Child care (Simba's clubhouse)

presfam

Earning My Ears
Hi all! First post--of many I'm sure! We are planning our January 2018 visit which includes our 3 sons (6,4,2). Our 4 y/o has Down syndrome. Mickey Mouse is his everything. We can't wait!! I know that childcare states children must be potty trained, but he wears pull ups. We are more than happy to come back and change his pull up as needed, since we will be dining close by. Has anyone experienced them complying with this, and allowing a child to attend the child care while wearing pull ups? I know in room care is an option, but I really would love for him to experience the fun that goes along with the clubhouse setting!

Last I knew, the WDW childcare programs were not at all lenient with the potty-trained rule. Unfortunately, it's too easy for parents to say they'll come back but instead head off to a park, another resort or other venue not close enough to check back regularly. You can certainly ask, and please let us know if you find out differently.

Enjoy your vacation!

Is Simba's Clubhouse not a licensed child care center? If it is, Sue's post here, would suggest that they will (must) make accommodations (though that doesn't help with the two-year-old).

Aunty's Beach House and Special Needs

They would not be able to offer 1:1 care, could not feed, administer medication or change diapers.
But, they would be licensed as child care/day care providers and are subject to the ADA. So, they would have to make reasonable accommodations for needs related to disability if possible. That does mean that if a child is not toilet trained due to their disability, they can't just say no. They would not have to change diapers, but would need to accommodate that disability related need in some way.

In the Florida Children's Activity 'clubs' accommodation has included things like the parent coming to administer medication and either parent coming at a set time or being called if diapering was needed.

The website states no pull ups, specifically:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/childrens-activity-centers/

Also, it's for 3-12 year olds, so your 2 year old wouldn't be allowed either.

Yes, I read about not allowing pull ups. I was simply asking if anyone had experienced any lenience with their child(ren) with special needs.

I'm also aware that my 2 year old is below the age range. He would stay back with my parents, which is the back up plan for my son. However, he and his older brother would really enjoy the socialization and activities provided by the clubhouse. I just would hope that Disney could find a way to accommodate to promote inclusivity. We would be more than happy to change a pull up when called to do so.

Never hurts to ask, because they might be able to accommodate you. It might not be an ADA issue. This varies by state, I'm sure, but in VA there are different levels of certification and licensing. Some centers legally cannot help with diapering because they don't have the certification for it. And I'm sure that's intentional, the same as it is at play centers at grocery stores and most summer camp programs. They get approved for child care but nothing of a personal nature. Even most public school teachers aren't allowed to help with personal accidents, the child has to go to the health clinic.
I have an autistic 5 year old who still wears pull ups and if he soils his pants during speech or other services he has to go back to his classroom where his teachers are approved to change him. I also sit on my church preschool advisory board and we recently went through the licensing process again when we chose to get rid of our religious exemption. So many rules about who can touch a child and how. Which is good, of course. But it does sting when there is yet another thing your kid can't participate in.

One important thing to remember is the staff's ability to work with the situation. I have a friend who works in one of the Disney kid clubs and while she did receive training, she doesn't have any special certifications (other than CPR) or early-childhood education training. They are just a bunch of (usually) young adults. They may not have much experience with special-needs children. Just remember that while, in some situations, they might legally have to accept a kid, it doesn't mean the staff knows the best way to care for them. For example, I used to be a summer camp counselor, and while I had lots of training from the company about what to do in many situations, we really didn't have any training for special-needs children. Worse, sometimes parents would enroll their kids and not list what their children's specific needs are. Their thought it that it would prevent the camp from discriminating against their kid or preemptively preventing them from enrolling, but from a counselor's perspective we are now responsible for a child who does have special needs and we have no idea what those needs are or how to best care for them.

TL/DR: Also keep the staff's training in mind, and remember they may not be trained to work with special needs children.

Does anyone know if the in-room care has an age limit? My son with Down syndrome will be 4 as well when we travel next October 2018 but my daughter will only be 2.
Thanks in advance!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter