Chip and Pin or Tap and Go?

kylieh

DIS Veteran
In the parks, are card payments Chip and Pin or Tap and Go? And is Apple Pay accepted?

Can’t answer for the parks, but I was stunned in February to find NO chip and pin machines anywhere at resorts or Disney springs. I thought that all of the US was supposed to be on that system by now. I was very surprised and not happy about it.

I don’t have a tap sort of card. All the machines I encountered were the swipe your cc kind.

Again, that’s outside of the parks; we didn’t visit any parks this time.

Can’t answer for the parks, but I was stunned in February to find NO chip and pin machines anywhere at resorts or Disney springs. I thought that all of the US was supposed to be on that system by now. I was very surprised and not happy about it.

I don’t have a tap sort of card. All the machines I encountered were the swipe your cc kind.

Again, that’s outside of the parks; we didn’t visit any parks this time.

Guessing you are not from the states. Chip and pin would make lots of sense - but only debit cards here have that. Credit cards are still swipe, or insert if they have a chip.

Guessing you are not from the states. Chip and pin would make lots of sense - but only debit cards here have that. Credit cards are still swipe, or insert if they have a chip.
Yes - Australia. For quite a few years now all credit and debit cards are either tap & go/contactless for up to AU$100 or chip and pin for above. About 90% of all transactions here are contactless. No banks/credit unions etc offer swipe only/chip-free cards. We can still swipe of course, but it is very rare and for mainly customers from outside Australia where their banks use old swipe technology. We don't even bother signing our cards now because it means nothing.

Sadly - the US is still at chip and signature on credit cards MOST places - but Disney is still requiring that you swipe a card for some reason unknown to me as you can't get a credit card in the US without a chip now. (Lots of places SKIP the signature - but that's hit or miss - and may be set by amount spent at some places.) I wish the US had chip and pin on credit cards! Disney gift cards - and their rewards card from their credit card sponsorship with Chase are swipe only - no chip - so that may be influencing their ancient approach.

It's a business decision. This is a simplification of the new law but...The law that came down a few years back required all card issuers to have chips. The merchants weren't required to use chips. The law states that if they don't, all liability for fraud falls back to them.

Yes - Australia. For quite a few years now all credit and debit cards are either tap & go/contactless for up to AU$100 or chip and pin for above. About 90% of all transactions here are contactless. No banks/credit unions etc offer swipe only/chip-free cards. We can still swipe of course, but it is very rare and for mainly customers from outside Australia where their banks use old swipe technology. We don't even bother signing our cards now because it means nothing.

Same in Canada. In the U.S., you will also sometimes be asked to show photo ID when using your credit card.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter