Chinese squatty potty

What the pictures don't tell you (well... maybe some do) is that some places (like in the hutong) the walls are about waist high and there are no doors.

Some flush... some are just a hole through the floor with porcelain around it (or stainless steel)

COBRAND_NAME=snapfish

I have a picture of one that I can post when I get home. They are easier to use than they sound. I was so proud of myself the first time I used one. Then again the only place I really came across them was at the Temple of Heaven in Beijing on our first day.

Did the search, and yep, probably more information than I wanted, but curiosity is satisfied now. Even though I had seen them called "squatty potty", I wasn't sure that was they were generally called.

We have always heard the term pit toilet.

We have been to China several times and find many places now have western toilets.

Just remember to bring your own paper, many public places have none.

I remember my experience when we were in Russia and I had to go use the restaroom at a restaurant. Our guide handed me pieces of a magazine as I got up. :lmao: Silly me, I thought she was giving me reading material. :rotfl:

Happy to say I managed our entire ABD china trip without ever using a squatty potty:) And no - I don't feel I missed out on the "experience".

We have always heard the term pit toilet.

We have been to China several times and find many places now have western toilets.

Just remember to bring your own paper, many public places have none.

I remember my experience when we were in Russia and I had to go use the restaroom at a restaurant. Our guide handed me pieces of a magazine as I got up. :lmao: Silly me, I thought she was giving me reading material. :rotfl:

Not to worry, I am stocking up on travel-sized TP and hand sanitizer--plan to have it in my daybag, my carry-on and some in my checked bag--would rather hve way too much than not enough. :eek:

Here is one at Hong Kong Disneyland. Note the electronic flush control on the wall behind.
b6904.jpg

>>> ... hole in the floor ...

Yes, over on the mainland especially in rural areas they have the composting kind too (no airtight cover). The one I saw was a slot in the concrete floor slanting to the composting pit behind; the custodian would come around every now and then and use a board to push back into the composting pit whatever refuse that wasn't washed down.

Disney hints: http://www.cockam.com/disney.htm

I didn't see any in Beijing or Hong Kong. I must have missed the one in HKDL as they were all "Western" too. One hint, in most places you don't flush your TP as the pipes/etc can't take it. Most people throw it into the trash and a custodian comes by and picks it out with long tongs. If the trash is full of TP, I would follow tradition.

I took a picture of this one in DL-Tokyo:

JapaneseToilet1.JPG

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter