Clam Chowder-help!

bethie

DIS Veteran
I am looking for a good New England style clam chowder recipe. I hoping for one that can be made with canned clams and it will make enough to serve a crowd-say 10 -12 folks. Thanks guys for any help. :earsboy:

I got this one from Margie J's site at:
http://www.homestead.com/disneyrecipes/index4.html

I haven't made it yet, but if it was served at the Food & Wine Festival it's probably great!

New England Clam Chowder
from USA pavilion in EPCOT - Food & Wine Festival

1 qt. minced clams with juice
2 oz flour
1 lb potatoes, small dice
3/4 qt. Water
2 1/2 qt. milk, hot
5 oz salt pork, ground or cut into fine dice
1 C. heavy cream, hot
1/2 lb onions, small dice
salt and white pepper to taste

Drain the clams and save juice. Combine the juice and water in a saucepan & bring to a boil. Remove from heat and keep the liquid hot. In a heavy sauce pot or stock pot, render the salt pork over medium heat. Add the onions and cook slowly until they are soft but not brown. Add the flour and stir to make a roux. Cook the roux for 3-4 minutes but do not let it brown. Using a wire whip, slowly stir the clam liquid and water into the roux. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly to make sure the liquid is smooth. Add the potatoes. Simmer until tender. (If you are using large, tough "chowder" clams, pass them through a grinder and add them with the potatoes.) Stir in the clams, hot milk and cream. Heat gently but do not boil. Season with salt and pepper.

I don't usually freeze things with milk in them, so I don't really know. Maybe someone else has an idea . . .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter