Child scooter in the rain

Forevryoung

DIS Veteran
Long story short: I am going as a "babysitter" with a family of four with a disabled 10yr old. They are driving (I am flying) but her power chair doesnt fit in the van (no comment) so they are getting her one of those scooter things within the next month or so. We are going in June and her mom is very worried about the rain and the motorized parts and the fact that the thing can only go x amount of miles on the batery (i think its 10 or 12). Two questions:

1) How close is the handicapped parking in the parks? If she gets too tired, battery runs out, or it rains hard (and her mom get too worried) we can go get her stroller from the car. It would really stink if the car was far away.

2) Has anyone had an issue with the rain and the scooters or any power equipment?

I think shes over worrying but maybe this post will reassure her-
Thanks,
-K

Forevryoung said:
1) How close is the handicapped parking in the parks? If she gets too tired, battery runs out, or it rains hard (and her mom get too worried) we can go get her stroller from the car. It would really stink if the car was far away.
The handicapped parking is not that far. I don't think she will have trouble with running out of power. She can bring the charger and plug it in at the parks (ask at restaurants). But a 10-12 mile range should not be a problem - the range depends on the speed used, the conditions (like is it really a lot of hills) and the weight of the person using the ecv.

2) Has anyone had an issue with the rain and the scooters or any power equipment?
-K
I'm not clear about whether this scooter will be hers or if she is planning on renting one. They should be aware that most rental places will not allow the scooters to be used by anyone under the age of 18 (probably for insurance/liability reasons).
If it is her own scooter, her family should contact the company they are getting it from to see what they recommend. The controls are the parts that need to be protected from getting wet. Some solutions are to use a plastic shower cap over the controller or top wear a poncho that covers the controller and park it under a roof if it has to be left. My DD's power wheelchair is fairly well sealed; she goes out in snow and rain without problem, but if we were in a steady downpour, we'd protect the controller.
Another thing to think about is traction. Some of the scooters have sort of smooth tires that don't have much traction if wet.

Several answers.

First they must make sure that any "scooter" they buy her is actually an ECV that is considered medical equipment. If it is a three or four wheel it will probably be allowed; if it is two wheeled it will not be allowed.

Most ECVs are rated for either 10 or 25 miles at maximum wight and maximum speed. I have never seen an ECV with less that a 200 pound capacity so ten miles on a charge should be no problem. It is very unusual to even walk eight miles in a day at the parks.

A few months ago I managed to get an unrepairable flat on my ECV's front tire way in the back of the MGM Studio. They brought me one of their rentals (at no charge) and took mine up to the stroller station so I was able to recover it when leaving the park.

Since they have a power chair, they should have either a handicap hang tag or plate on the van. With either they will be allowed into medical parking which is close to the entrance of each park.

I carry a plastic shower cap in a small bag. If there is any rain, I do put the shower cap over the control module to protect the electronics from the rain. Everything else is waterproof, so there is no problem with puddles or rain otherwise.

I have found that if I am caught in the rain I will put on a poncho that covers my entire upper body, the seatback and my legs while seated. The shower cap protects the electronics.

I hope these answers help.

Thanks,
I appoligize for not being clear on the fact that the scooter will be hers for medical purposes (I believe it will be four wheels for stability). The insurance company is picking up most of the cost (yay). She has very little balance and can not walk unassisted. Thats why I'm going- lifting her on and off the rides takes a strong person *makes muscle*. Her parents just cant do it alone and lucky for me!

I will make sure her mom takes a shower cap for the controls. They have a handicap hang tag.

Wonderful! I am very excited and I am sure we will have more questions. I haven't been in about 8 or 9 years so this is a "new" experience for me too.
-K

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter