Chicago Cubs fans - Rebuilding Year 2023

I have mixed emotions about this. I 100% agree with Maddon, if the catcher is blocking the plate, you have the right to hit him. They're trying to prevent the score (hence blocking) and you're trying to score, hence trying to knock the ball loose. That's baseball. What I don't agree with what Maddon said is trying to slide around will hurt you...I think the collision is more likely to hurt either or both players. As I said before, the catcher blocking the plate is somewhat of an unfair advantage for the defender...they have chest protector and shin guards..the runner has (potentially) a helmet. The part I'm slightly having a problem with is it seems as if Rizzo was aiming for the catcher and not the plate. Again, you're taught to try to jar the ball loose, so I do not think it was a deliberate attempt by Rizzo to hurt anyone, but a bit questionable. I don't think it's worthy of a suspension by ANY means. He didn't lower his shoulder and he didn't try to run THROUGH him and he didn't do a football type block with his hands or arms.

Cubs are REALLY gong to have to embrace the target as Rizzo is THE water cooler talk of the week. I can now see a 1 game suspension slapped on him,(along with the fine) he will appeal and BECAUSE Riz is one of the cleanest players out there, gonna be made an example of. Here's the thing..while he DID take (to me) 2 steps inside the baseline and he had room to the right, even if he had gone the OTHER side, Hedges is going to dive at him to stop him. Anyone think Hedges doesn't dive at Rizzo if he had gone 2 steps to the right? That is what Riz was saying, that he hits Hedges or Hedges then hits into him, and injury usually happens. The runner knows the catcher is going to catch the ball and aim for him. Legally according to the rule(which is flawed in it's purpose of trying to protect the catcher and not BOTH runner and catcher, hamstring, anyone?) since Hedges had the ball (and full control of the ball, even had it after the hit) and Rizzo didn't show intent by as you said a shoulder or hand etc, it is legal. Not cool, but legal. Just like the second base rule we have been burned on both ways. I WILL say for Andy Green to state that due to the current rule his catcher "shouldn't expect to be hit" is pretty crazy. A catcher should ALWAYS expect that as part of his game. Catcher's still get hit all the time AND do the hitting as well. His word smith of signaling his team to retaliate even more predictable. On the flip side, Maddon and Cub Nation would be wigging out if it were Willy or Miggy who had been hit. This tells me the rule is not adequate enough to much other than tick off one side or the other. Rizzo can take a pitch, all eyes are looking for it now..it's the dirty play toward Willy or another player that's going to be a bench clearer.

Rizzo needs to take some lessons from Cog's , lol.
upload_2017-6-20_8-56-58.jpeg

even Hedges didn't call it out as dirty

Hedges, who told the Union Tribune after that game that he was feeling "a lot better," said he didn't think the collision was malicious.

"I don't know," Hedges said. "I'd have to take a look at it. I thought I gave him the plate."

No one on the Cubs' side saw it that way.

"It's one of those plays where it's very sensitive,'' Rizzo said. "It's a play where I'm out by two steps. If I slide, he runs into me.

"I've talked to a lot of umpires about this rule. It's my understanding if they have the ball, it's game on.''

Last edited:
Is there another angle of the slide available? The only one I found was from the TV feed where the camera goes back to Rizz at the last couple seconds. I'd like to see his approach to the plate.

I wonder if he was on the wrong foot to slide behind the catcher.
I think in the last 2 seconds of 240 pounds of momentum Riz isn't the most agile of players. Doesn't excuse him , but again, if we are going to stick to the wording of the rule, legal. What's going to tick me off is we usually get the short end of the wording. Meaning, another team gets out of it by the wording, but since it's the W.S. Cubs vs the last place Padre's,and Rizzo is on a historic lead off tear and SOMEBODY'S gotta try and tear that down, NOW it's under a bigger microscope. Even if Hedges is fine to play you gotta wonder if Greene keeps him out for "state your case" sake. Was Riz supposed to just stop 4 feet out because Hedges had the ball? Padre's pitcher Chacin throws 85..and if he nails Rizzo , it will be one more way on base as LO that he hasn't used yet. A triple and HBP are still on his check list. Rizzo and Jay do decent against him.

Last edited:
Awww thanks! One game down!

I LOVE watching Contreras play! So glad he had a great game.

:rotfl:

When Szczur threw that ball that got Riz out I wondered if he was thinking "Sorry you traded me NOW??" But that was an outstanding throw...

I hope nothing like that happens. But I did joke last night when Sz was hit that was "payback" for getting out Riz. It might prove to be an interesting game tonight...

Nah. Szczur just a victim of Hector's Marmol impersonation some days. Padre's probs won't do anything immediately, I see them pulling it about the 7th/8th inning tomorrow and then hopping their plane outta here.

It was really hard to see Matty go and Tommy stay, but Joe LOVES Tommy and his leftie bat.

I think in the last 2 seconds of 240 pounds of momentum Riz isn't the most agile of players. Doesn't excuse him , but again, if we are going to stick to the wording of the rule, legal. What's going to tick me off is we usually get the short end of the wording. Meaning, another team gets out of it by the wording, but since it's the W.S. Cubs vs the last place Padre's,and Rizzo is on a historic lead off tear and SOMEBODY'S gotta try and tear that down, NOW it's under a bigger microscope. Even if Hedges is fine to play you gotta wonder if Greene keeps him out for "state your case" sake. Was Riz supposed to just stop 4 feet out because Hedges had the ball? Padre's pitcher Chacin throws 85..and if he nails Rizzo , it will be one more way on base as LO that he hasn't used yet. A triple and HBP are still on his check list. Rizzo and Jay do decent against him.

not sure if this is any better, but it does show Hedges directing HIS movement toward Rizzo, not offering up the "wide open" lane as Greene keeps saying. Again, yes, going that side would have been better, but legally as the crappy rule is written, this shouldn't be overturned. You can see the slide mark Riz leaves inside the baseline, but also see Hedges moving in to block the plate((0:10/0:24)..and also keep in mind we all can replay this over and over and over, Rizzo and Hedges have a split second to evaluate.
http://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/mp4/2017/06/20/1516042483/1497924202911/asset_2500K.mp4

not sure if this is any better, but it does show Hedges directing HIS movement toward Rizzo, not offering up the "wide open" lane as Greene keeps saying. Again, yes, going that side would have been better, but legally as the crappy rule is written, this shouldn't be overturned. You can see the slide mark Riz leaves inside the baseline, but also see Hedges moving in to block the plate((0:10/0:24)..and also keep in mind we all can replay this over and over and over, Rizzo and Hedges have a split second to evaluate.
http://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/mp4/2017/06/20/1516042483/1497924202911/asset_2500K.mp4

I think Rizz ought to wear QB rib protector tonight. :lmao:

Again, the goal for catcher is prevent the run. The goal for runner is either slide in under/around or jar the ball loose. It was not dirty or malicious, but I agree...because we won the WS last year, they may try to make an example. :sad2:

Is there another angle of the slide available? The only one I found was from the TV feed where the camera goes back to Rizz at the last couple seconds. I'd like to see his approach to the plate.

I wonder if he was on the wrong foot to slide behind the catcher.

Nevermind. I just watched it again. Rizz did change course a little bit to take out Hedges who was partially blocking the plate but he already had the ball. I think it could really go either way.

ETA: I will be shocked if the Padres don't hit Rizzo tonight. The only question is will it be his first at-bat or later? I wonder if he'll crowd the plate even more.
Rizzo used to getting hit. If the Padres are stupid enough to do it on Rizzo's LO, thank you, he'll take it AND the LO percentage. I'm guessing tomorrow's game.

On another note, I would kill to see Rossy's tweets to Riz on all this.

Thanks! Hedges does move in to make the tag. Which is his job so I can't fault him. I'm not sure if Rizz' slide marks are incriminating or exonerating to tell you the truth.

Rizzo used to getting hit.
I know! That's why I said "crowd the plate even more", LOL!

:thumbsup2.

Again, the goal for catcher is prevent the run. The goal for runner is either slide in under/around or jar the ball loose. It was not dirty or malicious, but I agree...because we won the WS last year, they may try to make an example. :sad2:
I guess we'll probably know by the end of the day.

Thanks! Hedges does move in to make the tag. Which is his job so I can't fault him. I'm not sure if Rizz' slide marks are incriminating or exonerating to tell you the truth.

I know! That's why I said "crowd the plate even more", LOL!

:thumbsup2.

I guess we'll probably know by the end of the day.
My guess is MLB slaps Riz w the 25K fine in a statement prior to the game to try and stop any retaliation(and Joe will give Riz a 30K bonus , lol)...and if Padres Do throw at a knee/hand/head (waiting to use their hardest thrower) now THEY are in the hot seat. Also, Riz left foot is in the baseline and he does re-aim(?) for the plate. This is gonna change the wording on the rule, making for a VERY busy day over at the MLB.

Last edited:
so MLB deems Rizzo in violation~ no action handed down. If Torres(who was a catcher) was involved, there could have been disciplinary action, but the lack of intent to do harm was pretty clear.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...disciplined-for-collision-20170620-story.html

If Hedges hadn't been shook up, it would have never gotten as far as it did. I imagine thereis a shortage of these now though....

thumb.aspx

giphy.gif

I present you with Green's latest smokescreen reply, code for "my players however will do what they want"
DCysqkNV0AABasm.jpg:large

Last edited:
tonights game #2 of Padre Pay Back series lineup. Bryzzo back together!Willy taking over LF duties for the injured Schwarber, but feels he can PH if needed. Great way to keep Willy's bat in there. JHey may go DL for his hand. Lets hope THIS is Monty's first W!
thumb_cubsCrainsKids.jpg

DCyXH9HWsAA0XeE.jpg:large

Last edited:
DCz-poXVwAAk_mn.jpg

Monty/Miggy duo COMMANDING tonight! 9 pitch 1st? 3 hit game and he get his first W! Yes, please! Riz...are you kidding me? LOOOOONG gone! He's just messing with us now, lol. KB and Javy on defense tonight :worship::worship:Glad KB finally knocked out a single, and Javy, Addie, AAJ, Willy~ the guys all contributing and Happ Ins Co. shows up at the end. Game #2 of the 3 game payback? Check. My heartbreak moment of the game was CJ facing Matty tho..my emotions just can't handle that match up, 2 of my favorites. Still hoping Matty finds his way back as a Cub someday.
bonus? Brewers lost again, STL pulls a win in extras coming up huge in the 11th.
My daughter will be rooting for the Cubs at Wrigley tomorrow.

I hope Natalie gets the W Dan! Weather looks decent and vibe will be hoppin'! Pitching doing pretty good lately so hopefully Butler in the zone tomorrow!

.5 game out of first...WE'RE COMING!

I think Rizzo needed that rib protector over the Memorial Day series w/S.D. Am I the only one remembering him getting hit 2x's?...the second hit was HARD and he was not happy. I remember he went pretty slowly to first. He then stole second and Willy drove him in. I don't recall Joe calling for a whine fest after the game. Do I think Riz went for some payback with the slide? 100% ABSOLUTELY NOT..He looked like he aborted a normal slide at the last second and his drag mark in the dirt helps that thought even more, to me.

That said, here is today's lineup for game 3 of the Padres Pay Back! would sure love it to be the Broom Crew! KB heading to RF and Schwarb's over to LF~Javy getting a day of rest after fielding all those photo shoot questions, lol. Maybe that was Javy's way of "streaking?" :rotfl:

images

DC2irypVwAE8Z0_.jpg:large

Last edited:
I think Rizzo needed that rib protector over the Memorial Day series w/S.D. Am I the only one remembering him getting hit 2x's?...the second hit was HARD and he was not happy. I remember he went pretty slowly to first. He then stole second and Willy drove him in. I don't recall Joe calling for a whine fest after the game. Do I think Riz went for some payback with the slide? 100% ABSOLUTELY NOT..He looked like he aborted a normal slide at the last second and his drag mark in the dirt helps that thought even more, to me.

I think he knew he was dead to rights and figured his only shot was to jar the ball loose. As I said before, that's not dirty/malicious....that's BASEBALL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter