Class of 2021 Parents

Oldest also graduates tomorrow. Rehearsals were today outdoors and the staff sunburned more than half the graduates by keeping them outdoors for 3 hours without water. Staff wanted to go longer for rehearsal and majority of the graduates screamed no at the staff. Graduates are so mad. Parents are even more mad. Oldest is in so much pain and is lobster red. We bought 3 types of relievers. Oldest hasn’t eaten since breakfast and is resting. The school was suppose to host a bbq for the graduates after rehearsal, yet majority left or stayed inside to get relief. It was a mess.

Going to be interesting tomorrow because graduates can’t have any personal items again outdoors including cellphones. The staff is padding them down as well. We’re sending Oldest with water, sunscreen, and sunglasses. Hopefully he’ll be able to keep those items.
That's awful. I'd be so angry.

DS graduated this week. It was outside and the weather looked iffy that day but it all worked out. He graduated ninth in his class and got a few small scholarships. Proud parents here.

He’s been party hopping the last few days. He’s a lifeguard, has worked with the same group of people since he was 15 and has his first day of work today. Said he’s not feeling it this summer. He wants to do things with people. He doesn’t want to work a ton. I said to tell his manager how many shifts he wants. And other friends will be working too so they may not be available as much as he thinks. I think he’ll get into it once track and graduation letdown is over. (And when he’s not tired from three parties yesterday). I really don’t think sitting around all summer is the way to go and I told him that. Sigh.

Last edited:
Yesterday was beyond amazing! We had to cheerlead for Oldest to attend graduation after being so sunburnt with rehearsal. It’s what us parents do. Especially being a once an a lifetime event. We covered Oldest in sunscreen and sunburn relief. Oldest was able to keep sunglasses on. The wind kicked in outdoors and it was so fitting to the entire Senior class and what they had to endure not having any events this year and the second half of their Junior year. The wind was just one more thing.

Loved that all the speeches focused on life, nothing is perfect, what’s truly important, put down the lens/screens (this one hit home because I purposely left my cellphone at home not wanting to be bothered with it to enjoy the moment, been doing that a lot lately. Also Oldest couldn’t have his and did so too instead of locking it up in school), that many paths will be taken after graduation with summer off/travel, college/no college with all sorts of careers/jobs - customer service, fast food, trades, military, & professional and it’s all ok. Lots of students taking gap years given that Covid put a few things behind life wise, Oldest included. Good chunk of Seniors without driver’s licenses due to Covid, remembering what challenges Covid brought for everyone - staff, medical, workers, parents, and students, etc and remembering all the love ones loss.

We all cried, laughed, and most of all hands down it was one of the best days ever. Truly an unforgettable experience. So proud of Oldest and what they have accomplished. Congrats to Class of 2021. You did it!👨‍🎓👩‍🎓

DS graduated about 3 weeks ago. He was co-valedictorian and gave a great speech (he wouldn't let us hear it or tell us a thing about it beforehand, so I was kind of on pins and needles a bit). It was great, more funny than serious which I enjoyed. I actually surprised myself that I didn't cry. I got a little emotional before the ceremony just thinking about ALL of the kids, and I maybe I got a little teary during one part of his speech, but I didn't actually cry. I think I'll be more emotional when my younger one graduates because then we'll be empty-nesters.

He and I will travel next week to his college for student and parent orientation. He will be moving in less than 2 months -- it seems so soon.

How are our 2021 grads doing? How are their plans progressing? For those who recently did the dorm move-in thing, how did it go?

Today my son received a passing score on his language competency exam! He needs to provide this to his university so that he can enroll in the coming months, so that is a weight off his shoulders. He just needs to have a few documents translated and an apostille applied to one and then he should be all set. It has been strange for him the past few weeks as most of his friends left to start their new lives at school, but he knows that his day is coming in the spring!

College move in went smooth and thankfully DD has met some people to hang out with and is enjoying her classes. After watching her sister attempt freshman year of college last year in the pandemic, she was very apprehensive about going away but luckily so far it’s feeling pretty normal at her campus. I hope everyone is finding good things on their new paths!

My daughter has been attending classes since mid August or so and so far she is adjusting quite well to college life. She is learning how to navigate the University's extensive transportation system, especially when at times it breaks down on her. She definitely has attended her share of parties but is also working hard in her classes and seems to be balancing her fun with work. She came home this past weekend for an extended visit and will be back in another month as well for a few days. She tolerates her roommate and her dorm floor at times can be quite loud but she is okay so far and manages to deal with things. She insists the dining hall food has really gone downhill after being somewhat decent the first week or two, so she has found herself visiting the grocery store more often and doing more microwave and packaged meals in her dorm room. I'm extra thankful now we went with the cheapest dining package and can't wait until she can move into an apartment next year and won't have to have a dining plan at all.

Mine has settled in- move in was August 25, getting used to everything. It's a small college, only 1700 students- which she wanted, so not too difficult to navigate around. She really likes her roomate, and her cousin is going there too, so they have been hanging out a lot also.
She turns 19 this Sunday- so DH and I are driving down to take her to lunch(it's 2ish hours). She's an only child, so not sure how we feel about being empty nesters though. :(

My DD's been doing great! She's already a BWOC, which we did NOT see coming--everyone knows who she is, she walks into a room and strangers say, "Oh--you're HER! I've heard of you!" She loves her classes and is managing (so far) her early-morning Starbucks hours as well as her classes.

We hadn't planned on her having a car on campus, but she's had so many work days (when she has to be in at 4:30 am, or 6am if she's lucky), that we've been juggling here at home to accommodate her. She's only 3 miles away, so it's not a big deal if we need her vehicle, and we're in the process of getting car #4. Her older brother works at Fedex--he has to go in for 2am--and he commutes to the same college.

She hasn't complained about dorm food, but she's in the nice, new Honors dorm, which has a kitchen. She's baked cookies and even made a Saturday breakfast for her crew--this might be a factor in her popularity. Over Labor Day, she had all her friends who were stuck on campus, over to our house for a barbecue, which was well-received.

OTOH, she got an ADHD diagnosis last week. She's going to be trying biofeedback, versus meds, to manage it. I really hope it helps her to focus--her brain tends to go at a million miles a minute.

DS heads off to UCSB this weekend. It's only 2 hours away and I really think he needs to be there to grow the way he is capable of. So, as much as I thought I would be "end of Toy Story 3" sad about it, I'm not. At all. I'm so excited for him I can't put it into words in fact.

But that's not why I'm posting here.

I know most of you have already moved your '21 grads into dorm rooms and sent them off, but I started listening to the "In Your Own Backyard" podcast. https://www.yourownbackyardpodcast.com/ It's about a Cal Poly San Luis Obispo freshman that went missing and is allegedly killed walking home from a party. This podcast is phenomenal - so well done. I went to Cal Poly and her DD says at one point how safe the town is - he's not wrong. No kidding, it's, "I'd leave my DD8 there with strangers", safe. But, it just takes one person to ruin that though. This podcast should be REQUIRED listening to college freshmen and their parents. it's an investment in time but worth it.

DS heads off to UCSB this weekend. It's only 2 hours away and I really think he needs to be there to grow the way he is capable of. So, as much as I thought I would be "end of Toy Story 3" sad about it, I'm not. At all. I'm so excited for him I can't put it into words in fact.

But that's not why I'm posting here.

I know most of you have already moved your '21 grads into dorm rooms and sent them off, but I started listening to the "In Your Own Backyard" podcast. https://www.yourownbackyardpodcast.com/ It's about a Cal Poly San Luis Obispo freshman that went missing and is allegedly killed walking home from a party. This podcast is phenomenal - so well done. I went to Cal Poly and her DD says at one point how safe the town is - he's not wrong. No kidding, it's, "I'd leave my DD8 there with strangers", safe. But, it just takes one person to ruin that though. This podcast should be REQUIRED listening to college freshmen and their parents. it's an investment in time but worth it.
I listened to it over the summer! It was very gripping and eye opening!

Oldest recently turned 18. Decided to not pursue college. Wants to work. Ultimately wants to have more time and less stress overall. Very rule and routine driven. Sees things differently. Always has.

We had GAP year as an option because college is always an option no matter how old you are. Plus it simply made Oldest feel better by saying they were taking a GAP year vs. not going to college straight out. As parents, we always knew this and it’s ok. We just want health and happiness always for our kids.

So in the mean time because life moves on we have established a timeline.

*Driver’s License Permit - Done
*Get behind to wheel to see if we need to hire behind the wheel driver’s education - This week.
*Open Bank Account at Credit Union - Appointment in two weeks.
*Work Cards - Appointment in November.
*Driver’s license - Hopefully December? Oldest is very hesitant with driving. Don’t blame them it’s insane out on the road. Might be a late bloomer here.

What support from us looks like.
*100% financial support from us until December 31, 2021.
*January 1, 2022 just shelter, food, and
utilities financial support from us until 21 years old.
*If not driving, has to chip in for gas per month. At least $60 since that’s the going rate for a bus pass.
*June 1, 2022, cellphone financial support ends. This was part of HS graduation gift.

Mine was absolutely freaked out with the concept of driving. She could not learn with her parents with her b/c we found out she had anxiety she'd kill us (she'd driven with us in parking lots and neighborhoods, but she could not get on streets with lights and cars). So, I paid a pretty penny for private 1-on-1 lessons and told the company about her heavy anxiety, so they'd send an instructor who had handled that. And my kid bloomed with that instructor, and got confidence and then ability with her. I paid for lessons until she and the instructor thought she was ready without, and then she passed her license and drives my spouse around now (her 1st year, you can only drive 1 kid under 18, so she's never driving the family, but just somewhere she or he needs to go).

As I tell my spouse, it was the best $1Kish I ever spent...we had about 6 90 min private lessons and then a behind the wheel 6 45 min "set class version" (usually these are 90 b/c you watch another kid, but Covid...and really, with my kid, it was probably better there wasn't another kid) and then the test...

PS - The lessons were an early "her big gift" birthday present for her, and she was very happy to receive them...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter