China Trip - Did you take Typhoid and Malaria preventative medicines?

carolinatennisgirl

Earning My Ears
We are going on the 8/19 China trip and are unsure if any of areas we visit on the trip are considered "rural" for purposes of taking the preventative Typhoid and Malaria medicines. I've looked online at CDC travel page, and our travel clinic says it depends on whether we are visiting rural areas. Would appreciate any advice!

We went in 2017. We all got Typhoid, Hep and Tetanus shots. Malaria was not recommended.
Same here. I'm going to double-check my list at home to verify if there was anything beyond these.

Sayhello

Physician here. These vaccines aren't mandatory but certainly not a bad idea. Note that Hepatitis A requires two shots over a 6 month period so you likely would not be fully immune in time for an August trip. Also be aware that the typhoid vaccine is only about 50-75% effective. With good hand hygiene, drinking bottled water, and avoiding ice cubes you will almost certainly be fine in the areas that ABD visits.

We had our kids take the oral Typhoid before China. I ended up taking it a year later for Peru--should have done it with them :)

If you do the typhoid vaccine, do the oral version if you can. Lasts much longer and has better coverage (it does take longer to give you protection, which is why (I assume) some people take the injection version.

You can find all of the CDC's travel vaccination recommendations here. I'm a pharmacist, and I took the Hepatitis A and typhoid vaccinations before I went. I had previously taken the Hepatitis B vaccination for work and the Yellow Fever vaccination for a trip to Africa.

We went in 2016 (with Thomson Family Adventures, not ABD), and all got Typhoid, Hep A and, I think, Hep B. My kids also got Yellow Fever (DH and I had gotten it for a previous trip to Africa). We did not take anything for Malaria. Our trip spent three nights in Yangshuo, which I'd call fairly rural, and we were fine.

We did a China trip with Viking and didn't get any of the shots. We figured we weren't going anywhere off the beaten track and weren't going to eat any street food. We really didn't have much opportunity to eat street food, and, the times that we did, we were already full from the included meals.

We are doing the ABD SE Asia trip this summer and plan on trying some street foods anywhere we can. So, we decided to get our Hep A shots (one down, one to go) and will get Typhoid too - probably the pills.

We are heading to Korea (not with Disney) and we got typhoid and hep a for me cause I am old and it wasn't a required vaccine for me back in the day. I would rather be safe than sorry.

We went in July 2013 and did not do any of the vaccines. We didn't eat or drink anything outside of what Disney provided and we were fine. Disney did provide us with lots of bottled water. Enjoy your trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter