Children's Movies as an adult?

amberpi

DIS Veteran
I figure this question will be skewed here, but among my friends without kids the answer will be: "eyeroll, no, but have you seen insert annoying foreign film here."

So... if you don't have children, do you see children's movies? Now that I'm single, with the exception of Beauty and the Beast, I don't. I hated it when I was married too. Not that UP isn't a quality movie, but just, I wasn't interested. My ex was, so we went, no big deal. I was talking to someone with children yesterday though and he was surprised since I love Disneyworld that I had never seen some of the recent movies. So, do you see children's movies? And do you see them at the theater? Am I missing out? Because honestly, I slept through Inside/Out, The Lego Movie, etc.

Some yes. Mostly the sequels to my childhood favorites like Finding Dory and the Toy Stories.

My kids actually aren't into many animated movies right now but I watch them with the girls I babysit. I have actually liked quite a few(Trolls, Secret Life of Pets).

I see some if I think the theme will appeal to me. I rarely go to theaters, though for any movies, so it's unlikely I'd spend the bucks on kid movies.

I've enjoyed plenty of kid movies, but if I didn't have kids, I wouldn't bother seeing any or feel like I was missing out.

Yep. I saw them as an adult pre-kid and now that my daughter is almost an adult herself I still go see them. I don't always see them in the theaters but I do eventually see them at some point. Just saw Cars 3 on Saturday.

Why not? I like what Pixar brought, because the storytelling had little touches that were meant to be understood by adults. I also watched a lot of Disney movies when I was an adult. I would typically watch when there were fewer kids though. And when I went to see a movie like that I know better than to complain about a kid acting up.

I'm a single adult guy, and I go all the time. If it looks good, then I will go see it. I find I usually enjoy kids/animation films more than most anyway, particularly Disney lately. I also buy the Blu-ray discs for many of them. Kids movies have something so charming and pure about them and I love it.

I am looking forward to seeing Cars 3 sometime this week!

I've still got my kids as an excuse, but I'll probably still watch Disney movies after they're grown because I did as an adult before kids. I think Disney does a better story than other animated productions. Most other kids movies I'm not interested in - I'll take the kids but I wouldn't see them on my own.

We'll, now that DS is 16, I don't have the free pass that I used to (though I may be able to drag him to Cars 3 for nostalgia's sake :laughing: ) but I actually have no problem seeing a "kids" movie. Whether I go to the theater for it depends on the movie. I did see Beauty and the Beast by myself, but I waited for the remakes of the Jungle Book and Pete's Dragon to come out on Netflix. Inside Out is one of my favorite movies, though!

I figure this question will be skewed here, but among my friends without kids the answer will be: "eyeroll, no, but have you seen insert annoying foreign film here."

So... if you don't have children, do you see children's movies? Now that I'm single, with the exception of Beauty and the Beast, I don't. I hated it when I was married too. Not that UP isn't a quality movie, but just, I wasn't interested. My ex was, so we went, no big deal. I was talking to someone with children yesterday though and he was surprised since I love Disneyworld that I had never seen some of the recent movies. So, do you see children's movies? And do you see them at the theater? Am I missing out? Because honestly, I slept through Inside/Out, The Lego Movie, etc.
I like some children's movies and dislike others, just as with mainstream adult movies and artsy foreign films. Among Disney films from the past few years, my favorite is Frozen. I like Wall-E, Finding Nemo and Mulan. I also like many of the Disney classics, like Mary Poppins and the animated Alice in Wonderland. Certain non-Disney family movies, like The Black Stallion, Spirited Away and The Secret of Roan Inish are favorites, too.

You couldn't pay me to sit through the current remakes of Disney's animated classics, though (or rather, you'd have to pay me a lot). I didn't like Finding Dory, and there are plenty of other animated Disney films that leave me cold, as well. There are others I'm just okay with. It's all about the quality of the film and personal interest.

Last edited:
My 16 year old daughter and I see a fair number of Disney movies. She insisted on seeing Dory last year, we both insisted on seeing BatB. We'll probably see Cars 3. We occasionally break out the Disney DVDs at home too.

Movies are supposed to be entertainment, not a means of impressing those around you. If it sounds fun, watch it.

Depends on the children's movies. Most Disney ones yes, once I was "too old" to go I had a newphew to take, then I have my own kids, not sure what I will do when they age out.

A lot of movies are available via streaming services or perhaps through a TV service provider. I guess if you want to see a Disney movie they are shown on various cable channels and for rental. I frankly bought several Disney/Pixar movies before I had a child.

I developed a real taste for children's movies when my own DS was little - for years we saw practically everything that was marketed to kids. I still see many of them - it's astonishing how the progress of CGA has changed the genre. Moana, for example, is probably the most visually-beautiful movie I've ever seen.

Yes I went to see some in theaters and had a very nice Disney collection before having my daughter. I mainly stick to Disney, but I really thought Trolls was a kick and love the soundtrack.

I listen to the Disney soundtracks regularly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter