Choose one!

MrsPete

DIS Veteran
My husband and I are still hammering out details about where we want to go on our Western trip. Please tell me what you'd do in each of these situations -- and why! Thanks for your input!

Choice #1: Which would you choose and why?

A. Fly into Vegas, drive to the Grand Canyon, North Rim. Stay in the Grand Canyon park cabins. Do a half-day mule ride down into the canyon.

Positives: The mule trip seems like such a "must do" for the Grand Canyon. Though I've never been to the GC, I have the impression that the North side has views superior to the western portion. Plenty of time to relax at the cabins.
Negatives: None that I can see

B. Fly into Vegas. Take the full-day Pink Jeep tour out to the Grand Canyon. This involves a drive through Joshua Tree NP to the western side of the canyon, then a helicoptor ride into the canyon, and finally a pontoon boat ride on the Colorado River.

Positives: Two people (my pastor and a co-worker) have told me recently that the Pink Jeep tours are fabulous. This is going to be a two-week driving vacation for us, and it'd be a break from just us four driving together.
Negatives: Expensive! The tours'd be just over $300 each, and we're a family of four! We do tend to enjoy doing our own thing, stopping where we please, etc. We plan to head to Mesa Verde after the GC, and since the tour would take us back to Vegas, we'd be covering the same road the very next day; thus, more hours on the road total. And less time at the canyon. I read one review that said the driving time on the Pink Jeep tour wasn't worth the short time at the canyon, but you never know whether to believe ONE online review.

Choice #2: Which would you choose and why?

Regardless of which Grand Canyon option we choose, we're unsure of what to do AFTER our next stop. After Mesa Verde, we're going to Denver, but we have two choices that will get us there in about the same amount of time:

A. Drive towards Moab, Utah and see Arches National Park. We could take an ATV tour in Arches National Park, or we could just hike.

Positives: Arches National Park looks really cool.
Negatives: We'll just have left the Grand Canyon and Mesa Verde. Will we be "burned out" on deserts by this point?

B. Drive towards Durango, CO, where we'd see more of the moutains. We could do an ATV trip here too, but we really wouldn't have time to ride the Durango-Silverton Railway, which seems to be the biggest attraction in town because it's a full-day activity.

Positives: Looks like beautiful scenery. 30 minutes shorter than the other route, though that's a very small amount to be saved in an almost full-day's drive.
Negatives: None I can see

You didn't mention what month you are planning to travel. The summer months are VERY popular in any of the western national parks and you will need reservations well in advance if you want a rim cabin. How long will you have in the Grand Canyon and why are you only considering the north rim? I have been to both north and south rims and the south rim is by far the most tourist friendly with lots and lots to see and do. The north rim tourist area is much more limited. Both sides have the same impressive views, but the accessible rim area is much longer, with more to do on the south side. If you like to do your own thing and tour on your own, the south side is umpteen opportunties of things to do - the north rim is limited to one area.
If this is your first time in the southwest, you will be completely awed at the scenery! After the canyon, there are so many wonderful places to choose as your destination. Arches is a great park, have you also considered Bryce Canyon Nat'l Park? Wow...it's like no other place! Also Monument Valley in Kayenta, AZ is well worth seeing. (Lots of movies, even commercials have been made here). My choice would be to stay to the north and head toward Utah.
I would also suggest that you add a bit of driving time to the what is stated on a mapping program when driving thru the mountains. Some of the mountain roads can be steep, and very winding. If you are not used to those driving conditions, you will most likely drive a bit slower. :)

I vote for visiting Grand Canyon National Park North Rim. This is the true Grand Canyon, with the views you are expecting. www.nps.gov/grca . I have never done a mule trip, so can't tell you if it is a must do or not.

The West Rim so to speak, is not part of Grand Canyon Nat Park, but on the Hualapai Indian Reservation. This is where the Skywalk is located. The views are nothing like those at GC Nat Park. I don't think Pink Jeep Tours goes to Joshua Tree NP, which is at least 4 hours south of Vegas. Probably the tour will take you to an area that has joshua trees.

I would drive through the Colorado mountains to Denver. Durango is a beautiful town and there are many places to see along the route to Denver. We almost always drove east to Pagosa Springs, over Wolf Creek Pass to near the Great Sand Dunes, then north on US285 to Denver. There are other routes as well.

ATV's are not allowed in Arches Nat Park, www.nps.gov/arch/planyourvisit/regulations.htm Best to hike around and see the arches.

Have a great trip. Mesa Verde is one of my favorite national parks. Make sure you stop and see Farview Ruin, late afternoon is nice.

My Dad just did the pink jeep tour from Las Vegas and he said it was worth it. He is in his 60's and didn't want the hassle of driving etc..

He said it was very expensive but worth it. Your right the cost was around $300 or so and he was picked up from his hotel, drove to Hoover Dam, didn't get to stay very long there though, then drove on to the side of the canyon with the Indian reservation built the walk out over the canyon. They then got in a helicopter and went to the bottom of the canyon and got on a pontoon boat and rode up the colorado river for a few minutes. He said on the tour there was only about five-six other people...which is one of the bonus' of doing the pink jeep tour...they keep it relatively small amount of people.

They left from the bellagio hotel. On his video it did look impressive but I have heard that the South Rim is the ideal spot to witness the canyon. http://www.wdwinfo.com/images/smilies/confused24.gif

Good luck on your decision, either way it is one of the seven wonders of the world so you can't be too disappointed!

:confused3

I would vote for Plan A with both choices. My two cents:

The North Rim is more spectacular and less crowded than the western edge of the Grand Canyon - which is technically not the Grand Canyon at all, but a side canyon. The 'real' views of the Grand Canyon are in the National Park at North and South rims. However, IMO, the North Rim is still superior. You also will have the option of stopping and visiting Zion National Park in Southern Utah on your drive. It is spectacular and worth a half-day stop alone. The drive to Mesa Verde is LONG and BORING and repeating the route the next day is something I would not want to do. The only disadvantage is you will not see Hoover Dam, but you could make a side trip before you set off.

After Mesa Verde, I would not miss a chance to see Arches National Park. It is unbelievable. It is completely different (other than being hot in the summer) from Grand Canyon or Mesa Verde. There is nothing else like it anywhere. And do not miss the hike to Delicate Arch. You also have a short side trip to Canyonlands National Park if you want to do that - it is also worth a side trip. I do not know if you will have kids, but directly across the 'freeway' from the entrance to Arches is a huge red sand hill that kids absolutely love to play on. The drive from Mesa Verde to Denver along the S. Colorado / New Mexico border is also very long. Plan on at least an hour longer than MapQuest tells you. There is no interstate at all until you hit I-25, and it only takes one truck through the mountains to slow you down. From Moab, on the other hand, it is mostly interstate to Denver and you will see the some incredible mountains and canyons along I-70 including Glenwood Springs, Vail, Eisenhower Tunnel, and the drop into Denver. I have done it a million times and it ALWAYS impresses me. In addition, if you really want, you can take a short jog to the north and hit Rocky Mountain National Park. Driving over Trail Ridge Road in the summer is unforgettable. Closed in the winter and into the spring so be sure and check before you go if you do that.

The good news is there is no 'wrong' answer. Either option on either leg will be wonderful.

Arches is one of the most beautiful places in our country :) The color of the rock against the blue sky is just so fabulous-------my kids now understand why I call a certain color of blue "Arches sky."

Last time we were there (late June), we arrived in the park late afternoon and did some touring by car and a few short hikes. We stayed in Moab overnight and hit the park as early as possible to do two longer hikes before the heat was intense.

Our trip was Salt Lake City (I lived there when I was little) and Dinosaur NM, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Denver, Colorado Springs/Manitou Springs, Arches, Mesa Verde, Petrified Forest NP, and Grand Canyon south rim. We didn't do any fancy tours, so I can't help you with any of your choices. Whatever you DO choose, I'm sure you will have a FABULOUS vacation!

I spent a lot of time the year before the trip reading online at nps.gov about the various national parks/monuments. Tons of information about hikes, trails, ranger talks, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter