Class of 2021 Parents

JustCallMeMommy

DIS Veteran
I've seen threads for some other graduation years. I learned a lot reading the 2017 parent thread. I'm not sure I am ready for high school, though DD seems to be doing just fine! How about your kiddos?

Yay. Finally a 2021 thread. We are only in our 3 days of school (well tomorrow we will be since they were off today for eclipse). My daughter is super excited for high school and has a somewhat tough schedule so I hope she can handle it. It is her first year of marching band as well. Friday was her first game and I think she enjoyed it a lot. I'm excited to see what high school holds for us.

Yay. Finally a 2021 thread. We are only in our 3 days of school (well tomorrow we will be since they were off today for eclipse). My daughter is super excited for high school and has a somewhat tough schedule so I hope she can handle it. It is her first year of marching band as well. Friday was her first game and I think she enjoyed it a lot. I'm excited to see what high school holds for us.

DD has been in for a few weeks now, but her school isn't doing anything for the eclipse. Their motto is "Don't look up." :headache: Hello - real life science opportunity! She had two quizzes and band practice after school, so I couldn't pull her out without causing more trouble than it was worth.

What does your DD play? Mine plays French horn (mellophone for marching season). Our first game was also Friday, and they did the first part of their half time routine. She kindly told me that I don't "HAVE" to come to all of her games and that I'm not allowed to take any more pictures (yeah, right)! She also told me that no other parents took pictures, to which I pulled up Facebook and showed her that all the other parents took pictures.

Can I join? DS started HS last week. For him this is a big adjustment. We homeschooled for two years and he kind of skipped eighth grade. So he was very unsure about being ready for the new year. But he seemed to like his classes from the beginning.

Let me explain the skipping. We held DS back from starting K on time and started him a year late. At the time he was not doing well with letters and we felt reading was going to be a problem until he was ready to read. So when we took him out of school for middle school we didn't know we would be given the option to send him on to high school according to his age. The school system is actually the ones that started by sending his records on to high school. And since the only reason we homeschooled was the middle schools in our area are really bad. We are all happy with our decision to allow him to skip ahead.

Oh wow, time to join another thread (I also post on the High School class of 2016/College class of 2020 for my DD). Sigh, I can't believe my baby is starting High School now.

My DS (class of 2021) is the total opposite of my DD so I'm not sure how things will go with him. He is a great kid (no trouble at all) but he really dislikes school (and struggles with a couple of subjects, which doesn't help). DS has no plans to go to college other than JC or trade school, which I totally support given how he feels about things. I won't push him into a 4-year school right out of HS if he still feels like this. But I'm hoping things go better for him at HS then they did in Middle School.

My DD starts her second year of college next Monday but DS is still out of school until Sept. 7th. We do go on the 29th to get him registered though and I'm hoping he gets good classes and teachers this year.

My DD14 is in 9th grade but in our district that's still middle school. High school here is 10-12th grades.

She's not a fan of school but does quite well. She wants to do special effects makeup as a career and keep talking about going to college in California. We live in PA.

My DD1 will be in the class of 2021 but she is going into her second year of high school. We are in Canada and in our district high school starts in Grade 8.

I have one ds starting HS this year, and one ds finishing. They start after Labor Day.

Glad someone started a thread. I am part of the Class of 2017 thread as well. DS leaves for college Saturday and then DD (my baby!) starts high school next week. Sigh. I am one big mess of emotions.

Joining in! DS14 started freshman year last Monday. He already knew a ton of upper class and even in 7th grade people thought he was a junior in HS, so none of the usual freshman qualms for him! He made the JV soccer team and they had their first scrimmage on Saturday. (They won!) We just got back from the team dinner and that was fun to meet other families. He plans to go abroad through Rotary next year and the preliminary application is already out for that! I’ll only get to join in on three years of HS fun with him, but that year away will be so important for him. His HS is IB so he is in the MYP program this year. If you are not familiar, please don’t ask me to explain because I don’t fully get it either! Best of luck to everyone starting the HS journey!

My babies are starting HS in a couple of weeks (have 2 in college and a junior in HS). They will be playing soccer. Dd is still in tryouts, ds will be playing on the freshman team, but will play up on varsity (they only allow one freshman on varsity, he was #2, our JV coach is horrible, the freshman team beats JV in scrimmages). They are taking all honors classes and physics, not sure how that will go. They've always been in mostly the same classes (middle school had the kids in groups, and both were in choir and geometry, so had to be in the same group), but I know they separate twins more in HS. They get along pretty well, at least to the extent that many don't know they are twins. Dd is a lot more organized than ds, so I'm losing my safety net if they have a lot of different teachers, but both DH and I attended the same HS as our kids, and we are good friends with the principal (one of DH's best friends since elementary school), so there is a high comfort level for us.

HS years go by in a blink!

Can I join? DS started HS last week. For him this is a big adjustment. We homeschooled for two years and he kind of skipped eighth grade. So he was very unsure about being ready for the new year. But he seemed to like his classes from the beginning.

Let me explain the skipping. We held DS back from starting K on time and started him a year late. At the time he was not doing well with letters and we felt reading was going to be a problem until he was ready to read. So when we took him out of school for middle school we didn't know we would be given the option to send him on to high school according to his age. The school system is actually the ones that started by sending his records on to high school. And since the only reason we homeschooled was the middle schools in our area are really bad. We are all happy with our decision to allow him to skip ahead.

I felt like 8th grade was mostly a "prepare for high school" year - more the WAY to do things than the content. I bet your DS will be great in high school!

Oh wow, time to join another thread (I also post on the High School class of 2016/College class of 2020 for my DD). Sigh, I can't believe my baby is starting High School now.

My DS (class of 2021) is the total opposite of my DD so I'm not sure how things will go with him. He is a great kid (no trouble at all) but he really dislikes school (and struggles with a couple of subjects, which doesn't help). DS has no plans to go to college other than JC or trade school, which I totally support given how he feels about things. I won't push him into a 4-year school right out of HS if he still feels like this. But I'm hoping things go better for him at HS then they did in Middle School.

My DD starts her second year of college next Monday but DS is still out of school until Sept. 7th. We do go on the 29th to get him registered though and I'm hoping he gets good classes and teachers this year.

I bet he finds his place in high school. It seems like there are so many more options.

My DD14 is in 9th grade but in our district that's still middle school. High school here is 10-12th grades.

She's not a fan of school but does quite well. She wants to do special effects makeup as a career and keep talking about going to college in California. We live in PA.

My high school was like that, and I really liked it. 9th grade was probably my favorite year of school - I think being a little older when you are "king of the middle school" is probably a good thing. I'm not telling my DD that special effects makeup is a career option. lol Two things happened this week - 1) she made a latex wound and tried to trick the dogs (she knew it wouldn't work on me) and 2) she was so fascinated by the eclipse that she wants to try out an astronomy class. Her interests are all over the place - music, science, writing, cosplay - so she may never settle on one thing!

My DD1 will be in the class of 2021 but she is going into her second year of high school. We are in Canada and in our district high school starts in Grade 8.

Oh, wow! That seems to young to be with seniors.

My DD starts HS in 2 weeks. She's more than ready. I'm not sure I am though.

Aren't they always? I'm still not ready, and DD has been in school for 3 weeks already.

I have one ds starting HS this year, and one ds finishing. They start after Labor Day.

You are going to have a busy year!

Glad someone started a thread. I am part of the Class of 2017 thread as well. DS leaves for college Saturday and then DD (my baby!) starts high school next week. Sigh. I am one big mess of emotions.

I would be, too!

Joining in! DS14 started freshman year last Monday. He already knew a ton of upper class and even in 7th grade people thought he was a junior in HS, so none of the usual freshman qualms for him! He made the JV soccer team and they had their first scrimmage on Saturday. (They won!) We just got back from the team dinner and that was fun to meet other families. He plans to go abroad through Rotary next year and the preliminary application is already out for that! I’ll only get to join in on three years of HS fun with him, but that year away will be so important for him. His HS is IB so he is in the MYP program this year. If you are not familiar, please don’t ask me to explain because I don’t fully get it either! Best of luck to everyone starting the HS journey!

It sounds like you and DS need to cram in a lot of memories this year. What fun!

My babies are starting HS in a couple of weeks (have 2 in college and a junior in HS). They will be playing soccer. Dd is still in tryouts, ds will be playing on the freshman team, but will play up on varsity (they only allow one freshman on varsity, he was #2, our JV coach is horrible, the freshman team beats JV in scrimmages). They are taking all honors classes and physics, not sure how that will go. They've always been in mostly the same classes (middle school had the kids in groups, and both were in choir and geometry, so had to be in the same group), but I know they separate twins more in HS. They get along pretty well, at least to the extent that many don't know they are twins. Dd is a lot more organized than ds, so I'm losing my safety net if they have a lot of different teachers, but both DH and I attended the same HS as our kids, and we are good friends with the principal (one of DH's best friends since elementary school), so there is a high comfort level for us.

HS years go by in a blink!

Are they looking forward to the independence? I want to slow the time down.

My older DS started about a week and a half ago. Also another marching band kid.

Fortunately, it's not too shocking for him since he already went to the high school for one class last year (the middle school and high school aren't right next to each, but on the same campus), so he's already familiar with the school, and also spent a lot of time there during band camp this summer.

I've also read quite a bit of the 2017 Class thread and found it very helpful.

My older DS started about a week and a half ago. Also another marching band kid.

Fortunately, it's not too shocking for him since he already went to the high school for one class last year (the middle school and high school aren't right next to each, but on the same campus), so he's already familiar with the school, and also spent a lot of time there during band camp this summer.

I've also read quite a bit of the 2017 Class thread and found it very helpful.

I think band camp helped, too. My kiddo made a bunch of new upper classmen friends before school started. Our schools are pretty big, and they only house 2-3 grades each (K-1, 2-3, 4-5, 6-8 with 6th graders separated), so even though DD would have overlapped in the same schools with the sophomores several times, she really only knows a few from outside activities.

DD has been in for a few weeks now, but her school isn't doing anything for the eclipse. Their motto is "Don't look up." :headache: Hello - real life science opportunity! She had two quizzes and band practice after school, so I couldn't pull her out without causing more trouble than it was worth.

What does your DD play? Mine plays French horn (mellophone for marching season). Our first game was also Friday, and they did the first part of their half time routine. She kindly told me that I don't "HAVE" to come to all of her games and that I'm not allowed to take any more pictures (yeah, right)! She also told me that no other parents took pictures, to which I pulled up Facebook and showed her that all the other parents took pictures.

Autumn plays the flute.

Joining in.......my baby (DD14) will start high school next week. She's also in marching band, plays the trombone. I'm probably more nervous than she is. She struggles with some subjects so I'm hoping this year isn't too bad. Luckily, we do know a lot of the teachers because our other kids have had them.

Wow! So is high school all one building or are those grades in different buildings, too? I assume the same building?

Each of those divisions is a separate campus. There is one high school campus with two large buildings - one for academic subjects and one for the arts. We have city schools rather than neighborhood schools, so all of the kids in one grade are in the same school. I think there are about 400 kids per grade, but the various schools are spread out all over town.

Hi everyone, I guess I'm in this group now. My DD will be starting HS after Labor Day. Can't believe my baby(only child) is in high school. She is fine with it, me and my DH are just nervous. haha
She was in all standard classes last year, but her teachers all recommended honors now, plus she "skipped" Chinese 3 and going to Chinese 4, Teacher thinks she will do great with it. I hope so, cause I have no idea about it.
She is trying out for basketball in the winter- we'll see how that goes. She LOVES it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter