Class of 2023 Parents

DS applied to 3 universities and found out today that he was accepted at all three!

Now he has to pick between staying local and attending University of Victoria or moving to Ontario and going to either Queens or University of Guelph.

Looks like he and I are going to fly out there to take a tour of the two Ontario ones!

Graduation announcements were ordered today, and will be mailed the week of graduation. I don't intend for any to attend as we're out of state, and because we only get 6 or 8 tickets.

DD final winterguard competition was this past weekend. One month of school remaining.

Ivy day has arrived! Very proud to say that though our daughter received her first rejections of the application season, from Brown & Columbia, she has been accepted to both UPenn & Harvard!!! We’re still peeling this kid off the ceiling she’s so excited! Headed to Cambridge in three weeks to check out the campus, & if the visit goes as well as we hope, our daughter’s headed to Harvard next fall!! Crazy even typing that out! Been so much fun reading about everyone’s journey on this thread. Here’s wishing everyone the very best for all of your kids!!

Ivy day has arrived! Very proud to say that though our daughter received her first rejections of the application season, from Brown & Columbia, she has been accepted to both UPenn & Harvard!!! We’re still peeling this kid off the ceiling she’s so excited! Headed to Cambridge in three weeks to check out the campus, & if the visit goes as well as we hope, our daughter’s headed to Harvard next fall!! Crazy even typing that out! Been so much fun reading about everyone’s journey on this thread. Here’s wishing everyone the very best for all of your kids!!
Congratulations!

Congrats!

Sometime this winter, my son decided he was going to play lacrosse for his senior year. It's the first spring he's ever had free, since normally he's playing club soccer. Never really played it before, at least not to any serious degree, but he went to all the optional off-season trainings and open fields and actually worked his way up to being in the starting lineup (the coaches all wondered why he'd never played until now - they said he was a natural).

Things got derailed a couple weeks before the season opener when he went down awkwardly in practice and dislocated his shoulder. That was about 4 weeks ago, but he's recovered (mostly) and he's set to play in his first ever actual lacrosse game on Wednesday! :) We have no clue about the sport - we went to their season opener just to watch the team play and they look pretty good. It'll be an interesting spring. :)

It’s official, our daughter committed to Harvard last night! She heads to their annual Visitas weekend/Monday for pre-freshmen next week to stay with a current student in the dorms, attend any classes she’d like to check out, try the food, & generally live the life of a Harvard student. She’s really looking forward to it & we’re super excited for her. Like everyone’s kids here, lots of big things fo come!

Man, this is our first kid in college & I’ve gotta say, the grad parties here are exhausting. My wife & I went to three yesterday, have four next weekend, & two the following. Our daughter has them lined up seemingly back to back every weekend, both Sat & Sun, thru the end of the month. 100+ guests at each one, tacos or bbq seems to be the go-to fare, & plenty of keg beer & wine. I always enjoy socializing & love a good party, but I’m gassed & it’s only our first weekend. Are grad parties a big thing where you all are?

Man, this is our first kid in college & I’ve gotta say, the grad parties here are exhausting. My wife & I went to three yesterday, have four next weekend, & two the following. Our daughter has them lined up seemingly back to back every weekend, both Sat & Sun, thru the end of the month. 100+ guests at each one, tacos or bbq seems to be the go-to fare, & plenty of keg beer & wine. I always enjoy socializing & love a good party, but I’m gassed & it’s only our first weekend. Are grad parties a big thing where you all are?

Ooof that sounds exhausting!

No, grad parties are not a big thing here nor are proms.

DS has his graduation ceremony on June 16th, we are taking him out to dinner that evening and then the next night there is a big dinner/dance for the grad class plus families which we are going to.

Last edited:
DD originally didn’t want a grad party but then decided she did. About 40 friends attended, primarily her teammates and close friends. It seemed like every weekend in May had parties. I felt bad not attending but was out of town.

While I’m sure some families do it up big, that’s definitely not the norm around here. We’ll have a casual backyard party with extended family — it’s an excuse to get together but not a command performance.

Grad parties are very common in my area. Almost all of my son’s friends have one. My husband and I have attended two already and have three more to go. Our party isn’t until next month. It is a lot now, but I view it as just one time in our lives where we’ll have this many get-togethers with the boys we’ve known since they were little.

Grad parties are pretty common around here, but we don’t typically get invited to our son’s friends parties. It’s either for families of the grad or for their friends. My son had four of them Saturday - him and his friends were making a plan of attack on how to make it to each one of them.

We had a small one for mostly family and some neighbors. Son didn’t want to invite his friends to his. He figured he’d see them at enough other parties this summer.

Orientation is now done - he’s got wisdom teeth coming out Friday and then we can hopefully settle into a summer routine for a couple months before college move in.

We have had a few parties not too overwhelming. My son didn't want a party so we took him and his girlfriend out with the family to Capital Grille. We just got back last week from UF preview where he picked out his classes and declared his major. It was a lot of information all at once and was a bit overwhelming for a lot of the kids.

Bumping this up to see how first semester is going for everyone.

My son seems to be settling in pretty nicely, both socially and academically. Academically, it seemed like a little struggle early on, but he's learned now that things like study groups and professor office hours are a good thing to take advantage of (we'd been telling him these things, but it took a friend or two to convince him, of course ;) ). Apparently, he aced both his first exams for Physics and Calc thanks to study groups and is on track with an English Comp course after going to see his professor to discuss a paper (he wanted to drop that class after the first week).

He's joined the ski club (although there really isn't much to do with that club yet) and pickleball club and asked us to bring his soccer gear down when we come for parents' weekend next week. Some guys on his floor formed an intramural team, so he's getting back on the soccer field again, which is great for him.

Hope everyone else's freshmen are doing well. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter