Chinese New Year

chrispitts

Earning My Ears
Having last visited "EuroDisney" (as it was back then) in about 1993, I'm now planning a revisit with my wife, mother-in-law (in-built babysitter), 2 1/2 yr old daughter, and 11 and 5 year old niece and nephew, all of whom are Disney virgins.

We thought it might be nice to go over in January, partly due to the price reduction, but also because of the advertised "Chinese New Year Fireworks".

However, having read SimonV's very comprehensive book (Simon, it's an honour to be on the same forum!), I'm a little concerned about how much is likely to close at that time. And are all the characters on duty at off-peak times? Because if we don't get to see Snow White and the Dwarves, our little girl will be stamping her feet along Main St. USA in tears...
Obviously there's the big draw of "no crowds", but, living near Drayton Manor Park (I know, I know, no comparison at all!), we know how "dead" it seems off-peak, and we don't want to be wandering around a half-closed Resort.

There is also the issue of the weather.
As I remember, quite a lot is outside (even taking into account the special "undercover route" in chapter 6 - great hint, that one!), and, particularly with the little one, I'm a little concerned about hypothermia setting in!
We'll be wrapping up warm, and stopping off for regular coffees/hot chocolates, but is the cold as big an issue as I suspect - my last visit was in mid-June, so was a very different experience.
I'm a bit worried that some of the more memorable (for me, anyway) experiences - shopping in the Turkish Bazaar, looking at the little decorative touches along Main St. etc. might be slightly less enjoyable when the heavens open and it's below freezing. And I'm not touching Excalibur if I'm likely to stick to it...!

Having said all that, I'm really looking forward to my next dose of Disney (even though it's taken 11 long years to get "It's a Small World" out of my mind..... oh-oh - here it comes again!!!) .

My final question - there was no mention in Simon's book about the Chinese fireworks - does anyone have any experience of this time of year - What is on/open? What isn't?

And I was very disappointed about the "no picnics" rule - still, it's a licence to print money, isn't it!!!

ew, that "below freezing" thing would decide it for me. but then, i was too cold in new orleans, so i moved to orlando!

i just went last month and have pretty much decided that one of my vacations every year is going to be in september -- maybe october if it's a warmer climate that i'm visiting (but not paris, thanks... brrr)

Hi there...

well the chinese new year celebration is a new thing they tried last year for the first time and even after giving away many tickets for the first night it was not very crowded .... to be polite :-)
So for the next season they try this longer celebration, but in my personal opinion there is no market in europe for any chinese celebrations ( halloween and carnival work fine ! ) in a theme park..

The weather can be a very nasty thing in january, i am just back from a week long vacation in DLP ( oct. 2nd to 8th ) and had 3 warm and clouded days with temperatures around 20-22 C , but two days with heavy ( !!! ) winds, pouring rain and temperatures around 6 C making it nearly impossible to leave the hotel with our one year old baby boy, even when you use all the coverage the park provides our visits were limited to 1 - 2 hours per day. I have been in the park in january two years ago and had crisp clear skies, sun and even some ice / snow in the park which was great for the overall atmosphere, but the temperatures were around -5 C all over the day and i think you should plan accordingly for really cold temperatures and some wind/rain/snow when choosing to go.. make sure you have plenty of games for the little ones and some space to spread out in the hotel

The parks will be empty in january, so no wait times for you and i have never had any problems regarding the lack of characters ( but did not see snowwhite and the dwarves ) but my advise would be to go later next year if you can and make use of some warmer weather in may / june with the little kids definetely a better option !!!

Stephan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!