Cheese - allowed across the border or not?

Disney Addicted

DIS Veteran
So I booked the hotel in Minnesota today. My daughter & I start our drive next Thursday morning. I was talking with my brother just now and I was going on how I'm going to bring back at least 3 containers of Philadelphia Pineapple cream cheese back with me. (And maybe 2 other flavours).

He says cheese isn't allowed across the border. Would anyone know about this? Even cream cheese? :headache: I haven't had pineapple cream cheese in 2 or 3 years.

Unless something's changed, cream cheese is allowed back into Canada. I don't know about the other direction, though.

I do think it is funny that they set the "personal use" limit at 20kg. I would not want to be cleaning the toilets for the person or family who brings back 20kg of cheese per person for personal consumption!

And yes, we bring back a (much smaller) quantity of Cabot cheddar most trips state side. They have some really fun flavours - horseradish cheddar, yum!

20kg is a lot of cheese. But to be fair, I've heard some cheese wheels are pretty heavy.

20kg is a lot of cheese. But to be fair, I've heard some cheese wheels are pretty heavy.
Can you imagine what the car would smell like after driving home from Florida with a 20k wheel of cheese in the trunk?!? :scared: :scared1: :joker:

ETA: I know the OP is only going to Minnesota; I'm just sayin' don't try this with the long drive home from the deep south...

I buy cheese every single time I drive across the border. I go for the 2 pound block of Tillamook (and stock up when we actually get down as far as Tillamook). Never had an issue, ever.

I do my grocery shopping in the States quite often. I've never been asked to itemize what I bought when driving across. I do keep my receipts because you never know when they might ask for them and it will be the one time I don't have them. We always get asked about alcohol and tobacco products, but have never been asked about dairy or meat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!