Choosing a Point and Shoot

I am pre-focusing, and they are still blury. I guess you are right about Auto. I had a Canon SD880 before and just LOVED it. Do you know what the best SD is now? Thanks!!!!

Honestly, I haven't met a SD that I didn't like. Canon has just done a great job with that series. They also produce a lot of different models so it's hard to pick out "1" to recommend. LOL. I'd just look for the features you desire and your price points. the new SX looks like a great long-zoom travel camera too.

In photography forums, there's quite often people who post and debate that their P&S takes better photos than their DSLR. There's "some" truth in that. True P&S cameras are set to process and sharpen photos in the most pleasing way possible for "immediate consumption." DSLR (and some high end compacts) don't go as far because the targeted user is expected to post-process.

The s95 seems to shine indoors. Outside shots can get washed out.

Another thought is you might be going into digital zoom. In digital zoom, the camera "guesses" what some pixels should be. That may cause what looks like blurry photos.

I went to DW last October and took my s95. I thought it did a great job. Granted, I'm the kind of person that uses manual settings, and either prints 4x7s or burns slideshows on a dvd. I also work on websites and use Photoshop quite a bit, although I admit I have a hard time judging how an on-screen adjustment will translate to print. I realize a dSLR would do a better job, but I've lugged them around and it's not for me anymore.

Anyway, the only thing I missed was a zoom. The max optical zoom on a s95 is a little over 100 mm. So I have my eye out for a second camera to fill that gap. I have some cash to work with so in contention are the Panasonic fz150 (25-600mm), Canon sx40 is (24mm-840mm), and Sony hx100v (27-810mm). All of these are around $400, but have incredible zoom. Granted the photo quality is like a point and shoot, but I'm OK with that. I'm also considering the Sony hx9v; not as much zoom, but a nice wide lens (24-384mm), more pocketable, and about $100 less.

Anyway, the only thing I missed was a zoom. The max optical zoom on a s95 is a little over 100 mm. So I have my eye out for a second camera to fill that gap. I have some cash to work with so in contention are the Panasonic fz150 (25-600mm), Canon sx40 is (24mm-840mm), and Sony hx100v (27-810mm). All of these are around $400, but have incredible zoom. Granted the photo quality is like a point and shoot, but I'm OK with that. I'm also considering the Sony hx9v; not as much zoom, but a nice wide lens (24-384mm), more pocketable, and about $100 less.

I bought the Canon SX40 HS when it was released. I am VERY pleased with it!!!

Here are a few pics straight out of the camera, no PP.

moon008.jpg

UpstatePA2011149.jpg

test040.jpg

ZaneandMichaelabday006.jpg

Here is a full digital zoom just to show the reach. First pic, see the field in the middle of the pic? There is a little finger of green at the upper right hand side. The elk where there. Not the best pic, you do lose quality at full zoom, and I had no tripod. But, I am happy with what I got. I did do a little PP on the elk.

UpstatePA2011068-2.jpg

UpstatePA2011076-2.jpg

The s95 really shines because of it's sensor size, flexibility (RAW), and manual control. Chances are, if you're the type of shooter who just leaves it in AUTO, then you're probably better off with the SDxxx series. I usually recommend the Canon SD series (or even budget A series) to people who truly need a point-n-click.

As for blurry, 2 things;
1) watch your shutter speed. AUTO won't choose a good shutter speed if the flash is disabled.
2) Make sure you half-press the trigger to focus BEFORE you fully press it down. A lot of people don't pre-focus, and just fully press the trigger. The camera can't focus fast enough quite often and will just look like a blur (but really it's out-of-focus).

Dull:
Shoot RAW and get a good editing program. It's fun to play around and bring your photos back to life.
Here's one quick and dirty example. The "blur in the people is because of the slow shutter (1/30).

Before
687EE76D4430414A8CF812170A3E3D10.jpg

After some HDR processing
2E14F90968F54179AB7E8CEF92F90305.jpg

just wanted to say even on a typical fall day our city looks beautiful!:thumbsup2 Chicago architecture offers some amazing opportunities.

So i've been looking at several point and shoots and action cameras for family vacations. I see a lot of recommendations for the Canon g7x Mark ii. It's about $100 out of my price range, but the image quality, great auto-focus, and image stabilization look amazing. Should I splurge on it or settle for a cheaper camera. Was looking at the Gopro Hero 5, but seems to have limited uses. Main use will be for family vacations of course. Catching video and pics of my daughter as she experiences the parks and other family trips. Low-light performance is important for me, because I have this idea for a video of her watching Happily Ever After for the first time. Like a side by side video of her reactions and the show right beside it. Just a thought.

So i've been looking at several point and shoots and action cameras for family vacations. I see a lot of recommendations for the Canon g7x Mark ii. It's about $100 out of my price range, but the image quality, great auto-focus, and image stabilization look amazing. Should I splurge on it or settle for a cheaper camera. Was looking at the Gopro Hero 5, but seems to have limited uses. Main use will be for family vacations of course. Catching video and pics of my daughter as she experiences the parks and other family trips. Low-light performance is important for me, because I have this idea for a video of her watching Happily Ever After for the first time. Like a side by side video of her reactions and the show right beside it. Just a thought.

There is a reason this thread has been dead for many years.
For the most part, for most people and most uses, a good smart phone will beat a point and shoot camera.
A camera like the Canon G7xii does give you slightly more zoom range than an iPhone 8+ for example. It is capable of slightly higher image quality than a good smart phone, if used properly (understanding the manual settings, processing raw files). For those simply clicking and getting a final image, an iphone will produce better photos.

A camera like the G7xii will be more capable of shooting action than a smart phone --- if properly using manual settings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter