Cinnamon Bay and Lucayan Resort Beach Experience

MissScarlet

Mouseketeer
Ok I know these are on two different islands and two different cruises but I have no idea what cruise we would go on yet. Has anyone ever been to Cinnamon Bay (I think it is on St. John Island) what were you experiences? How did you get there?
OK at Freeport there is a Lucayan Resort Beach Experience Excursion. On the disney site it says you get to use the resort's pools, waterslides and outdoor activities. Who has done this excursion? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

I'll bump this up for you -- we're thinking about doing the Lucayan Resort package and would love to hear info from someone who's been there. :)

I haven't been on either excursion, but my perception is that there's no comparison between these two. The Lucayan Beach experience is at a busy, public beach on a nice, but not spectacular, island (Grand Bahama).

Whereas Cinnamon Bay is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world... maybe even more so than Trunk Bay, and certainly without as many visitors as Trunk Bay. Cinnamon Bay has some facilities, it is bordered by a Virgin Islands National Park campground.

We just recently returned from the Jan 26 - Feb 2 Disney Magic cruise and did go to Cinnamon Bay. It is on the island of St. John. We took a cab from the boat to the Red Hook ferry - then ferried over to St. John. Once at St. John we took a cab to Cinnamon Bay. It is a beautiful white sand beach - good snorkling - they do have a small concession stand and showers for afterward. The beach was uncrowded and there was NO entrance fee. I highly recommend this beach. We liked it so much that we are going to vacation on St. John next winter. To get back to the ship - cab to the ferry dock and take either the ferry to Red Hook or Charlotte Amalia. On the way back to ST. Thomas we took the Charlotte Amalia ferry and they dropped off a load in Downtown and then took anyone who wanted over to the Havensite Mall which is right by the ship. It was by far the best day of the cruise for us.

Patty

Badger5, so is it preferable to take the ferry to Charlotte Amalia and then ask to be taken to that mall? If you take the Red Hook ferry do you then have to take a cab to the ship?

Is the water calm enough for kids to play in? Were chairs available for rent at Cinnamon?

Thanks for the info!

Josh's mom

Badger5, so is it preferable to take the ferry to Charlotte Amalia and then ask to be taken to that mall? If you take the Red Hook ferry do you then have to take a cab to the ship?

Is the water calm enough for kids to play in? Were chairs available for rent at Cinnamon?

Thanks for the info!

Josh's mom

I don't know about renting chairs at Cinnamon Bay because we spent most of the time snorkeling, but I thought the water was calm (too calm according to my 14-year-old bodysurfing DS). The snorkeling was awesome! I don't know about going to Charlotte Amalie on the ferry because we went back to Red Hook and took a cab from there back to the ship.

Cinnamon Bay was one of the highlights of our cruise in January. So was Orient Bay Beach on St. Maarten which was a more crowded beach with activities and music and bright caribbean blue water.

I don't know about renting chairs at Cinnamon Bay because we spent most of the time snorkeling, but I thought the water was calm (too calm according to my 14-year-old bodysurfing DS). The snorkeling was awesome! I don't know about going to Charlotte Amalie on the ferry because we went back to Red Hook and took a cab from there back to the ship.

Cinnamon Bay was one of the highlights of our cruise in January. So was Orient Bay Beach on St. Maarten which was a more crowded beach with activities and music and bright caribbean blue water.

Cinnamon Bay has a very gentle surf. We have three children ages 8,7 and 23 months. They all had a blast playing in the surf, even the 23 month old.

As far as the ferry goes, you would need to cab back to the ship if you take the Red Hook ferry. When we took the ferry back to Charlotte Amalia they just announced that they would make the first stop downtown and then another at the Havensite Mall (which is right by the boat). We actually got off downtown and did a little shopping before going back to the ship.

Cinnamon Bay was aboslutely beautiful. There is a little concession stand - but they were out of chairs when we went to ask.

By the way - there is a terrific little outdoor cafe right next to the ferry dock at St. John where we sat and waited for our ferry. We had a couple of drinks and a quick appetizer while we waited. It was really fun!

Patty

Final question: where did you all get your snorkle equip? Can you rent it on the boat? Did you bring it along?

Hi,
We did the Lucayan Beach excursion and really enjoyed it. As Dave said, the beach was nice, nothing spectacular but I don't think it was public. We were told you had to be a resort guest in order to use it. It was not crowded at all. Hubby did some snorkeling but didn't see many fish. The pool was very nice and also uncrowded. Included in this excursion was a light lunch (hamburger, hotdog, sandwich).

If you like, I'll email you some pics I took while there.

Mary

Thanks for the info, Mary. :):) We're thinking of booking that excursion, mainly for the pool and beach, so that our 18 month old can run around, play in the sand, etc. :)

We purchased our snorkle equipment on the web through a place called paridise island distributers. It was cheaper for us to purchase them then it was to rent them once!!! Do a search and check it out. We were very pleased with the quality of the gear.

Have fun.

Patty

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter