Chicken Guy

of course not, it's been closed for months now...............we ARE talking about the same restaurant, right?

Doesn't really matter, 'cause this thread is supposed to be about DS

I ate there this past Saturday with my two daughters (7 & 11). Being a new place, of course it was really busy. One thing we did NOT like was there's not a lot of seating inside. In fact there's not a lot of space inside at all. A majority of the seating is outside which as most of you know can be brutal in the FL heat. The girls had 3 tenders each and I ordered one of their Bourbon Brown Sugar BBQ Sandwich. Lots of flavor and tasty over all. I also ordered their Loaded Fries that comes smothered in cheese. As I was eating it I commented to my daughter it just needed a little umph to give it a bit more flavor. Later I realized I didn't have any bacon on it which it's supposed to come with. Granted this was day 2 of the restaurant being open so I just attributed it to that. I also couldn't complain too much because as we were eating our meal, one of the servers brought us more food we had not ordered. It seemed they didn't clear out the order in the system and ended up sending us more food. The server was kind enough to offer us a bag for all the free food which we happily took and enjoyed later. The Triple Double Mint shakes were yummy as well.

Was it good? Yes. Will I go back? Yes. Was it the greatest chicken ever? Ehhh...not really. . Over all it was good. There's 22 different sauces to try and so far we've only had maybe 4 of them so we definitely will go back to try it again. Probably at night though when it's not so hot.

I ate there this past Saturday with my two daughters (7 & 11). Being a new place, of course it was really busy. One thing we did NOT like was there's not a lot of seating inside. In fact there's not a lot of space inside at all. A majority of the seating is outside which as most of you know can be brutal in the FL heat. The girls had 3 tenders each and I ordered one of their Bourbon Brown Sugar BBQ Sandwich. Lots of flavor and tasty over all. I also ordered their Loaded Fries that comes smothered in cheese. As I was eating it I commented to my daughter it just needed a little umph to give it a bit more flavor. Later I realized I didn't have any bacon on it which it's supposed to come with. Granted this was day 2 of the restaurant being open so I just attributed it to that. I also couldn't complain too much because as we were eating our meal, one of the servers brought us more food we had not ordered. It seemed they didn't clear out the order in the system and ended up sending us more food. The server was kind enough to offer us a bag for all the free food which we happily took and enjoyed later. The Triple Double Mint shakes were yummy as well.

Was it good? Yes. Will I go back? Yes. Was it the greatest chicken ever? Ehhh...not really. . Over all it was good. There's 22 different sauces to try and so far we've only had maybe 4 of them so we definitely will go back to try it again. Probably at night though when it's not so hot.

Thanks for your review. :)

I've been to two restaurants that Guy liked and I guess that I was lucky because I liked them too. I hope to check out the new restaurant.

I agree with gharter. We have eaten at 5 DD&D endorsed restaurants. One is literally 3 blocks from our house. NO, NO, and NO! I don't trust his palate or his bleached, sunglassed-embellished, donkey-sauce-touting backside. Pete Wells, you are a hero.

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/...uys-american-kitchen-bar-in-times-square.html

^ Yes, this in a nutshell.

Guy just comes off as a snake oil salesman. Based on his reviews on DD&D, we've gone to several places, and one of them was so awful, the others were nothing special, all of them we went to were like an alternate universe when time stopped somewhere in the 1960s or 70s.

I don't trust him or his opinion. Is he a likeable person? Maybe. Is he a world class chef, I highly doubt it.

This is just another quick service stop for the masses. They could have easily put in a Chik-Fil-A and called it a day.

Guy just comes off as a snake oil salesman. Based on his reviews on DD&D, we've gone to several places, and one of them was so awful, the others were nothing special, all of them we went to were like an alternate universe when time stopped somewhere in the 1960s or 70s.

I don't trust him or his opinion. Is he a likeable person? Maybe. Is he a world class chef, I highly doubt it.

This is just another quick service stop for the masses. They could have easily put in a Chik-Fil-A and called it a day.

He IS a likable persona (not sure I met him or his character at the Jack Daniels Invitational BBQ), but, dang ...

not for everyone but I think this place could be a nice addition to add to the mix of options at DS

I've never really eaten at any of his restaurants, but the Carnival cruise ship I was on in January had his Burger Bar and let me tell you that was one tasty burger. I didn't have one for a few days because I thought, it's a burger...how good could it be....but everyone I knew was raving about them. Finally I had one and kicked myself for waiting so long to have it because if I could have eaten another one right away I would have they were that good. LOL I'll try this chicken place if I get a chance, but I very rarely make specific plans on a counter service place.

I also don't think you can compare anything with his name on it to the DD&D show places because these aren't his creations, nor is he really going to get to give 100% valid opinions while on a show. His show wouldn't last long if he gave true and 100% accurate reviews IMHO.

You do know that he is on the food network because he won their contest, the Next Food Network Star?

Basically, he had really good stage presence. And it seems like he still does.

His restaurant in/near Times square (NYC) was a MESS.......bad service, meh food, not dirty but certainly un-clean.

More reputation than substance incolved with him I think

To be fair...is there any such thing as a good restaurant in Times Square?

As for Guy, I don't think he's ever really tried to market himself as a Master Chef or anything. But he does a good job of lifting others up, instead of tearing them down, as a part of his actual job (unlike some celebrity chefs I could name *coughflaycough*), so I tend to like him even if his style isn't really for me. I don't think I'd eat at his restaurant in DS, because when I get up to Disney, I want to try really special, fun things. But if one opened in my hometown? Eh, it sounds pretty decent.

That explains a lot.
As far as I know, he has never hidden that fact, nor has he tried to come off as some world class chef.

Of the first few winners, he is one that has actually made it, in any sense of the word. I've stopped watching the show, but I remember the first 2 winners. And they were awful, and had pretty bad stage presence. And generally made dishes that you couldn't pay me to eat. Guy on the other hand, made food that seemed more approachable. (Please, everyone, don't go back to see what everyone made, list it and then ask if I like any of those dishes. It was simply a feeling that I had at the time. Not actually scientific discovery.)

I've never really eaten at any of his restaurants, but the Carnival cruise ship I was on in January had his Burger Bar and let me tell you that was one tasty burger. I didn't have one for a few days because I thought, it's a burger...how good could it be....but everyone I knew was raving about them. Finally I had one and kicked myself for waiting so long to have it because if I could have eaten another one right away I would have they were that good. LOL I'll try this chicken place if I get a chance, but I very rarely make specific plans on a counter service place.

I also don't think you can compare anything with his name on it to the DD&D show places because these aren't his creations, nor is he really going to get to give 100% valid opinions while on a show. His show wouldn't last long if he gave true and 100% accurate reviews IMHO.

I will second the Carnival Cruise ship burger. I didn't realize that "Guys Burgers" were named for him. I was thinking it was like "Five Guys". But, when we were on the cruise in March 2017, those burgers were the best food on the cruise. Not joking. I was truly disappointed that we "had" to dine in the formal dining room. I was looking for any excuse I could find to get back on the ship after an excursion in time to eat a burger before dinner. Maybe it has something to do with the mass produced food for the dining room that lacks flavor (a.k.a. fat/grease). IDK?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!