Clearing bus seats for wheelchair/ecv?

Buckimion

Purple Heart Park Commando
If a bus is mostly full but no standing passengers or previously loaded wheelchairs/ecvs, do bus drivers clear seated passengers to make room if needed?

If a bus is mostly full but no standing passengers or previously loaded wheelchairs/ecvs, do bus drivers clear seated passengers to make room if needed?

They are supposed to, but all do not. It depends upon the driver.

Don't count on it. They may ask people in the folding seats to get up but they won't make anyone.

I--and others--have not been able to board because people would not vacate the ECV/WC areas of the bus.

This has not happened to me many times, but when it has, I have been asked to wait for the next bus.

Are you asking if the driver makes people move after they have started loading?

Are you asking if the driver makes people move after they have started loading?

I did not think of this. I read the OP as if the bus showed up with people on it. Like happens when a bus stops at multiple resorts.

If you show up after the bus has started loading, I would think protocol dictates that you wait for the next bus. Could be wrong, but that's how I have always thought it worked.

I have waited for the next bus in both scenarios, though. (I am rarely in a hurry, so it's not as big deal for me as it can be for others)

I"m reading this as (example) you are staying at the All Star Movie Resort
the bus picks up people at All Star Sports then All Star Music then it drives up & you are in line to ride - they should make people move out of the seats, those seats say so

now if everyone is leaving MK, everyone gets on board then you drive up then sorry you should wait on the next bus

I believe I have my answer but my thoughts are aimed at our trip next month and staying at CSR. I paid for water view and requested near the first pickup for the parks. (Stop #2 at Casitas 4). Knowing requests are just that, I really wouldn't object if we ended up on the other side on the resort at Cabanas but worry about being among the last to board the bus after it has picked up the rest of the resort.

Unless the folks sitting in the handicapped seats on the buses are handicapped, shouldn't they move if a handicapped (wheelchair or not) person shows up and needs the seat(s)?

I know some disabilities are not visible, but I would assume common courtesy would prevail if the seats were needed and folks were simply using the them since they were empty.

At least when the aisles are clear and folks can move around, I am not sure why the drivers would let anyone sit there if they were needed for a reason..:confused3

Unless the folks sitting in the handicapped seats on the buses are handicapped, shouldn't they move if a handicapped (wheelchair or not) person shows up and needs the seat(s)?

I know some disabilities are not visible, but I would assume common courtesy would prevail if the seats were needed and folks were simply using the them since they were empty.

At least when the aisles are clear and folks can move around, I am not sure why the drivers would let anyone sit there if they were needed for a reason..:confused3

Because the drivers are not seat police if their is no wheelchairs when a guest boards they can seat at any seat they want. Keeping in mind there are signs clearly posted saying you must give up these seats so the driver really dose not have to say anything. When a wheelchair needs to board then The driver will tell the guest to move since most gust don't want to follow posted signs or rules. The drivers don't want to get into confrontation with the guest so that why some won't ask because guest like to complain to get free things and the drivers don't want to get in trouble.

Because the drivers are not seat police if their is no wheelchairs when a guest boards they can seat at any seat they want. Keeping in mind there are signs clearly posted saying you must give up these seats so the driver really dose not have to say anything. When a wheelchair needs to board then The driver will tell the guest to move since most gust don't want to follow posted signs or rules. The drivers don't want to get into confrontation with the guest so that why some won't ask because guest like to complain to get free things and the drivers don't want to get in trouble.

Hmmm, actually Federal Law does require the driver does say something to those able bodied individuals sitting in the handicapped seats so a person with a disability can sit there. If the bus is filled they do not have to ask them to get off, but they are required to ask them to vacate the handicapped seating. It is not always a wheelchair, but as we all know there are handicaps not visible to the eye that require folks to use this seating.

The people do not have to vacate the seating according to the law, but the transit operator can actually make a policy requiring them to do so. I am not sure if Disney has done this or not, though.

Whether the drivers do or do not ask, well that is the employer's (Disney's) issue to deal with. And if they do not deal with it, then the laws are written to ensure that this occurs.

Hmmm, actually Federal Law does require the driver does say something to those able bodied individuals sitting in the handicapped seats so a person with a disability can sit there. If the bus is filled they do not have to ask them to get off, but they are required to ask them to vacate the handicapped seating. It is not always a wheelchair, but as we all know there are handicaps not visible to the eye that require folks to use this seating.

The people do not have to vacate the seating according to the law, but the transit operator can actually make a policy requiring them to do so. I am not sure if Disney has done this or not, though.

Whether the drivers do or do not ask, well that is the employer's (Disney's) issue to deal with. And if they do not deal with it, then the laws are written to ensure that this occurs.

i never said they didn't have to by law just said they have signs and they are only required to ask guest in the seat with the wheelchair tie down points. the other seat yes they could ask but can not make anyone move because of the other law that forbids disney and the driver asking if you have a disability so they have to be carefully of who they ask. that why i stated they by federal law they have posted signs warning you about those seats so that should be enough but your right they also have to tell guest to move. They post signs on the other seats asking to give up the seats to guest who need them. they have the same signs posted on every disney bus also on every single public transportation has by federal law. If you see the driver not ask then ask the driver for their manager and speak to them but most drivers do ask.

If the ada and dot inspected disney transportation buses they would find them in full compliance of all federal laws.

i never said they didn't have to by law just said they have signs and they are only required to ask guest in the seat with the wheelchair tie down points. the other seat yes they could ask but can not make anyone move because of the other law that forbids disney and the driver asking if you have a disability so they have to be carefully of who they ask. that why i stated they by federal law they have posted signs warning you about those seats so that should be enough but your right they also have to tell guest to move. They post signs on the other seats asking to give up the seats to guest who need them. they have the same signs posted on every disney bus also on every single public transportation has by federal law. If you see the driver not ask then ask the driver for their manager and speak to them but most drivers do ask.

If the ada and dot inspected disney transportation buses they would find them in full compliance of all federal laws.

Plus, say I'm sitting down. I'm not "handicapped", but I do have a bad ankle that makes standing on a moving bus uncomfortable - I've fallen before doing this. Should the driver ask me to move even though I'm not in a wheelchair? Doesn't seem fair to me.

While it is posted and the driver should tell the people to move, it really depends on the driver. Some will ask, some will tell and some won't do anything at all and tell you to wait for the next bus. I once had to wait over 2 hours at Pleasure Island bus stop to All Stars because none of the drivers would ask people to move. Finally they had a driver change and that driver told them he wasn't moving the bus until people moved so he could load me and my PWC. God bless that driver.

Plus, say I'm sitting down. I'm not "handicapped", but I do have a bad ankle that makes standing on a moving bus uncomfortable - I've fallen before doing this. Should the driver ask me to move even though I'm not in a wheelchair? Doesn't seem fair to me.

Actually, you are one of the folks that this benefits. You would not be asked to move as your "bad ankle" that prevents you from standing on a moving bus is a handicap.

In fact, the driver should ask able bodied folks sitting in the handicapped seats to move to provide a seat for you to sit on so that you do not fall on the moving bus.

While it is posted and the driver should tell the people to move, it really depends on the driver. Some will ask, some will tell and some won't do anything at all and tell you to wait for the next bus. I once had to wait over 2 hours at Pleasure Island bus stop to All Stars because none of the drivers would ask people to move. Finally they had a driver change and that driver told them he wasn't moving the bus until people moved so he could load me and my PWC. God bless that driver.

Glad to hear that there was finally a driver who could assist you! It makes me sad to hear stories like this where you had to wait two hours just to get on the bus. This is when I truly think the laws need to be enforced, and to make sure that everyone is in compliance. God bless you...

Actually, you are one of the folks that this benefits. You would not be asked to move as your "bad ankle" that prevents you from standing on a moving bus is a handicap.

In fact, the driver should ask able bodied folks sitting in the handicapped seats to move to provide a seat for you to sit on so that you do not fall on the moving bus.

The difficulty in this situation is that some of the people being asked to move might also have invisible disabilities. Now, I have no problem with being asked to move, as I just explain that I need the seat because I have similar problems with my knees, but I do have a problem if people continue to ask me to move or glare at me even after I've explained.

Those seats are supposed to be vacated for people with disabilities who need them, and for the most part I have found that people are reasonable about it once I explain.

I never said it was fair bit if your searing in the seats that have the tie downs then you have to move. The other seat as I said the drivers can't ask if you have a disability so all they can do if asked us ask and if the guest says no then it no.

Glad to hear that there was finally a driver who could assist you! It makes me sad to hear stories like this where you had to wait two hours just to get on the bus. This is when I truly think the laws need to be enforced, and to make sure that everyone is in compliance. God bless you...

While I agree with most of what you said but hoqbiabthe driver supposed to know the guest sitting them selves don't have a hidden disability. And since they can't ask if you have a disability it puts the driver in a hard spot yes they can say to a guest please give up the seat but if the guest say no they need it. The driver can't force them to move.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter