is only one security checkpoint,
And if you take the boats, you go through prior to boarding and don't have to again to enter any park.
I had been to Universal Studios exactly once in my life, way back in the Dark Ages when I was still in college. At that time, Islands of Adventure didn’t exist. The major rides were Jaws, King Kong (the original), Back to the Future, and another ride that simulated a tornado (I think). None of those rides exist in their original form anymore. For the record, I loved the Jaws and Back to the Future rides. At least, I think I did. My memory is getting hazier every day.
I remember most of those. I don't remember Jaws, oddly enough, but the tornado ride was called Twister. It came and went in between my visits so never saw it.
But I wanted to make sure, first and foremost, that we did everything we could in the Wizarding World.
Most people that got in ahead of us seemed to know exactly where they were going, so we were content to follow along.
Eventually we all milled about, confused, in a not-yet-open Simpsons land.
The line of people were heading towards a small opening in the wall under one of the townhomes.
It's so well done. First time, I walked right past it.
The first thing you notice is the dragon. How could you not?
It is certainly a bit of an eye catcher.
Oh, and it breathes fire every once in a while, which will never not be awesome.
It's incredible. And that's putting it mildly.
For some inexplicable reason, Universal does not build any capacity into their ride vehicles for you to put common items like purses, sunglasses, and hats away while you ride. Instead, they force everyone to temporarily place all of these loose items into lockers
Yup. One of the best tips I got for Uni was... "Don't bring anything... Seriously!"
We tried the compromise position of having one or two others go in with me, but it still felt like a zoo every single time.
Yeah... I have had to do the lockers, too. And yes... in Potter areas, it's a nightmare.
In short, I’m not a fan of the locker system.
Nope.
Hopefully you guys are keeping track of these points, because I’m not.
Tie game. Bottom of the ninth.
From there, we were led to an elevator that took us down to the vaults in the depths below. As you can see, these things really go a long way.
The queue and pre-show were all terrific. Detailed and extremely well done.
I had absolutely no idea what Bellatrix was shouting at me, although I may have caught a stray line about not squeezing the Charmin.
Oh, good. So it's not just me. Did the ride more than once and... no clue. I think she was angry, though.

Now we just wanted to wander and explore Diagon Alley. Everything you’ve heard about how good the theming is for the Wizarding World. Universal really upped their game, and it shows. The details are amazing.
Amazing seems like such an inadequate word for what they did there. I mean... they really done good.
I read the first book, and enjoyed it, and have meant to read the rest of the series but have not gotten around to doing so yet. I did see all of the movies
Good enough. I'm betting that's probably the majority of the guests.
but of course I have been informed that the books are WAY better
Correct.
Curiously, I found the movies to follow a sort of reverse-Star Trek order. With Star Trek movies, the odd-numbered ones were terrible and the even-numbered ones were good. Harry Potter kind of went the other way, where the odd numbered ones were good and the even were lousy, but that pattern was eventually ruined by movie number 7. That one was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1, where they tried to split the final book into two movies but saved all the good stuff for movie number 2, meaning the first part was 2.5 hours of nothing happening,
Interesting. I hadn't noticed that. Then again, it's been a while since I've watched them in any kind of order.
much like watching The English Patient.
Don't mention that movie!!! :scared:
The sense of discovery was alive there and as good as anything Disney Parks have ever done.
Dare I say... even better?
We decided to try and explore Ollivander’s (the magic wand shop) before it got too crowded. We got in line for the show and had to wait through maybe 1-2 iterations of it before it was our turn. The show was cute. Just enough effects and magic to make it feel like a worthwhile diversion.
Diversion, yes. Not worth waiting more than a few minutes for, though. If I'd waited... oh, probably any more than 20-30 minutes and then seen what it was... I would've been annoyed.
I mean, there was no way my daughter was coming to the Wizarding World and NOT buying a wand. Pshaw.
I think that was a given.
you may be shocked to learn that the Weasleys Prank Store (whatever it’s called) was a particular favorite of our family. It’s hard to pull my—excuse me, PUT my finger on exactly why.
:laughing: No, no surprise.
This was a long walk to actually get to Platform 9 ¾
Isn't it though! Maybe the train doesn't actually move more than a couple feet. You've walked all the way to the next park already.
and a cute way to let you walk “through” the wall to get to the platform.
Is this one ride worth the cost of that pass? Of course not.
Yep. Had that discussion. But! If you have a 2 park pass... you have to do it.
Plus, it’s a train. Guys always like trains.
:thumbsup2
We had figured that there was no way we were getting on the new Hagrid’s Motorbikes coaster—and we were right. The posted wait time was about 4 hours.
Ouch... And... nope!
Gotta admit, Hogwarts looks really cool.
Another thing they did an amazing job on.
Drew didn’t want to ride it, and based on what we knew of the ride we thought it probably would be scarier to him than Gringotts was.
I think so too.
Julie was going to take him on the Flight of the Hippogriff, but as we stood there the wait time changed from 30 minutes to 60. Ugh. Just by looking at it, I was sure it wasn’t worth 60 minutes.
Yeah... no, it's not worth 60 minutes.
the queue was again so detailed and full of bits from the movies that it kept us occupied.
As for the ride itself, when it opened, it was considered to be cutting-edge for its blend of motion simulation and dark rides, with a robotic arm that swings your ride vehicle (basically a bench) around into all sorts of fun positions. And now…well, I guess it is still pretty close to state-of-the-art. Disney has surpassed it on motion simulation with Flight of Passage. It’s pretty amazing how quickly technology evolves.
I agree and disagree. I think FoP is the superior ride. I remember my reactions when I rode them each the first time.
Forbidden Journey "That was fun! Let's go again!"
FoP "Holy cow!!! That was the best ride ever!!"
The ride itself is fun. Very herky-jerky, so I can see where it might bother someone with a bad back or motion sickness.
I did ride again and did feel ill after.
I felt like it was a dark room. I was glad to have ridden it, but liked Gringotts better.
Agree.

No matter how much I tried to press my finger down or change the angle slightly or any other trick I could think of, the machine refused to believe that I was actually me.
Well, I've met you and I can hardly believe you're you.
I had a terrible crisis of identity right there in the locker room. Who am I really? Why am I even here? Is this all there is to life? Are any of us really, truly alive?
Haven't you seen The Matrix?
How badly do I need my ball cap and sunglasses?
Depends on the cost of said ball cap and sunglasses.
If my fingerprints don’t register, could I turn to a life of crime and rob banks?
:lmao:
As it turned out, the answers to those and all of life’s other questions were ultimately meaningless as the scanner finally gave me a green light and the locker popped open.
Shoot.
I was so hoping it didn't work, that you had to get a CM (or whatever they're called) and when he accompanied you, you tried to "show" him how it didn't work and it immediately did.
we ended up ordering “The Great Feast”, which consisted of a family-style platter with salad, rotisserie chicken, ribs, potatoes, and corn on the cob.
Sounds pretty good. I obviously didn't order this for just Elle and I.
We also ordered a couple of cream sodas butterbeers,
:rolleyes:
You are having an identity crisis! Who are you????
Wow! That looks really good!
the frozen butterbeer was the clear winner in the taste test.
Of course it was. There's no question.
Are you kidding? According to my social media feed, everybody knows more than the experts. On any subject. :rolleyes1
Oh, boy. This is so true.
That's about as funny as a screen door on a battleship!

Ooooh....one of these times when I don't have anything specific on my agenda, I might do that. It would be funny.

Even better, if they're using PP and I could get a copy of the photos also.

You'll think it's hilarious, and they'll think you're a creepy stalker and alert the authorities. Fun for everyone!

Knows more than Mark?

I am the proverbial blind squirrel.

Oooh, that must have set you back a pretty penny...

Nothing but the finest for my family.

I do enjoy that about Universal. Even if you park hop or leave to get decent food in Citywalk, you don't have to do another bag check.

Bag check lines are the worst. Only having to do one a day was a big plus.

Same here.
I have been to Universal a couple times but never did The Simpson's ride. I prefer to remember Back to the Future.

Back to the Future was my favorite ride at the time. But I'm a huge Simpson fan, too, so I went ahead and tried it out. Review upcoming.

Yes, although more of a show than a ride, for the movie Twister.
You just stood in a room and saw a tornado destroy a drive in theater. Impressive, but not very interactive.

Ok, I have vague memories of that. Mostly my memory is that it wasn't much of an attraction.

This really irritates me about Universal.
Like you, I once had problems with the fingerprint scan not working. At Forbidden Journey it took a good 20 minutes of tracking down a team member wizard to open up the locker and then go through the "is this really your stuff" questions.

I was just in the process of tracking down the team member when it finally decided that my finger did, in fact, belong to me. Anyway, the lockers suck.

I am still disappointed I never got to ride Gringotts. I was there a couple months after opening, so it was insanely busy. Got there at rope drop one day to face a 90 minute wait. I swallowed my displeasure and got in line, only to have the ride break down about 30 minutes into the wait. I didn't even get to the inside queue part with the goblins.

Man, that stinks. This is why I don't mind waiting and playing the long game to see new attractions. Whenever I get there, it'll be new to me. I was nervous about the lines for Hagrid and whether or not we'd be able to get on that one.

I'm glad I did this once. But I don't think I would pay extra just for that again.

I'm still on the fence. We were there for Harry Potter, so I would have felt like I'd missed out if we hadn't done it. If we go back...I'm still probably only going for the Harry Potter stuff.

60 minutes is really at the top end of my patience limit, but I will do it.
Unless you're talking about Moana at the Halloween party (2 hours and 24 minutes that I will never forget
)

Usually I won't get in a line if the wait time is more than 40 minutes. I figure I should be able to do better than that somewhere. But now it seems like parks are manipulating the wait times more than they used to, so it's harder to trust the number they post.

And you lived to tell about it? Brave man...

Well, it's good roughage anyway.

At Uni... I'm not surprised. I've had great success there with transportation (Boat only, however) and @Steppesister just wrote about it on her TR and said much the same.

Like I said in the update, I know Disney has much more ground to cover, many more resorts and guests to service, more vehicles to maintain, and more routes to run. So I can cut them some slack there.

But Universal did a great job, full stop. I do know that Disney will cut corners when they can, and i do think they can up their transportation game.

I think Uni has not only gotten a point in favour... they won the whole transportation show, lock, stock and barrel.

I would agree with that. If only they had a monorail.

And if you take the boats, you go through prior to boarding and don't have to again to enter any park.

Even better. Again, geography works in their favor, but it just makes more sense that way.

I remember most of those. I don't remember Jaws, oddly enough, but the tornado ride was called Twister. It came and went in between my visits so never saw it.

Jaws was a fun one. That was one of the first rides I can remember where the team member was "acting" and part of the show. Sort of like a more serious Jungle Cruise skipper.

Twister wasn't much of anything, if I recall correctly.

Eventually we all milled about, confused, in a not-yet-open Simpsons land.

:rotfl2: I didn't think Harry Potter would be so...yellow.

It's so well done. First time, I walked right past it.

I love that. It fits with the story.

It is certainly a bit of an eye catcher.

Just a bit.

It's incredible. And that's putting it mildly.

Yes. It's really great.

Yup. One of the best tips I got for Uni was... "Don't bring anything... Seriously!"

I wish I could have done that! It's hard when I have to constantly switch between regular glasses and sunglasses. And I usually wear a cap for the sun. And my increasingly bald head.

Yeah... I have had to do the lockers, too. And yes... in Potter areas, it's a nightmare.

I'm not sure why they decided to go in that direction, but it was such a pain. Probably my least favorite part of the Universal experience.

Tie game. Bottom of the ninth.

So all we need is a field goal.

Oh, good. So it's not just me. Did the ride more than once and... no clue. I think she was angry, though.

Yeah, I got that. I'm used to women being angry with me for no discernible reason, though. :rolleyes1

Amazing seems like such an inadequate word for what they did there. I mean... they really done good.

Yeah, I'm with you. They knocked it out of the park.

Good enough. I'm betting that's probably the majority of the guests.

Probably. I would occasionally ask Sarah to remind me who someone was or about a certain story point.

The books are always better. I guess I'd better get reading.

Interesting. I hadn't noticed that. Then again, it's been a while since I've watched them in any kind of order.

I think the third one was my favorite. Prisoner of Azkaban.

Don't mention that movie!!!

Ugh. 3 hours I'll never get back. How did it win Oscars?

Dare I say... even better?

You can certainly make the argument. I think it's a bit subjective. I don't know that I can say Harry Potter is better than anything Disney has done. I feel like Disney at its best invented the whole idea of detailed theming, so much that it feels like you have left the real world behind. And that there's something to be discovered around the next corner.

Universal definitely caught up with Harry Potter. It's every bit as good. Disney still has the work they've done on Pandora, or at resorts like AKL or Aulani. I love the Maharajah Jungle Trek in Asia--some of the best theme work I've ever seen.

So I think I hold their best work on equal planes. I'm glad to be able to visit and enjoy them. If someone wants to argue that one is better, I think it's mostly a matter of personal taste.

Diversion, yes. Not worth waiting more than a few minutes for, though. If I'd waited... oh, probably any more than 20-30 minutes and then seen what it was... I would've been annoyed.

I think that's about right.

I think that was a given.

No, no surprise.

Drew was a big fan of the giant whoopee cushion. It got quite a few test runs.

Isn't it though! Maybe the train doesn't actually move more than a couple feet. You've walked all the way to the next park already.

It sure felt that way! Do the lines really get that long?

Yep. Had that discussion. But! If you have a 2 park pass... you have to do it.

Yes, absolutely. Much better than walking through the front gates.

Another thing they did an amazing job on.

I think so too.

Hey, we made the right call for once!

Yeah... no, it's not worth 60 minutes.

It's the Barnstormer. Which has never been worth 60 minutes.

I agree and disagree. I think FoP is the superior ride. I remember my reactions when I rode them each the first time.
Forbidden Journey "That was fun! Let's go again!"
FoP "Holy cow!!! That was the best ride ever!!"

So maybe I wasn't clear in that part. I was trying to make a point about how quickly the "state-of-the-art" theme park ride is changing.

Just a few years ago, Forbidden Journey was the most advanced system yet. And when you see how it works, it still blows my mind. But for a motion simulator, I think Flight of Passage has surpassed it already.

And yes, Flight of Passage is a FAR superior ride. Forbidden Journey was fun. FoP is mind-blowing.

I did ride again and did feel ill after.

Ugh. That'll put a damper on the day.

Well, I've met you and I can hardly believe you're you.

Did I ask you to pull my finger?

Haven't you seen The Matrix?

Well, sure, and I...oh! Great, now my identity crisis is back!

Depends on the cost of said ball cap and sunglasses.

The sunglasses are prescription, so...I did kinda want them back.

Shoot.
I was so hoping it didn't work, that you had to get a CM (or whatever they're called) and when he accompanied you, you tried to "show" him how it didn't work and it immediately did.

We were close. I was in the process of signaling for a CM. He had started to wander over and then it opened. The guy said, "I guess I intimidated it." :rotfl:

Sounds pretty good. I obviously didn't order this for just Elle and I.

It was more than the 6 of us could eat!

You are having an identity crisis! Who are you????

We paid for that giant bowl. Might as well eat some of it Besides, the lettuce cancels out the unhealthy stuff I eat later.

Wow! That looks really good!

It was surprisingly good for a counter-service theme park meal. Would definitely get it again.

Of course it was. There's no question.

I don't think anyone voted for the regular butterbeer.

Oh, boy. This is so true.

And...kind of irritating.

Like I said in the update, I know Disney has much more ground to cover, many more resorts and guests to service, more vehicles to maintain, and more routes to run. So I can cut them some slack there.
Yup, I saw that. And... tbh, I'm not sure what I could do differently without blowing the budget sky high.
I do know that Disney will cut corners when they can, and i do think they can up their transportation game.
I would agree with that. If only they had a monorail.
Good point! Every theme park needs a monorail.
Jaws was a fun one. That was one of the first rides I can remember where the team member was "acting" and part of the show. Sort of like a more serious Jungle Cruise skipper.
sounds fun. Pretty sure I didn't ride that.
Twister wasn't much of anything, if I recall correctly.
So no great loss.
:rotfl2: I didn't think Harry Potter would be so...yellow.
I wish I could have done that! It's hard when I have to constantly switch between regular glasses and sunglasses. And I usually wear a cap for the sun. And my increasingly bald head.
I do the same... must've been cloudy? Or... maybe... I think we put stuff in a locker at the front of the park?
So all we need is a field goal.
Yeah, I got that. I'm used to women being angry with me for no discernible reason, though. :rolleyes1
Probably. I would occasionally ask Sarah to remind me who someone was or about a certain story point.
Nice to have a personal guide with you.
Ugh. 3 hours I'll never get back. How did it win Oscars?
It beat out Fargo and Jerry Maguire.

How???
You can certainly make the argument. I think it's a bit subjective. I don't know that I can say Harry Potter is better than anything Disney has done. I feel like Disney at its best invented the whole idea of detailed theming, so much that it feels like you have left the real world behind. And that there's something to be discovered around the next corner.

Universal definitely caught up with Harry Potter. It's every bit as good. Disney still has the work they've done on Pandora, or at resorts like AKL or Aulani. I love the Maharajah Jungle Trek in Asia--some of the best theme work I've ever seen.

So I think I hold their best work on equal planes. I'm glad to be able to visit and enjoy them. If someone wants to argue that one is better, I think it's mostly a matter of personal taste.
I'll agree with that. I do tend to forget older parts of Disney and just think of newer... and they're incredible too.
I guess... I dunno… just something about Potter that, (for me) just puts it one tick higher.
Drew was a big fan of the giant whoopee cushion. It got quite a few test runs.
:laughing: I believe that!
It sure felt that way! Do the lines really get that long?
Not the lines... just the walk inside the station to get to the end of the line. It's a long way.
It's the Barnstormer. Which has never been worth 60 minutes.
Yup.
Ugh. That'll put a damper on the day.
Just a little.
The sunglasses are prescription, so...I did kinda want them back.
Mine are too. I wouldn't want them lost either.
We were close. I was in the process of signaling for a CM. He had started to wander over and then it opened. The guy said, "I guess I intimidated it." :rotfl:
We paid for that giant bowl. Might as well eat some of it Besides, the lettuce cancels out the unhealthy stuff I eat later.
Who says the unhealthy stuff has to be canceled out???????

I finally discovered what it was like to have the pkondz Honorary Bus Pass. We walked right up to the bus stop at Cabana Bay

This only happens at Uni.

In our entire weekend at Universal, I don’t think we ever waited for a bus.

There it is.

Another point in Universal’s favor is the fact that there is only one security checkpoint, and it’s far from the entrances to the theme parks. It got crowded if several buses arrived at the same time, but we usually moved through quickly and efficiently. And after that, we could move between Universal, Islands of Adventure, and Citywalk freely

I LOVE THAT!!!! Why so many freaking bag checks at Disney?! Esp with the mono going from MK?! Or over from the CR?!

but at least the background music consisted of some great movie themes like Back to the Future, Apollo 13, and E.T.

It’s so unassuming and inconspicuous, and I love it. It fits perfectly with the stories—the idea that the world of magic is hidden away, just out of sight in a mundane world. We stepped through the opening and into Diagon Alley.

So clever and accurate. I just adore this part of setting the stage for exiting this "world" and going to another. Out-Disney'd for sure on this one.

Best weinie ever!

We tried the compromise position of having one or two others go in with me, but it still felt like a zoo every single time. In short, I’m not a fan of the locker system.

This was not a fun part of the experience. I think there should be some lockers that open with your wand.

We sped through the impressive bank room, with the lifelike goblins manning their desks and giving us the stinkeye every once in a while.

Was that not cool or what?!
The queue and pre-show were all terrific. Detailed and extremely well done.

I truly loved the queues and even if the ride has shut down just as I was getting on, I'd have been happy with the time spent in line.

Drew was getting nervous during the build-up, so we did our usual tender and soothing encouragement to help calm him down on the way. Or we told him he’d be fine and to keep moving so we didn’t hold up the line. One of those.

:laughing: Parent win.

I have been informed that the books are WAY better (they almost always are).

I only made it to # 4 with both. So no clue.

Curiously, I found the movies to follow a sort of reverse-Star Trek order. With Star Trek movies, the odd-numbered ones were terrible and the even-numbered ones were good. Harry Potter kind of went the other way, where the odd numbered ones were good and the even were lousy, but that pattern was eventually ruined by movie number 7. That one was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1, where they tried to split the final book into two movies but saved all the good stuff for movie number 2, meaning the first part was 2.5 hours of nothing happening, much like watching The English Patient. Thankfully, the second part was much better.

I'm as lost and confused at this as I was trying to figure out what Bellatrix was saying.

Just enough effects and magic to make it feel like a worthwhile diversion. It accomplished its number one goal, which was to get us to buy an interactive wand so we could play the little “magic” games scattered throughout the park (similar to the Agent P spy missions in Epcot).

This is my #1 goal for my next trip.

We wandered some more, and you may be shocked to learn that the Weasleys Prank Store (whatever it’s called) was a particular favorite of our family. It’s hard to pull my—excuse me, PUT my finger on exactly why.

Is this one ride worth the cost of that pass? Of course not.

No, I agree. Not worth the Express Pass cost, but if you've got one, you'd be ride it.

However, I did get a third day free in the parks due to a promotion they were offering at the time, so in the end it felt like a wash to us.

There ya go. Win for you and a double $$ win for them.

We had figured that there was no way we were getting on the new Hagrid’s Motorbikes coaster—and we were right. The posted wait time was about 4 hours.

:scared1:
That was ok, though—we had two more days to try and get to it.

Dying to see if you do it.

a) we kept moving, and b) the queue was again so detailed and full of bits from the movies that it kept us occupied.

Loved that about the queues at US. So much to see in them!

And now…well, I guess it is still pretty close to state-of-the-art. Disney has surpassed it on motion simulation with Flight of Passage. It’s pretty amazing how quickly technology evolves.

Agree with how fast tech changes, but prefer FOP. It's jaw dropping. Every time.

could I turn to a life of crime and rob banks?

Only if you share.

Rather than ordering separate platters for everyone, we ended up ordering “The Great Feast”, which consisted of a family-style platter with salad, rotisserie chicken, ribs, potatoes, and corn on the cob.

That sounds perfect for your crew and amazing!! I'd like to take my kids to Uni someday and this would be what I think we'd get too.

I think we got Drew something separate off the kids menu figuring he wouldn’t touch the grown-up food.

Wait... roast chicken is adult food? So confused.

:faint:
the frozen butterbeer was the clear winner in the taste test.

I'm with you on this one.

YES! Just... bettter.

Correct. Fast, easy, close...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter