Chicago

DonaldnDaisy5

DIS Veteran
My dd13 (and dh) is/are Hamilton obsessed. It is coming to our town but ticket prices are 4 times the Chicago price.

Basically we can take the train in and get tickets for 3 people for less than the cost of 1 ticket in our city.

Problem we are a family of 5. DS had no desire to go/listen to the music...dd8 is slightly less obsessed then the older dd. Do we plan this for a weekend trip and take everyone or make it a birthday celebration for dd13...thinking the youngest would feel terribly left out.

Hotels in Chicago, other budget friendly activities?

We were planning adult trip for my 40th this year but I wouldn't mind changing it to a family trip if we can find a hotel for 5 with suite type set up so 2 sleeping areas?

Ideas, suggestions before I present a total change in plans to the dh?

He definitely could, but the train is a new experience and with him being in high school not sure how many family trips we have left...so I am leaning towards him coming along. He’s a good sport and would have fun...it’s just 5 is not hotel friendly.

I am thinking this year instead of 2 big trips maybe plan a few longer weekend ones. Chicago to see Hamilton, maybe Niagara Falls, Possibly DC although kids will all go with school - ds already went, Gatlinburg...open to suggestions, I was just shocked at the price difference. Our family of 5 could all go on the train, and see the show for same price as 2 people could here. Obviously the hotel stay would be an added expense but for a weekend trip and experience, it would be worth it...

We are a family of 5 also and we use the website sleeps5.com to find hotels for our family. It’s great!

I find sites like Expedia to be annoying at times as you put 5 people and then a whole bunch of hotels come up and then you realize they all say “Exceeds max guests”:(

My adult son and I stayed at the Embassy Suites in Chicago last year. Our room had a living room with a sofa bed and a bedroom with two queen beds. It would be perfect for a family of five and the location was very convenient. We walked all over, including Navy Pier. We took a taxi to the Field Museum. Of course, you could use Uber/Lyft.

Have fun. Chicago is great!

The Field Museum is pretty awesome if you have any interest in dinosaurs. They just got a huge Titanosaur in there. If you go before the winter, the lakefront is very pretty.
You can go up to then 96th floor of the Hancock building, called the Signature Lounge, for free as long as you buy a drink each (they are like $14 with alcohol, $10 without, but still cheaper than going to the observation deck.)
There's also a lot of great food in town.
If you're planning just a weekend trip, you will find that there's plenty to do.

You didn't say if *YOU* were obsessed with Hamilton. Why not just send DD13 and DH?

Also, you were talking about the fact that you were going to Chicago to see Hamilton because it's cheaper than seeing it locally. But now you're adding the train ride and a hotel stay for 5. Is it still cheaper? Or does that not matter since now you are making this the vacation you were planning separately?

Chinatown could be a fun place to wander around. The Palmer House Hilton Hotel is worth just a walk around the lobby, or you could get tea or a drink there.

We love to stay at Embassy Suites at State and Ohio Streets, just steps away from the El (the line that runs to theater district) , very close to Michigan Ave if you wanted to walk there. We buy our CTA visitors' passes for the El and bus system at the Jewell Osco directly across Ohio from Embassy Suites. You can easily use the CTA pass to take a bus right to the Lincoln Park Zoo & Conservatory, which is free admission.

Dh will go where ever I plan. But hes not super comfortable with traveling and things outside of regular - his family didnt travel much - without me. I'd like to see it but just not at their obsessed level...

And shockingly enough it would only be slightly - I am talking under 300 more for the whole family, travel included then in our city

We are a family of 5 also and we use the website sleeps5.com to find hotels for our family. It’s great!

I find sites like Expedia to be annoying at times as you put 5 people and then a whole bunch of hotels come up and then you realize they all say “Exceeds max guests”:(

Awesome thank you!!!

As far as other things to do in Chicago, there are tours you can take of Wrigley Field which are very cool. Not sure when you're going, but if you go on an off day or during an away game, the tour is longer and you get to see more. My dad and DH loves this, so perhaps might appeal to your DS. I'm only a casual baseball fan but my mom and I enjoyed it too.

maybe Niagara Falls

I saw you're throwing Niagara Falls around as another option for a smaller trip. I live in Niagara Falls, NY and will say to make sure you have passports so you can visit the Canadian side. Not much that would appeal to kids of your ages on the American side.

Millenium Park-it's free and it's gorgeous-have to take a picture with The Bean-aka Cloudgate.

We did a Hamilton trip with four people to Chicago and stayed at the Residence Inn about 4-5 blocks away. Did a few walking tours, took Uber down to a restaurant, had a great time.

There is a Hampton Inn literally connected to the theatre that is decent and includes breakfast. It is within walking distance of the various museums, Willis Tower, Magnificent Mile, Millenium Park, etc. We got the GoCity card which would have helped us save on attractions, but everything ended up taking much longer than expected (e.g. the 2+ hour queue for the Willis Tower!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter