Class of 2021 Parents

What are your kids up to this summer? Mine is at a summer camp this week. It will be the last time she can go as a camper. They let them keep their phones this year as a test, so I know she is having fun.

After this, she will be volunteering at the zoo until Band Camp in July.

Not much going on here. DD is going to summer school. She's taking one class at the local junior college and two online classes. She seems to be doing pretty good. Tuition is due but financial aide still hasn't been posted yet. She will take the subsidized loan(the one thats doesn't charge interest until 6 months after she graduates) and middle class income. Last year she didn't qualify for anything else. We made less so not sure if that will make a difference. As far as awards from the university if she qualifies for anything will it be posted or does she have to apply for certain award from the school? Are awards the same as scholarships?
1st installment for her on campus apartment is due so I paid that off last night.

DD bought some cute stuff for her room. We bought her a blender we found on clearance. We need to find a few kitchen items. I told her she needs to get with her room mates and see what they need or who is taking what. Those of you with kids who had an apartment did they share pans, eating utensils, appliances and misc etc? My DD wants certain things to herself.

DD got her learners permit!!! In Maryland, you have to be 15 and 9 months, so she got it last Friday after we got back from Kings Dominion. She passed the first time. She will now be taking Drivers Ed in August. We are also planning her 16th Bday party in September- got a hall/DJ and all. Trying to get stuff together for that. Pinterest has wayyyy too many ideas. LOL

I haven't seen this thread in a while. It is nice to see the updates. DS just finished last week so he is still getting into summer-mode ;) He has applied to do volunteer work at a local museum (has another interview on Friday). Other than that, there isn't much planned this summer. He can't get his driving permit until he is 15 1/2 and completes the Drivers Ed course. So it will probably be next summer before he even considers that.

The last quarter of school was tough. Up until then he was doing great and his grades were all A's with a few B's. But then the last quarter two teachers changed and both of those classes dropped to C's :( His math teacher went on maternity leave and he ended up with multiple substitutes that really weren't able to teach the class well (and this was already a problem subject for him). He had all A's in Biology until the long-term substitute left and the regular teacher came back. Unfortunately, she was either not ready to come back or just didn't care anymore because he said the whole class went downhill fast. It is kind of a bummer because he worked so hard all year, but those two classes caused him so much stress.

Hey there all! My guys finished school on May 25 and a good amount of time has been spent playing video games and getting beauty rest. Last week both kids went to scout camp. One to traditional week-long camp in Wyoming and the other to Sea Base for a live aboard SCUBA experience in the Keys. So, my youngest saw bison and a bear, while my oldest dove with reef sharks, turtles, dolphins, rays, an octopus, lion fish, squirrel fish, and a whole mess of other fish. Amazing. We will pick him up from the airport tomorrow evening. Then it’s a visit from my parents, a trip to Houston to apply for his student visa at the Consulate of Argentina, camping for two nights in the mountains, and his farewell party. He will leave for Argentina around August 23. Just savoring the time we will have as a family of four before he leaves for his exchange year!

DD got her learners permit!!! In Maryland, you have to be 15 and 9 months, so she got it last Friday after we got back from Kings Dominion. She passed the first time. She will now be taking Drivers Ed in August. We are also planning her 16th Bday party in September- got a hall/DJ and all. Trying to get stuff together for that. Pinterest has wayyyy too many ideas. LOL
Congrats and good luck! We are also in MD, but DS won’t be eligible until December. But I just went through it with my DS17, who got his license this past winter.

As for summer, DS15 is life guarding 25+ hours a week and loving it. He can get himself there and back, although on his long day when he ends at 9pm, we pick him up. He’s loving the paycheck for sure. He’s also on summer swim team, doing preseason conditioning for cross country and eventually is going to have to start his summer reading and homework packet for AP US History.

Less than a month left of summer vacation, my kids still have a lot of work to do. Summer assignments are an online financial literacy class with a test (60% done), three novels (one done), a pre calc packet (0% done), and 75 AP stat problems for dd15 (100% done). Daily soccer practices will start soon for both. Dd spends too much time socializing, ds on Xbox (live, so I guess that is socializing). I’m so tired of nagging.

DS15 attended the soccer pre-season camp for the past few weeks even though he will not be trying out for the team. He had an absolute blast being back with his soccer guys! School starts on Monday and he will attend for one week before officially withdrawing. Then he gets his braces off and will leave for Tierra del Fuego on August 23. His ticket is being booked today, after obtaining his student visa last Thursday. We went shopping for some school uniform items over the weekend. He will figure out school supplies on his own once he arrives. No need to take up valuable luggage weight with small things that he can obtain once he gets there!

Well, today was back to school for us! DD just finished 2 weeks of band camp, and it looks like the school year will take off like a jet this year. I can't believe how many activities are already scheduled.

Enjoying the updates. School doesn't start until the 28th here.
DD had a good end to the school year. She got a bunch of drama awards (dance, ensemble, set painting, and rookie of the year!) which was nice. It made her feel good about her decision to leave ballet.
It's been a pretty quiet summer. Right after school got out, she went on a cruise to Bermuda with a friend. Lucky girl! Otherwise, she's just been working (cashier at a local grocery store) and chilling.
Other than this intense humidity, I am in no hurry for summer to end. DS22 is already back at college (in Florida) and DS19 heads back 2 weeks from today. He can't wait!
We went to see Christopher Robin today and really enjoyed it. Recommended for any Pooh fans out there!

Well, we just back from our Disney Fantasy cruise, been waiting for that all summer. LOL We had an awesome trip! School starts September 4 here, so we still have some time. DD starts Drivers Ed tonight. We are now going all out trying to get her 16th party together in September!!

Well, we just back from our Disney Fantasy cruise, been waiting for that all summer. LOL We had an awesome trip! School starts September 4 here, so we still have some time. DD starts Drivers Ed tonight. We are now going all out trying to get her 16th party together in September!!

What fun! What are you doing for her sweet 16? DD has asked for a party (she gets a choice each year between large present, small trip, or party...this is the first time since she was little that she chose party!).

Dd’s boyfriend is coming over to meet us, he’s going to be a senior, so in dd17’s class. I think they’ve been dating on and off since the spring. Unfortunately his ex is queen of a group of mean girls, and they’ve been bullying dd since the spring (guidance called me to let me know and girls were suspended). Most are going off to college, thank goodness. Dd is so shy, wants nothing more than to stay under the radar. She refuses to stand up for herself, she says she just can’t be mean to anyone.

What fun! What are you doing for her sweet 16? DD has asked for a party (she gets a choice each year between large present, small trip, or party...this is the first time since she was little that she chose party!).
We rented one of the local halls, and got a friend to DJ, a "pinterest" photobooth LOL. We are doing Mission BBQ foods, a cake, candy buffet. It's family and friends, so probably about 100-125 people.

Dd’s boyfriend is coming over to meet us, he’s going to be a senior, so in dd17’s class. I think they’ve been dating on and off since the spring. Unfortunately his ex is queen of a group of mean girls, and they’ve been bullying dd since the spring (guidance called me to let me know and girls were suspended). Most are going off to college, thank goodness. Dd is so shy, wants nothing more than to stay under the radar. She refuses to stand up for herself, she says she just can’t be mean to anyone.

I'm angry on her behalf. >:( I'm glad her school took action. DD hasn't had trouble with bullies, but I hear that there are some problems in our school with our administration taking action. Fortunately, this year's administration is mostly new; hopefully, they will take a stand.

I'm angry on her behalf. >:( I'm glad her school took action. DD hasn't had trouble with bullies, but I hear that there are some problems in our school with our administration taking action. Fortunately, this year's administration is mostly new; hopefully, they will take a stand.
The school was great, although they can’t protect her out of school, unfortunately. One girl’s father is a police officer in town who gives an annual presentation at the HS on bullying, and everyone thinks it’s pretty ironic. Believe it or not, this is our first real experience with bullying, which is pretty crazy with 5 teens. My kids hang out with the low drama nice kids for the most part, at least their inner circles. Dd has begged me not to call the school about any incidents, so I won’t, because I want her to tell me what’s going on. Being on the soccer and track teams, she has a lot of upperclassmen who have her back, including dd17 and her friends. I told her I’d have no problem ringing each one of their doorbells!

School starts back up for us on Thursday. Youngest DD will be in 8th grade and the oldest will be a Sophomore. DD 1 has been busy with marching band most of the summer. Last night they did the national anthem at the STL Cardinals game. She is happy with all of her classes this year. It will be her first year of theater production and choir. She got her score back in June on her World History AP class and she did well. This year she is doing a dual credit history class with UMSL. Driving lessons are going so-so. She hates driving. She really doesn't want anything to do with it, but we keep hacking away at it and hopefully she will eventually get comfortable.

I forgot how much I hate this time of the year. Soccer practices/tryouts, almost 4 weeks until school starts, dd15 6:45 am - 9, ds15 7:45 - 11 (fields at opposite sides of town, but we carpool), plus dd17 is a xc captain and has to be at the at 8 am. Today we were driving the boy carpool, so set my alarm, dd was still asleep, missed her ride, got her there 20 minutes late (fortunately DH was working from home so we could both drive). No more sleeping in.

We don't start for another 10 days, not that I'm counting. DD15 got her schedule the other day--horrors! None of her friends are in her classes! She had to drop Orchestra in order to continue in the IB program. Not a huge deal--she'll audition for the junior orchestra at our local college, and play with them instead. She was bummed, though.

Because of the way they did her schedule last year, she's playing catch-up on her math and science. So this year, she'll have 2 math classes and 3 science classes, with all her classes being honors or AP. It's going to be a busy year! She also has 8 hours of dance per week, plus cello lessons and orchestra. On the good side, DH and I are both engineers, so there's plenty of math and science help should she need any. I figure she'll be fine, so long as she stays on top of everything.

We don't start for another 10 days, not that I'm counting. DD15 got her schedule the other day--horrors! None of her friends are in her classes! She had to drop Orchestra in order to continue in the IB program. Not a huge deal--she'll audition for the junior orchestra at our local college, and play with them instead. She was bummed, though.

Because of the way they did her schedule last year, she's playing catch-up on her math and science. So this year, she'll have 2 math classes and 3 science classes, with all her classes being honors or AP. It's going to be a busy year! She also has 8 hours of dance per week, plus cello lessons and orchestra. On the good side, DH and I are both engineers, so there's plenty of math and science help should she need any. I figure she'll be fine, so long as she stays on top of everything.
Dd is taking precalc and AP Stat, I really don’t know why, last year she had honors bio and physics.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter