Child just turning 3

Ryanne

Earning My Ears
i know at a Disney a child under 3 is free, child over 3 is not. We have a child in our group who is turning 3 right around our trip. She is listed as an infant for our room reservation. Our room holds 5 plus an infant. We have 4 adults, a 4 year old and the "baby". So we aren't maxing out our room. but I also want to buy her tickets to the park - I don't want any issues if someone asks her age or whatever (even though it's slim). I don't want to have to worry about it.

Can I buy tickets and have them linked to her magic band even though she is under 3 in our room reservation? I am new to Disney vacation club. We have our reservations but no tickets yet. I know she will get a magic band with our room reservation. Not sure if I can still link ticktes to it even though she is an "infant"

An infant is usually a baby up to, at max, one year old. An almost-3 year old is not an infant. OP, you pretty much acknowledge that with your quotes.

See next post for clarification of status.

Last edited:
They count an infant as any child under the age of 3 - which she is. Any child under three does not count towards the room. We are allowed 5 adults and 1 underage child.

But she will be turning 3 during our trip. So I wanted to purchase her park tickets. I wa t to know if I can purchase in advance and have them linked to the magic banned or if they will not let you purchase or link anything for an underage child

To clarify: a single person under 3 does not impact room capacity. The good news for you is that Disney treats you as the age you are for the first day of your visit for your entire visit. In other words: you don't need a ticket at all for someone who turns 3 on the trip. You should be able to NOT have t spend extra $.

Is she turning 3 right before your trip, or really right in the middle of it? Either way, I think you need to just pick a side and go with it. Either say she is under 3 and you aren't maxing out your room and you don't need to buy her a ticket, or say she is 3 and you need another room plus a park ticket.

Also, I have been to Disney with an almost 3 year old, and then again right after she turned 3. Nobody ever asked her age when we were entering the parks, or using FP. The only time anyone asked her age was at the table service restaurants where under 3's ate free. I'm not in any way saying you should lie, but I don't think you'll even be asked. So if she is turning 3 during the trip, Disney will consider her 2 the whole time.

I know the rules. I know if she is turning 3 during our trip she will still be comisiderd 2, etc. And I know the odds of being asked are slim. But in must don't want to deal with it and would rather have tickets for her. She is a larger 2 year old, I don't want to have to deal with being asked or carrying a birth certificate or whatever.

I know the hotel and checking is fine. But I don't want to have to worry about it going to the parks every day I just a smooth running trip. Especially because we are going at Halloween time so we will have those tickets as well.

I just want to know if there is an easy way to actually get park tickets for a child and add them to her magic band - even though she is curently under 2. Or will the system not link tickets to her band?

I know the rules. I know if she is turning 3 during our trip she will still be comisiderd 2, etc. And I know the odds of being asked are slim. But in must don't want to deal with it and would rather have tickets for her. She is a larger 2 year old, I don't want to have to deal with being asked or carrying a birth certificate or whatever.

I know the hotel and checking is fine. But I don't want to have to worry about it going to the parks every day I just a smooth running trip. Especially because we are going at Halloween time so we will have those tickets as well.

I just want to know if there is an easy way to actually get park tickets for a child and add them to her magic band - even though she is curently under 2. Or will the system not link tickets to her band?
You're willing to spend hundreds of dollars to avoid having a CM possibly question her age? That has to be the biggest waste of money I've ever heard. As an infant on the reservation, she will receive a Magic Band and I assume that she can just scan it like anyone else. Bring her birth certificate just in case. It's really not a big deal.

I don't think the system will let you online but maybe call to buy tickets and see what they can do.

Seriously, you're going to spend hundreds of dollars for a ticket that you don't even need? Or is the child actually 3 before the start of your vacation?

It just makes no sense to buy a ticket unless one is needed. Unless, of course, you just enjoy throwing away money!

You're willing to spend hundreds of dollars to avoid having a CM possibly question her age? That has to be the biggest waste of money I've ever heard. As an infant on the reservation, she will receive a Magic Band and I assume that she can just scan it like anyone else. Bring her birth certificate just in case. It's really not a big deal.

I second bringing a copy of the birth certificate if you are concerned but when DD was about to turn 3 no one even batted an eye.

You have presented the issue 2 different ways.

If she doesn't turn 3 until middle of trip then no need to do anything. If a CM asked you just say she just turned 3 on the trip and it won't be big deal no birth certificate needed.

If she turns 3 before the trip (how it was originally presented) then you are over capacity for the room so have bigger issues then just tickets.

Deal with what... If a CM asks you you simply tell them she is 2 or her birthday to say she just turned 3 during trip . No hassle at all...

You do not need a birth certificate. At most, they might ask her age, but will take you at your word. My 2 year old was almost the size of my 4 year old, and I still had no trouble. But please do be honest about her age, either way.

i know at a Disney a child under 3 is free, child over 3 is not. We have a child in our group who is turning 3 right around our trip. She is listed as an infant for our rbeen oom reservation. Our room holds 5 plus an infant. We have 4 adults, a 4 year old and the "baby". So we aren't maxing out our room. but I also want to buy her tickets to the park - I don't want any issues if someone asks her age or whatever (even though it's slim). I don't want to have to worry about it.

Can I buy tickets and have them linked to her magic band even though she is under 3 in our room reservation? I am new to Disney vacation club. We have our reservations but no tickets yet. I know she will get a magic band with our room reservation. Not sure if I can still link ticktes to it even though she is an "infant"
from what I understand you will not be able to link the "baby" band to the tickets you want to buy for the "baby". if she is turning 3 while you are at Disney no problem just answer that turned while there, no problem with size of child unless you are trying to get 8 year old as a turning 3. been there with a turning 3 no problem. I see you having more problems at check in if you have tickets for your "baby"on a band which will be seen by desk CM while putting room code on bands so you can get into room. can not have it both ways

I could be wrong, but I'm getting the impression the child will be 3 before the trip. OP, if that is the case, you really need to rethink everything. Your room doesn't even hold everyone. Once your child is 3 they are no longer an infant, and count towards your room total. If they are 3 before the trip you have too many people for your room. You risk being tossed out or told you need to get another room at full rack rate. Plus they will need their own park pass.

I see on another thread you are talking about being new DVC owners? You realize you could lose a lot if you are caught trying to fit more people than allowed into a DVC unit, right?

As others have said, the child's birth date dictates everything. If she is 2 on the day you check in, she is 2 for the whole trip. No park tickets needed and she will not count towards room occupancy. There won't be any problem so you don't need to purchase tickets to avoid a problem. However, if she is 3 on check in date, she will need tickets and you will also need a bigger room or 2 rooms. I don't believe it is possible to count her as 3 at the parks and 2 at the hotel room. THAT raises red flags that may cause a problem, which you are trying to avoid. The policy is clear, so based on her birth date act accordingly.

I could be wrong, but I'm getting the impression the child will be 3 before the trip. OP, if that is the case, you really need to rethink everything. Your room doesn't even hold everyone. Once your child is 3 they are no longer an infant, and count towards your room total. If they are 3 before the trip you have too many people for your room. You risk being tossed out or told you need to get another room at full rack rate. Plus they will need their own park pass.

I see on another thread you are talking about being new DVC owners? You realize you could lose a lot if you are caught trying to fit more people than allowed into a DVC unit, right?
Meh. Even if she is already 3 by a few weeks I don't think it's a big deal and there is no need to rethink everything for this trip. The OP just needs to use the same age for her DD on the room reservation and for park passes ... which is "under 3". Anything else invalidates the "official" room occupancy. I use the word "official" since the difference in space that a 35 month child and a 37 month child uses in a villa is inconsequential.

FWIW, I don't think the DD will already be 3. I think the OP is just worried that they will be questioned and held up at the gate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter