Circumpolar Race Around the World (CRAW)

I noticed that we have been moving up in the rankings. I don't know if we are getting faster or if other teams are losing interest.

I think it is a combination of that and people realize this is a long haul race. My team is still all committed to continuing on but a few members have expressed that they have not been able to get as many miles as they would like. I am amazed at some of these times, even working from home, I don't have time to put up the kind of mileage they are.

I noticed that we have been moving up in the rankings. I don't know if we are getting faster or if other teams are losing interest.
Actually, our average daily mileage (total mileage to date / # of days to date) has been creeping up throughout the month.

A very wise individual once shared a story about a turtle, a rabbit, and a race...

I hope we still have interest for the whole adventure, I plan on running the entire route.

...and just because I can't help myself with data, here is a chart showing our average mileage by day of week. Not surprisingly, we definitely hit the mileage hard during the weekend (have more time, scheduled long runs, etc), and then we take it easiest on the days before and after the weekend. At the extremes, we average just under 31 miles on Mondays and over 93 miles on Sundays.

Average Mileage by Day of Week 2020-09-30.png

I've been a little bummed to lose the Google street view for Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, and now Nicaragua. Especially since at the moment when I'm looking at the map, we are right along Lake Xolotian - probably a nice view. But I suppose it goes to show that Google is not all-pervasive.

I've been a little bummed to lose the Google street view for Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, and now Nicaragua. Especially since at the moment when I'm looking at the map, we are right along Lake Xolotian - probably a nice view. But I suppose it goes to show that Google is not all-pervasive.
Yes, Laz mentioned that in a Facebook post about a week ago... "This is where I need to warn you. Street view is great in Mexico and Guatemala. But it hardly exists except for snapshots in El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Costa Rica. It picks up again partway across Panama. Don't let that discourage you, it is fantastic all the way across Region 2."

Also, my shirt came in. I really like it! Anyone else get theirs; what do you think?
Yes, mine came last Thursday. I like it as well. Nothing too fancy, but feels like pretty good quality. Here’s my question: I am one who typically doesn’t wear a race shirt until after the race, but it seems extreme to wait a year and a half or so. What do you all think?

Yes, mine came last Thursday. I like it as well. Nothing too fancy, but feels like pretty good quality. Here’s my question: I am one who typically doesn’t wear a race shirt until after the race, but it seems extreme to wait a year and a half or so. What do you all think?

I haven't gotten one yet, because I was debating the normal (women's) t-shirt versus the tank top with the image and my bib number. I guess you both went with the normal shirt?

I think I'd not wear it until after Region 1 was done, at least.

Week 5 Update

Another great week in Central America. We received another three badges/stamps in our passports:
  • Completed our run through El Salvador (on Tuesday)
  • Completed our run through Honduras (on Thursday)
  • Completed our run through Nicaragua (on Sunday)
We also finally saw @Dopey 2020 question his decision to run the virtual NYC Marathon as he completed his 20 mile training run yesterday. You got this!

As we start this week, we are almost 75% done with Region 1 and about 26 miles into Costa Rica where we should spend most of the week. We will probably end the week in Panama which is the last country for Region 1!!

A few of us (not naming names, but it's about 3-4 folks) seem to be behind on posting mileage for this past week, so we are likely further along than what I stated above. Based on the mileage posted as of midnight last night (end of the week), we have a total of 1,854 miles completed. We seemed to have slowed down a bit this week (again, that may change once all mileage is posted), so the prediction model is now showing that we should finish Region 1 on 10/17 (only 12 days away). For the entire CRAW, the prediction model has increased to just over 1 year 6 months based on our average daily team mileage (54.6 miles per day).

For those who do have mileage to post (through yesterday), please try to post before midnight tonight (Monday) such that you get full credit.

Progress2020-10-04.png

We have made it to Costa Rica! I have always wanted to go. For now I will settle for virtually running through the country!

Also, my shirt came in. I really like it! Anyone else get theirs; what do you think?

I was lucky enough to go to Costa Rica and it is beautiful. It is amazing to see the difference between the mountain rainforest landscape and then heading to the beaches. Also the people are so friendly. Definitely one for the bucket list.

We also finally saw @Dopey 2020 question his decision to run the virtual NYC Marathon as he completed his 20 mile training run yesterday. You got this!

As we start this week, we are almost 75% done with Region 1 and about 26 miles into Costa Rica where we should spend most of the week. We will probably end the week in Panama which is the last country for Region 1!!

Based on the mileage posted as of midnight last night (end of the week), we have a total of 1,854 miles completed. We seemed to have slowed down a bit this week (again, that may change once all mileage is posted), so the prediction model is now showing that we should finish Region 1 on 10/17 (only 12 days away).

😂 I knew I couldn’t be the only one that reads the comments.
Indeed it is seeming a bit nuts to run 26.2 with no crowd support or other runners to motivate me, but I’m sure I’ll be happy when it’s done, and end up doing it again.
I’m hoping we can be done with region 1 and signed up for the next. I’m planning on running it on the 18th and would love to drop the miles on the start of region 2.

😂 I knew I couldn’t be the only one that reads the comments.
Indeed it is seeming a bit nuts to run 26.2 with no crowd support or other runners to motivate me, but I’m sure I’ll be happy when it’s done, and end up doing it again.
I’m hoping we can be done with region 1 and signed up for the next. I’m planning on running it on the 18th and would love to drop the miles on the start of region 2.

I saw your comment on the run just before heading out for my last max long training run for the NYC Virtual. I’m planning on running it on the 17th or 18th, as well, so we could have a nice start to Region 2.

I miss the race day adrenaline shot, too. I’ve had a really good training cycle, though, so instead of just running it around my neighborhood I’m going to try a time trial approach. My little town is pretty hilly, but we’re not far from the American Tobacco Trail. The ATT is flat, straight and 23+ miles of mixed crushed packed gravel and pavement. My plan is to run it as a 13.1m out and back to see what kind of time I can put up.

I‘ll go back to the garden variety around the neighborhood virtuals for Dopey at the beginning of the year.

I saw your comment on the run just before heading out for my last max long training run for the NYC Virtual. I’m planning on running it on the 17th or 18th, as well, so we could have a nice start to Region 2.

I miss the race day adrenaline shot, too. I’ve had a really good training cycle, though, so instead of just running it around my neighborhood I’m going to try a time trial approach. My little town is pretty hilly, but we’re not far from the American Tobacco Trail. The ATT is flat, straight and 23+ miles of mixed crushed packed gravel and pavement. My plan is to run it as a 13.1m out and back to see what kind of time I can put up.

I‘ll go back to the garden variety around the neighborhood virtuals for Dopey at the beginning of the year.

I was hoping to do the Richmond Marathon on Nov. 14, but then the normal event got canceled. Unlike you two, I decided I really didn't want to run a marathon virtually, for a number of reasons.

I found the Bucks County Marathon on Nov. 8 that will be happening in person. It's small and has a bunch of the safety procedures that others have mentioned on the Running Thread. Because of that, I'm not sure there's really going to be the same race vibe, but hopefully it will be enough.

That means my miles are ramping up, too, which is good for CRAW.

I haven't gotten one yet, because I was debating the normal (women's) t-shirt versus the tank top with the image and my bib number. I guess you both went with the normal shirt?

I think I'd not wear it until after Region 1 was done, at least.

Yeah, my rule is to never wear the race shirt during the race. But I think this time I am going to let that rule go. A year plus is too long to wait!

My rule is to never wear the race shirt at the race. So as long as I'm not wearing it when I log any miles, then I think I can wear my shirt now. Based on everyone's feedback, and so as not to jinx us, I think I'll wait for Region 1 to be completed before I wear it as well!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!