Checkin: Quiet on the Single Parents Board

It's crunch time! School starts tomorrow and we will in Disney in 10 days :)
3 days after returning I'm moving.....ahhhh. Family home sold so I'm off to start new with the kids :)

Crunch time indeed! Happy BTS, awesome Disney vacation coming up...enjoy, and congrats on your new start with the kids!

They know how to get you don't they?? My kiddo dislocated his shoulder over the weekend and is now milking his injury. He is too sick to go to school and I shouldn't go to work to stay home with him :(

And he woke up with a fever this morning... gave him some medicine. We will head to school when it opens so he can at least meet the teacher and see his classroom but I suspect he won't be staying! I'm supposed to go back to work tomorrow but have emailed my boss to see if I can extend the vacation to the end of the week, fever today will likely be around tomorrow too... so I'll be lucky if he goes to school this week. Crappy way to start out!

Oh man, I'm in trouble! DS makes me melt by just coming up to me and kissing me without being asked. He's not even talking yet. Oy! :)

Yeah just wait, I've had him tell me he wishes he had a daddy since a daddy would have more time to play with him... cause you know I have to do stuff like clean the house, cook, work...

And he woke up with a fever this morning... gave him some medicine. We will head to school when it opens so he can at least meet the teacher and see his classroom but I suspect he won't be staying! I'm supposed to go back to work tomorrow but have emailed my boss to see if I can extend the vacation to the end of the week, fever today will likely be around tomorrow too... so I'll be lucky if he goes to school this week. Crappy way to start out!

Yeah just wait, I've had him tell me he wishes he had a daddy since a daddy would have more time to play with him... cause you know I have to do stuff like clean the house, cook, work...

Oh no!!! Poor little guy! That IS a crappy way to start the school year. I pray your little guy fights off whatever infection he has and feels better soon! I also hope your boss doesn't give you any pushback regarding staying home to care for your little one. DS got a fever not long ago. It started on a Sunday night and didn't break completely until Thursday night, when the antibiotics finally kicked in! As a parent, it's hard to see our kids sick. I'm praying your little one feels better soon!

Yep, DS wants my constant attention. Even when he wants to play "alone", I have to be within crawling/cruising distance, so he can periodically come over and hang on me. So, we cook together (him in the high chair) and I clean when he's with his dad. Otherwise, because he can't talk, I'd get a meltdown to communicate to me that he wants my attention. LOL

Goodness everyone are busy bees!! The start of school is a busy time of year. Today is the first day of school for my big fifth grader!! We are starting a week late due to construction at the school. We leave for Disney in 9 days and I'm not ready yet!! I was planning on getting the last minute things today but I'm locked out of the house! Thank God for the school bus and I wasn't running late today. Oh the best part of it all the apartment office doesn't open till 10am so two hours sitting outside! Thank goodness it is nice today.

Goodness everyone are busy bees!! The start of school is a busy time of year. Today is the first day of school for my big fifth grader!! We are starting a week late due to construction at the school. We leave for Disney in 9 days and I'm not ready yet!! I was planning on getting the last minute things today but I'm locked out of the house! Thank God for the school bus and I wasn't running late today. Oh the best part of it all the apartment office doesn't open till 10am so two hours sitting outside! Thank goodness it is nice today.

Happy BTS! I hope your 5th grader has a great day at school today! Your Disney trip sounds exciting. Sorry you're locked out. One more hour before the office opens? I'm glad you at least have nice weather. :)

I successfully made it back to my house today!! Thank you for the concern! My 5th grader had a great day, he liked his new teacher. Thank goodness it was nice weather in the morning, the afternoon was blazing hot!!

It has been a bit busy. Back to school for kids, my DS first year in PreK, and my DD first year in cheer. I work for school district so registration was super busy time. Finances are super tight, and I am falling behind. :worried: Just trying to maintain. It will be a long winter with limited funds, but should get a bit better with income tax time. I briefly, I SAID BRIEFLY, considered canceling my cruise so I could get the deposit back to help with bills, but I didn't. I am determined to make this happen! Things could be worse, so I am counting my blessings! :)

Well my boss let me have the vacation time, so I don't have to use my family leave, which means I'll have that for winter when I'm sure kiddo will be sick. And also means I now don't go back to work until Monday, phew! Kiddo is at school today, I called to find out who his teacher will be, and he was happy. I'm not sure all his friends will be in his class but his best frenemy will not be in his class. This is a little boy who we have had issues with from day 1, they love each other but are just so bad when they are together. So it's good. But hopefully he'll have a friend or two in his class! Of course now he missed the first day so he will have whatever desk is left, and cubby, and all that stuff. Oh well... he'll survive and hopefully tell me all about it when he gets home.

Man do I ever want to plan a trip. But I am waiting for a new contract at work which will come with about 3 years of back pay, and a raise. Then I have to decide, be responsible and pay stuff off or go on a trip, cruise or Disney. I know what I should do... but what do I want lol. Considering it will come with a chunk of money that could be the down payment on a house as well, I should pay stuff off so I can buy a house. But oh my do I want a trip! Any way.

It has been a bit busy. Back to school for kids, my DS first year in PreK, and my DD first year in cheer. I work for school district so registration was super busy time. Finances are super tight, and I am falling behind. :worried: Just trying to maintain. It will be a long winter with limited funds, but should get a bit better with income tax time. I briefly, I SAID BRIEFLY, considered canceling my cruise so I could get the deposit back to help with bills, but I didn't. I am determined to make this happen! Things could be worse, so I am counting my blessings! :)

I get the tight finances for sure. I have to plan down to the penny what I'm spending, and it sucks. I know this time last year I was worrying about my trip, ended up cancelling my Disney cruise and going Carnival instead (it was about 1/3 the price!) and it was pretty awesome any way. We did spend two nights at Disney before the cruise and that was pretty amazing, now we can't wait to go again, Disney and more cruises. I'd love to do a Disney cruise, but having started with Carnival and knowing it was pretty nice (we really enjoyed the ports, and he loved the kids club, it was smaller than I imagine Disney's and relatively quiet so he got a lot of attention from the workers), I am not sure I can justify the cost. Any way! I hope you are able to keep your trip and that things look up for you soon.

Happy BTS. Praying the finances work out, so you and the kids can make it through the winter and enjoy your first Disney cruise. Hang in there mama. We're strong. We're single parents. We always find a way.

Well my boss let me have the vacation time, so I don't have to use my family leave, which means I'll have that for winter when I'm sure kiddo will be sick. And also means I now don't go back to work until Monday, phew! Kiddo is at school today, I called to find out who his teacher will be, and he was happy. I'm not sure all his friends will be in his class but his best frenemy will not be in his class. This is a little boy who we have had issues with from day 1, they love each other but are just so bad when they are together. So it's good. But hopefully he'll have a friend or two in his class! Of course now he missed the first day so he will have whatever desk is left, and cubby, and all that stuff. Oh well... he'll survive and hopefully tell me all about it when he gets home.

Man do I ever want to plan a trip. But I am waiting for a new contract at work which will come with about 3 years of back pay, and a raise. Then I have to decide, be responsible and pay stuff off or go on a trip, cruise or Disney. I know what I should do... but what do I want lol. Considering it will come with a chunk of money that could be the down payment on a house as well, I should pay stuff off so I can buy a house. But oh my do I want a trip! Any way.

I get the tight finances for sure. I have to plan down to the penny what I'm spending, and it sucks. I know this time last year I was worrying about my trip, ended up cancelling my Disney cruise and going Carnival instead (it was about 1/3 the price!) and it was pretty awesome any way. We did spend two nights at Disney before the cruise and that was pretty amazing, now we can't wait to go again, Disney and more cruises. I'd love to do a Disney cruise, but having started with Carnival and knowing it was pretty nice (we really enjoyed the ports, and he loved the kids club, it was smaller than I imagine Disney's and relatively quiet so he got a lot of attention from the workers), I am not sure I can justify the cost. Any way! I hope you are able to keep your trip and that things look up for you soon.

I'm glad it worked out (time off to care for DS). I hope your DS is feeling better.

DCL is expensive. I love NCL! That's my cruise line of choice. Their new ships. I've booked 7 night cruises on them for $800 total for two people. As soon as DS turns 3, we will be cruising NCL!!! The price difference is significant. DS and I can take 2-3 cruises a year at that price. Lol. Right now, DCL is better for DS's age. I love the amenities they have onboard for him. So, Disney it is for now. :)

Hey :) All good here - we have just gone into Spring (yay!) but that hasn't stopped the entire family coming down with bugs (including mum). It's a busy time with Uni for me at the moment so I've been (attempting) to spend my free time wisely ;) Freaking out at the exchange rate predictions for the AUD-USD for next year, our next trip to the USA may have to be postponed :sad: but we could manage a trip closer to home, so maybe HK DL perhaps. See what is happening at the end of the year.

Hope everyone is doing OK. It's actually R U OK day today in Oz! http://yourstruly.org.au/#/story

:cool1::cheer2::banana::cool1:
Hey :) All good here - we have just gone into Spring (yay!) but that hasn't stopped the entire family coming down with bugs (including mum). It's a busy time with Uni for me at the moment so I've been (attempting) to spend my free time wisely ;) Freaking out at the exchange rate predictions for the AUD-USD for next year, our next trip to the USA may have to be postponed :sad: but we could manage a trip closer to home, so maybe HK DL perhaps. See what is happening at the end of the year.

Hope everyone is doing OK. It's actually R U OK day today in Oz! http://yourstruly.org.au/#/story

Oh no! I hope you and the kids feel better soon!

R U Okay day...too cute! I'm better than ok today. I just got my baby back after a VERY LONG holiday weekend with his dad. So, I am beyond ecstatic to be sitting in the glider with DS in my lap, after just nursing him to sleep for an early morning nap. :cool1::banana::cheer2: When he wakes up, I'm making him Mickey Mouse pancakes for breakfast.

Also, happy NFL Regular Season kickoff day! DS and I have our NFL gear ready to wear tonight as we watch the first NFL game of the 2015 season (Patriots vs Steelers) tonight. Yay!

Last edited:
For me it's the 1st year of middle school & having to cope with the fact that my son now walks home from school by himself. It's the 1st time I've had to put him out in the world by himself. Every afternoon I'm a nervous wreck until he calls to say he made it home safely. And then there is soccer 3 times a week. Each year he tells me he wants to play, yet I end up practically having to drag him to each practice & game with him complaining the whole way. But I believe that once he's made a commitment to the team (and I've paid the money for it), he needs to see the season through. Add to that, that I hate my job with the fiery passion of a thousand burning & suns, so I'm constantly searching for something different. Wow, I'm exhausted just typing about it, let alone living it.

I guess the moral of this board is September sucks for us single parents. All the back to school costs combined with getting on a new schedule & fall activities kicking in. And having to do everything mostly, if not completely, on our own. I hope we all survive to actually see our next Disney trips!

For me it's the 1st year of middle school & having to cope with the fact that my son now walks home from school by himself. It's the 1st time I've had to put him out in the world by himself. Every afternoon I'm a nervous wreck until he calls to say he made it home safely. And then there is soccer 3 times a week. Each year he tells me he wants to play, yet I end up practically having to drag him to each practice & game with him complaining the whole way. But I believe that once he's made a commitment to the team (and I've paid the money for it), he needs to see the season through. Add to that, that I hate my job with the fiery passion of a thousand burning & suns, so I'm constantly searching for something different. Wow, I'm exhausted just typing about it, let alone living it.

I guess the moral of this board is September sucks for us single parents. All the back to school costs combined with getting on a new schedule & fall activities kicking in. And having to do everything mostly, if not completely, on our own. I hope we all survive to actually see our next Disney trips!

Sounds like a lot! I am not looking forward to my son walking home alone... I agree with you, I'd be a nervous wreck too! Even though I know he will make the right choices. I am so glad he only has basketball once a week. If he likes it we will look at the other leagues in the area that do more, but for trying it out, I picked the cheapest option lol. I don't like to sign him up for something big and then have him hate it! He did that with t-ball two summers ago, and it was horrible trying to get him to go, when I didn't really want to either. Hope your job search goes well. I don't hate my job quite that much, but it is not what I want to be doing.

Looks like you have some trips coming up so I hope those do get you through! I really want to plan something.

Sounds like a lot! I am not looking forward to my son walking home alone... I agree with you, I'd be a nervous wreck too! Even though I know he will make the right choices. I am so glad he only has basketball once a week. If he likes it we will look at the other leagues in the area that do more, but for trying it out, I picked the cheapest option lol. I don't like to sign him up for something big and then have him hate it! He did that with t-ball two summers ago, and it was horrible trying to get him to go, when I didn't really want to either. Hope your job search goes well. I don't hate my job quite that much, but it is not what I want to be doing.

Looks like you have some trips coming up so I hope those do get you through! I really want to plan something.

I agree with both of you...when DS reaches that age, I'm sure I'll be a wreck letting him go out (walk to school) on his own.

Hey everyone! I missed you all. I got caught in the "too busy, too tired" rut. So, I haven't been on the board in a while. I've also been working more than usual. I need to take care of some unexpected financial obligations. I've contemplated canceling our December WDW trip, but I'm still trying to work it out. I might have to reduce the number of days, but I'm still trying to make it work.

Did everyone survive the September/October "getting back into the swing of things", back to school, financially demanding times? I hope all is well with everyone. :)

Well for me things have gotten pretty tight financially but we have been ‘eeking’ by. The thought crossed my mind I could cancel my cruise and the deposit money would help immensely but I refuse because my kids and I have been looking forward to a cruise for years. I am making it happen because most likely won’t happen again for awhile. I will be on a little better ground come tax time, but seriously, that cruise is going to take most of that too. We are very excited about going though, and right now are just taking it one week at a time.

I'm off work this week--I had one more week's worth of vacation, and I had to take it or lose it. So, since my daughter is in school and we can't go anywhere, I'm working around the house. I bought a new back door, but I have to wait for all of this rain to stop before I can install it. I'll just have to do other work on the inside--a single parent's work is never done!

Well for me things have gotten pretty tight financially but we have been ‘eeking’ by. The thought crossed my mind I could cancel my cruise and the deposit money would help immensely but I refuse because my kids and I have been looking forward to a cruise for years. I am making it happen because most likely won’t happen again for awhile. I will be on a little better ground come tax time, but seriously, that cruise is going to take most of that too. We are very excited about going though, and right now are just taking it one week at a time.

I understand. Enjoy every minute when you and the kids get on that cruise.

I'm off work this week--I had one more week's worth of vacation, and I had to take it or lose it. So, since my daughter is in school and we can't go anywhere, I'm working around the house. I bought a new back door, but I have to wait for all of this rain to stop before I can install it. I'll just have to do other work on the inside--a single parent's work is never done!

Hanging a door? You are awesome! Go, super, single mom!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!