Chicken Exits

PrincessWithABlaster

DIS Veteran
DD10 doesn't like intense thrill rides. The past few trips one of us would stay with her while the others went with the other parent. This year I'm thinking that on some of the rides we'll just have her stand in line with us and use chicken exits. What we did at 6 Flags was that we'd all get in the same row and group of 2 would ride while she waited with the second group of 2 then walked through the car and met the 1st group at the exit. I think this would work for EE. And for EE since she'd basically be right outside the platform I'd be ok with her just waiting right outside the exit gate while the rest of us ride all at the same time. Any reason that wouldn't work?

And how does RNR work since loading and unloading happen at different places? How does that chicken exit work? What would be the best way to have her wait?

At RNR, as the rest of the party is put into car rows, I take the chicken exit with my son. We are sent through a series of hallways to the unloading area where we wait until our party is off. Then, the cm at the unload area send me (and usually my daughter) back through the same hallways to the regular loading area to ride.

I would not recommend sending her out the chicken exit alone on this one as it would stress out my DD 13, but Space, EE, Thunder, ToT, etc. would have all been fine for her to exit and wait alone after about 8yo. Most rides don't load and unload at the same spot, though it is close. Younger than that, I would ask to do a rider swap when you get to the load area, but it depends how old/mature she is.

When my dd was about 10, she refused to ride ToT. Fine. She stayed with us until we got to the boarding area. Then she was taken to the chicken exit by a CM, who brought her down to the area after you get off the ride, just before the gift shop. When we got there, her comment was 'Really? Do they think it's a good idea to have to use an elevator in the chicken exit of ToT?? Seriously??' Too funny. She then decided to give it a try and of course, who did she meet up with at the boarding area? Same CM who had taken her down. He high-fived her and congratulated her. Still one of her favorite attractions at the age of 25!!

DD10 doesn't like intense thrill rides. The past few trips one of us would stay with her while the others went with the other parent. This year I'm thinking that on some of the rides we'll just have her stand in line with us and use chicken exits. What we did at 6 Flags was that we'd all get in the same row and group of 2 would ride while she waited with the second group of 2 then walked through the car and met the 1st group at the exit. I think this would work for EE. And for EE since she'd basically be right outside the platform I'd be ok with her just waiting right outside the exit gate while the rest of us ride all at the same time. Any reason that wouldn't work?

And how does RNR work since loading and unloading happen at different places? How does that chicken exit work? What would be the best way to have her wait?

I don't understand what you mean by the bolded. If the whole party is in line together, you'll all be on the same car/train/whatever, or very close to it. Plus, all of the rides run more than one car/train/whatever. She could easily take the chicken exit and wait at the exit, but the first group won't be finished when the second group gets on. Even if you want party 2 to ride after you in the same row, they send the vehicles out maybe a minute or so apart.

A lot of the rides unload in one area and then move to a different area to reload, it isn't always the same spot.

Edited for wording.

Last edited:

For EE, they will ask you how many in your party and when you answer "4", they will put 2 of you in one row and two in another for the same coaster vehicle. You won't line up for the ride in the same way you are describing for 6 Flags (2 in front and 2 behind to ride on two separate rides) . We've used the chicken exit at EE many times. I either go out the chicken exit and wait in the gift shop for my DS11 or my DH will simply sit on one of the brick walls outside the ride. I think what I would do is, prior to getting in line, show your DD where the chicken exit is (it's right beside where the single rider line starts) and then pick out a spot around the brick wall area near the gate where she could wait. As long as she is good about going to a designated spot and not moving, it should be fine.

At RNR, as the rest of the party is put into car rows, I take the chicken exit with my son. We are sent through a series of hallways to the unloading area where we wait until our party is off. Then, the cm at the unload area send me (and usually my daughter) back through the same hallways to the regular loading area to ride.
is.

Hmmm. The real point of this is that DD8 doesn't enjoy riding in a car as the third wheel so if a parent still has to go with DD10 then she's still riding with a stranger each of those rides since DS6 needs the parent (the only ones DD10 won't do are EE and RNR which also happen to be the ones with single rider). I assume you have to ask the CM to do this since they have to lead you through corridors. I guess I can always ask if DD8 can come with us through the corridors while DH and DS ride and then have both of us come back.

I don't understand what you mean by the bolded. If the whole party is in line together, you'll all be on the same car/train/whatever, or very close to it. Plus, all of the rides run more than one car/train/whatever. She could easily take the chicken exit and wait at the exit, but the first group won't be finished when the second group gets on. Even if you want party 2 to ride after you in the same row, they send the vehicles out maybe a minute or so apart.

A lot of the rides unload in one area and then move to a different area to reload, it isn't always the same spot.

Edited for wording.

At 6 Flags we did this on the wooden coasters (Viper and American Eagle) so they were only 2 across in the train. AE doesn't run with 3 trains on the track and we didn't see that happen on Viper but it might have been because it was first thing in the morning and walk on at that point. But you're right that if they have 3 trains on the track, it doesn't work as well. But it would still reduce the amount of time she's standing by herself if we ride in two separate trains. The train with Group 2 will have left when the train with Group 1 is waiting for the 3rd train to load but should be rolling into the station in a minute or two.

I think EE is one that has the exit right across the platform from the loading area. Am I correct on that?

For EE, they will ask you how many in your party and when you answer "4", they will put 2 of you in one row and two in another for the same coaster vehicle. You won't line up for the ride in the same way you are describing for 6 Flags (2 in front and 2 behind to ride on two separate rides) . We've used the chicken exit at EE many times. I either go out the chicken exit and wait in the gift shop for my DS11 or my DH will simply sit on one of the brick walls outside the ride. I think what I would do is, prior to getting in line, show your DD where the chicken exit is (it's right beside where the single rider line starts) and then pick out a spot around the brick wall area near the gate where she could wait. As long as she is good about going to a designated spot and not moving, it should be fine.

Yes, that's how they do it by default but my plan was to ask if we can all go in one line in order to reduce waiting alone time for DD10. Since they accommodate all kinds of other requests, I'm assuming they would accommodate that one. We'll take a look at where the chicken exit is in case they won't allow her to cross through the car at Disney. Thanks.

When my dd was about 10, she refused to ride ToT. Fine. She stayed with us until we got to the boarding area. Then she was taken to the chicken exit by a CM, who brought her down to the area after you get off the ride, just before the gift shop. When we got there, her comment was 'Really? Do they think it's a good idea to have to use an elevator in the chicken exit of ToT?? Seriously??' Too funny. She then decided to give it a try and of course, who did she meet up with at the boarding area? Same CM who had taken her down. He high-fived her and congratulated her. Still one of her favorite attractions at the age of 25!!

I felt the exact same way when a CM took me and my daughter into that chicken exit elevator! I was like ummmm WHAT??? hahahaha

Hmmm. The real point of this is that DD8 doesn't enjoy riding in a car as the third wheel so if a parent still has to go with DD10 then she's still riding with a stranger each of those rides since DS6 needs the parent (the only ones DD10 won't do are EE and RNR which also happen to be the ones with single rider). I assume you have to ask the CM to do this since they have to lead you through corridors. I guess I can always ask if DD8 can come with us through the corridors while DH and DS ride and then have both of us come back.

At 6 Flags we did this on the wooden coasters (Viper and American Eagle) so they were only 2 across in the train. AE doesn't run with 3 trains on the track and we didn't see that happen on Viper but it might have been because it was first thing in the morning and walk on at that point. But you're right that if they have 3 trains on the track, it doesn't work as well. But it would still reduce the amount of time she's standing by herself if we ride in two separate trains. The train with Group 2 will have left when the train with Group 1 is waiting for the 3rd train to load but should be rolling into the station in a minute or two.

I think EE is one that has the exit right across the platform from the loading area. Am I correct on that?

Yes, that's how they do it by default but my plan was to ask if we can all go in one line in order to reduce waiting alone time for DD10. Since they accommodate all kinds of other requests, I'm assuming they would accommodate that one. We'll take a look at where the chicken exit is in case they won't allow her to cross through the car at Disney. Thanks.

Crossing through the car won't work on EE. The entrance and exit platform are not the same and are in two, completely different areas. You board on one platform and then exit onto a platform that leads you into the gift shop. Your 6 Flags plan will not work on EE.

I was glad ToT had a chicken exit. It allowed me to see the pre show area which I really liked.

is.

Hmmm. The real point of this is that DD8 doesn't enjoy riding in a car herself so if a parent still has to go with DD10 then she's still riding with a stranger each of those rides (the only ones DD10 won't do are EE and RNR which also happen to havewe need to do this on are EE and RNR

Edited for wording.

Crossing through the car won't work on EE. The entrance and exit platform are not the same and are in two, completely different areas. You board on one platform and then exit onto a platform that leads you into the gift shop. Your 6 Flags plan will not work on EE.

Ok. I didn't remember them being at different locations but it wasn't something I was paying attention to. Thanks for the info.

I believe every "thrill ride" has a "chicken exit". My wife has gone through the queue of many of the rides and walked out without riding. we met up outside or in the gift shop after I'm done with the ride. Usually when you get up to the loading area, if you tell them you don't want to ride, they will point you to the door.

According to Disney your DD10 is old enough to either ride or wait alone - whether that's true in reality is up to your family. CMs will allow your daughter to take the chicken exit alone but you'll want to agree on a meeting place beforehand. If CMs will load you onto subsequent "trains" will be up to the person loading at the time and honestly I wouldn't count on it if it's busy. According to Google the duration of the rides in question are as follows:
  • Expedition Everest: 2 minutes 51 seconds.
  • Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith: 1 minute 22 seconds
Of course this is assuming normal operation a ride stoppage could extend that indefinitely but on the face of it that's a pretty short time to wait alone.

I was glad ToT had a chicken exit. It allowed me to see the pre show area which I really liked.

I would not ride TOT, but would like to see the pre-show area. My group has FP for our upcoming trip. At what point do you tell them that you are not riding before it is too late?

I would not ride TOT, but would like to see the pre-show area. My group has FP for our upcoming trip. At what point do you tell them that you are not riding before it is too late?
it is right as you are assigned loading but be prepared for an elevator with CM in character

Literally a second before they load the elevator car. They will ask how many. You say you are not riding and, if your camera is ready, you may have a second to snap a "before" picture.

For me it's the "bad spine exit," and I'm excited to find out about it as I heard the queue is pretty cool.

Most of the attractions even the coasters exit in a completely different place then they board.

Not exactly sure what your trying to accomplish/avoid maybe posting how many people total in the party, the ages and attractions would help? Off the bat though your best bet is to have DD 10 use the chicken exit and wait in the gift shop/exit area. A quick trip through the gift shop/exit to familiarize yourself with the area and find a meeting place could be helpful.

Wait - I think I have it - you have 3 kids, 2 will ride one won't? One wants to exit and neither of the other 2 want to ride "single".

if so -

If you use FP then send the first two in to ride and then wait at the exit, about 5 minutes later you the other child and the non riding child enter the FP line - non rider takes the chicken exit where party 1 will be waiting while you and the other riding child ride. Clear as mud LOL

You could do something similar using standby by just waiting in line together and then letting a few parties pass when you get to boarding. Again this assumes you or your non riding dd aren't comfortable letting her use the chicken exit alone. FWIW my nephew has been using the chicken exit and or just waiting by the exit since he was 8/9ish. My sil gave him her phone just in case as the rest of our party have ours.

My DD wishes she could use a reverse chicken exit for ToT!! She really thinks she'd enjoy the ride but just cannot get past the pre-show. We've tried watching it on YouTube but it's just too scary for her and I'm not about to do that to her. We've talked about closing eyes, ear plugs etc but nope - she only wants to ride the ride so we're waiting until she's ready.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!