Chick-Fil-A at an NFL stadium

I just thought that it was odd that they're not going to operate at the signature events at the site.

I know around here we've got stadiums near residential areas that have limited events outside of the occasional concert. Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara is basically just football games and some big concerts. From now until the end of the year, their schedule only shows a Coldplay concert for one night.
Their website says they will host 50 events a year, 10 of them NFL football. So 75% of the stadiums use is for other things. I hear the attendance for soccer in Atlanta is amazing.

LOL, in total agreement on the stadium they didn't need part. I can't believe they built a new stadium for the Braves AND the Falcons. Both were already newer than half the leagues in this country and were perfectly fine, IMHO

Well let's face it. The Braves moved due to a secret back room deal. And when it came up for a vote, nobody was allowed to even comment. The citizens of Cobb County were fleeced. Well them and anyone renting a hotel room or a car there, which won't be me. Not because of this deal or anything but because Cobb is no longer the convenient stopping point it was at one time.

Well let's face it. The Braves moved due to a secret back room deal. And when it came up for a vote, nobody was allowed to even comment. The citizens of Cobb County were fleeced. Well them and anyone renting a hotel room or a car there, which won't be me. Not because of this deal or anything but because Cobb is no longer the convenient stopping point it was at one time.

What's with these publicly financed stadiums? At least around here that's no longer something that happens. We got fleeced by the Raiders and they're going to be gone while the bond for the last stadium upgrades are still being paid. Now they're fleecing the Nevada taxpayers (and visitors with the hotel tax) for a $1.5 billion stadium in the middle of the desert. Also - the Warriors are jumping ship to San Francisco and they claim they can get out of paying off the bonds used to pay for the 1997 arena upgrades.

Since then there have been 3 privately financed stadiums or arenas, although a couple did have some sort of public guarantee. I heard that the NFL detested that Levi's Stadium was almost entirely financed privately because it sets an example that direct public financing isn't needed. There's also that most of the naming rights are going to pay the publicly guaranteed loans rather than going directly to the team.

Cobb County taxpayer here and I don't feel fleeced. The majority of Cobb County taxpayers were in favor of the deal to move the braves to Cobb - we just did not like the way the whole thing was handled and the one man who would not let the public speak. At the very next election, he was sent packing :) Everyone I know loves having the Braves stadium in Cobb County. It is a real showplace down there and an asset to our county.

Cobb County taxpayer here and I don't feel fleeced. The majority of Cobb County taxpayers were in favor of the deal to move the braves to Cobb - we just did not like the way the whole thing was handled and the one man who would not let the public speak. At the very next election, he was sent packing :) Everyone I know loves having the Braves stadium in Cobb County. It is a real showplace down there and an asset to our county.

Yeah. They said the old one was going to be an asset and a show piece too. 20 years later and none of their promises were kept. So get back to me in 20 years when the area is a dump and the Braves are demanding to feed at the public trough to the tune of another new stadium. You got fleeced to the tune of 400 million. But that's not my problem as I won't be paying any of it.

Yeah. They said the old one was going to be an asset and a show piece too. 20 years later and none of their promises were kept. So get back to me in 20 years when the area is a dump and the Braves are demanding to feed at the public trough to the tune of another new stadium. You got fleeced to the tune of 400 million. But that's not my problem as I won't be paying any of it.
Turner field was built in a dump from day one. The area was already depressed in 1966 when Fulton Country Stadium opened.

Suntrust Park is in an affluent part of town.

No one can tell if the area will still be affluent in 20 years but I will bet that fans will want something new in 20-30 years. It's the nature of the beast.

Turner field was built in a dump from day one. The area was already depressed in 1966 when Fulton Country Stadium opened.

Suntrust Park is in an affluent part of town.

No one can tell if the area will still be affluent in 20 years but I will bet that fans will want something new in 20-30 years. It's the nature of the beast.

It depends. Certainly older stadiums like Dodger Stadium or Kaufman Stadium are considered gems despite their age.

A new A's stadium plan is supposedly going to be released by the end of the year. However, it's pretty clear that the current stadium is inadequate.

Hey, Chick Fil A has airport locations, and they are closed Sundays, and at least in Minneapolis, they do more business than the fast food businesses that are open 7 days a week.

http://www.startribune.com/chick-fi...undays-at-msp-airport-despite-rule/322472011/
The only Chick-Fil-A in all of Canada is located at the Calgary Airport on the departures level past security. I actually find it incredibly weird that the airport authority offered space in this type of 24/7 food-court location to a vendor with this business model and that Chick-Fil-A chose it for it's national flag-ship. :scratchin I would like to try some of the chicken though, to see what all the fuss is about.

Any business can routinely close on any day they want. They shouldn't be criticized for it (beyond the usual, "Why are you closed? I want to purchase a chicken sandwich NOW!") But I'm not sure that means we should cheer them for "sticking to their guns" or find them in any way worthy of applause for doing so.

Some of their employees may indeed worship on Sundays and find it wonderfully convenient to have that day off. Others may worship on Saturdays, and find it considerably less convenient.

Do we cheer other religiously-affiliated businesses for closing on Saturdays, and commend them for "sticking to their guns"? I don't recall anyone saying anything like that about the Jewish bakery in my town...

In my town, a lot of small business owners choose to close on Mondays, because it's the least profitable day of the week, business-wise.

I think businesses should set their own hours, in whatever way they find makes the most sense for them and their employees. It's not a matter for applause, it's just a fact.

I don't think anyone talks about the Jewish bakery in your town because nobody outside your town has heard of it. Completely different from a national chain choosing to close 100% of their stores one day a week. And even though I don't attend church, having one day off EVERY weekend would be pretty nice for a FF job.

I don't think anyone talks about the Jewish bakery in your town because nobody outside your town has heard of it. Completely different from a national chain choosing to close 100% of their stores one day a week. And even though I don't attend church, having one day off EVERY weekend would be pretty nice for a FF job.
I also doubt the bakery is subject to scrutiny of it's business practise, some of it critical, because if it either. And am I missing where Chick-Fil-A is looking for applause over this? It occurs to me that Chick-Fil-A doesn't care what people think of the decision - either way.

The MLS team Atlanta United who are owned by Falcons Owner Arthur Blank will also play in the stadium, there are 2 college football games to kick off the season there, the sec championships, probably high school championships, stuff like Monster Trucks, motocross, concerts etc all will be at the stadium. There will be plenty of non Sunday events there.

Chick-fil-A started in Atlanta. There are many locations around the city, including CNN Center, College Football Hall of Fame and Hartsfield Jackson Airport. People who live here know the Chick-fil-A will be closed on Sunday just like we know you also can't buy alcohol until 12:30 pm here on Sunday too.

The only Chick-Fil-A in all of Canada is located at the Calgary Airport on the departures level past security. I actually find it incredibly weird that the airport authority offered space in this type of 24/7 food-court location to a vendor with this business model and that Chick-Fil-A chose it for it's national flag-ship. :scratchin I would like to try some of the chicken though, to see what all the fuss is about.

It's a chicken sandwich. It's OK although I don't get the crazy devotion for it. I also don't quite get the devotion for the California-based burger chain In-N-Out. Both sell a solid product but hardly mind-blowingly good.

If I really wanted a sandwich I'd rather go to Red Robin than Chick-Fil-A. At least I'd be able to get refills on the fries, although how willing the staff is to bring more is inconsistent. I've seen refill baskets that barely have anything, while I've seen roaming staff with baskets of fries looking for a home. One time I was with my kid and we got two baskets of fries placed on the table even though I hadn't finished what came with my burger and my kid got a kid's meal with a side that wasn't fries.

It's a chicken sandwich. It's OK although I don't get the crazy devotion for it. I also don't quite get the devotion for the California-based burger chain In-N-Out. Both sell a solid product but hardly mind-blowingly good.

If I really wanted a sandwich I'd rather go to Red Robin than Chick-Fil-A. At least I'd be able to get refills on the fries, although how willing the staff is to bring more is inconsistent. I've seen refill baskets that barely have anything, while I've seen roaming staff with baskets of fries looking for a home. One time I was with my kid and we got two baskets of fries placed on the table even though I hadn't finished what came with my burger and my kid got a kid's meal with a side that wasn't fries.

I don't know about anyone else but I can say why everyone I know will choose Chick-Fil-A. One, the stores are immaculate. Never been in one that you could even tell they had just had a rush. Always clean. And two, the service is always the best. The order is always right. They don't mix up drinks, forget the sauces, give you a sandwich when you ordered nuggets, etc. They are always nice and always say thank you. And three they are always consistent.

The only other place I can say that about is Caine's who also sells chicken.

Here one is on one side of town the other on the other so depending on where we are as to which we go to. Both always packed.

I don't know about anyone else but I can say why everyone I know will choose Chick-Fil-A. One, the stores are immaculate. Never been in one that you could even tell they had just had a rush. Always clean. And two, the service is always the best. The order is always right. They don't mix up drinks, forget the sauces, give you a sandwich when you ordered nuggets, etc. They are always nice and always say thank you. And three they are always consistent.

The only other place I can say that about is Caine's who also sells chicken.

Here one is on one side of town the other on the other so depending on where we are as to which we go to. Both always packed.
There is something different about the young people that they hire compared to other fast food places in general. They appear cleaner and neater, very polite and generally more motivated.

Raising Caines also has nice employees. I like that Caines gives the employees nice hoodies when it gets cold outside. It can get cold working the drive thru window. Our school uses Caines to cater some of their family events since they don't use peanut oil like Chick Fil A does. Chick Fil A though is way more popular. They recently razed two locations to the ground in our town to rebuild them with added capacity in the drive thru lines and parking lots and they added a third stand alone location (there's also one at the mall). Despite that all of them are crowded at lunch time with drive thru lines that snake around the building.

I'm trying to lose weight and I've found that the combo of bottled water, a Chick Fil grilled chicken sandwich and fruit cup is the most filling and tasty healthy option I can get from a drive thru window that I can eat in the car. I spend a lot of time in the car during the school year since we live so far from school.

I think some airports get a cut of restaurant sales, maybe Calgary is the same. I suspect the airport is probably making a nice chunk of change off Chick-Fil-A. Like I posted early, the Minneapolis airport location makes more being open 6 days a week than the other locations that are open 7. So SOMEBODY likes their food. A whole lot.

There is something different about the young people that they hire compared to other fast food places in general. They appear cleaner and neater, very polite and generally more motivated.

I feel the same way about the young people that Disney and Universal hires. :lovestruc

When management runs a tight ship, it always shows.

Like @ronandannette pointed out, the Jewish bakery hasn't donated to any controversial lobbying groups, as far as I know. There also used to be a Muslim-owned corner store near me which would close on Fridays. I was SO grateful they were open one Christmas Day, when I ran out of flour and couldn't make gravy for the turkey. But, again, they never attracted any public attention by financially supporting discriminatory causes.

For the record, I do give Chick-fil-a full credit for deciding to stop funding these particular lobby groups. I would absolutely eat there, if I was near an outlet and had a sudden craving for chicken. It sounds like a perfectly nice fast-food joint.

There are many businesses, both large and small, which close one day of the week. It's a non-issue, worthy of neither praise nor condemnation.

After all, whether a fast-food business closes one day out of seven or not, it's not like any of their employees will be working seven days a week without any time off. And arguably, some might prefer occasionally having a day other than Sunday off, so they can go to doctor's appointments and get their banking done.

In my opinion, all this is, is an entrepreneurial opportunity for some other chicken-purveyor to cash in on the Sunday-chicken-eating-ballpark crowd. :thumbsup2

Last edited:

Have you ever actually been to Turner Field or the Battery? If so, it would be very hard to compare the 2 areas. Turner Field is in the middle of downtown Atlanta projects and is in a very crime ridden area. I worked downtown right beside Turner Field when it was built. Yes, it was very nice, but it was still built right smack in the middle of a bad area. No getting around that fact.

The Battery is in the middle of a super nice area. Has been a nice area as long as I have lived in Cobb County - over 25 years. No comparison between the 2 stadiums or the 2 areas. As a matter of fact, the area where the Battery is located has only been getting nicer in recent years. It is a real showplace down there.

While I can't say for sure that the Battery will still be as nice in 20 years, I would wager that it will still be a much nicer area than Turner Field.

Ate at a Chick-Fil-A once, it was the nastiest food I've ever had. Glad they are closed on Sundays. Wish they were closed on Mondays, Tuesdays, etc. Perhaps they make such a nice profit because their food is so poor?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter