child with seizures on rides

nickiclour

Earning My Ears
My DD has a history of szs( 3 years sz free). I am always nervous about certain lights etc. on rides. Anyone with any bad/ good experience when it comes to this subject.The buzz ride is def. one I am concerned about, I have heard there are alot of lazers going off & bright lights etc.

Thanks!

Nicki, here is a link to search results - Seizure Threads

Take a look!

teri.GIF
DIS disABILITIES Discussion Board FAQ under construction!
"My brain takes a vacation just to give my heart more room..."
teri@iluvdisney.com

I'm glad tht the Search function works for teri. It always tells me there are no matches, even after I've just posted something myself that matches.
Anyway, I just wanted to post to re-assure you. My DD does have sizures at least one a month. She has had a seizure at WDW on each of our last trips (March 200, Sept 2000 and March 2001). None of her seizures has been connected with any rides and she goes on almost everything except Space Mountain, BTMRR, Rock N Roller coaster and Kali River Rapids. Her last seizure was after a very nice character meal with no lights or anything going on. The one before that was was at Epcot in WS when we had not been on anything. Her seizures at WDW have been more connected with change in schedule, possibly dehydration and geting overtired.
She's been on Buzz Lightyear a number of times without a problem (including 2 rides in a row). It does have lasers, but they are on each ride car, aimed at targets by each rider, so they don't really get in anyone's line of sight. The part that has flashing lights is toward the end where you go thru a tunnel. It's not really flashing lights, more like being inside a kalidoscope where there are flashes of color that travel away from you to give an illusion of going fastter than you actually are. Some people are mosre sensitive to flashing lights than others. I know some people really require a fast, rhythmic flashing light to trigger seizures. The only ride I can think of that gives that sort of a regular pattern of flashing lights is the Maestrom in Norway. My DD has ridden that a number of times without a problem though.
After going thru the lists from some of the search questions, you could make up a list of rides that you think might be a problem. Then, if your DS wants to ride those, you could probably ride them first to see how they look to you.

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

Thanks so much for the sz posts, I read through them & definitely have some good info written down. SueM Thanks for the details regarding your daughter & her sz history. I think my DD will be fine on buzz, I will be sure to let you all know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts