Cinderella's New Look

ArthurFiggis said:
You want to talk about objectification? How about Snow White's prince--doesn't even have a name. Phillip and Charming are pieces of wood that barely talk. Fathers are totally absent or blithering fools. The men who do talk are full of themselves or grovelling sidekicks. Plus, they don't even get toys, and you can't seem them at the parks except for special events. Except for the thief and the violent animal, of course. /rant

At least they get to be alive. The mothers are all dead, missing or wicked. LOL!

baler31 said:
You can find out by looking at the ad you posted, it clearly lists the sizes available. JR sizes, 3-5 is a jr size not a standard size for children unless listed as toddler sizes which they are not.

Regardless of where you saw them displayed they are not available nor intended for children.

My daughter is 13 and the tallest in her class at 5'7" and a junior small is far too large for her.

My apologies . . . Evidently our Party City was confused too. They're still tacky! But I'm glad to know they aren't intended for 7 year olds.

I think this is getting way off topic. The point is the princess's should look like they do in the movies. Would it be OK to make rigger purple or Peter pans costume blue??

tcp0421 said:
I think this is getting way off topic. The point is the princess's should look like they do in the movies. Would it be OK to make rigger purple or Peter pans costume blue??

IMO the new park outfits DO look like they do in the movies. The new cartoon versions that are on all the new new merchandise - not so much.

rebeccaariel said:
IMO the new park outfits DO look like they do in the movies. The new cartoon versions that are on all the new new merchandise - not so much.

I think the new costumes are stunning. You are right not so much the merchandise. IMO I don't think they ( in the park princess's ) look trashy or anything negative. Just wished they would have left them be.

I don't like it :( She looks like Barbie. A little too ****ty for my taste. I like my Disney princesses classic! Just make her look like she does in the movie! Eventually they will all look like those super-creepy warped Bratz!

marielynn724 said:
I don't like it :( She looks like Barbie. A little too ****ty for my taste. I like my Disney princesses classic! Just make her look like she does in the movie! Eventually they will all look like those super-creepy warped Bratz!

Even though I do think the dresses are very pretty I do wish they would keep them the way they are in the movies.

Went to the Disney Store today and must say the dolls don't look right. My mom an I were on line looking at the dolls and commenting on how awful they looked. They looked cheap and just not right. Some also looked kind of creepy.

That being said, I don't think the changes are too bad to the images of them. I am 17, turning 18 in less than 4 months, and I grew up with the older looks and am exposed to the newer ones at a young age to live with the rest of my life. Besides some of the hair choices, i think the new looks aren't too bad.

Now for all these "sexual pose" comments:: really? I guarentee you half the songs your child listens to on the radio refers to more sexual things than the poses of the princess'. Go listen to a One Direction song ("people going all the way", "tonight lets get some", "when he lies you down i just might die inside", "shut the door turn the lights off..i wannt feel your love..trembling hands touch skin", "theres a pile of my clothes at the end of your bed", from the way that we touch to the way that you kiss on me") and say you are okay with those lyrics but are appalled by Belle looking over her shoulder (which she has done for the past few years btw).. And those just lyrics from SOME of the songs from THE FIRST album from ONE DIRECTION (excapt for one lyric), a group that is selling dolls and shirts just like the princess' are. (Note I did not listen to the second album yet to comment on it).

I find it hippocratical that the new designs of the princess' are getting grief for their poses (I will agree some of the hair is too much but the dresses and the poses aren't bad) meanwhile children are listening to songs with many sexual references and their parents are okay with that.

Thats just my two sense. If your going to judge the way a princess looks, then judge singers on what their lyrics say. Look at Justin Bieber, One Direction, Katy Perry, and the new Taylor Swift lyrics and see what your children are exposed to in pop culture. Then come back to the "sexual" poses. They aren't very sexual or provacative at all. Especially when compared to the words children are listening to every day and are becoming impressionable on. And this is coming from an (almost) 18 year old girl.

Went to the Disney Store today and must say the dolls don't look right. My mom an I were on line looking at the dolls and commenting on how awful they looked. They looked cheap and just not right. Some also looked kind of creepy.

That being said, I don't think the changes are too bad to the images of them. I am 17, turning 18 in less than 4 months, and I grew up with the older looks and am exposed to the newer ones at a young age to live with the rest of my life. Besides some of the hair choices, i think the new looks aren't too bad.

Now for all these "sexual pose" comments:: really? I guarentee you half the songs your child listens to on the radio refers to more sexual things than the poses of the princess'. Go listen to a One Direction song ("people going all the way", "tonight lets get some", "when he lies you down i just might die inside", "shut the door turn the lights off..i wannt feel your love..trembling hands touch skin", "theres a pile of my clothes at the end of your bed", from the way that we touch to the way that you kiss on me") and say you are okay with those lyrics but are appalled by Belle looking over her shoulder (which she has done for the past few years btw).. And those just lyrics from SOME of the songs from THE FIRST album from ONE DIRECTION (excapt for one lyric), a group that is selling dolls and shirts just like the princess' are. (Note I did not listen to the second album yet to comment on it).

I find it hippocratical that the new designs of the princess' are getting grief for their poses (I will agree some of the hair is too much but the dresses and the poses aren't bad) meanwhile children are listening to songs with many sexual references and their parents are okay with that.

Thats just my two sense. If your going to judge the way a princess looks, then judge singers on what their lyrics say. Look at Justin Bieber, One Direction, Katy Perry, and the new Taylor Swift lyrics and see what your children are exposed to in pop culture. Then come back to the "sexual" poses. They aren't very sexual or provacative at all. Especially when compared to the words children are listening to every day and are becoming impressionable on. And this is coming from an (almost) 18 year old girl.

well, considering the disney company admits the target audience for princess products are ages 3-5, I do consider the poses overly sexualized.
To answer your question, my daughter is not allowed any of that music. My kids aren't really allowed to listen to much modern pop because the lyrics are not appropriate (let alone the fact that everyone is autotuned and vapid). I don't even let them watch any of the disney channel shows, for that matter.(except for the cartoons).

I don't let my kids look at fashion magazines, either, since these types of victoria secret posings are bad for girls self image. But, to each his own, and everyone gets to make their own parenting choices.
A lot of us look to Disney because (except for their television "tween" department), they tend to respect the innocence of children.

I'm still extremely confused as to what is sexual about the new costumes. They cover the same amount as the old ones, they barely look different. The new animated ones, while ugly in my opinion, are certainly not sexual. Would you prefer the dolls be dressed in floor length skirts and turtlenecks? I'm not sure how any of the changes make the princesses any more sexualized than they were before, and I don't think they were sexual to begin with.

awoogala said:
well, considering the disney company admits the target audience for princess products are ages 3-5, I do consider the poses overly sexualized.
To answer your question, my daughter is not allowed any of that music. My kids aren't really allowed to listen to much modern pop because the lyrics are not appropriate (let alone the fact that everyone is autotuned and vapid). I don't even let them watch any of the disney channel shows, for that matter.(except for the cartoons).

I don't let my kids look at fashion magazines, either, since these types of victoria secret posings are bad for girls self image. But, to each his own, and everyone gets to make their own parenting choices.
A lot of us look to Disney because (except for their television "tween" department), they tend to respect the innocence of children.

I commend you for not allowing your children to listen to that music or watch those shows. It drives me nuts that children are listening and watching these things. When i was these kids' ages i was watching Tommy Pickles and the House of Mouse (I still watch these, on VHS tapes of course); now they are watching floating talking bras on iCarly and listening to songs talking about sex and hooking up with somebody. Granted, they dont know what they mean, but still. My thirteen year old cousin just informed me she wanted to see Project X.. I had to tell my aunt what it is about-needless to say she will not be watching the movie.

I think for most people it will just take some getting used to. The looks could be quite more provicative than they are. The dolls do look horrendous though. We all just have to see how the future plays out. They may go back to the original style one day. While I do agree they should not have changed the structures of the faces to look different, I still do not find the poses or the dressed too sexual or provocative. Especially compared to those Monster High or Winx dolls I see all over the place.

On another note:: I may actually use your quote about innocence for my research paper for my english class if you do not mind. My whole essay is on how modern fairytales compare to the originals by the Grimm Brothers and how they are now sensitizing children conpared to then. My thesis mentions the preservation of innocence and i think this would be a perfect quote:)

I see nothing wrong with the changes to the gown. Personally I believe it matches closer what we see in the transformation in the movie.

A silver shining blue gown that closely matches what was seen in the movie at the Fairy God Mothers transformation. The previous gown seems to be more blue and less shiny and shimmering. All the basic elements are there.

Id actually like to see some of the more informal costumes worn in the parks.

I see nothing wrong with the costumes for little girls. My daughter has been Tinkerbell the past three years. This year she wanted to be a princess Her choice of princess was Aurora "Because she has a pink gown daddy".

Comparing the outfits from the movie to the parks to the one she wore bought from Walmart they are all similar in style. My wife and I very nearly bought the one available at Disneyland when we were there but our daughter stated she liked the Walmart one better.

Granted the Walmart costume was less formal and expensive but it had more pink and the gloves to go with it that our daughter preferred. If my daughter wants to be a princess I like her to have the best but I also like her to be happy. I see nothing sexualized about any of the children's costumes. My wife and I are not big fans of the dolls nor is our daughter because "They just don't look like the princesses daddy".

The fact is that there are several variations to the gowns and costumes all of the princesses wear throughout the year based upon season, location the princesses are in the parks, geographical region, occasion, and other factors. All of the variations are representative of the true spirit of the character. I happen to believe that the current gown is quite beautiful.

Cinderella has a new gown, after-all she is a princess and we do know that princesses love their gowns and showing them off for all to see. Over the years I have seen many variations of the gowns from all of the princesses. The most consistent has been Princess Jasmine.

I think a lot of the real issues people have with these changes are buried deep deep down somewhere.

After reading deeper into this thread and comparing closely the pictures that were provided and elsewhere on the net I have come to this conclusion.

The new Cinderella is nothing more than a more refined modernized Cinderella as are the other characters. I would instantly recognize her anywhere as Cinderella. My daughter would LOVE her gown and she would still be at the top of my favorites list.

As far as I know Belle has always had beautiful thick long dark hair. That has always been one of her best features. Belle being one of my favorites he hair being one of my favorite features I haven't got any problem with it being a bit longer and thicker.

As far as the sexiness is concerned being a man in his early 40s and who has a young daughter with intimate knowledge of the princesses I see nothing wrong here. Our children see much worse on a daily basis the updating of the Disney Princesses is the least of my worries. Disney does a great job of keeping things family friendly.

My daughter is just now getting into the Princesses. She really likes Princess Aurora as I stated in the previous post. We are super excited about the new Fantasyland opening up at Walt Disney World. Saw part of it on our last trip in October. We really like what they did with Dumbo our daughters favorite ride at the Magic Kingdom.

The huge factor that I think most are missing here is the opening of the New Fantasyland at the Magic Kingdom.

It makes a lot of sense that Disney is updating the Princesses to coincide with the Fantasyland opening. With Belle and Ariels or should I say Prince Adam and Erics Castles and the Enchanted Forrest opening up next month introducing new gowns and updated hair and accessories is a given. Besides that Disney would naturally like to make the older princesses more attractive and updated for younger girls and teenagers. It is 2012 isn't it?

I haven't got a single issue with any of the updates. But please do me a favor. Her name is Cinderella not Cindy. That annoys the ever loving junk out of me.

rebeccaariel said:

Yup! I've finally decided I like Cindys costume. But the merchandise, I can't warm up to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter