Chicago Marathon 2018 (Oct 7th) DIS Meet Race!

We were in Chicago this last weekend for a concert and stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn on Wacker. We loved the location and could easily walk or take a train anywhere we wanted.

It has been a good 20+ years since I’ve been to Chicago, but I really loved the city. Not sure how much I’d love it in the dead of winter, but it was great this weekend.

We were in Chicago this last weekend for a concert and stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn on Wacker. We loved the location and could easily walk or take a train anywhere we wanted.

It has been a good 20+ years since I’ve been to Chicago, but I really loved the city. Not sure how much I’d love it in the dead of winter, but it was great this weekend.

Yeah, I think the summer and fall are so nice here so that we all don't move away during the winter!!

I can add this to the OP as well.

Any interest in a pre-shakeout from other known attendees?

@garneska
@CheapRunnerMike
@marn913
MrsCheapRunnerMike
@cburnett11
@canglim52
@bellrae
@ematulis81
@Wendy98
I'd love to meet up for a shakeout. I will probably do 4-6 total but can run any distance, any pace with the group. I'm staying at the Omni which if I remember correctly, is about 15 minute walk from the trail (I really have no clue and remember lots of traffic lights).

This will be a whirlwind trip for me--probably arriving late afternoon on Friday and driving home right after the marathon. These out of town fall races are so hard to squeeze in. I will be missing 2 soccer games, a cross country meet, and a band competition. Mother of the year. Then I will do it again the next month for NYC (again, about a 48 hour trip).

I'd love to meet up for a shakeout. I will probably do 4-6 total but can run any distance, any pace with the group. I'm staying at the Omni which if I remember correctly, is about 15 minute walk from the trail (I really have no clue and remember lots of traffic lights).

This will be a whirlwind trip for me--probably arriving late afternoon on Friday and driving home right after the marathon. These out of town fall races are so hard to squeeze in. I will be missing 2 soccer games, a cross country meet, and a band competition. Mother of the year. Then I will do it again the next month for NYC (again, about a 48 hour trip).

Your 4-6 miles may be my 2-3, so you can definitely Pac-Man chomp me or lap me if needed :)

Someone had to post something stupid to keep this thread going...

View attachment 350477

I'd love that to be locked in and not change. But this will probably be all of us come 10/7.

chicago-weather_o_2013025.jpg

Also I did my long run this weekend wearing an approximation of my marathon outfit if the weather were to hold at about that temp because it was very low 60's. And I had a great run and my last three miles sped up because I was in the zone. That doesn't happen when I'm overheated...so I'll keep praying for this weather everyday until our race!

OK...somebody give me some suggestions on where to eat Saturday and Sunday night. I realized suddenly today I've never made any reservations or anything for dinner and that it may be too late to manage anything given the crowds. ACK! We are staying right downtown near Millennium Park.

I'm also googling. :D

OK...somebody give me some suggestions on where to eat Saturday and Sunday night. I realized suddenly today I've never made any reservations or anything for dinner and that it may be too late to manage anything given the crowds. ACK! We are staying right downtown near Millennium Park.

Lou Malnati’s but not sure which location is closest.

Also get Sprinkles cupcakes and Garrett’s popcorn. (I could really go for both of these right now)

Beacon Tavern!
The game room
Cindys rooftop
Flo and Santos
Just some off the top of my head ideas for that area :)

Stay away from deep dish on sat night

I've done pizza the last 2 years on Friday evening and random pasta places as a late lunch/early dinner on Saturday. Year 1 was Lou Malnati pizza... really crowded at River North. Year 2 was Giordanos at the top of Millenium park... it was crowded too. Last year we stayed in Streeterville, but we are back at River North this year. There's quite a bit around there to eat, but I think I'll try to find somewhere I can get a reservation ahead of time if possible. That way I can take that decision off the table now.

Recommend away! We might do swanky Sunday night in celebration!

Nearby-ish
Spiaggia (had the smaller tasting menu for our 10th wedding anniversary and it was so good...if you get good weather, the view is really nice)
NoMi Kitchen (in the park hyatt, awesome view of the water tower if you can get a window seat and good food)
Rosebud steakhouse

Little farther but still not that far (may need uber for some)
Topolabambo or Frontera (no reservations for Frontera, unless that changed...Topo is fancier)
Sunda
RPM Italian
Joe's Seafood and Steakhouse (get the peppermint ice cream with chocolate sauce)
Girl and the Goat (may be a tough ressie to get)
Duck Duck Goat
Roister (also may be tough to get)
Maple and Ash

Eataly is a good one for maybe Saturday...for pasta...but don't know if they do reservations??

And there's a tiki bar called Three Dots and a Dash that I very much like but that's a late night thing for late night people.

OMG I AM SO HUNGRY NOW WHY DID I MAKE THIS LIST!!!

Now I gotta decide where I'm eating on Saturday!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter