Choosing a Point and Shoot

Just wanted to let you guys know I finally made a camera purchase. After much deliberation I decided to listen to my BIL's advice, since the 3 cameras I narrowed down too were so similar, and go by how they "feel" to me. I had to travel a bit to find one of the models I was looking at, but the trip was worth it. I went with a Pentax K-X. The image quality was great, it felt perfect in my hand, it was very light and small, and I found the menus were the easiest to navigate. My husband said he knew it was the right one for me, because my face lit up when I picked it up. Of course the real kicker is that it comes in many colors and I ordered it from Amazon in purple ($100 cheaper there than the camera shop and in purple!!!!). Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Just wanted to let you guys know I finally made a camera purchase. After much deliberation I decided to listen to my BIL's advice, since the 3 cameras I narrowed down too were so similar, and go by how they "feel" to me. I had to travel a bit to find one of the models I was looking at, but the trip was worth it. I went with a Pentax K-X. The image quality was great, it felt perfect in my hand, it was very light and small, and I found the menus were the easiest to navigate. My husband said he knew it was the right one for me, because my face lit up when I picked it up. Of course the real kicker is that it comes in many colors and I ordered it from Amazon in purple ($100 cheaper there than the camera shop and in purple!!!!). Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Congrats and welcome to the Pentax family :) I am glad to see another color added to our mix here. Most of us picked red. Once you get to using it, feel free to ask as many questions as you like.

Congrats and welcome to the Pentax family :) I am glad to see another color added to our mix here. Most of us picked red. Once you get to using it, feel free to ask as many questions as you like.

Thank you so much! I just found the Pentaxian thread yesterday, so I am sure once it gets here later today I will be full of questions to post there. I was psyched about the purple color, my husband wanted me to get gold or beige colored one so he could order a red grip for it and call it the Iron Man camera.:rotfl:

Hi everyone,

So I finally convinced my DH I need a DSLR for my birthday/Christmas present. I've read and researched and read and shopped and my head is spinning.

Some background: 20+ years ago, I had an SLR, no fancy lenses or anything. Then I had children, and life became easier to carry around a little P&S. But increasingly I am frustrated with the limitations of the P&S, and am ready to get back into a SLR.

Following the advice on these boards, I went and held every camera I could. Although I had been leaning towards a Nikon, I felt like I just couldn't get a good grip on it. The Canon feels much better. I also tried a Sony, which was OK, and have been all over looking for a Pentax, to no avail.

So I guess a Canon it is. I thought I had settled on the XSi, but the price of the T1i is almost the same, so maybe I should get that one? I don't really want video, but maybe if I had it, it would be handy? Or is it just one more thing to potentially breaK in the camera?

Why do you think they are similar in price? Is the XSi holding it's value or is the T1i not holding it's value?

I know you all always want to know what someone will do with the camera: we love to travel, so travel pictures (people, monuments, landscape), pictures of my kids, need a good zoom.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

You did the first step - which is to go hold every one of the cameras. Your sig says your in San Diego. Have you tried going over to Calumet Photo? The web site says there is a store over in

830 W. Valley Parkway
Suite 330
Escondido, CA 92025

The people at my local Calumet Photo let you play around with each camera and shoot with them in the store. Might allow you to dial in your choice.

I would definetely go with the T1i over the XSi. It's got video (which you mentioned) plus other newer features like higher ISO capability and a higher-resolution LCD screen. I've got an XS and although it's a capable little camera the T1i would be the entry level model I'd purchase nowadays.

I'm sure you all get this question weekly but I'm at such a loss.... I Have a sony DSC-H7 I wasn't always happy with the pictures in low light or things like fireworks or stuff at night with lights. Losts of streeking...

I was thinking it was the camera and have now bought a new one a Canon SX30 IS. I like it over all but not happy with the sport setting as I use that alot it blacks out in between shots My old sony just took pic after pic till I took my finger off the trigger.

so here is what I'm looking for a high zoom, and a continues sport setting, easy shooting, good night shots.

I'm looking at the

Panasonic Lumis FZ240 20X, 3 continues shots sports shot
Canon SX30 IS 35X, delayed sports hot
Sony DSH HX1

I have looked at the web site Dpreview it doesn't mean much to me as my photo lingo is nil :)

Thanks for the feed back

I'm going to jump in here, but I'm not an expert in bridge cameras. I did look at the specs of all three. First of all the Canon only has a continuous shoot rate of .6 frames per second or less than one frame per second. That would explain the lag you have described. The Panansonic is just over one per second and the Sony is rated at ten frames per second.

From your description, I'm not quite sure what images you want to capture. Using the automatic modes you will be able to do pretty much anything as long as you have good light. When you don't, then you may have to switch to some of the manual modes. Since on the bridge cameras you have the ability to manually control the functions, I would recommend you learn about the photography triangle of shutter speed, aperture and ISO. There is a book that does a pretty good job of explaining that, Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. If you are going to shoot fireworks at WDW, then I would recommend a tripod and some type of delayed trigger or remote.

Based on the limited knowledge of the type of images you wish to capture, it appears the Sony is closest to your requirements because of the 10 fps. I'm not much for using the preset scene modes (in actuality not at all) so I don't know how well they do in low light. As I stated earlier you may have to switch to a manual or semi-automatic mode to make that work.

Thank you for the info. The most common things we are shooting is kids sport activities, I like the movie modes for dance recitals (low light), Disney of course, then house parties and family evnets. I will go look for that book cause I do think some of the stuggle I'm having is my lack of understand exposure. Still very torn on what to buy it's a lot of money to not be completley happy.

Just looking at the specs of your camera, the only issue I see is the burst rate of .6 fps. Once you understand some of the basics of photography you should be able to take the camera off the "modes" and expand the range of conditions you will be able to shoot in. You don't have the standard P & S camera but one that bridges, hence the name bridge camera, from P & S to DSLR. My advice would be to learn as much as you can with what you own and when you are ready move up to a DSLR. An example of a reasonably priced entry level camera with very good ratings, would be the Pentax Kx w/ the 18-55mm kit lens can be purchased for $499 (black in color, the Kx does come in multiple colors which are slightly more). All the manufacturers have excellent entry level DSLR's at different price points and when you are ready then try them all to find out which one works best for you. When you get the right camera in your hands you will know it.

I have decided I don't like camera shopping .... I think I'm going to return the Canon. Keep my sony DSC - H7. And take the one hour photography lesson at Black's Photography. Till I can find one that I like enough to feel like it's right.

Your Sony is not a bad camera. I would recommend some studying to learn more about photography. That will aid you in the future if you decide to upgrade. Camera technology is constantly evolving. It seems like every camera company is introducing a new DSLR body every year to a year and half. Don't get discouraged about cameras because all they are is a tool. Its the photographer who gets the picture. My DSLR's are four year old technology. Do they still take good images? Yes. Do they have some shortcomings? Yes, but I have learned to get around those. If you ever make the leap to a DSLR, it does get easier, not cheaper, because you buy into a system. Once you start investing in lenses its not cheap to switch manufacturers. All you have to do is wait for your manufacturer to introduce a new body and determine if it is worth it to upgrade. Good luck in your photographic endeavors.

The lessons sound like a good idea. Until you understand why you aren't able to get the shots you want you will more than likely continue to have the same problems regardless of what camera you buy.

Thanks you all for the insight and advice I will let you know how the lesson goes.:goodvibes

Tazicket and I took the following photos as a means to share some special news with our families and friends in a Disney way (crappy photoshopping intentional to help make things more obvious):

5147152228_b8b3010bce_z.jpg

5146550405_9782526d2b_z.jpg

5146545129_9f645e036f_z.jpg

5146550759_63cfb618ab_z.jpg

5146544285_f98fe59b4f_z.jpg

5146547205_8426902daa_z.jpg

:banana::banana::banana:

So little "Nemo" will be due in June, and we'll have an extra passenger with us in a few weeks. We had to cancel our Victoria & Albert's ressie this trip, but we guess the trade off is worth it. ;)

Temporarily named Nemo so we could

a) have a Disney name for the time being and
b) so that all of the sonograms and ultrasounds we'll be finding Nemo :magnify:

So I guess I won't be upgrading to a new K-5 any time soon, or getting many new lenses... but I'm sure I'll take plenty of pictures.

You won't go wrong with one of the Canon SD series cameras. Their smallest ones have a more rectangular squared off body. Those with a few more features are a little larger and more rounded.

Digital camera hints: http://www.cockam.com/digicam.htm

Congratulations!

But I don't think there's a camera yet that both has good image quality and stands up to teething.

Congratulations on the new tadpole on board!

Clever means to announce also. Finding Nemo is also clever. You should have a picture of Sydney Austrailia inconspicuously in the background too.

Congratulations!

But I don't think there's a camera yet that both has good image quality and stands up to teething.

Ha!

Sounds like you'll be needing one of these:

http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st=2620&e=digitalcamera

Congratulations!!!!
:grouphug:
Marlton Mom

photo_chick stands corrected!

Congratulations on the new tadpole on board!

Clever means to announce also. Finding Nemo is also clever. You should have a picture of Sydney Austrailia inconspicuously in the background too.

We didn't come up with Nemo until after the photos were taken, but we are going to be picking up at least one Nemo christmas ornament when we are down in a few weeks. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter