Clearing bus seats for wheelchair/ecv?

Maybe the issue of the larger groups has to do more where people are staying and not that it is happening all over the parks. Maybe because people are staying at the value resorts, where bigger groups can afford to stay (or choose to stay), that is where the whole issue is.

I have not stayed at any of the value resorts, but have stayed at the moderate, deluxe, and DVC, and have never seen of the type of abuse that is being discussed here. Also the time of year could be a big issue too.

the new low floor buses front doors are wide enough to bring a folded wheelchair through.

here a video of a kid being load on the gillig bus this driver did everything right plus it shows what you option would be if the wheelchair can't be folded. It at the mk bus stop where lots of the disers complained about but it shows the driver doing his job and loading them first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zxDFPPnIFE&playnext=1&list=PLBB22426319F41335&feature=results_main

Thanks, that was very helpful for visualizing what things will look like. It wasn't what I was picturing at all for what it would be like loading if she stays in the wheelchair.

To the pp who mentioned her leg sticking out in the aisle, I'm not sure and hadn't really thought about that part. We don't have the short cast on yet, so I don't know what life will be like with it versus the full-leg cast we have now, but it's definitely something to think about, and I appreciate it!

munchkinsmomma24 said:
Thanks, that was very helpful for visualizing what things will look like. It wasn't what I was picturing at all for what it would be like loading if she stays in the wheelchair.

To the pp who mentioned her leg sticking out in the aisle, I'm not sure and hadn't really thought about that part. We don't have the short cast on yet, so I don't know what life will be like with it versus the full-leg cast we have now, but it's definitely something to think about, and I appreciate it!

Your welcome but don't feel like she has to come out of the chair to transfer to a seat. Id she dose not want to she can stay in the chair and ride in it. Now if you get an old lift bus which are very few so I say most likely you won't buy just in case I suggest her stating jn the chair because they have steep narrow stairs but again once your on the bus you have the choice to fold it tie it down. The only thin is if it can't fold then you will do what in the video and have it tied it down. The new buses are wider so it might not be a problem with the leg sticking out as much unless it full bus but if you travel off peak times you should be okay.

Had this happen to me. People will get on through the back door as if they are part of my party. I will tell the driver they are not with me and say that my husband is the only one with me if he is. Sometimes it is just me. Not adding any family.

In Feb, it was sooo crowded on the buses that my DH and I would just go and stand by the back doors. The kids would get a seat if they could.

We stopped at a stop and someone with a ECV needed to get on. It was easier for us to hop off the bus for a moment and wait, rather than trying to squish in.

When we hopped back on, the bus driver told us to get off the bus! LOL

We just told him "no" we were here already!

I guess there are people who try to sneak on!

I have a question. I am by no means trying to :stir: but I am confused about Disney policy and driver's discretion in regard to boarding policy. The same thing occured three times this past August. I'll only go into the first because they are all similiar. Our family of five was waiting for the bus to go back to Contemporary at about 4:00 from Hollywood Studios. We opted to wait for another bus because the first one was full by the time we got closer to the front. I have a physical disability and need a seat, so we opted to wait. About 15 minutes go by and there are about 30 people on the line. As the bus pulls up and start to load, a group of 12 ( 2 with scooters ) approach the line. The driver stops boarding the people in front and boards the scooters and then their party. So is this the Disney Policy or the Driver's discretion? Are people in scooters, ecv's, or wheelchairs required to stand the general line or do they have an alternate assigned entrance? So what is Disney's exact policy in regard to this issue?

I have a question. I am by no means trying to :stir: but I am confused about Disney policy and driver's discretion in regard to boarding policy. The same thing occured three times this past August. I'll only go into the first because they are all similiar. Our family of five was waiting for the bus to go back to Contemporary at about 4:00 from Hollywood Studios. We opted to wait for another bus because the first one was full by the time we got closer to the front. I have a physical disability and need a seat, so we opted to wait. About 15 minutes go by and there are about 30 people on the line. As the bus pulls up and start to load, a group of 12 ( 2 with scooters ) approach the line. The driver stops boarding the people in front and boards the scooters and then their party. So is this the Disney Policy or the Driver's discretion? Are people in scooters, ecv's, or wheelchairs required to stand the general line or do they have an alternate assigned entrance? So what is Disney's exact policy in regard to this issue?

As far as I know, there isn't an official policy. I think it is up to the bus driver. If I pulled up and they were already loading walking people on the bus, I would not expect to be loaded at that time, however, if the bus driver told me to load, I would. Most of the problems that I have experienced are in the nature of the driver not loading me when I have been waiting or failing to "see" me waiting.

I have to chime in on this topic... in December of last year we were at WDW. I'm in a small wheelchair, our two kids are unfazed by it, my husband is great with it too, and I self propel 90% of the time. My chair is obviously mine and is painted with a design on the back (in nail polish) and it was sometimes wearing colorful lights. Transportation (busses. monorail, rides, and ferries) were everything from easy to nightmarish with various CM's. Buses were by far the most challenging and at one point we waited an hour and a half in line leaving HS before we were allowed onto a bus back to our resort. After receiving appalled or scathing looks from some other guests even showing up for a queue was hard to take some times. My husband brushed it right off until my arm was injured and badly bruised by an angry man at MK, at which point I burst into tears. After a near lifetime of being called Gimpy and such by people, it was a bit painful to be such an object of revulsion, and it saddened the kids. We all bounced back, and truly enjoyed our trip! However, I dreaded each line for transportation. Enough so that we all decided to say closer in for future visits and walk/roll to as many parks as we could. Ferries were a bit more manageable and the Monorail was pleasant. I thanked each and every friendly and/or helpful person CM or not- and there were a lot of sweet souls!
My husband just said to add that the "Get to the front of the line thing," is a myth. I would say that is true 85%? of the time. Star Tours is the notable exception there, and the CM's were gems! A few rides do require a separate line, but often you are shunted off to another line once near the front. Usually this is because there are very few special cars to allow a mobility vehicle, and wait times can stretch on. ;) Because of a youth group event the day we visited MK an entire class of differently abled kids and their friends went ahead of us on Splash Mountain. :) We waited an hour, both of our children kept busy with sketching until the five year old got bored and feisty. Eventually it was our turn, and we had a blast!
We don't take the chair to the parks, on the boardwalk, on a bus, for fun, and I believe the same can be said of all of those on this board. Nothing like a soggy wheelchair all day after riding Kali River Rapids to make one question the idea of "fun"! ;) Still, at least we got to go! CM's do their best for all the guests at WDW and we just try and go with the flow, and remember to be grateful for the experience of it all. We're all there to add just a little magic to life! :goodvibes

Correct me if I'm wrong, (quite often I am ;)) but does the law not state in the ADA that if all the places for WCs are being used and there is no available space for WCs then the bus is considered full, and no other able bodied people are allowed to board?

If this is true, then the next bus would board the next person in line which would be the WC first, and the able bodied people would board next. I'm thinking is equal access.

Correct me if I'm wrong, (quite often I am ;)) but does the law not state in the ADA that if all the places for WCs are being used and there is no available space for WCs then the bus is considered full, and no other able bodied people are allowed to board?

If this is true, then the next bus would board the next person in line which would be the WC first, and the able bodied people would board next. I'm thinking is equal access.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying? If a bus with space for 3 wheelchairs arrives empty and boards 3 wheelchairs, it's considered full and no one else can get on? :confused3

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying? If a bus with space for 3 wheelchairs arrives empty and boards 3 wheelchairs, it's considered full and no one else can get on? :confused3

I'm sorry. I didn't explain it very well. what I meant to say was this.

If a bus pulls up, and there is room to load a wc, then it is loaded. Able people load too. However, If a bus pulls up and a wc is waiting to board, but there is not enough room for it, or no available spots to tie it down etc, then the bus is considered full, and no one else is allowed to board.

So, if the bus has room for 3 WCs and those three spots are being used to strap down 3 WCs, then if another WC wants to board there would be no room for that WC. The bus is now considered full. Since it is full, it stands to reason that no able bodied person may board. If there is not another WC waiting to board, then others may continue boarding untill there is no longer any room for them. The bus is full. That way, the access is equal for both the able or disabled.

Now, I may have this backwards, but I thought this was the ADA law.

I'm sorry. I didn't explain it very well. what I meant to say was this.

If a bus pulls up, and there is room to load a wc, then it is loaded. Able people load too. However, If a bus pulls up and a wc is waiting to board, but there is not enough room for it, or no available spots to tie it down etc, then the bus is considered full, and no one else is allowed to board.

So, if the bus has room for 3 WCs and those three spots are being used to strap down 3 WCs, then if another WC wants to board there would be no room for that WC. The bus is now considered full. Since it is full, it stands to reason that no able bodied person may board. If there is not another WC waiting to board, then others may continue boarding untill there is no longer any room for them. The bus is full. That way, the access is equal for both the able or disabled.

Now, I may have this backwards, but I thought this was the ADA law.

Gosh, I would hope not!

That would mean if there were 20 people and one wheelchair at a stop and a bus arrived holding only two wheelchairs (no other people) only the one wheelchair could load! This would mean all of the others would be left behind even though the bus was all but empty since it actually only had only 3 wheelchairs on board!

Had this happen to me. People will get on through the back door as if they are part of my party. I will tell the driver they are not with me and say that my husband is the only one with me if he is. Sometimes it is just me. Not adding any family.
This has happened to us quite often too. At times, our party has looked like 10 or 12 because of hangers on or people with strollers who took advantage of the door being open to seek on.
This has happened when our actual group was 3 and when our actual group was larger, but only 2 boarded from the back and the rest waited in line.

It has happened Both at bus lines and in attractions - the 'best' attraction is Killimanjaro Safari where we have had people behind us tell the CM they were with us.
We said they were not, so they said, "we didn't mean them, we meant the group ahead" ( who also said they were not with them ). This has happened several times on the safari. I think the best punishment would have been to make them come with us. That particular day, we waited in the 'special line' for 30 extra minutes compared to what those people actually would have waited.
Maybe the issue of the larger groups has to do more where people are staying and not that it is happening all over the parks. Maybe because people are staying at the value resorts, where bigger groups can afford to stay (or choose to stay), that is where the whole issue is.

I have not stayed at any of the value resorts, but have stayed at the moderate, deluxe, and DVC, and have never seen of the type of abuse that is being discussed here. Also the time of year could be a big issue too.
I agree that it's more likely to be a problem at the value resorts - because that's where more of the complaints posted about have been - for whatever reason.
Larger groups are less likely to rent cars or vans than small groups, partly because they would not all fit.
WDW has always had 'group' for guests with disabilities defined as a total of 6 people. Enforcing it is up to driver discretion. The signs at resort bus stops do say the party total is 6 people.

There are probably as many reports of people with wheelchairs being denied entry or ignored, even when the bus is not full. But, those are noticed by people with disabilities and probably passed over by other readers.

buses nd other forms of transportation are covered under transportation laws (not ADA), but do have some ADA-like provisions.
A bus driver who is/was a DIS had told me that was what drivers we're taught and he sent me a link, which I lost and was never able to find again. I think it was part of a settlement between and city and some people with disabilities who were consistently denied access when there was room. The drivers were loading walking guests first and then saying there was no room or the guest in the wheelchair - even when that guest had waited through several buses already.

Most WDW bus drivers are nice, but we have encountered some who just do not want to load a wheelchair.
- drivers who came out of the bus to tell us (very quietly) that they could not load the wheelchair because the wheelchair seats had people on them ( there were less than a dozen people on the bus, so many vacant people).
- a driver who was talking to a guest who stepped onto the bus for a full 5 minutes (not giving directions or nothing, just shooting the breeze). He was actively avoiding looking at us, ignored us and when he was done talking to that guest, said he could not load DD's wheelchair because wheelchairs have to be loaded first and he already had guests on the bus ( all of 5 guests) so we would need to wait or the next bus.

These are just 2 examples of many we have experienced over the years. I have read similar stories by other posters or had PMs with the stories.
For every one "12 people boarded with the wheelchair" there is probable a matching "the driver would not let us board for no good reason" example.

This has happened to us quite often too. At times, our party has looked like 10 or 12 because of hangers on or people with strollers who took advantage of the door being open to seek on.

Yeah, a lot of people will storm on board the bus as soon as the door is open, whether the driver tells them it's OK or not. It's not only frustrating for loading wheelchairs, but for letting people off, too!

Most WDW bus drivers are nice, but we have encountered some who just do not want to load a wheelchair.
- drivers who came out of the bus to tell us (very quietly) that they could not load the wheelchair because the wheelchair seats had people on them ( there were less than a dozen people on the bus, so many vacant people).
- a driver who was talking to a guest who stepped onto the bus for a full 5 minutes (not giving directions or nothing, just shooting the breeze). He was actively avoiding looking at us, ignored us and when he was done talking to that guest, said he could not load DD's wheelchair because wheelchairs have to be loaded first and he already had guests on the bus ( all of 5 guests) so we would need to wait or the next bus.

These are just 2 examples of many we have experienced over the years. I have read similar stories by other posters or had PMs with the stories.
For every one "12 people boarded with the wheelchair" there is probable a matching "the driver would not let us board for no good reason" example.

I personally think if everyone were forced to take just one trip to Disney in a wheelchair or scooter (including the bus drivers!) they'd have a new understanding and respect for those who need to use them all the time.

In December 2010 I had herniated a disc and had to use a scooter for our trip since I couldn't walk well and certainly not for more than a few feet.

I only had one issue with a bus driver who "didn't see" me :-)confused3) but the rudeness and nasty looks were unbelievable. :(

A little respect and kindness goes a long way. :goodvibes

I do wonder sometimes if it would be easier if the seats for disabled guests were reserved and not used by able body people at all. I know people might have a point that it takes up extra room if there are no disabled people on board but a person with disabilities could board the bus at any time. That way the bus driver does not have to ask people to move. Here in the uk thats mainly the way our transport works. The tubes in london ( underground ) are often standing room only with the disabled seats free for me to use. It makes it much easier as you arent dependant on people moving.

What a blatant lie. Especially if there were only 5 other guests on the bus, there would have been plenty of room for him to load your DD's wheelchair safely through the back door. I can understand if the bus was packed and there wasn't space to load the chair safely, but with only 5 guests on the bus there's no excuse for him not loading you.

I think the real problem (besides drivers who are unwilling to enforce the seating regulations clearly posted on their own buses) is that most people who visit WDW do not ride public transportation regularly and are not accustomed to public transit etiquette. In NYC, if a bus pulls up and there is a wheelchair waiting to board, the driver walks back to the WC tie-down spot and tells anyone sitting in those seats that they need to move. More often than not, people just get up without being asked because they know they have to. At least in my experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter