Chicago Cubs fans - Rebuilding Year 2023

Now this was a dumb article:
This is how the Cubs can land Harper
Dec. 28: While the Cubs' payroll restrictions could prevent them from pursuing Bryce Harper, Phil Rogers of Forbes writes that there are two ways for the club to make it work.

The first is to eat enough of Jason Heyward's salary to make it worthwhile for a team to trade for the 29-year-old outfielder. Heyward is still a productive player -- he was worth 2.0 wins above replacement in 2018, per FanGraphs -- but he's owed $106 million over the next five seasons. If the Cubs contribute $56 million in a trade, another team would have to pay Heyward only $10 million per year over the life of his contract.

The second option would involve the Cubs paying the luxury tax in 2019 before trimming the payroll to avoid the steep penalties levied against teams that exceed the threshold in consecutive years.

As Rogers notes, Chicago could free up nearly $60 million by letting Cole Hamels, Ben Zobrist, Brandon Morrow, Pedro Strop, Steve Cishek, Brandon Kintzler and Brian Duensing leave as free agents after the 2019 season.

President of baseball operations Theo Epstein and general manager Jed Hoyer will need to decide if it is worth it to weaken the rest of the roster for the chance to land Harper, and ownership would also need to be willing to pay the luxury tax for at least one season in this scenario.
Kintzler and Duensing, yes. The rest? No. And why would we even want Harper? To keep KB around when he goes to FA?

Now this was a dumb article:

Kintzler and Duensing, yes. The rest? No. And why would we even want Harper? To keep KB around when he goes to FA?

I get irrationally angry on the constant JHey trade talk, let alone the rest of that tragic fantasy written above. NO PLAYER is worth what BH and MM are asking (even JHey, lol) in a flat out deal. Pretty sure some creative terms will be how a contract plays out for either one and then they better be put in bubble wrap :rolleyes1

We already have better outfielders than BH is any day. And they can hit most of the time, too. Just need to work on that.

Bryant and harper.jpg
But can they Diva flip their hair, throw hissy fits and cheat with their Dad during HR Derbys?;)
Excellent response. Love it. I wonder how long it takes him to grow back his Diva flip hair? He cut it off after the perm.

I always say the way I know KB isn't perfect is by his friendship w/BH. Smarmy on my part, I know...but of makes ya wonder
I look at it this way. It started when they were kids. KB's dad also taught Diva how to bat. And their wives like each other.

Hey! Hoping you all had a wonderful Christmas! Ours was filled with family and was wonderful - tiring but wonderful! Now I need to scroll back and see what Cubs stuff everyone received. :magnify:

Wow!!! Have an awesome NYE celebration!!! Jealous, though I'll be down there at the end of Jan! Just think.....You're missing out on cold rain, freezing rain, and later, snow! Enjoy your holiday!

Too bad you didn't get an invitation to the the Rizzo celebration!

I was in line for Soarin’ behind a family who all had Walgreens ... I mean Washington hats on. I had my Cubs WS hat on. I started a conversation with them which went downhill fast.

Me: “I bet you guys are glad Dusty’s gone!”

Her: “I love Dusty. I’m a big Dusty supporter. He got us into the playoffs many times.”

Me: “He did that for the Cubs too. He’s really good at gettin teams in the playofffs but can’t switch gears once he’s there.”

Her Son: “Our pitching staff got used too much ...”

Me: “That’s Dusty! He pitches guys arms off!”

Her: “I still love Dusty!”

Okay ...

Me: “Thanks a lot for Daniel Murphy. We were hoping that he would play like he did for you but he didn’t.”

Her: “I love Murphy. He was great!”

Me: “Not for the Cubs.”

Her: “He played great for Dusty!”

Me: “He played well for the Mets too.”

Her: “He played better for Dusty! So did Harper!”

Okay ...

Me: “Have you been on Soarin’ for a while? Make sure you pick section B!”

I was in line for Soarin’ behind a family who all had Walgreens ... I mean Washington hats on. I had my Cubs WS hat on. I started a conversation with them which went downhill fast.

Me: “I bet you guys are glad Dusty’s gone!”

Her: “I love Dusty. I’m a big Dusty supporter. He got us into the playoffs many times.”

Me: “He did that for the Cubs too. He’s really good at gettin teams in the playofffs but can’t switch gears once he’s there.”

Her Son: “Our pitching staff got used too much ...”

Me: “That’s Dusty! He pitches guys arms off!”

Her: “I still love Dusty!”

Okay ...

Me: “Thanks a lot for Daniel Murphy. We were hoping that he would play like he did for you but he didn’t.”

Her: “I love Murphy. He was great!”

Me: “Not for the Cubs.”

Her: “He played great for Dusty!”

Me: “He played well for the Mets too.”

Her: “He played better for Dusty! So did Harper!”

Okay ...

Me: “Have you been on Soarin’ for a while? Make sure you pick section B!”
I bow to your restraint Robin...and glad they didn't start on Davey.

KB and Mrs KB and Diva and Mrs Diva spent NYE together in Las Vegas. Wonder if Diva was invited to Rizzo's wedding?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter