• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Checking in late and getting the room/area you want

BostonTigger

<font color=purple>I want the Swiss Family Treehou
What is the best time for checking in? I've always gone early in the day and checked in early and pretty much got what I wanted. However, for my next trip I'm considering taking a late flite in hopes in saveing some money on my tickets. What are my chances of getting the room/area I want when flying in late, and i'm considering anywhere after 8pm? I would appreciate the information.

steven

We went last December with another family. Our first night we stayed at ASMo before moving to BWI the next morning. The other family checked in to BWI the evening of our arrival. They did not get anything they asked for (except for the king sized bed) and ended up changing rooms the next day. When we checked in the next morning we had gotten every thing we requested. I'm sure there will be people here who have checked in late and had no problems getting what they requested. I just feel better checking in early even if I have to wait on my room!

Hi - I don't know if time of day really matters. My husband and I checked in late morning at AKL. We had requested a king size bed and didn't get it. I think it is the luck of the draw. Have a great time. :D

We checked in at exactly 3pm at WL and couldn't get anything we wanted. They told us it is first come first serve when it comes to requests even if you listed them when you originally book. This next trip we are going to check in alot earlier.

This is why I check in early so I can get what I want...but at the same time flying late would save me some money (this depends on the airline). I guess if you're not too picky then it doesn't matter. I've only been a couple of times, so I guess if I went late then it wouldn't matter because I really don't have any preferences. Thanks for all the info though I really appreciate it.

Steven

If you arrive late and can't get the room you want, you can always ask about moving to another room the next day. We have done this before. It's no big deal if you don't totally unpack that first night. :D

I really think the whole thing is a crap shoot. We stayed at the Poly in 99 and checked in midafternoon and being our first time requested nothing but got a fabulous room overlooking a garden area with torches and were on the top floor. This past Dec we checked in well before noon at the WL and got none of our requests (high floor - lake view) but got (first floor - pool view) but I was able to get a different room which had our lake view but only 3rd floor. In the end it was perfect for our group but I was surprised checking in that early we didn't have a better chance. This year it'll be just the 2 of us again so if I'm not satisfied with what we get, I'm going to nicely ask if we can wait until maybe another room is clean. I'm also going to be sure to fax in our requests which I haven't before to see if that helps!

...it depends upon the time of year. I've been told by CM's that it's pretty much "first come, first serve", which, basically means that the earlier you arrive to check in, the better location (or your needs) will be accomodated. Can you change your arrival date to the next day? Then, stay at a lower-priced resort/hotel for that night only. You will already be in the Orlando-area....I also agree with the idea of geting a room and switching (if possible) the next day.

GOOD LUCK!:D

We booked our trip to WL 1 1/2 years in advance and listed our requests when we booked. {connecting rooms due to a medical condition and upper floor. We had already paid for a courtyard view} Then we faxed three days before arriving. {which they claimed they never received} We still had to stand at check in for almost two hours before the manager finally upgraded us to a king room so we could connect. Our confirmation papers said connecting rooms guaranteed because of the medical but they still kept insisting that there just were no more connecting rooms left. Arrive as early as you possibly can or as kimmaro67 posted stay offsite for a night so you can get there early.

with giving their guests what they want/request. We stayed there for the first time in February (value season.)

We stayed in the villas, requesting a water view, basically just wanted the back of the building. We checked in late afternoon, CM told us she didn't know what the room view was, never mind the other misinformation.

We also made our request upon booking and again three days in advance. We were told they had our requests, but in the end we were told it was first come first serve! So why request at all???

Seems that WL is notorious for not giving guests what they want!

When we drive, we usually arrive around 3:00 PM; and we usually just take whatever they give us. We really haven't been disappointed in any of our room assignments.

In Dec, 2000 (the week AFTER Thanksgiving), we flew in and arrived around 10:00 AM. We were staying at the All Star Movies and my little girl had been saying she wanted to stay with Jessie and Woody. I asked for Toy Story section, but we were given Love Bug. We really liked the Love Bug section - it was VERY quiet; and a short walk to the food court/bus stop. It worked out perfect for us!

In Dec, 2001 (again, the week AFTER Thanksgiving), we flew in and arrived after midnight - actually we got to the hotel around 1:00 AM. I asked if 101 Dalmations was available and we got it! Again, we were very pleased with our room - it was very quiet and still a short walk to the food court/bus stop.

I think it just depends... I like to go with the flow on rooms. It really doesn't matter much to me - I really just want a quiet section!

Remember, you aren't *competing* for rooms with just the other folks who arrive the same day that you do, you are competing with everyone who is at that resort during the same week. No matter what time you arrive in the morning, you can't compete with those who arrived the day before. So, it really makes no sense to stay at another resort (say, all-stars) for one night and then to move early in the morning. If it really works to get there early, then you could just switch rooms in your resort on your second day. If nothing else, I would think a resort would make more of an effort to give a room to a person who was already at the resort, because, once again, someone arriving from allstars in the morning would be *behind* the guest who had checked in the night before. Get it? :) Although, I don't know if either way will get you exactly what you want, especially at a busy time of year. If there are no rooms meeting your requests available when you arrive, they might not be available the whole week. We went at a slow time (early December) and I faxed our room request to the Poly three-four days before we arrived. We arrived on a Saturday at about 12pm. Not too early, not too late, but there was still a line at the front desk. We got our request. I think keeping requests simple helps. All we asked for was Tahiti building ground floor, (Thanks, Tikiman!) of course we had paid for lagoon view, so no problem there. I wonder if we got ours over someone else because we paid rack rate (we only made the decision to go a week earlier). Does anyone think it matters how much you are paying, or what it says about you in their computers? (like how often you visit, etc.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter