Cheapness In Seattle (A 2019 PNW Trip Report - 2020 update added on 6/25

I believe the decision to switch parks again was based solely on the wait times for rides shown on the app. At that moment in time, the waits all seemed to be lower in Universal Studios.
Ohhh... okay. I read that and wondered why you'd immediately go back.
Remember that 5-year period in the 90’s when Will Smith was the biggest star on the planet and could do no wrong? That feels like ancient history now. I guess I’m dating myself.
I guess I'm dating myself too. I do remember that. The guy was gold.
The original Men In Black holds up really well as a movie.
::yes:: Just watched it recently with DD23. She really liked it. :)
Some aliens require multiple hits before you get any points.
Wha??? Did not know that!
Another nice touch was that all 6 of us could fit into one ride vehicle. That’s a rarity.
I can imagine!
Ok, fine. Dave beat me. BARELY.
Good thing you at least got the bonus button at the end, otherwise you'd have to hand in your Dad card.
And we all forgot to hit the big bonus point button at the end. Whoops.
Alright... hand it over.
You ride in a car, you spin around, you shoot things with a laser gun. What’s not to like? It’s good, solid fun.
:thumbsup2
We got in line for the ride and enjoyed the buildup in the queue—there are little short clips playing with an eye on poking fun as theme park experiences.
I actually think that was more fun than the puke inducing ride.
one of the little clips involves Homer taking over the experience from Doc Brown. It’s fun.
Missed that one. Appropriate!
You can see how they repurposed the old Back to the Future ride for this one—the doors to the ride still open and swing up just like a DeLorean.
Oh! I hadn't thought of that. Nice!
The Simpsons is one of the oldest simulators at the park…and, sadly, it shows.
Didn't realize that either.
Unfortunately, the screen is very, very dim. And the projection is very blurry, and that creates a huge problem when your brain is trying to keep up with the action on the screen. So, despite some hard work on the part of Universal to capture the spirit of the Simpsons, we all exited the ride having bad headaches and not feeling our best. Stay away if motion sickness is a problem for you.
Ohhhh… is that what it is? I just knew it was stomach churning. Not why it was.
Surely that would be easy to handle!

Well, it was easy. And don’t call me Shirley.
You're taking the fun out of this, you know.

But I suppose I've come to expect that.

:rolleyes:
The E.T. ride has been there forever
I remember riding it about 30 years ago and... yep, a quick Google shows it's celebrating its 30th anniversary this year.
If you looked straight ahead, it was amazing. It looked like the forest from the beginning of the movie, really well done. And then we looked up at the ceiling and saw…stage lights. Took us right out of the illusion.
In that case, I'm glad I didn't look up... nor will I in the future. It is really well done... as long as you don't look up.
It was almost as if I had a subconscious need to prevent him from going back home
You're a monster!

:laughing:
Then you travel through space to E.T.’s home planet, and…hoo boy, does this get weird in a hurry.
That's putting it mildly.
including his cousins and friends Lumpy, Tinkle and Buttface.
And the scenes all look like they hired Tim Burton’s production designer and said, “Stop holding yourself back like in the movies…REALLY try and go over the top this time. Build the Peter Pan ride, but what they would see after they dropped acid.”
:lmao:

It's such a great ride up to that point. With Peter Pan, they did the movie... and then it ends. I always find myself wanting more. The ET ride makes me thank the Lord that they didn't. And makes me wish they'd done less with ET.
Anyway, at the end, E.T. said his goodbyes and thanks to every member of my family: Glenn, Alice, Ryan, Timothy, Marie, Joey, and Zeke.

That’s 0 for 6, E.T. Guess he was smoking whatever the production designer had.
:sad2:
Yes, Drew is a Slytherin. You can’t really be surprised by this.
nope
When I suggested various places to the family, the reaction was typically, “Whatever. I could probably find something to order.”
Yeah... I guess after the Chocolate Emporium... there's not a lot to really choose from.
The closest I came was Cowfish, which appeared to have some interesting burger combinations on the menu.
It was okay. Not the greatest. Not the worst.
And if you’re accusing us of being hopelessly addicted to Disney World, to the point where we’d use any excuse to spend a little time there…well, you’re not wrong.
Aren't we all?
We drove to the Animal Kingdom Lodge for a night at Boma.
Nice choice!
ACtC-3d3XIO8pAwo4gJhMQrtzJU3hZ95-T5iaQJr1GlHoDoJWJx1YAXd5ha5DqP49ih5ISpJrEmxLgv-Rt8m5le8eh6KZOms_ndT2cwmly258b8jeG50b6lhcgi7tzhax53AwW4b_wyW0x2hTV1ZIxE5G0BlnA=w1161-h870-no
I'm surprised Disney let a Universal-y clad lad in the building. And yet that's exactly what a Slytherin would do.
They also have a peanut-butter-rice dish that “slaps”, which my kids say is a good thing.
:laughing: Okay!
And you can get POG juice to drink, always a good thing.
:thumbsup2
Julie also loves their zebra domes for dessert (I think they’re just ok, but I have a keen interest in making Julie happy).
And is more proof that Julie is much smarter than you.
Drew liked the rolls.

ACtC-3dafylVEnjvGEkv9NCCWJlgR2zxgao_rZjLsBx-rXJ2SGoe6qAbXAi7FG59IVMMNIGyZ1E8GDMvjOVtYIJK9GkcH6b4SMIz73izqIlBQYj_6QH7H3kQxtaxnt8kvMsL6yG6PeexShwz_ppsFcx5qmnOWg=w653-h870-no
Well, okay then. Lovely photo.. typical Slytherin.
It doesn’t matter how young you are, theme park touring can really sap your energy.

ACtC-3fqTrvTgzuebiEmj_UtEOj-ZhdLEenywnViKoKv80qBw6r6dfkIXdUlvKED4alb3c-bJFTmftPa_w1YBBFIEYhZx8Hq_mQHNlrPQOw9oiBFQKgF3wXRXn_BrmsTCM0oBERuG3jvZ8RDEnyR6iPtJWJpzQ=w653-h870-no
He is definitely not happening.
Nice family shot, there. :)
Gorgeous! Nice shot!
We also wandered around the pool in order to find the small area by the fence in the back. Cast members are stationed there with night-vision goggles so you can see some of the animals wandering around. It’s a neat little perk that most people don’t know about.
I did not know that.
Even if you’ve only spent a couple of hours there, it’s so hard to leave Disney property.
Oh, I know. Never easy leaving there. And now, so hard to get to. Impossible, in fact.

I wish more people were ok with differences of opinion.

HERE, HERE!! Folks seem to have lost the understanding that it's our differences that make the world NOT bland and boring. If we all thought the same, we'd only have one Land at WDW instead of so many. And in the "real" world, we'd proabably have one person ruling everyone and a pretty boring place to live. A little grace goes a long way as we share our thoughts and ideas.

Oh, man... I saw this a few years ago (2016, apparently) and I never forgot it.
View attachment 496252

So true!!! And sad. Seems like nowadays sharing your thoughts makes you "stupid", "uninformed", "rascist", "uncaring", or whatever....

The ride is supposed to be for your training to become one of the Men (or Women) in Black. You ride around shooting different aliens, getting different points depending on how good your aim is. Some aliens require multiple hits before you get any points. Also, your ride vehicle may spin around occasionally if another group shoots the target on your vehicle, which is a nice touch. Another nice touch was that all 6 of us could fit into one ride vehicle. That’s a rarity.

Sums it up pretty well!

Ok, fine. Dave beat me. BARELY.

Had to point that out, didja?

And we all forgot to hit the big bonus point button at the end. Whoops.

I forgot to hit most anything from beginning to end.

and enjoyed the buildup in the queue—there are little short clips playing with an eye on poking fun as theme park experiences.

I think those were the best part of the attraction.

we all exited the ride having bad headaches and not feeling our best. Stay away if motion sickness is a problem for you.

I think everyone does.

We did notice a slight difference between Universal (of the past) and Disney in the queue. If you looked straight ahead, it was amazing. It looked like the forest from the beginning of the movie, really well done. And then we looked up at the ceiling and saw…stage lights. Took us right out of the illusion.

That's a great way to sum up the difference between the resorts in general.

including his cousins and friends Lumpy, Tinkle and Buttface.

And the scenes all look like they hired Tim Burton’s production designer and said, “Stop holding yourself back like in the movies…REALLY try and go over the top this time. Build the Peter Pan ride, but what they would see after they dropped acid.”

:rotfl2: :lmao::rotfl:

Even though Sarah’s birthday is after Drew’s, we ended up doing her dinner choice first. We drove to the Animal Kingdom Lodge for a night at Boma.

What better place?!

They also have a peanut-butter-rice dish that “slaps”, which my kids say is a good thing.

I'm trying to stay up to date with the slang too and always quiz Anara... and when I do, I am sure to get a gigantic eyeroll.

(I think they’re just ok, but I have a keen interest in making Julie happy).

"Happy wife, happy life."

I assume you’re supposed to be a guest in order to take advantage, but nobody asked us for a Magic Band or room key. So we got to take a peek, and spotted some ankole cattle hanging around. It’s pretty neat.

Hmm, no, I think it's actually for anyone. At least that's what I've heard.

Last edited:
That was what sold us on it. We had just bought our Expedition (2003) when we found out about the stow and go seats. We had decided when we replaced that car, we would go with that option and it is so nice. Our van is pretty much one big cargo van!

I think we had that option on a couple of our rentals, and it really made a huge difference in the amount of space we had available. I wish more vans were designed that way.

Dobby was a much different character in the book. I don't think they even included his little girlfriend in the movies. He played a much larger role, and helped Harry out a lot. They sort of skipped over some of the storylines and merged them into larger plots to make up for the absence of his role.

Gotcha. I only saw the movies once, but I seem to remember him coming off as kind of a jerk in the movies.

I don't know anything about the ear thing, but I saw him at a panel at a D23 event, and when he was asked about how he became an Imagineer, he told a story about high school. He joined either the musical theater department or drama because he needed something to keep him out of Juvvy or jail. He ended up doing set design and that's what led him to eventually become and imagineer....

Hmmm...And Sarah was heavily involved in the set design work at her high school...

Of course, she wasn't threatened with juvie, either.

Ohhh... okay. I read that and wondered why you'd immediately go back.

Just trying to minimize the time in line. Although I don't know how much they manipulate the wait times there.

I guess I'm dating myself too. I do remember that. The guy was gold.

He was (and is) a terrific entertainer. He single-handedly made Independence Day watchable.

Just watched it recently with DD23. She really liked it.

Your daughter has good taste!

Wha??? Did not know that!

I think they mentioned it in the pre-show.

Good thing you at least got the bonus button at the end, otherwise you'd have to hand in your Dad card.

Um...

Alright... hand it over.

But..but...I did woodwork and grilled steaks this weekend!

I actually think that was more fun than the puke inducing ride.

Oh, definitely. I was disappointed that the ride made me so queasy, because they really did do a great job of capturing the fun of the show.

Oh! I hadn't thought of that. Nice!

No sense totally rebuilding the ride if you don't have to.

Ohhhh… is that what it is? I just knew it was stomach churning. Not why it was.

That was my theory, anyway. I felt like it was hard at times to really see everything clearly.

You're taking the fun out of this, you know.

But I suppose I've come to expect that.

It's what I do.

I remember riding it about 30 years ago and... yep, a quick Google shows it's celebrating its 30th anniversary this year.

It was there when I last went...and I was in college.

In that case, I'm glad I didn't look up... nor will I in the future. It is really well done... as long as you don't look up.

It looked terrific at ground level, for sure.

You're a monster!

I just wanted him and Elliott to be friends forever.

That's putting it mildly.

My eyes!

It's such a great ride up to that point. With Peter Pan, they did the movie... and then it ends. I always find myself wanting more. The ET ride makes me thank the Lord that they didn't. And makes me wish they'd done less with ET.

Agreed. More of the forest and flying over the city, please. I guess now I know I never need to see a sequel where they visit E.T.'s home.

Yeah... I guess after the Chocolate Emporium... there's not a lot to really choose from.

Every place just got a "meh" out of us when we were researching them.

It was okay. Not the greatest. Not the worst.

Oh, good. So I didn't miss anything.

Aren't we all?

I guess that's why we hang out here.

Nice choice!

Thanks! It's one of our favorites now.

I'm surprised Disney let a Universal-y clad lad in the building. And yet that's exactly what a Slytherin would do.

The kids did get quite a few comments from the CM's.

And is more proof that Julie is much smarter than you.

Well, we all knew that. But if you offered me a Dole Whip Float or a Zebra Dome...the Dole Whip wins 10 out of 10 times.

Well, okay then. Lovely photo.. typical Slytherin.

Don't I know it.

He is definitely not happening.

Not at that moment. Theme park days are tiring!

Nice family shot, there.

:goodvibes

Gorgeous! Nice shot!

Thanks! Have to give Julie credit for that one.

I did not know that.

It's a fun little perk of being there at night.

Oh, I know. Never easy leaving there. And now, so hard to get to. Impossible, in fact.

Disney magic has a very, very strong pull.

HERE, HERE!! Folks seem to have lost the understanding that it's our differences that make the world NOT bland and boring. If we all thought the same, we'd only have one Land at WDW instead of so many. And in the "real" world, we'd proabably have one person ruling everyone and a pretty boring place to live. A little grace goes a long way as we share our thoughts and ideas.

Variety is the spice of life.

So true!!! And sad. Seems like nowadays sharing your thoughts makes you "stupid", "uninformed", "rascist", "uncaring", or whatever....

We all love our echo chambers. It's a lot easier to call people names than engage with the idea that you might actually have something wrong.

Had to point that out, didja?

I really didn't want to. It hurt a bit.

I forgot to hit most anything from beginning to end.

You were supposed to use the gun on the ride, not your Harry Potter wand.

I think those were the best part of the attraction.

I agree. Some were hilarious.

I think everyone does.

Man, that one was painful.

That's a great way to sum up the difference between the resorts in general.

It's a good analogy, for sure. I felt like the Harry Potter stuff was easily as good as Disney. The rest of Universal...not quite at that level.

What better place?!

I can't think of one.

I'm trying to stay up to date with the slang too and always quiz Anara... and when I do, I am sure to get a gigantic eyeroll.

I like purposely using slang wrong. It either gets a laugh or irritates them. So I win either way.

"Happy wife, happy life."

::yes::

Hmm, no, I think it's actually for anyone. At least that's what I've heard.

Cool. Either way, nobody stopped us from trying it.

He was (and is) a terrific entertainer. He single-handedly made Independence Day watchable.
I think they mentioned it in the pre-show.
Pre-show? Hmmm... maybe they don't have one in the express queue? At least I don't remember one.
But..but...I did woodwork and grilled steaks this weekend!
Well... okay. But you're on thin ice.
It was there when I last went...and I was in college.
You went to college?

Huh.
Agreed. More of the forest and flying over the city, please. I guess now I know I never need to see a sequel where they visit E.T.'s home.
Gah! No!
Oh, good. So I didn't miss anything.
Not really. Kinda cute, but... meh.
The kids did get quite a few comments from the CM's.
Remember any?
Well, we all knew that. But if you offered me a Dole Whip Float or a Zebra Dome...the Dole Whip wins 10 out of 10 times.
Well, actually... me too.

I believe the decision to switch parks again was based solely on the wait times for rides shown on the app. At that moment in time, the waits all seemed to be lower in Universal Studios.

Sounds like a solid plan.

Remember that 5-year period in the 90’s when Will Smith was the biggest star on the planet and could do no wrong? That feels like ancient history now. I guess I’m dating myself.

Hmmmm..... :scratchin Was this about when Independence Day came out? I'm not as big on movie culture as you are....

The original Men In Black holds up really well as a movie. I liked it when it first came out, and the oil-and-water chemistry of Smith and Tommy Lee Jones (an American treasure) is still great. Very entertaining. (The sequels…not so much.)

Yes! This is absolutely true. I remember laughing hysterically in the first one, the rest....not even sure I saw the last one.

Drew absolutely LOVED this ride. He had a blast with it. And, I totally get it. You ride in a car, you spin around, you shoot things with a laser gun. What’s not to like? It’s good, solid fun.

Whenever we go back I'll have to remember to try this one again.

This ride used to be the Back To The Future ride, and one of the little clips involves Homer taking over the experience from Doc Brown. It’s fun.

Nice little tribute, too bad I'll never see this.

You can see how they repurposed the old Back to the Future ride for this one—the doors to the ride still open and swing up just like a DeLorean.

Huh....won't see this one either.

The Simpsons is one of the oldest simulators at the park…and, sadly, it shows.

we all exited the ride having bad headaches and not feeling our best.

So it's not just me.....

The E.T. ride has been there forever (or at least since I was in college, which is almost the same thing).

Here's another one to add to list to do since it's closed everywhere else in the world.

If you looked straight ahead, it was amazing. It looked like the forest from the beginning of the movie, really well done. And then we looked up at the ceiling and saw…stage lights. Took us right out of the illusion.

Yeah, I remember Tony Baxter telling us that the standard Disney ceiling treatment was to paint in black, just like the Rolling Stones (I added that last part).

hoo boy, does this get weird in a hurry. You move through various scenes of aliens that I guess look related to E.T., including his cousins and friends Lumpy, Tinkle and Buttface. They all sing a version of the E.T. theme that sounds like it’s being played on 1,000 kazoos. And the scenes all look like they hired Tim Burton’s production designer and said, “Stop holding yourself back like in the movies…REALLY try and go over the top this time. Build the Peter Pan ride, but what they would see after they dropped acid.”

THIS is what makes me want to do this! I don't remember any of that.

Yes, Drew is a Slytherin. You can’t really be surprised by this.

Especially with all the stuff Julie posts on FB, I am convinced.

there was nothing that made us say, “Wow, we should try that!” When I suggested various places to the family, the reaction was typically, “Whatever. I could probably find something to order.”

Yeah, and you guys are probably not big into Emeril Lagasse's restaurants.....I think I'd like to try the Italian place that was in Liesa's TR.....

Why not head to Disney World for our dinners and get a little Disney fix while we’re so close? This plan was met with approximately 483 times more enthusiasm.

Makes sense, we drive half an hour just to have dinner at restaurants at Disney, all the time. Well not now, but we would if we could.

And if you’re accusing us of being hopelessly addicted to Disney World, to the point where we’d use any excuse to spend a little time there…well, you’re not wrong.

I wish I could get a little Disney magic right now.....

I’ve written about Boma before, so I won’t go into a ton of detail rehashing it. Suffice it to say that we first tried it a few years ago and it fast became one of our favorite dinners at WDW.

I'm really amazed that your family enjoys this restaurant so much. We ate there once and haven't been back because Fran said it was too "weird."

I usually just park myself by the carving table where they have the spiced beef strip loin.

I can understand this. Do they still have the Mac and Cheese? I remember that I liked that when we were there.

We also wandered around the pool in order to find the small area by the fence in the back. Cast members are stationed there with night-vision goggles so you can see some of the animals wandering around.

Is that the only place they have them? I remember them having them out in the main viewing area when I stayed there.

We finally did the slow walk back to the minivan. Even if you’ve only spent a couple of hours there, it’s so hard to leave Disney property. My feet felt like anchors as we trudged through the parking lot. But we needed our rest. We needed to get up early so we could ride some motorbikes.

This sounds promising....

…..right?

until I saw this.

You were supposed to use the gun on the ride, not your Harry Potter wand.

Oops! Well, there's my problem. I forgot to get a wand.
It's a good analogy, for sure. I felt like the Harry Potter stuff was easily as good as Disney. The rest of Universal...not quite at that level.

agreed! Overall, Disney is just... better.

I like purposely using slang wrong. It either gets a laugh or irritates them. So I win either way.

Drew absolutely LOVED this ride. He had a blast with it. And, I totally get it. You ride in a car, you spin around, you shoot things with a laser gun. What’s not to like? It’s good, solid fun.

I had really wanted to go on this ride, however, due to poor planning, we rode the Simpsons ride first, and like you said...it's enough to make you feel not so good. I ended up sitting out MIB because my head and stomach needed a break.

The actual story is really fun, and there are lots of great gags and laughs during the ride itself. Unfortunately, the screen is very, very dim. And the projection is very blurry, and that creates a huge problem when your brain is trying to keep up with the action on the screen. So, despite some hard work on the part of Universal to capture the spirit of the Simpsons, we all exited the ride having bad headaches and not feeling our best. Stay away if motion sickness is a problem for you.

See above. Wish I'd read this a few months ago!

We also wandered around the pool in order to find the small area by the fence in the back. Cast members are stationed there with night-vision goggles so you can see some of the animals wandering around. It’s a neat little perk that most people don’t know about.

That's really cool! I love how you can catch a peek of AK from AKL without a park ticket.

Pre-show? Hmmm... maybe they don't have one in the express queue? At least I don't remember one.

That's certainly possible. I didn't do any of the express lines.

You went to college?

Huh.

I went to BSU!

Remember any?

Nothing overly witty. There was a lot of debate among CM's as to which house they would belong to.

Sounds like a solid plan.

Always good to get the Alison seal of approval!

Hmmmm..... :scratchin Was this about when Independence Day came out? I'm not as big on movie culture as you are....

Yep, that was it! He was a mega-star at that point.

Yes! This is absolutely true. I remember laughing hysterically in the first one, the rest....not even sure I saw the last one.

The sequels were just not nearly up to the same level.

Whenever we go back I'll have to remember to try this one again.

It was a fun one.

Nice little tribute, too bad I'll never see this.

Huh....won't see this one either.

So it's not just me.....

Seems like most people struggle with that ride.

Here's another one to add to list to do since it's closed everywhere else in the world.

So this is the last one left standing, huh?

Yeah, I remember Tony Baxter telling us that the standard Disney ceiling treatment was to paint in black, just like the Rolling Stones (I added that last part).

:rotfl: I appreciate any effort to hide the obvious stage effects.

THIS is what makes me want to do this! I don't remember any of that.

Wow, I didn't think anyone could read that and then WANT to go on the ride.

Especially with all the stuff Julie posts on FB, I am convinced.

I didn't think it would be hard.

Yeah, and you guys are probably not big into Emeril Lagasse's restaurants.....I think I'd like to try the Italian place that was in Liesa's TR.....

I think those places were too pricy for 6 people.

Makes sense, we drive half an hour just to have dinner at restaurants at Disney, all the time. Well not now, but we would if we could.

I totally would too, if I was in your shoes.

I wish I could get a little Disney magic right now.....

We're all feeling that now. :sad1:

I'm really amazed that your family enjoys this restaurant so much. We ate there once and haven't been back because Fran said it was too "weird."

Huh. If you look at my plate, I had beef, turkey, chicken, mashed taters, and broccoli. So clearly I wasn't on the "weird" side.

I can understand this. Do they still have the Mac and Cheese? I remember that I liked that when we were there.

Yes, it's still there! But it's by the kids stuff.

Is that the only place they have them? I remember them having them out in the main viewing area when I stayed there.

We walked around the main viewing area and nobody had night-vision goggles there that we could see.

This sounds promising....

until I saw this.

:rolleyes1

Oops! Well, there's my problem. I forgot to get a wand.

Best get two, one for each hand

agreed! Overall, Disney is just... better.

In the end, I think that's where we landed, too.

I had really wanted to go on this ride, however, due to poor planning, we rode the Simpsons ride first, and like you said...it's enough to make you feel not so good. I ended up sitting out MIB because my head and stomach needed a break.

See above. Wish I'd read this a few months ago!

Yeah...sorry about that. Seems like it's not just you that had issues with the Simpsons ride.

That's really cool! I love how you can catch a peek of AK from AKL without a park ticket.

I love that, too. It really makes that resort special.

Bonus Chapter 4: A Whole Lot of Nothin’

There are very few certainties in life, but there are a few characteristics of our shared experience that we can all take to the bank.

Death.

Taxes.

Disappointing politicians.

If there are multiple brothers in a family playing a professional sport, the Philadelphia Phillies will always get the less-talented one--see Ken Brett (brother of Hall-of-Famer George) and Mike Maddux (brother of Hall-of-Famer Greg).

If we leave on a long 8-hour road trip, one family member will need to use the restroom 20 minutes into the drive.

The automatic grocery scanner will fail to register the item I just scanned, then start an endless loop of “unexpected item in bagging area”/”item removed from bagging area” alerts until I have to get a store clerk to re-boot it. One day, I will add up the total hours of my life I have spent in that endless loop, and it will not be a pretty number.

The list goes on. One of the most incontrovertible Rules of Life is that when visiting theme parks (or anywhere, for that matter), Rope Drop always works. It’s basically an offshoot of the truism that The Early Bird Gets The Worm, only here a worm is upgraded to a ride on Test Track, which seems like a win to me.

Rope Drop has never failed me. We live by it as a family, and even my three teenage kids who want nothing more than to sleep in and lie around in their pajamas all day are believers in the power of Rope Drop.

On Sunday morning, following standard Rope Drop protocol, we got up early and ate a quick snack for breakfast in the room. Islands of Adventure was opening at 9 a.m., so we were on the bus by 8:15. We arrived at the hub building, ascended the stairs, and…huh. That security line sure seemed a lot longer than it did yesterday.

Still, it moved fairly well, and we were walking into CityWalk by 8:20 or so. We turned left and headed towards IOA, We crossed over the bridge and…huh. Definitely way more people than we’d seen at Rope Drop for Universal the day before. Hundreds more.

ACtC-3dW2mzOfIXHnaVbRQk-o_RIYG4d2qaojHSrJjhhhSNMtRpbphyMRLTBJdkjtsCwcpt6gT6cr7Sx5yrEbAbtbexwRQOcU3twemftJr2ycmW_iWJpKW8ApTn6YKUnzqBkQpeMXoOgDMeMrfB3n2EklDTDpA=w680-h905-no

I’d hoped that the night of concerts would make most of the people staying onsite sleep in, but that was proving not to be the case. Our goal for the morning (along with 98% of the other people there) was to head straight for Hagrid’s Motorbike Adventure. This was the newest ride at Universal, having opened in June of 2019, so it hadn’t even been operating for a year yet. Every review I’d read of the ride (whether official or from friends) had basically declared it The Greatest Theme Park Ride Of All Time. So naturally, we were eager to try it out.

We were prepared for a wait. As I’d mentioned the day before, we’d seen posted wait times as long as 4 hours, and that seemed fairly routine from everything I’d researched. So it was Rope Drop or bust. The hope was that we were there early enough so that our wait would be…maybe an hour at most. Hopefully less.

When the gates finally opened, we followed the crowd. Unlike Disney, where things are fairly controlled, there were several people/groups practically sprinting ahead to beat everyone else. We didn’t go that far, but we did carry Drew piggyback and settled for a fast walk. The path was relatively easy to follow and when we got closer to Hogsmeade there were Team Members with signs directing everyone on how to get into the line for the motorbikes. Once we were in the proper line, it moved in a fairly orderly fashion into Hogsmeade. After a couple of minutes of walking, we made it to the locker room, where Julie and I took a detour with our belongings while the kids marched on and held our place in line. Even though the ride was brand new, the locker room was still apparently designed to hold about 1.6% of the capacity of the actual ride. We were only able to exit by shoving several kids aside (Julie was by far more violent here).

We caught up with the kids, navigated a few turns and switchbacks in the queue, and then came to a stop in a back corner near the Flight of the Hippogriff ride. I had no idea what the normal wait from this point would be, but we were at least in the official ride queue. So there was that.

In a couple of locations, we were able to peek over the walls and see the ride itself. It looked amazing. Lots of twists and turns in the track, diving over and through old ruins straight out of the movie. I couldn’t wait to get on. Every couple of minutes, we’d hear a blast of motorcycle engines, and another ride train would go zooming past us.

They were silent, though. There was nobody in them.

ACtC-3dsYW4P8dPSuyjbq508CQx0rWO7C8nEYwSYnbTV5gIwYDwv_LJC_oxQ5V-LYxoyelMfIYDmgSu1rCOK87DG3PhujkVgBj48dd-zrXhRMkdtrQ0UjZJzdBJhujWMTARYr-pbAVNg0ya0XS9Mm0hzoHIXpw=w1206-h905-no

A few minutes later, there was an announcement on the loudspeaker: “Attention, please. Hagrid’s Motorbike Adventure is currently down due to mechanical issues. We hope to have it running shortly. Thank you for your continued patience.”

Ugh.

Of course, when you’re standing in line, you have no way of knowing if that means they’ll start loading in 5 minutes or 5 hours. And the park gives you no help in that regard. It’s just the same announcement over and over, every 10 minutes. You get a little hope when the line moves ahead a bit, but again, you have no way of knowing if that means it’s actually moving or if people are just bailing ahead of you.

It’s especially irritating when you can see the ride vehicles operating just fine on the ride. They kept coming, one after the other. Not knowing what’s wrong, it just makes you question why the ride is closed—it looks like it’s running just fine!

I think the worst part of that wait is the “what if” factor, or FOMO—Fear of Missing Out. That’s where being a Dad comes into play, because you start doing your value calculations—I spent X amount of $ on the tickets, and I’m currently getting zero value out of that investment. Is it better to bail now so I can actually ride something? Or, will they open the ride 5 minutes after I leave, meaning I’ll once again never be able to get on again today?

Everyone has their tipping point. I’d been checking the app for wait times, and for most of the early morning it seemed like Forbidden Journey and Flight of the Hippogriff were basically walk-ons. If we bailed, Julie could get her turn on Forbidden Journey and I could take Drew on the Hippogriff. Eventually, after about an hour of waiting for Hagrid with no sign of opening, we bailed on the ride.

We walked over to Forbidden Journey, starting to make arrangements on where to meet up afterwards, only to stop in our tracks.

The wait time was now 80 minutes.

Ok, time to be flexible. Maybe we can all ride Hippogriff just to cross off another Harry Potter attraction.

Nope—it was now at 60 minutes. Just looking at the ride, I knew it wasn’t worth 60 minutes. And that was even before the announcement that it was running at limited capacity—they only had one Hippogriff train operational. Only a complete idiot would wait an hour for that.

Here’s a photo of a ride we didn’t get on:

ACtC-3fqe0s0z1isG_Oyg1oos3miMmd710s7v6JjOuBbCuNFFNwwY8KvWK0Kvj3XwCGj3iMhA_dqYqOgB6ck2irAiV4nm6loRGiqFeIB80NVt8BMRXRpLoemNjgTubQtvNSP-Fz6Le-7xt0rZKjZisCyBRK7rw=w1206-h905-no

And here’s the Vomiting Man restaurant. Why would this make anyone want to eat there?

ACtC-3cZx9ty9U3xpETfV2iaeHN_TO4jdXojN5SJDkjD3J9xmicLqrc8S01MnCsFj42u4GkZF6AC2ZYc2JQcFM5LzoWrzL-DXUt0aKk1VCkCdH7qaYnrtJjq0f2enIkqDUPPlmYd7vD-9HjWXcZVSrrsu9tBhw=w1206-h905-no

Now I was getting frustrated. It was well past 10:00 a.m. and we hadn’t done anything other than stand in line yet. We started walking counter-clockwise around IOA. The crowds were swelling and clearly we weren’t going to be able to do much in the Wizarding World right now. We walked over to the Jurassic Park river ride. And, wouldn’t you know it? It was closed. Mechanical issues. We watched an empty boat come down the ramp.

Frantically looking for something to do, we looked over at the Pteranodon Flyers—a kiddie ride, sure, but we were desperate.

No dice. An announcement played that they were temporarily out of service.

Welcome to Universal, where nothing works! Not even Rope Drop.

Continuing our circle, we walked past the King Kong ride, which somehow miraculously had a 20-minute wait. Sold! Because I’m gonna ride something, goshdangit.

We made our way through the King Kong queue, which is really well done.

Maybe too well done. Drew started freaking out. There were a lot of loud chants, warnings of upsetting the gods, dark passages, and people shouting in foreign languages. They even have live actors jumping out of the wall in a couple places, for pete’s sake. So it wasn’t long before Drew wanted no part of this place. Dave volunteered to take him out and wait for us, so we appreciated him taking one for the team.

As it turned out, the queue was more impressive to me than the ride. For the ride itself, you climb onto a big truck similar to the ones on the Kilimanjaro Safari ride at AK. Then you drive outside and past some flaming torch gates into a spooky-looking mountain temple. And then mayhem ensues. The truck is basically surrounded by giant movie screens on each side, and people get attacked by monsters, and then Kong fights the monsters. It all looks good on the screen as the battle happens around you, but the actual experience ends up being some gentle bumping and jostling of the bus and a couple sprays of water. It felt like a lot of special-effects wizardry accomplishing not much in the end.

But hey, we got on a ride! So we had that going for us, which was nice. At that point, this was the sum total of our day:

ACtC-3fmOU8jRPWcmtbA0ecCzP0-bVi0TrON5X6d1hl8Fmxz9fdKka8eZmtNtLFTggPQst-2o4p9U_1qRK4ZUkC36jx22uYUinMQES6ryRJwPGZs8LYTLdspvz-R7eX-ylQAwsW7j5EkZUweEsTCdDY4Gyodqw=w1206-h905-no

We met up with Dave and Drew and kept walking, eventually reaching the Marvel Superheroes portion of the park, which is a bit strange considering Disney owns everything Marvel. Except, of course, theme park rights in Florida.

But the Universal Marvel area can’t mention any of the current movie universe, so it primarily focuses on the comic books and pretends the movies don’t exist. Which is all fine. It’s just hard to turn your brain off when we’ve been inundated with the movies over the last decade.

Ok, fine. It’s hard for most people to turn their brains off. I can do it just fine. See?

ASRGERghjoiuh;paiafjeoh;alo…

(drool)

Ok, I’m back online. We walked over to the Spider-Man 3D ride. We were a bit concerned since it was a motion simulator and the last one we’d tried was the Simpsons, but I’d heard a lot of good things about Spider-Man. Also, we needed to ride something. Anything.

The wait time was posted as 45 minutes. Whatever, we’re getting in line.

For once, the wait time was accurate. We kept moving most of the time, so it didn’t feel horrible. I was a bit worried about motion-simulations combined with 3-D glasses, but we were committed at this point.

And as it turned out, there was nothing to be worried about. The ride was a ton of fun. We had a great time with this one. Thank goodness!

After a grand total of two (2) rides, it was now time for lunch. Seeing nothing in IOA that appealed to us, we decided to switch parks.

The Adventure Lives On, huh? Hopefully we’d get to experience it at some point.

ACtC-3dIpx2MfjkPBCCNfrOxW--ZB79FmF-yis6Xsjw9btb9d1OFJPC7yH6h7htUlZIB-UuKiXirENnfld3CkvZ3UU9ZCxPeGpHybAGTfK6p7bEFE0HD9L_lR1d6CRLzhbkFZXmYWg2q_lqky1cHQcIqi1-Wwg=w1206-h905-no

Walking to Universal confirmed that the Hogwarts Express is a much better way to switch parks. It took a while to reach Springfield, but we’d worked up a good appetite at least.

ACtC-3e1V3eVGnlTyIP_or2Q_31LnpqIX7zndOo56C_iq1sArk2HlShyj1thZ51pw-sPtLXZ0KnNzq-EpHivzg86ZmZ3wT1_4VVY-qcdzk-fWudccnXmNGcMKsvqK_In9vqy8gLn0l6X6JBXfqPkAIUNMDEuVQ=w1206-h905-no

We decided to try out Krusty Burgers. This was mostly due to being fans of the show. And it was…fine.

ACtC-3dW_K-ZpZVjwncNCVJhG6Io31mZ7uJwAc_K8tG-3VOyi4b9mWVacor-5CyTFL0cYbSPp5i2Mvjf_qItisQ84i9Y75y78Qw3lcu18t7qZPYkdbpTwKF_5r84nhMv0CsO8F63hAnbodjIytiFHYORmhtZeg=w1206-h905-no

Time to attempt some rides again. We split up. Drew REALLY wanted to ride Men In Black again, so he went with Julie and Dave. Sarah, Scotty and I went off to conquer the Mummy coaster.

I wasn’t sure how this was going to go. The Mummy movies themselves are nothing special—fairly crappy Indiana Jones rip-offs that you forget as soon as you watch them. The ride is an indoor coaster where the Mummy has been released and you zoom around his tomb while he tries to capture your soul. Or eat bugs.

Or something. I can’t say it made much sense.

But who cares? As it turned out, the ride is a BLAST. Lots of pyrotechnic effects, and the coaster is pretty fast. I absolutely loved it. There’s even a fake ending which made me laugh, and is totally something I’d do if I was ever designing a theme park ride. As much as I liked Gringotts, I actually liked this ride better (because it’s more coaster than Gringotts). The Mummy was easily my favorite ride outside of the Wizarding World.

Speaking of the Wizarding World, we met up with the others in Diagon Alley. A quick check of the Gringotts wait time revealed that we wouldn’t be riding that today. So we explored Knockturn Alley a bit. We learned that it’s really dark in there.

We also enjoyed the dragon again.

ACtC-3eXUW1BPX2gRz0lrTPp0wHkm9b-7sC_gJHhAY8s5BpAfBQFC_wc8MXD4L6kjh9JfPDU_dqAymRC9Saye6BG3QtDcgGcehM7Kv8_Cza2aUMaMoxXCuQHexXkWN6wm1wEhSh8g5Nt25rPa05UFUqr8HkLxw=w1206-h905-no

Well, most of us did.

ACtC-3dVQXKca0rHD2zsEn-oAwxLhXbCaM-mIP73StgLP71YToqBO9jPemVMLGQwyd5UtRXzJLUtZXka6Zja4VNWF0VNN6JjAK3kIzaYKB1FgRuiI8F6k8aezw0CYNuVM7U7wBblLL4N5gcndQHrQiXwkLwk0Q=w713-h905-no

We took the Hogwarts Express back to IOA. Walking through Hogsmeade, we saw that Hagrid’s Motorbikes were now operational, and the wait was over 3 hours. Sigh.

Julie really wanted to experience the Forbidden Journey. And even though the wait time was still 70 minutes, we decided to bite the bullet and go for it, since the Harry Potter stuff was still the primary objective. That meant that I had Drew duty. And Drew really wanted to ride Flight of the Hippogriff.

Which was still only operating one train.

And still had a 60-minute wait.

The things we do for our kids. But hey, at least it was the hottest part of the day and there was no shade.

I tried my best to keep Drew company. This was pretty much turning out to be a lost day at the parks, so we just had to make the best of it. We slowly crawled through the line and sure enough, an hour later we were finally climbing onto the Hippogriff.

The ride is the Barnstormer. Like, literally. I think they actually have the exact same track layout. If not, it’s remarkably close. Like the Barnstormer, the ride lasts about 30 seconds.

Meanwhile, Julie enjoyed exploring the Forbidden Journey queue.

ACtC-3eEm6FLbQHtcE9NxlN44KcIU2OJf-R-co4_1QDyw0LR8i8-6Yca4aLt8WrGoeUdQt4pqD9v1urv0cFbl87-uTnvdHYox-f3OOIvY8SFJk_ugikKgcTz9_gWVM0SNKUGKqKiJgZL0YbjMA40ccyuVRafKQ=w680-h905-no

ACtC-3f4WpCWkhMldqJiwquUix5scx14NFmTOMht7kMrPuNQstpTG8rCntGBnafC5n0QRbpYaaKETpHCuZKTieCEKozY0-7kF2Ci3HC1sPaYXT6SLF0BQ6vMQqA19SkfCB1l3vIUMen1O14KRXTRVIKMu_WTKw=w680-h905-no

In the end, she had fun with the ride. And Drew really liked the Hippogriff. And that’s what matters.

We got another frozen butterbeer, because I felt like I needed some reward after an hour wait for a 30-second ride.

ACtC-3fn7EjBRIsu-DIybIS_EthNctW6gwtqujVCP6NX8why4q4YGthbX8E2LSFNUvrTJoLHb_DelHsrVVOzj2g4HSF5KcXVqP21553YwgKlQvGxDGYEHJOrdtQg4dYI71v_HYhuk3LNZA4qFUAf-nN6mnU5KA=w680-h905-no

And then we walked out of the park. Well, almost. Sarah and Scotty REALLY wanted to ride the Incredible Hulk coaster. Dave also wanted to ride, but was still working himself up to the task. And, like everything else, it had been down earlier in the day. We had another dinner ADR at Disney to get to, but with a 30-minute wait it seemed do-able.

So, Sarah and Scott went to conquer the Hulk while the rest of us went to CityWalk and explored the shops. I hemmed and hawed over the coaster, but in the end I chickened out. The experience on the Simpsons was still fresh in my mind, and I remembered @pkondz saying he really enjoyed the Hulk, but a second ride had messed with his head a bit. And I didn’t want to chance that.

They came back later, and were gushing about the coaster. So I was glad they had a great time with it.

So, after an entire day in two theme parks and a grand total of 4 rides, we left to go get dinner. I was feeling pretty frustrated about how the day had gone, so I think it was actually a good thing that we drove to Disney Springs. I could at least look forward to spending some time in the Disney bubble.

The parking lot wasn’t too crowded, which was a relief. We wandered around and just enjoyed a bit of Disney (even if it is just a glorified shopping mall). Being a huge Indiana Jones fan, I ducked my head into the Jock Lindsey Hangar Bar, which I’ve long wanted to check out and hadn’t actually seen up until then. I still didn’t get the chance to order anything, but I did confirm that a) it looks really cool, and b) I do want to hang out there sometime.

ACtC-3cGWcjVzz7qDOnH2YvjqvtEgH1mhG3ypy6Ry1qhmRnQ7uSkkZQJqvpJRErNG5-6n4aHh0oWUUArTJXP5WjgbftYR01APRGxPdawhxyX1asUvkGqZi7a2GD04TW17wdB6-clEcVNdtV3LM7UAoTHn-S78A=w1206-h905-no

We went to our usual favorite shops (the Art of Disney, Marketplace Co-Op, and World of Disney). Truth be told, we probably bought more souvenirs here than we did at Universal. Is that wrong?

We had a special treat for Dave that evening. A few years ago, one of his best friends from school moved to Florida (the Tampa area). Julie had texted Dave’s friend’s parents and they were actually willing to make the drive up from Tampa just to get Dave and his buddy together for a little while. It was really nice of them to do that, and I think Dave was really grateful to get the chance to talk to his friend again. When I mentioned to the dad that I was impressed they were willing to make the drive, he said, “It’s Disney World. We’re always looking for excuses to come up here.” I get it, man. I get it.

We ate dinner at a place that was new to us: Maria & Enzo’s.

ACtC-3denmZJeyd6KxYW49wTRPsOrtfUqCv4Wa084aj0cbuWpuBOGXnhUTDEbFDZ7x3UR-t7RElJYgX0ZlhgozX8VBtidbFZwf427-8jghAkqIN36LSY_sTpabJMN3Q0c9IUxMSQ25Neu8KJioRT4B9PC61yDg=w1206-h905-no

Supposedly there’s a backstory involving this restaurant that involves an old airline terminal being repurposed and turned into a restaurant. I was too lazy to look it up. Anyway, it was enough for me to walk in and see the theming, which is all sorts of art-deco styling and vintage travel posters. This is right up my alley. I loved the look of this place.

ACtC-3cxcO29Pg0BVWDEDmlCj__CbGqk9YgEHSCbeHzmvuiowRT2Hx-YmHG-cpZX_XTftEHpfe4GTOb0YEm22PB05RB106bfTVjpakzQDkg19nrBOZgQQsuZdc48lZ0TLYiAQq8jxxSu1eIOQvg8KA7GX9PK3w=w1200-h900-no

The menu is Italian, which always suits us as well. I ordered my standard chicken parmesan, which was a huge slab of meat that I almost couldn’t finish.

ACtC-3eCujQC76FQHPOkKL4nlGvYKbnCdYjY6yFVDsV83eEJSgxLZ3K_rgQAD0sChnwrNKmw4PauSxIwVK0Fr6eZGFQ29Q8bVwXoVpWmqhji2y7yS0yn1b5VlOIKghTCBkWMZRvohqm_dIOThBViGPKVVwMQuA=w1200-h900-no

Similarly, Dave ordered a piece of lasagna that no human on earth could ever finish.

ACtC-3fO1rCgIevZH92VSN6KruBDY9AGcymni02BrTTKjET2pWgENr9qHosIuVbxE1fINBxVZgk3Zjtugqt64wD4BH1Zg4AyTRlfLqtyXZcDrN_xdGFiXSFEvNessAMVhJ6b5kC-KY5tPogJxYDFWMpfUn2_kw=w675-h900-no

The food itself was pretty good. Not the best, not the worst. We really enjoyed the atmosphere and our server, a young woman from Italy who was very sweet and willing to spend time in conversation about her home and anything else we asked. There was also a violinist walking around and visiting every table. He would tell us to choose a song, any song, and he would be able to play it for us. We kind of blanked for a second, so he played the Harry Potter theme, inspired by the kids’ sweatshirts.

ACtC-3dNGJbOJ0FLO17YSftMhwPW8EPrYUW6d1lIaknT8P7iUwJ_q1UXmVOJD_NGqxmYFEbMxS7Z0hUQcxOcwheqkOS5TBtluouoSozIMN3ruG51r0bd-uWTZTUtvd9qo0nOfnWM8T8gbKrj4mcYsnqtKL5F0A=w675-h900-no

Later on, he came back and Sarah was ready for him. She asked him to play the theme from Doctor Who. The guy confessed that he didn’t know that one off the top of his head. So he asked for 5 minutes. We saw him walk off to the corner and pull out his phone, and then hold it up to his ear. Then he returned to the table and said, “Ok, this is a different one. There are a lot of…space noises? In that one. Very different from what I’m used to. This is my favorite request of the night. I’ll do my best!”

And with that, he did a flawless rendition, complete with amusing facial expressions for the “space noises”. He earned his tip.

Sarah and Drew also got special desserts with their birthdays being so close.

ACtC-3cHC7cFRo1CDgpiiSNJFckXyOEICUnp1wQqkLpuruMpsoNw3IKLwS8_FFPoaifGDwINLrROCDgGYFCjjBnSBzJlGwWBnaPmL9AG0xLalTD0aqK1rrmEBp2Z1Zi1CSXRIeja7mgyD8YdhYmrDnwoTGzrrw=w1200-h900-no

So, kind of a crappy day at Universal. But our Disney time at the end of the day helped to put us in a better mood. I was glad we’d gotten the third day free in the parks, because I felt like we were going to need it. Maybe a Monday in January would be less crowded. We could only hope.

ACtC-3c4102q8mrfwSm6Jqd3Yf9owdu_r30NlXpKeQrKXI28g5YqvVX7cibzNkyozMVQ691zXNB7RejxIlOtWtfyU4XG_bpuSUUrqu4-SxEIv03GtfvIvlToQOAS7rE_4jI1rH2xHbfkJ1cbE32fwF28lbEjtw=w1200-h900-no

We also hoped we could get the kids out of bed in the morning.

ACtC-3cdNILk_le9R_PQV3Tci6csZ_NAi65VXpcJBSSlyyxe2NU8ksxpvQz9LTGgqopPqvWAN60sSa7j7QVjVHdjnmv8MpcPyQLmwK06MTWS7likbldZxZvld3oSexbyO-FE9Ga6AHywQ1GbdDYDBs5wENrXqg=w675-h900-no

Coming Up Next: Can Rope Drop be redeemed?

Best get two, one for each hand

What do you think I am? Made of money? Hmmm, one wand might bring a bit of good fortune...

Death.

Taxes.

Correct.

The automatic grocery scanner will fail to register the item I just scanned, then start an endless loop of “unexpected item in bagging area”/”item removed from bagging area” alerts until I have to get a store clerk to re-boot it. One day, I will add up the total hours of my life I have spent in that endless loop, and it will not be a pretty number.

This. :rolleyes:

Every review I’d read of the ride (whether official or from friends) had basically declared it The Greatest Theme Park Ride Of All Time.

Because it is.

Even though the ride was brand new, the locker room was still apparently designed to hold about 1.6% of the capacity of the actual ride. We were only able to exit by shoving several kids aside (Julie was by far more violent here).

I super hate the locker system there.

ACtC-3dsYW4P8dPSuyjbq508CQx0rWO7C8nEYwSYnbTV5gIwYDwv_LJC_oxQ5V-LYxoyelMfIYDmgSu1rCOK87DG3PhujkVgBj48dd-zrXhRMkdtrQ0UjZJzdBJhujWMTARYr-pbAVNg0ya0XS9Mm0hzoHIXpw=w1206-h905-no

Not working? Hmmm.... seems like a tease.
And here’s the Vomiting Man restaurant. Why would this make anyone want to eat there?

ACtC-3cZx9ty9U3xpETfV2iaeHN_TO4jdXojN5SJDkjD3J9xmicLqrc8S01MnCsFj42u4GkZF6AC2ZYc2JQcFM5LzoWrzL-DXUt0aKk1VCkCdH7qaYnrtJjq0f2enIkqDUPPlmYd7vD-9HjWXcZVSrrsu9tBhw=w1206-h905-no

Still think it's cool. I wanna eat there someday.

I wasn’t sure how this was going to go. The Mummy movies themselves are nothing special—fairly crappy Indiana Jones rip-offs that you forget as soon as you watch them. The ride is an indoor coaster where the Mummy has been released and you zoom around his tomb while he tries to capture your soul. Or eat bugs.

I super loved Mummy. I don't think it was my favorite (I liked Men in Black more) but it is quite well done.

Maybe there is a Coaster Adorus potion in there.

The ride is the Barnstormer. Like, literally.

Yep. I rode it, but it was exactly Barnstormer. I thought Hippogriff has FAR better theming though.

So, after an entire day in two theme parks and a grand total of 4 rides, we left to go get dinner. I was feeling pretty frustrated about how the day had gone, so I think it was actually a good thing that we drove to Disney Springs. I could at least look forward to spending some time in the Disney bubble.

Funny how Disney can do that, isn't it?

When I mentioned to the dad that I was impressed they were willing to make the drive, he said, “It’s Disney World. We’re always looking for excuses to come up here.” I get it, man. I get it.

This is so great and I think we can all relate to that on some level.

Anyway, it was enough for me to walk in and see the theming, which is all sorts of art-deco styling and vintage travel posters. This is right up my alley. I loved the look of this place.

I LOVED the theming in there! Just perfect.

We really enjoyed the atmosphere and our server, a young woman from Italy who was very sweet and willing to spend time in conversation about her home and anything else we asked.

I had the same experience. In fact, ours was so sweet that she literally influenced a HUGE portion of my Italy trip. Coming up on my TR but a bit later...

Later on, he came back and Sarah was ready for him. She asked him to play the theme from Doctor Who. The guy confessed that he didn’t know that one off the top of his head. So he asked for 5 minutes. We saw him walk off to the corner and pull out his phone, and then hold it up to his ear. Then he returned to the table and said, “Ok, this is a different one. There are a lot of…space noises? In that one. Very different from what I’m used to. This is my favorite request of the night. I’ll do my best!”

And with that, he did a flawless rendition, complete with amusing facial expressions for the “space noises”. He earned his tip.
Now *that's* Disney!! And that's REAL honest to goodness talent!

but there are a few characteristics of our shared experience that we can all take to the bank.

Death.
Is it okay if I don't share that one with you?
I will be happy to give you this one. No sharing needed.
You have yours, we have ours... and 'nuff said about that!
If there are multiple brothers in a family playing a professional sport, the Philadelphia Phillies will always get the less-talented one--see Ken Brett (brother of Hall-of-Famer George) and Mike Maddux (brother of Hall-of-Famer Greg).
If we leave on a long 8-hour road trip, one family member will need to use the restroom 20 minutes into the drive.
At which point you will have just passed the last bathroom for 50 miles.
I think any item that puts you in that loop should qualify you to receive said item free of charge.
How long do you think it'd take them to fix that???
Rope Drop has never failed me. We live by it as a family, and even my three teenage kids who want nothing more than to sleep in and lie around in their pajamas all day are believers in the power of Rope Drop.
My girls are the same. One a bit more grudgingly than the other, but... yep.
We turned left and headed towards IOA, We crossed over the bridge and…huh. Definitely way more people than we’d seen at Rope Drop for Universal the day before. Hundreds more.
Ruh Roh...
Our goal for the morning (along with 98% of the other people there) was to head straight for Hagrid’s Motorbike Adventure.
Shocked! I'm shocked by this!
Every review I’d read of the ride (whether official or from friends) had basically declared it The Greatest Theme Park Ride Of All Time. So naturally, we were eager to try it out.
Well, sure... if you can get on it. I've also heard it's notoriously prone to breakdowns.
Unlike Disney, where things are fairly controlled, there were several people/groups practically sprinting ahead to beat everyone else.
I noticed that too (before Hagrids existed) and was pretty surprised by it.
the kids marched on and held our place in line.
Hmmm... I guess with lockers, this is more to be expected. I know in Disney, you would've gotten a dirty look (and possibly blocked, depending on my mood) from me.
We were only able to exit by shoving several kids aside (Julie was by far more violent here).
I totally believe this. Doesn't surprise me one bit.
Um... So... PUT PEOPLE IN THEM.
A few minutes later, there was an announcement on the loudspeaker: “Attention, please. Hagrid’s Motorbike Adventure is currently down due to mechanical issues. We hope to have it running shortly. Thank you for your continued patience.”

Ugh.
Oh, no... :(
You get a little hope when the line moves ahead a bit, but again, you have no way of knowing if that means it’s actually moving or if people are just bailing ahead of you.
Oh, man. Yes! Exactly!
I always think "The line just moved... is it because people are getting on the ride yet? Or just bunching up? Or... most likely... abandoning ship because a CM told them (at the front) that the ride was going to be down for hours.
What do they know that I don't know???
It’s especially irritating when you can see the ride vehicles operating just fine on the ride. They kept coming, one after the other. Not knowing what’s wrong, it just makes you question why the ride is closed—it looks like it’s running just fine!
PUT PEOPLE ON THEM.

I wonder...
"I'll go on it and sign a waiver, okay?"
I spent X amount of $ on the tickets, and I’m currently getting zero value out of that investment
But you said you were able to look over the wall at other rides. Is that not entertaining?

entertained.gif
Eventually, after about an hour of waiting for Hagrid with no sign of opening, we bailed on the ride.
:(
Really sorry to hear that.
We walked over to Forbidden Journey, starting to make arrangements on where to meet up afterwards, only to stop in our tracks.

The wait time was now 80 minutes.
Oh, no...
Here’s a photo of a ride we didn’t get on:
Well... it is a nice photo.
A bulimic's paradise?
Frantically looking for something to do, we looked over at the Pteranodon Flyers—a kiddie ride, sure, but we were desperate.

No dice. An announcement played that they were temporarily out of service.
Oh, come on!! :sad2:
Continuing our circle, we walked past the King Kong ride, which somehow miraculously had a 20-minute wait. Sold! Because I’m gonna ride something, goshdangit.
Finally!
We made our way through the King Kong queue, which is really well done.

Maybe too well done. Drew started freaking out.
Oh, no!
Dave volunteered to take him out and wait for us, so we appreciated him taking one for the team.
That was very nice of Dave.
You got some good kids there.
The truck is basically surrounded by giant movie screens on each side, and people get attacked by monsters, and then Kong fights the monsters. It all looks good on the screen as the battle happens around you, but the actual experience ends up being some gentle bumping and jostling of the bus and a couple sprays of water. It felt like a lot of special-effects wizardry accomplishing not much in the end.
I enjoyed Kong, but... yes, I suppose you're right from a motion point of view. I just really liked how Kong would seamlessly move from one side to the other of the truck.
But Drew looks pretty happy.
He's too young to know that he's missing... everything.
Disney owns everything Marvel. Except, of course, theme park rights in Florida.
Ok, fine. It’s hard for most people to turn their brains off. I can do it just fine. See?
This comes as no surprise to anyone.
Ok, I’m back online
This is debatable.
And as it turned out, there was nothing to be worried about. The ride was a ton of fun. We had a great time with this one. Thank goodness!
I think Spiderman is easily one of the best rides in the park. Liked that one quite a bit.
We decided to try out Krusty Burgers. This was mostly due to being fans of the show. And it was…fine.
Yeah, that's about all you can say about it.
Sarah, Scotty and I went off to conquer the Mummy coaster.
Good!
But who cares? As it turned out, the ride is a BLAST.
Another top tier ride.
As much as I liked Gringotts, I actually liked this ride better
Really!
Hmmm... there certainly are similarities... and from a coaster standpoint, it's certainly better.
Nice shot!
Well, most of us did.

ACtC-3dVQXKca0rHD2zsEn-oAwxLhXbCaM-mIP73StgLP71YToqBO9jPemVMLGQwyd5UtRXzJLUtZXka6Zja4VNWF0VNN6JjAK3kIzaYKB1FgRuiI8F6k8aezw0CYNuVM7U7wBblLL4N5gcndQHrQiXwkLwk0Q=w713-h905-no
:laughing: Poor l'il guy. :)
we saw that Hagrid’s Motorbikes were now operational, and the wait was over 3 hours. Sigh.
The things we do for our kids. But hey, at least it was the hottest part of the day and there was no shade.
Yay!

Wait...
The ride is the Barnstormer. Like, literally.
Yup. Definitely not worth waiting an hour for or anything.

Oh... Sorry.
Meanwhile, Julie enjoyed exploring the Forbidden Journey queue.
::yes:: That's very well done.
We got another frozen butterbeer, because I felt like I needed some reward after an hour wait for a 30-second ride.
That's actually not a bad reward. Man I love those.
I hemmed and hawed over the coaster, but in the end I chickened out. The experience on the Simpsons was still fresh in my mind, and I remembered @pkondz saying he really enjoyed the Hulk, but a second ride had messed with his head a bit. And I didn’t want to chance that.
Too bad.
I think if I were to ride it again (or should I say "when"?) I'd make sure to get in the front.
That was fun. It was so much fun we immediately went again. In the back. That was not fun.
DD had to sit down. And I wasn't feeling much better.
Being a huge Indiana Jones fan, I ducked my head into the Jock Lindsey Hangar Bar,
::yes:: I like that place. :)
Truth be told, we probably bought more souvenirs here than we did at Universal. Is that wrong?
Nope!
We had a special treat for Dave that evening. A few years ago, one of his best friends from school moved to Florida (the Tampa area). Julie had texted Dave’s friend’s parents and they were actually willing to make the drive up from Tampa just to get Dave and his buddy together for a little while. It was really nice of them to do that, and I think Dave was really grateful to get the chance to talk to his friend again.
That's really great! Glad you made that (and the other parents) happen for him. :)
When I mentioned to the dad that I was impressed they were willing to make the drive, he said, “It’s Disney World. We’re always looking for excuses to come up here.” I get it, man. I get it.
Anyway, it was enough for me to walk in and see the theming, which is all sorts of art-deco styling and vintage travel posters. This is right up my alley. I loved the look of this place.
Looks pretty cool. Haven't been there yet.
I ordered my standard chicken parmesan, which was a huge slab of meat that I almost couldn’t finish.
You???????
Holy crap! That could feed... your entire family!
The food itself was pretty good. Not the best, not the worst.
I've heard that too. Kinda… standard fare?
He would tell us to choose a song, any song, and he would be able to play it for us.
Impressive.
The guy confessed that he didn’t know that one off the top of his head.
What???? I take the "impressive" comment back. LIES!!!!!
Holy cow. I take the "LIES" comment back and reinstitue the "impressive" comment with full privileges.
:) Cute shot.
Great family shot.
I especially like Drew's foot sticking out behind Sarah.
Oh look. A human pretzel.
How tired do you have to be to sleep like that?
(Answer: Theme park tired.)

My kids are also rope drop believers. My son spent two summers working at an amusement park and they call it “the running of the bulls” when folks are trying to get to the other end of the park for their new ride. I was there one time to witness it and my son told me to get out of the way. It was nuts to watch, runners, race walkers, etc.

Sorry the ride day was disappointing. We’ve definitely had some of those.

Loved that the violinist learned the Dr. Who theme!! Wow!! And the bonus off seeing an old friend.

Thanks for the update!

What do you think I am? Made of money? Hmmm, one wand might bring a bit of good fortune...

So two wands brings twice the good fortune!

Because it is.

If you get to ride it, maybe...

I super hate the locker system there.

It really is terrible. I was not a fan at all.

Not working? Hmmm.... seems like a tease.

It sure was that day.

Still think it's cool. I wanna eat there someday.

I actually did read good things about that restaurant. But we didn't bother trying for it.

I super loved Mummy. I don't think it was my favorite (I liked Men in Black more) but it is quite well done.

Men In Black was fun, but I'd take a roller coaster any day. Part of the reason I liked Mummy so much was that my expectations weren't real high going in.

Maybe there is a Coaster Adorus potion in there.

He actually does like coasters. Just not scary monsters and loud noises.

Yep. I rode it, but it was exactly Barnstormer. I thought Hippogriff has FAR better theming though.

Yeah, Harry Potter beats a circus for theme. But after an hour in line, I confess I didn't care about the theme much.

Funny how Disney can do that, isn't it?

This is so great and I think we can all relate to that on some level.

Absolutely! We find it impossible to go to Florida without coming up with a reason to get to Disney property somehow.

I LOVED the theming in there! Just perfect.

It was really great. I loved it, too.

I had the same experience. In fact, ours was so sweet that she literally influenced a HUGE portion of my Italy trip. Coming up on my TR but a bit later...

I wonder if it was the same server? I can't remember her name, though.

Now *that's* Disney!! And that's REAL honest to goodness talent!

Is it okay if I don't share that one with you?

Sure, you can keep it to yourself! :thumbsup2

I will be happy to give you this one. No sharing needed.

Bleh.

You have yours, we have ours... and 'nuff said about that!

At which point you will have just passed the last bathroom for 50 miles.

Exactly! So infuriating.

I think any item that puts you in that loop should qualify you to receive said item free of charge.
How long do you think it'd take them to fix that???

That's an awesome idea! I'd be on board with this. It seems to happen every single time I use the self-checkout line.

My girls are the same. One a bit more grudgingly than the other, but... yep.

Scientific evidence is overwhelmingly in favor of Rope Drop.

Shocked! I'm shocked by this!

Sorry, I should have made sure you were sitting down.

Well, sure... if you can get on it. I've also heard it's notoriously prone to breakdowns.

That sure seemed to be the case for us.

I noticed that too (before Hagrids existed) and was pretty surprised by it.

I understand the desire to get ahead of everyone, but I have to think it increases the likelihood somebody will get hurt.

Hmmm... I guess with lockers, this is more to be expected. I know in Disney, you would've gotten a dirty look (and possibly blocked, depending on my mood) from me.

I think it was generally to be expected. Everyone is using the lockers, and they beat it into your heads not to have everyone in your party go into the locker room, so I think everyone just understands what's happening.

I totally believe this. Doesn't surprise me one bit.

She's a mean one, for sure.

Um... So... PUT PEOPLE IN THEM.

That's what we were all thinking!

Oh, man. Yes! Exactly!
I always think "The line just moved... is it because people are getting on the ride yet? Or just bunching up? Or... most likely... abandoning ship because a CM told them (at the front) that the ride was going to be down for hours.
What do they know that I don't know???

That's so irritating. You just don't get any information at all. Meanwhile, the clock keeps ticking and the wait times for the other rides keep getting longer and longer...

PUT PEOPLE ON THEM.

I wonder...
"I'll go on it and sign a waiver, okay?"

It's tempting. I'm sure there is a reason why they do the things they do. We just don't know what it is.

But you said you were able to look over the wall at other rides. Is that not entertaining?

entertained.gif

No. No, it's not.

Really sorry to hear that.

Major bummer, for sure. It felt like we wasted a lot of time.

Well... it is a nice photo.

Thanks.

A bulimic's paradise?

Maybe? It's just a very..um..striking visual.

Oh, come on!!

Exactly what we said!

That was very nice of Dave.
You got some good kids there.

Thanks, and I agree. Really proud of these guys.

I enjoyed Kong, but... yes, I suppose you're right from a motion point of view. I just really liked how Kong would seamlessly move from one side to the other of the truck.

I think the effects are very well done. But it just didn't do much for me as a ride. Felt like I was sitting in a bus watching a movie, not really a part of the action.

But Drew looks pretty happy.
He's too young to know that he's missing... everything.

Ignorance is bliss!

This comes as no surprise to anyone.

Huh. I thought there'd be more shock over that one.

This is debatable.

No, I'm pretty sure it's up and running again and I--

HEY!

I think Spiderman is easily one of the best rides in the park. Liked that one quite a bit.

It really was a lot of fun.

Yeah, that's about all you can say about it.

Theme park burgers always seem to be disappointing.

Another top tier ride.

Mummy was a ton of fun. It really felt like it moved fast.

Really!
Hmmm... there certainly are similarities... and from a coaster standpoint, it's certainly better.

I will almost always take a coaster over a simulator--I like the speed and actual movement instead of the simulation of movement. Mummy was more of the former, Gringotts more of the latter. Not that Gringotts isn't a very fun ride itself.

Nice shot!

Thanks!

Yup. Definitely not worth waiting an hour for or anything.

Oh... Sorry.

That's actually not a bad reward. Man I love those.

They were pretty tasty.

Too bad.
I think if I were to ride it again (or should I say "when"?) I'd make sure to get in the front.
That was fun. It was so much fun we immediately went again. In the back. That was not fun.
DD had to sit down. And I wasn't feeling much better.

My kids told me that they think I would have really liked it. And they're probably right. I was just skittish after already getting motion sickness the day before. I didn't want to chance it.

That's really great! Glad you made that (and the other parents) happen for him.

I feel like the other parents had the tougher job, so good on them for being willing to drive up and meet us.

Looks pretty cool. Haven't been there yet.

Great theme. Very fun to just take it in.

You???????

That thing was huge!

Holy crap! That could feed... your entire family!

They were definitely generous with the portion sizes.

I've heard that too. Kinda… standard fare?

Yeah, pretty standard. I don't think I had anything that I hadn't had better elsewhere. But also nothing that was bad.

Impressive.

What???? I take the "impressive" comment back. LIES!!!!!

Holy cow. I take the "LIES" comment back and reinstitue the "impressive" comment with full privileges.

This series gave me whiplash. But yes, I was amazed at his ability.

Great family shot.
I especially like Drew's foot sticking out behind Sarah.

That's my boy! :rotfl2:

Oh look. A human pretzel.
How tired do you have to be to sleep like that?
(Answer: Theme park tired.)

Precisely. I would spend a month in traction if I tried that.

My kids are also rope drop believers. My son spent two summers working at an amusement park and they call it “the running of the bulls” when folks are trying to get to the other end of the park for their new ride. I was there one time to witness it and my son told me to get out of the way. It was nuts to watch, runners, race walkers, etc.

People are nuts! Especially when there's a brand new ride out there.

Sorry the ride day was disappointing. We’ve definitely had some of those.

Win some, lose some. It was just a day where things didn't go our way.

Loved that the violinist learned the Dr. Who theme!! Wow!! And the bonus off seeing an old friend.

At least the day ended well, right?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter