Child Identification

cbvacation

Earning My Ears
A few months ago I remember reading a great thread somewhere on these boards regarding ideas for id tags for children. Of course, my trip was sooo far away that I read it and went on, without copying anything down!

So now, can anyone help me find if this thread still exists (I haven't been able to find it!), OR offer any ideas that they have used?

Thanks!

I remember reading that thread too and there was a good tip about putting a tag on your child's shoelace with info such as name, hotel, and cell phone #.
Does anyone know where to get these small tags?
I also remember reading to have a current photo of your child with you and always know what your child is wearing that day (I think I'll dress them all in the same color each day to make it easier to remember;) ).

This is what we did when we went in June...(not an earthshattering idea, but I'll share nonetheless!)

I used index cards and wrote my children's names, where we were staying (FW cabins) and my dh's cell phone number. I put instructions on the cards that if they were lost, then the person (cm) was to call the cell phone. My dh kept his cell phone on at all times. I laminated the cards and put them into my children's fanny packs, which they wore every time we were out and about. Usually, my youngest was in a stroller so we didn't have as much concern about him. But if he wanted to walk, he wore his fanny pack.

I also spoke to my children before we left that if they got lost, they were to find a CM (we talked about their costumes and nametags) and tell them that they were lost. We also talked about remaining calm. This talk was mostly for the benefit of my 7 year old...he was better able to understand.

BTW, I also wrote down my dh's cell phone number for my mom who came with us. She kept it in her fanny pack incase we got separated and she needed to find us. Thankfully that never happened!

Have a fun and safe trip!
Marcy

I was at a local fair sponsored by our park district earlier this year. The police dept was making free id cards for children that included a picture, fingerprints, name, birthmarks and medical concerns. I took them with us on our trip to WDW/DCL. You could probably call your local police dept to see if they have a day coming up to have one made.

you can print one on www.kidsafeid.com and upload a picture into the ID. It prints kind of small, so you may have to enlarge it. It's nice though. Has a spot for height, weight, name, DOB and under the parents names I put my name and in the second field I put our resort and the dates we're staying and my cell phone number.

I did the same thing Marcy did. I pinned DD's laminated card to the inside of her shorts pocket.

Can't remember where I ordered it from, but I ordered a pet ID tag online for my nephew. He is 5 and we go in 20 days. It cost about $4.50, delivered. I did a search for "pet ID tags" on google.com and got tons of choices. His tag says:

"If I am lost call
Aunt (my name)
Cell xxx-xxx-xxxx
or xxx-xxx-xxxx
Staying at
Boardwalk
Villas"

All that fit on a round tag that is about 1".

I listed my name, as the reservation is in my name at the hotel. The second number of the tag is my sister's (my nephew's mother) cell phone. I plan to lace this in his shoes the days he wears sneakers and pin it inside his shorts pocket the days he wears sandals.

We also will actually introduce him to a Cast Member and talk about what to do if he is lost. (This is what I do with my godchildren). I walk up to a CM and say "I (name) (name is on their tag), I am Renee and this is my nephew (name). He is learning what do to here if he gets lost. blah, blah, blah." The CMS are great about this.

Have a good, and safe trip!

Kidscope is the company that you can order a special ID from (I'm guessing their website is www.kidscope.com, but I don't know for sure). They send you a sheet of paper and you write a ton of info on it (names, adddresses, phone numbers, relevant med history, DOB, etc...) and then they shrink it a tiny piece of microfilm, that fits inside a tiny viewer that attaches to your kid's shoe lace. If some one looks inside they find all the info you recored. It think it costs less than $20.00.

I like that it goes on the shoe. I have one for my oldest DD, that I got for our first trip to Disney with her...I have since had 2 more little ones and I haven't gotten them one yet -- and I wish I had especially with our trip coming up. I am probably going to make them each something to go on their shoe, unless they each have pockets, otherwise how does a 2 year "carry id"?

Anyhow, hope you can find the Kidscope website. I'm going to try myself now, too.

WHOOPS....not kidscopes.com (horoscopes :o ) The correct website...www.escopes.com. You can order them on-line. That's new! I'm going to get them for my other 2 now!

We used a Disney luggage tag - it was plastic, and we were able to write on the slip of paper inside. We put our grandson's name, our resort address and our cell phone number on it. We pinned the tag to the inside of his pocket. He practiced finding CMs and was instructed that all "Disney workers" were trained to help lost kids. Our grandson is 5 years old. We also have the Kids ID with vital information and fingerprints.

With all the crazy awful child abductions, I am very careful to keep him with us. We have tried to train him not to go with strangers. We also have a child identification system we put together for all our grandchildren - we found it on the website www.elizabethsmart.com
Sandie

I had to hunt but found the site I ordered mine from

id-inside.com

Sorry, don't know how to make it a link.

These are the nylon bands that fasten with velcro. We used it in June and the rugrat left it alone. We put all the info inside and felt better. We also did the sticker on the shirt and the card in the fanny pack. No problems, though!

Ohh thanks for posting that! I just ordered one. Their price is very reasonable and the shipping is only .50! Gotta love that!

When my son staerted school I went to walmart and got a great flag tag(pet tag). I put my husband and my work #. Pager and cell #'s and it goes right on his back pack ! I think I will make a special one for disney with hotel name and number and our cell phone

PetSmart has a machine to make the little tags with all the important information. I'm planning on using them on shoe laces for our upcoming trip.

Thanks to all for your replies! We are leaving at the end of the week, so I think I'm going to look for the nylon bands or the pet tags at PetSmart.

Thanks again.

I have tried the kidsafeid site a few times today. Cannot get the "create an ID" function to work. Is there a trick to this or is there a problem with the site?

As a variation on the current picture idea, for those that have a digital camera, take a shot of your child(ren) in the morning before you head out. That way it is current, up to date, and you can see exactly what they are wearing.

I do like the idea of the pet tags.

Also, for my DS's day care this summer, they had field trips every week. When they arrived on field trip day, they were given a wrist band (adhesive, like you would get waiting online for concert tickets). They typed the name of the day care, the director who was in charge, and her cell phone number.

When my older daughter was 4 I made up a bunch of tags (we were traveling all over FL for two weeks) with the hotels name, our cel phone number and her name (she is very very very quiet and shy). We went over what happens if she got seperated and at each place (since we were traveling around and not just at WDW) we went to I went out of my way to show her the type of tag the person would could help her looked like.
We never had to use the tags, but I give them to her on every trip. Since she called them her "get lost tags" when she was 4 she is still calling them at 6 years old.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter