Christmas time is here....almost! A December 2018 PTR (Final thoughts)

321 days till our trip
142 days till we can book dining
262 days till we can book fast passes

8 quick services:

1,2,&3) Hubby likes breakfast, me not so much, so he will most likely go to pepper market and get some form of breakfast our sleep in days and check out morning

4&5) BOG lunch

6) Pizza Rizzo for snack before fantasmic or 1st thing Saturday (bonus, they have alcohol!)

7) Meal from pepper market for after MVMCP

8) Something in Epcot for lunch the first day (substituted with snacks around the world) Maybe Yorkshire fish and chips or Tangerine cafe

So…time to change this!

After my colleague got back from WDW she was telling me how the new dinning plan works and how they had so many alcoholic choices with their QS that I thought I would compile a list of all the QS with alcohol and then use that as a “guide” for where to use our QS credits as TS seem to be good. Well, you can imagine how much work I thought that was going to be, until I saw the search button and wouldn’t you know another GREAT Dis-er already started to compile this list, so major thanks @Andysol !!!

https://www.disboards.com/threads/quick-service-alcohol-selections.3656989/

So, preliminary plan based on this:

1- Now hubby will just pay OOP or eat a granola bar because he is as cheap as I am and if the drink choice is between coffee and beer we will pick beer!

2- We share well and a lot of times find we just get 1 QS to hold us over and share a quick drink before going to the next place

3- I did it in October and will do it again, a few small Tupperware containers in by park bag for food for later, drinks for then. Example- I am sure before Fantasmic since I will not have eaten in 4 hours we could swing by ABC Commissary and grab a shrimp platter and Happy Daze drink, whatever I don’t eat gets put in Tupperware and becomes my post show snack **=P**

Wednesday (Epcot)-

(1) QS at either La Cantina de San Angel (thinking nachos and a Margarita sound like a great way to start vacation) or Yorkshire County Fish Shop (because Harp takes me back to my study abroad) depending on which way we go

Thursday (AK)

Breakfast (well 11am breakfast)

(1 QS) *Flame tree BBQ pulled pork mac and cheese and a safari amber or mandarin orange vodka lemonade

And/ or

*Pizzafari flatbread and beer or vodka

Then

(2 QS) at Satu'li Canteen . Some Pods or a bowl and a Hawkes Grog Ale or Sangria, with most likely packing up the pods for pre MVMHP snack :dogdance:

Friday (HS)

(1QS) ABC Commissary and grab a shrimp platter and Happy Daze drink for Fantasmic

Saturday (HS)

(1QS) Min & Bills Dockside Diner for the breakfast of champions at 11am, nachos! Seems like if we are going all out a Long Island Iced Tea would go great with that!

Might have to use (1 QS) for Sommerfest for a bratwurst as my DH loves them, but as long as I get my Selbach-Oster Riesling with it I am ok with that :p

Sunday- We will have to see how many QS and snacks we have left

I am perfectly happy to go to HS or Epcot after brunch Sunday before we have to leave for a few pre-flight beverages, maybe a QS meal to bring on the plane for dinner, and use those snack credits in Germany or the confectionary shop! Let’s be honest, nothing tastes better than those backlot express nuggets to help fight the flight home blues! Guess this will be based on credits left and how important MK seems after already being there a few times this week.

Last edited:
What a great plan! I actually have a list of where I would want to eat if we get the free DDP for TS, snacks, and QS. But it didn’t occur to me to also to do a list of what I would want to get for alcoholic drinks! Thanks for sharing that.

313 days till our trip
133 days till we can book dining
253 days till we can book fast passes

Second draft complete, for now….

I think DH and I decided that we really loved the Nomad lounge so if we don’t make it to Tiffin’s that would be ok. We will definitely stop at the lounge for a Jennifer’s Tattoo and a charcuterie board!

upload_2018-2-2_10-4-19.png

In other news....
IM GOING TO WDW FOR A SOLO TRIP 3/21-3/24!!!!
I just accepted a new job and they have a conference in Orlando I should go to and it was actually cheaper for me to stay at CBR (I know construction, but its a quick trip!) and uber to the conference then stay at that resort. EXTRA bonus, all I have to pay for is my park tickets, so cheapest Disney trip ever!!!
Now to start planning that....

Last edited:
SOLO trip update:

43 days to go!

Leave Wednesday March 21 at 6pm, get to MCO at 1230am (2 hr layover in NYC). Magical express to CBR by 130 hopefully, crash! Im in a pirate room (it was the cheapest!) yarrrrr!

Thursday March 22

Be at rope drop at MK at 9am.

9am-1015-ish: splash, BTMR, haunted mansion, splash as many times as I can!!

FP 1015-1115: Big Thunder Mountain Railroad

Lunch at pecos bills, have always wanted to try it (but open to other suggestions not BOG)

FP 1115-1215: Space Mountain

FP 1225-125: Splash Mountain

130-230, back to hotel to change (see how wet I am from splash. I am thinking of bringing a change of clothes in a ziplock in my park bag to help prevent a trip back to the hotel) or over to Epcot, see about 4th FP

230-430 epcot F&G fest (see question below!)

430-530 bus to AK

530-630 safari FP or wait in line (with a beer)

630-7 uber to HS

730 fp TOT or RcRC (hopefully)

830pm- Fantasmic

Friday March 23

Conference (the whole reason I am going) till 4-ish

5pm Sanna reservation, bread and wine flight, yummmmm

Wander around resort after and use night vision goggles/ animal watch

730-ish Uber to Contemporary or Bus to MK and walk over

8pm California Grill- I am hoping to just go to the lounge and see HEA at 9am from the look out, I do have a 855pm reservation for 1 but not sure if I want to eat that late and/or sit there by myself at that time where I think the lounge for a cocktail and dessert or some of that amazing sushi might be more worth it an hour before….

Saturday March 24th

Checkout 7am- bus to AK

AK EMH 8-9am (dino, everest, safari- I did FOP 4x in October, not sure I want to fight the crowds to do it again)

FP 9:10 AM - 10:10 AM Kilimanjaro Safaris

FP 10:15 AM - 11:15 AM Expedition Everest

Try for 11am nemo show standby, otherwise….

FP 11:30 AM - 11:45 AM Finding Nemo - The Musical (throw away if possible)

Bus to epcot

Try for 4th FP for spaceship or frozen, or wait if slow enough line. Nemo and friends, eat around the world

3pm Leave epcot

Tragical express 4-ish

Flight home (direct this time) 715pm

So, big questions:

1) What to eat at F&G fest? They just released the menus and everything looks amazing!

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-world/epcot/flower-garden-festival.htm#dining

2) Would you try for all 4 parks in one day on Thursday or not?

3) Do you think I will be able to just walk up to California grill and go do the lounge or should I keep my 855 reservation and just watch the fireworks then eat?

15 days till my solo trip, eek!
No major updates on December trip, still waiting for Jet Blue to release the dates to buy airfare.

On my solo trip, i made a food list. Its a little long, but I will be there for 2 afternoons and if I don't get to something, i don't get to it.

F&G fest food wish list::flower3:
  • The Berry Basket-
    • Twinings® Green Tea Berry Mint Julep
  • The Honey Bee-stro Hosted by National Honey Board-
    • Honey-Peach Cobbler Freeze with Blueberry Vodka
  • La Isla Fresca - World Showcase Promenade
    • Sugar Cane Shrimp Skewer with Steamed Rice and Coconut Lime Sauce
    • Tropical Freeze with Cruzan Mango Rum
  • Bauernmarkt: Farmer’s Market – Germany
    • Potato Pancake with Caramelized Ham, Onions and Herb Sour Cream
    • Toasted Pretzel Bread topped with Black Forest Ham and Melted Gruyère Cheese
    • Warm Cheese Strudel with Mixed Berries
  • Primavera Kitchen – Italy
    • Ravioli: Maine Lobster Ravioli with Vodka Sauce
  • THE SMOKEHOUSE: Barbecue and Brews - The American Adventure
    • Beef Brisket Burnt Ends Hash with White Cheddar Fondue and Pickled Jalapeños
    • Frozen Lemonade with Firefly Blackberry Moonshine
  • Hanami – Japan
    • Frushi: Fresh Pineapple, Strawberry and Melon rolled with Coconut Rice, sprinkled with Toasted Coconut and Whipped Cream with Raspberry Sauce on the side
· Taste of Marrakesh

o Fried Cauliflower with Capers, Garlic Parsley and Chili Ranch Sauce

• Fleur de Lys – France
    • Macaron au Chocolat en Sucette: Large Chocolate Macaron Lollipop
    • La Vie en Rose Frozen Slushy: Grey Goose Orange, St. Germain Liqueur, White and Red Cranberry Juice
  • Cider House - United Kingdom
    • Freshly Baked Lemon Scone with Crème Fraîche and Mixed Berries
    • Cider Flight:
      • McKenzie’s Black Cherry Hard Cider, West Seneca, NY
      • Florida Beer Company Caribé Pineapple Tropical Hard Cider, Cape Canaveral, FL
Ciderboys Grand Mimosa Apple Orange Hard Cider, Stevens Point, WI

Im sure I will get to all the alcohol, the food :rolleyes1

Solo trip was GREAT!! I did have to make changes 48 hours prior because of a winter storm, but as it was just me that was not too hard and since this was for a work conference they gave me an extra day off, woot!

It was nice to be able to make plans on the fly and just do what I wanted and not have to check with anyone, but it was a little lonely. I found myself noticing a lot of the little details, but also on my phone a lot chatting with people from home which I almost never do when at the parks with my DH as I want to live in the moment. I did wait in 2 waiting lines that my husband would never wait for (7 dwarfs and peter pan) and honestly—he is right. I’m glad I saw them but totally not worth the wait, we will FP those.

Now….back to the regularly scheduled program

246 days till our trip
67 days till we can book dinning
187 days till we can book fast passes

JET BLUE OPENED OUR BOOKING WINDOW!!! Finally!

I had to do some finagling but was able to get me and my husband nonstop round trip flights for $293 total! It required the use of some points I have and to book 2 separate reservations, but we are on the same flights and have seats next to each other so I’m happy! One less thing on the To Do List.

Next- dinning in 67 days, when did that get so close?

We know the 4 table services we will use, thus I will try to get in 67 days (Ohana, California Grill Brunch, Mama Melrose fantasmic package) but still thinking about quick services…I know I don’t need reservations but like to have a plan. I saw an article about the new toy story land quick service and that looks interesting, so might spend a quick service credit on that, but will see more reviews when we get closer. I did the fantasmic dessert package on my solo trip and loved that, so might not use Mama Melrose, but if not where else would we eat? Guess I have 67 days to think about that

Random thoughts/questions:

1) Memory maker- we have gotten this both times before, but they were much longer trips. Truthfully I think I have enough photos of us for right now and made my husband stop at almost every photographer last time. Your thoughts? I thought I read that if you ask they will take a photo with your camera, and I have friends who have just snapped a picture from the MDE app, the funny bubble words are there but for general experience, I’m not sure it’s worth the $169 for 5 days.

2) What shows are must sees with only this amount of time? My husband and I were talking the other day and he mentioned he was upset we didn’t see the Nemo show at AK this past trip. (I clearly remember telling him we could get in line but he wanted to go on Everest instead, but I digress) I enjoy shows and they are a great little break time, but with only a few days I don’t want to fill up on large blocks of time occupied.

3) We have not been back to Disney Springs since 2016. We had a terrible experience there and got lost and it was a terrible way to start the trip that year. Any reasons why we HAVE to go back? Anyone have any MUST DO’s there?

4) Since we will be there for the holidays should we try to make more time for hotel decoration hopping and things like the candle light processions, jingle bell, jingle, blame ct. Has anyone been to these and have a favorite?

1) I fee the same way. As far as I know you can still hand the Photopass people your camera to do a shot with. They are never as good but if you already have plenty of shot and don't feel it's worth the $ then this can be a good alternative.
2)Nemo is literally the Best Show right now.
3) We had a terrible experience back in 2013 and now my Hubby doesn't want to try it (DS) again. I would like to hit a few shops and have a friend who works there that I would like to visit thought, so I MIGHT go without him.
4) Can't wait to see your decorating plans!

180 days till our trip
0 days till we can book dining
120 days till we can book fast passes

Well, doing a ½ happy dance.

· Was able to get the Jiko wine tasting we wanted. I was worried as when I checked the previous 8 weeks it was fully booked and the first day I could make reservations was for a Wednesday, the only day it’s offered. But all the worrying was for nothing as I was easily able to snag a spot for 2- so happy dance!! Another thing off the bucket list! :dogdance:

· Was able to get a reservation for Sanna, not that it was a worry, but earliest is 630. I really wanted 5pm, so that way we could just finish the wine tasting and take the internal transfer over to the Kadini village from Jambo house. I am wondering if there is something that is taking the entire eating area from 5-630 or if they just haven’t released the earlier times. Either way, if we have to we will just eat in the lounge, we really just want the wine flights and bread service. But, I will keep checking for openings

· Got the Morimoto and Wine bar George reservations I wanted. I was not worried about getting them for the times I wanted, but I was a little worried about....

· Mama Melrose. I got it, for the fantasmic lunch package, but I hate how I had to do it. If I put just the 2 of us, the latest time they had was 135pm. When I said there would be 3 of us I was able to get 255pm. After having a lunch at 1130 I wanted the latest time possible, so I did the doink :headache: thing and said there will be 3 of us well knowing there will only be 2. I hate having to cheat the system like this, and I understand why they have them set up the way that they do, but it makes me feel scummy that I have to lie. However, another happy dance!:yay:

· Ohana….ohana ohana ohana. Got it, but for 940 on Saturday night- who truly eats that late? I knew this would be the hardest, so it was the one I booked right at 6am today, but a little disappointed with the time. I know some people can’t even get a time so I should be happy I even have a reservation, I just don’t think my DH will be happy to eat that late. I signed up for reservation alerts with touring plans for them to help me check for any earlier time and I will probably check daily so there is a chance that will be moved, but I’m not sure what to do IF we can get any earlier. That day we are doing HS fp’s, then boat to epcot for holiday showcase and candle light processional, then the plan was ohana dinner and HEA from beach. Now I don’t know if we can’t change the time if we can say to watch illuminations and just be a little late, or watch HEA from beach then eat….only time will tell.

· Was able to get the California grill brunch for our last day there. DH is supper excited for this. Again, I was worried as it seemed to be totally full for like 6 weeks prior when checking earlier this week, but that was the 3rd thing I booked this am and wanted 11am, got 1055- I’ll take it! Happy dance!:cool1:

So all in all not a bad hull for getting up at 430, driving to my office to do this (my ipad at home does not like the WDW site so didn’t want to chance technical difficulties) then getting my starbucks and starting my normal day :surfweb:

Last edited:
We will be at WDW staying at Kidani Dec 11-19. Like you we just passed our 180 day mark and was super stoked we were able to get the ADR’s needed.

Glad to see your plans coming along too. We have some similar tastes too as we also booked MM, Saana and Jiko

So....still cant get Saana for any earlier then 6pm. Mentioned this to DH and he states "why cant we eat at the park?" Well there's an idea! I am all for Tiffins and was able to book us a 525 reservation, woot! Then DH looks at menu and says "im not sure I like anything there...." What? Are you kidding? MERP! So now booked for Yak and Yeti at 6pm- the menu looks good and its near everest which is what we will be going to that park to ride in the dark (my favorite ride in the dark!) Has anyone eaten there? Just wondering how generic it is, maybe you can give me something to convince DH Tiffins would be better :thumbsup2

125 days till our trip
65 days till we can book fast passes

Personal update- WE ARE GOING TO DISNEYLAND IN MARCH 2019!!!!!!! I have a conference in Las Vegas friday-monday and because it’s over a weekend my job doesn't expect me back till the following monday (I will have "worked" 4 days over a weekend so I get tuesday-friday off) and DL is only a $49 flight away, so I will fly from there and my DH will make the cross country treck by himself that tuesday. I was able to find an awesome flight/ hotel deal with Jet Blue for him, and able to pay for my flight back with my credit card points. (Anyone keeping track that means in the 10 months I have had this credit card it has never carried a balance but has given me round trip ticket to MCO, a one way Portland to Syracuse trip, and now one way cross country from LGB, I HIGHLY recommend jet blue credit card!)

DL is soooooo different as far as planning, I mean I cant really do a PTR for it as hotel and flights are booked and other then waiting for 60 days out to make some dining reservations everything else is same day- its killer for my Type AA personality.

As far as this current PTR here is our working timeline- lots of food, but some are just drinks and apps types of stops. Still working on moving up ‘Ohana, and the website that sends you alerts when they are available has sent me 3 but I have been too slow all 3 times to get them. Oh well, keep on trying!

upload_2018-8-9_13-41-9.png

113 days till our trip
53 days till we can book fast passes

I AM A BELIEVER!!!!

That site that sends you alerts when your reservation is available (I feel like on other boards I have seen you can’t say the name so I will just call it T******P***’s) has sent me 2 in the past 2 weeks and I got them both!!! So now we have reservations for ‘Ohana at 330pm, 7 pm, 940pm- and here is the dilemma. (Yes, as soon as I figure this out I will drop the other 2, and post in December canceled ADR’s so someone else can get them)

So do we:

1) Adjust plans to leave HS and go to ‘Ohana at 330, eat, and then go to Epcot for candlelight processional (5, 645, 815) and Illuminations (930)

Pros: being able to walk off dinner after, being able to get in all the epcot holiday festivities, works a little better into plans, less running around

Cons: Early dinner, might have to skip woodys lunchbox to be sure to have enough appetite for all the foods, eating at 330 is a little weird

2) Go from HS to Epcot, try to catch the 5pm candlelight processional, head to ‘Ohana for 7pm dinner, then either watch HEA from beach or table based on where we are sitting/how late restaurant is running at 7pm.

Pros: Might get to watch HEA from table, normal eating time

Cons: Rushing after CP to ‘Ohana, might not have HEA visible table so trying to rush to get outside, fighting crowds to get bus/boat after to get to MK so we can get bus home

3) Keep 940 pm, already have gone to HS, epcot to see CP, watch HEA (9pm) from the beach then go up for dinner then home to sleep.

Pros: Able to see and do all before without having to move plans

Cons: If they run behind eating dinner at like 10pm or later, full belly sleeping, indigestion, still being full the next am for our California Brunch, having to take a taxi home.

Input appreciated, or if you need a reservation for 12/15 and I can help you out let me know, after you give me some input:rolleyes1

upload_2018-9-26_8-16-59.png
77 days till our trip
17 days till we can book fast passes

Dining Finalized! We ended up keeping the ‘Ohana 335 reservation so we have less back and forth and time to digest. We will just share an entree at woodys lunchbox to save room for all the yummmmm’s of ‘Ohana! I also bought the Landrys select club in case we get to Yak and Yeti and it’s busy, I figure with both my club membership and a reservation we should be seated near time, fingers crossed! Plus I get the $25 back the first purchase (and we were gonna pay for this meal OOP) so it was free essentially. Has anyone else ever done this?

Otherwise just finalizing FP plans for 7 am Saturday 10/13. Our home computer is on the fritz and I don’t always trust my Ipad, so I will be in the office at 645 am on a Saturday :guilty:

What do you think of these?

12/12- Epcot, then AK and EMH at MK

Turtle talk
Spaseship Earth
Frozen
Hopefully bonus FP for Everest before or after dinner

12/13- AK then MVMCP

Everest
Safari
FOP

12/14-HS

Slinky (if not TSM)
ToT
RnRC

12/15- HS then Epcot

Slinky (If not TSM)
ToT
RnRc

12/16 MK

Splash
Space
Haunted Mansion

Following along! Your Fast Pass choices look good. My only advice is if you really want SDD and FOP then try to grab those 1st. I made mine a few weeks ago and the FP system was so glitchy. I'm still trying to play around with some times on some of them, but am thankful I got them at all causer I know some people weren't even able to secure any that day because of the glitches. :(

Glad you got your ADRs. You asked about Yak&Yeti. I ate there with my friend in June 2016 and it was delicious!!!! I have picky eaters in my family so I made sure to eat there with my friend when we went.

Your plans look great, and I'm super jealous of your solo trip. Something that I have always wanted to do. We plan to get Annual Passes during our April 2019 trip so I may squeeze in a solo trip at some point from April 2019-April 2020!!

65 days till our trip
5 days till we can book fast passes

Paid off the trip today, woot! Did the whole add a gift card at a time,45 cards and 20 min later I was done- but I saved $90 that way- more money for drinks! Also started to play with the updated website and at one point it was going to let me book fast passes but then it crashed. Makes me a little concerned for Saturday but we will find out I guess.
Otherwise today is my birthday, woot! Hubby was too cute and got me the Cinderella Gus and Jaq TOMS, so I am excited to wear those on the trip! (Our older dog's name is Gus so its fitting) I also have a pair of light up sneakers, that are actually comfortable, that I plan to pack for the trip as well. It's never too late to start packing, right? So if you are there at the same time and see an adult with light up shoes- they blink in patterns, feel free to say hi!

65 days till our trip
5 days till we can book fast passes

Paid off the trip today, woot! Did the whole add a gift card at a time,45 cards and 20 min later I was done- but I saved $90 that way- more money for drinks! Also started to play with the updated website and at one point it was going to let me book fast passes but then it crashed. Makes me a little concerned for Saturday but we will find out I guess.
Otherwise today is my birthday, woot! Hubby was too cute and got me the Cinderella Gus and Jaq TOMS, so I am excited to wear those on the trip! (Our older dog's name is Gus so its fitting) I also have a pair of light up sneakers, that are actually comfortable, that I plan to pack for the trip as well. It's never too late to start packing, right? So if you are there at the same time and see an adult with light up shoes- they blink in patterns, feel free to say hi!
Happy Birthday!! :bday:

Capture.PNG
58 days till WDW!!

Didn't get everything I wanted on FP day, but will make the best of it. Very disappointed that we couldn't get Slinky or FOP especially when it's a low crowd time, but we have done FOP and might attempt the wait for Slinky. Also a little worried about the Frozen FP the first day, we have to be at animal kingdom lodge at 245 for the wine tasting, so going to keep trying to move that up. Overall I am sure we will have a good time, I've just never experienced a FP day before that I felt like I didn't get anything I wanted. Going to take a note from someone I follow on the boards here and say "It's Okay" and just enjoy being there rather then dwell on not getting what I wanted. ALSO, if we don't get to do Slinky now, might be the reason I use when justifying to DH why we have to do a bounce back when there
:shamrock:

Plans look good. Keep trying to modify your Fast Passes. I was only able to grab a late one for Mine Train on our first MK day and I kept looking and was finally able to change it to an earlier time. Also check the day before and of, a lot of people end up changing around their plans so times may open it.

Update- Was able to modify that first day frozen to 140pm, now no worried about missing my wine tasting!! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter