Chick-Fil-A at an NFL stadium

bcla

On our rugged Eastern foothills.....
Still closed on Sundays. Apparently it's not necessarily company owned but licensed out to the concessionaire to operate, but they insist that their branded products not be sold on Sundays.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20361031/chick-fil-atlanta-falcons-home-closed-sundays

They're not going to waste the space as the menu is on video screen menu boards which they can program to display something else. However, apparently this year they're only going to operate it as a Chick-Fil-A stand on a single Thursday night NFL game and a couple of Saturday college football games. I suppose it might also operate when there are concerts.

Yes. It is seen as an NFL stadium, but the majority of the events there are not the Falcons, or on a Sunday.

Agreed.
I've been to the Falcon's Stadium many, many times but never for a Falcon's game. (most often for the SEC Championship) Chick-fil-A is always a welcome food option. I see no reason why the stadium shouldn't contract with them, just because they can't be used on Sundays. Presumably, that limitation was taken into consideration when negotiating the terms of the contract.

I disagree with the founders of Chick-fil-A about many things, but it is a privately run business and they have every right to decide to be closed on Sundays. They did not hide that information from the stadium, so I see no issue.

LMAO a new stadium they didn't need with a roof that isn't going to work and a chick Fil A that fans can't go to. Sounds about par for the course.

LOL, in total agreement on the stadium they didn't need part. I can't believe they built a new stadium for the Braves AND the Falcons. Both were already newer than half the leagues in this country and were perfectly fine, IMHO

Agreed.
I've been to the Falcon's Stadium many, many times but never for a Falcon's game. (most often for the SEC Championship) Chick-fil-A is always a welcome food option. I see no reason why the stadium shouldn't contract with them, just because they can't be used on Sundays. Presumably, that limitation was taken into consideration when negotiating the terms of the contract.

I disagree with the founders of Chick-fil-A about many things, but it is a privately run business and they have every right to decide to be closed on Sundays. They did not hide that information from the stadium, so I see no issue.

So Chik-fil-A was at the old Georgia Dome as well? If so, this really shouldn't even be news, assuming the same policy was in effect with the old stadium.

I will admit, I heard story yesterday and thought it was a dumb idea to put in a vendor in a football stadium that wouldn't be open on Sundays, but I didn't think about the other events that would be held there. Mostly because Browns Stadium probably only holds two or three non-NFL related events a year (mostly because it's not domed).

So Chik-fil-A was at the old Georgia Dome as well? If so, this really shouldn't even be news, assuming the same policy was in effect with the old stadium.

I will admit, I heard story yesterday and thought it was a dumb idea to put in a vendor in a football stadium that wouldn't be open on Sundays, but I didn't think about the other events that would be held there. Mostly because Browns Stadium probably only holds two or three non-NFL related events a year (mostly because it's not domed).

I think so? I honestly don't remember, I go to football games in so many locations and frankly, it seems like Chick-fil-A is always an option. I could be mis-remembering at the Dome specifically though.

Either way, the handful of Falcon home games represent such a small portion of what takes place in that stadium, that it still seems like a non-issue.

I glanced at their schedule, and there are 15 non-Falcons events there between now and the end of the year. The ATL soccer team plays there, we use it for big SEC games, Garth Brooks is coming, etc

Last edited:
I just thought that it was odd that they're not going to operate at the signature events at the site.

I know around here we've got stadiums near residential areas that have limited events outside of the occasional concert. Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara is basically just football games and some big concerts. From now until the end of the year, their schedule only shows a Coldplay concert for one night.

When I read this story yesterday, I was prepared to make a stinging joke about failure to think things through. But then it occurred to me that the stadium is used on all seven days per week for this or that, not just Sundays, so there's no real need to laugh about CFA building there.

I applaud them for sticking to their guns on this. They leave a lot of potential money on the table by staying closed on Sundays.

Any business can routinely close on any day they want. They shouldn't be criticized for it (beyond the usual, "Why are you closed? I want to purchase a chicken sandwich NOW!") But I'm not sure that means we should cheer them for "sticking to their guns" or find them in any way worthy of applause for doing so.

Some of their employees may indeed worship on Sundays and find it wonderfully convenient to have that day off. Others may worship on Saturdays, and find it considerably less convenient.

Do we cheer other religiously-affiliated businesses for closing on Saturdays, and commend them for "sticking to their guns"? I don't recall anyone saying anything like that about the Jewish bakery in my town...

In my town, a lot of small business owners choose to close on Mondays, because it's the least profitable day of the week, business-wise.

I think businesses should set their own hours, in whatever way they find makes the most sense for them and their employees. It's not a matter for applause, it's just a fact.

Any business can routinely close on any day they want. They shouldn't be criticized for it (beyond the usual, "Why are you closed? I want to purchase a chicken sandwich NOW!") But I'm not sure that means we should cheer them for "sticking to their guns" or find them in any way worthy of applause for doing so.

Some of their employees may indeed worship on Sundays and find it wonderfully convenient to have that day off. Others may worship on Saturdays, and find it considerably less convenient.

Do we cheer other religiously-affiliated businesses for closing on Saturdays, and commend them for "sticking to their guns"? I don't recall anyone saying anything like that about the Jewish bakery in my town...

In my town, a lot of small business owners choose to close on Mondays, because it's the least profitable day of the week, business-wise.

I think businesses should set their own hours, in whatever way they find makes the most sense for them and their employees. It's not a matter for applause, it's just a fact.

I really have no problem with a business being closed per se regardless of the reason. A lot of individual/family-owned businesses do just that because they need a break and not for any religious or philosophical reason. My favorite pizza place is closed on Sundays and Mondays, along with extended breaks. However, it's not strictly that those days are meaningful to the ownership. I remember just driving by one day when I found that it was open on Sunday as a fundraiser for a local charity. Another pizza place I remember was closed on Sunday when it first opened, but that was before they hired more employees. And during the time when it was typically closed on Sundays they were open the day of the Super Bowl because they figured it would mean a lot of business.

I've certainly understood what the religious aspect of a day of rest means for the religious. However, I've heard that a lot of Mormons are police officers even if it means that they'll have no choice but to work on Sundays. I know BYU was in the news because their athletic teams often get special scheduling that means they don't play on Sundays, but then there are prominent Mormon athletes who still play, even on Sundays.

However, it's pretty obvious that the biggest day for a concession at an NFL stadium is game day for an NFL game. I've worked near an NFL stadium and I've come across people on public transportation who worked the concessions there. They're working the whole week doing food prep just for Sunday. It just seems a bit odd that they'd even bother.

Just read that Chick fil a is the most profitable fast food restaurant in the USA, even closing on Sundays. It was not even close between the 2nd most profitable competitor.

The Georgia Dome hosts all sorts of things - football is just the tip of the iceberg. There are concerts, soccer games, band competitions, etc. and most everyone eats Chick fil a around here.

I live in Cobb County where the new Braves stadium is. Just read that they are on track to make an extra $50 million dollars this season in the new stadium. If you have never seen the new stadium, it is fantastic. I am sure that attendance is up - probably because people feel much safer coming to the new stadium than the old. We never went to the old stadium - hard to get to, so much traffic and it was located in a dicey area. Very high crime. Like night and day. The new stadium has shops, restaurants, bars, hotels and condos within walking distance. It is a destination, not just a stadium.

Truett Cathy is also firmly convinced that he more than makes up for being closed on Sunday with higher demand through the week. Chick-fil-A is by far the top grossing fast food company in the world. They may deserve business accolades for their choices, but I'm not sure they are sacrificing lots of money in the name of their values

I think part of the flaw here is thinking of "Mercedes Benz Stadium" as the "Falcons Stadium" -- the soccer team uses it more than the Falcons do ;p The Falcons just happen to be the most well-known regular event there.

Truett Cathy is also firmly convinced that he more than makes up for being closed on Sunday with higher demand through the week. Chick-fil-A is by far the top grossing fast food company in the world. They may deserve business accolades for their choices, but I'm not sure they are sacrificing lots of money in the name of their values

I think part of the flaw here is thinking of "Mercedes Benz Stadium" as the "Falcons Stadium" -- the soccer team uses it more than the Falcons do ;p The Falcons just happen to be the most well-known regular event there.

However, it would have never have been built if there wasn't an NFL tenant. And although the soccer team had the highest attendance in MLS, their total numbers aren't going to be close to the 8 days (plus preseason games) that an NFL team will draw. However, more preseason games seem to happen outside of Sundays.

However, it would have never have been built if there wasn't an NFL tenant. And although the soccer team had the highest attendance in MLS, their total numbers aren't going to be close to the 8 days (plus preseason games) that an NFL team will draw. However, more preseason games seem to happen outside of Sundays.

Yet both Chick-fil-A and the stadium owners thought a business arrangement between the two would be profitable. And I'm willing to bet it will.

There are a lot of things I like and dislike about Chick fil a's business philosophy (known as chickfilit in my house) but I'll give them credit for a well run business. I have never been in one that I have had to wait very long or that my order was wrong or that the employees weren't polite. Living in Georgia it's not a rarity to get to go to one so we don't get so excited about them as some people seem to and since they are all over the place and always seem to do a good business, I think they won't miss what income they don't get by not being open on Sundays. Heck, they more than make up for that by being at the UGA football games and the SEC championship. They do have some of the best milkshakes around and our puppy is very fond of their chicken.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter