• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Check MGM schedule before getting there early with preschoolers.

L

lab001

We found that there wasn't anything to do with our preschoolers at MGM until 10:00am when the first show of Playhouse Disney began.

We made an effort to get there by 8:30am so that we could go through security and the gates and be ready for the rope drop at 9:00am. Then, we had nothing to do until 9:45 when we got in line for Playhouse Disney. The only thing available earlier was The Muppets 3D which we already knew would be to scarry and loud for our 5 year olds. We just kind of walked around until it was time for Playhouse Disney. Even the professional photographers were not there in the morning.

We were there on 3/12, prior to the Feb. vacation scheduling, so perhaps they have revised this. Just obtain a showtime schedule before killing yourself to get there early if you have toddlers/preschoolers.

We (DH, DSs 4 and 6, and me) rode the Great Movie Ride while we waited for the first Playhouse Disney show a few weeks ago. DSs loved Star Tours and Backlot Tours, and I believe those attractions open when the park opens (however, Backlot Tours takes 35 minutes, and that doesn't include waiting in line so you might miss the first PD show).

I think there is plenty to do with a preschooler. we were able to do almost everyting at MGM with our 2 1/2 yr old. I really tihnk your 5 yr olds would have been fine with Muppet 3 D. If the effects scare them they can always take the glasses off.
You could have done
the great movie ride
Star tours
voyage of the little mermaid
I'm not sure when HISTK palyground opens but perhaps it. I think My DH took our DD over there while DS and rode TOT and RNR when we first arrived

lab001-
I certainly understand your situation. I have a 4 and 6 year old and one of mine was very timid and didn't like the gunshots in The Great Movie Ride nor was he a great fan of Muppets3D with or without the glasses. I appreciate the heads-up about the timing of the Playhouse Disney show as I want to take my children in April. Susan

Get through the gate and wander straight over to Muppets, see the show, then wander back to Little Mermaid and get a Fastpass for the first show. (If you catch the first Muppets show you may have time to fit in the first run of the StarWars ride before heading back to the front of the park, if you are interested.)

As soon as you get the Fastpasses, cross the street to Playhouse Disney and get in line, parking your stroller near the "front" end of the building nearest the archway. Mickey Mouse almost always shows up at the greeting area near the PD line at that hour. Watching Mickey will keep the little ones fairly well occupied until time to go in to the show.

If you have timed it right, your Fastpass time should come up just as you leave Playhouse Disney, so leave your stroller where it is and cross right back over to the theatre. You will get the best seats for little ones by going to the far side of the inside waiting area, well away from the doors. This will put you in the best position for getting a middle seat near the back of the theatre, where the special effects are most noticable, and the LARGE puppets (especially Ursula) are far enough away to be less intimidating. When you exit the Mermaid theatre, you will be facing the PD theatre again, so it's easy to reclaim your stroller on that side, instead of backtracking to the Mermaid entrance, where everyone else left theirs.

Then it's off to Lunch!:D

My daughter is VERY timid - and she found Muppets 3-D to be ok, she had her glasses on and off, and we sat near the door in case we needed to leave, but she was ok.

She also liked the HISTK playground, and the Little Mermaid show (although that can be a bit intense in one scene). I would agree that Playhouse Disney was her favorite, but we didn't get there till way after lunch as we were so busy doing other things first.,

Bev

Unlike the characters on Sesame Street, the characters on the Muppets tend to be a little hard-edged sometimes. It helps if the kids know the schtick ahead of time, so that they
look forward to the things like pie fights.

DH and I love the Muppets, and we own quite a few Muppet videos. (They are hard to find in stores these days, due to some disputes over the rights, but you can usually find them at rental shops.) DS likes the Muppets much better than Sesame Street, and always has. I guess he just likes that level of physical humour.

DS' favorite part of the Muppets 3-D show is the bubbles; he thinks that is just cooler than cool.

skeezixspud, you really do have it down to a science! I think that is a great plan.

As for kids not liking certain things, we had a really tough time with my then 4yo in many of the kids shows because the theaters are dark and she was scared. She was so bad that if she even thought it was gonna be dark, she wouldn't go. We got into the waiting area for muppets 3D and she couldn't handle it and ran for the door. Dh ended up staying with her outside. She wasn't thrilled w/Mermaid because of the dark and Ursula, but she got thru it. I won't even go into the Bug's Life ordeal! ROFL! I really think these things depend on the kids. Ya just have to be able to go w/the flow.

lab001, thanks for bringing this up.

:-)

Jackie

if your kid is afraid of the dark rides, then it's worth trying a light-up toy, We got a pooh bear light up wand thing at Spectromagic, it was quite pricey (I think $11) but it was worth it's weight in gold.

As you can only see the toy working in the dark, it meant that my dd was not only willing but even keen to go into dark rides/shows (which she had hadn't previously) as it meant she could switch on her Pooh Bear and see it working. It's not so bright that it disturbs anyone else and it really gave her a lot of confidence knowing that Pooh was there so it wouldn't be really dark

Bev

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter