CLOSED: Place or Space?

My family of four is headed to Disney for the first time in Nov/Dec (7 nights). We have 2 daughters, ages 4 and 7. We will also be traveling with my parents. We do plan to purchase the dining plan.

We were hoping to split a 2bdrm at BCV, but they are booked. My question is, do I go for 2 studios at BCV, or opt for a 2bdrm at another resort.

I don't know if you specifically inquired yet but I would be beyond shocked if you could book two Studios at BCV for November / December (I'm assuming that means a week that encompasses both months) at this point.

Regardless I'd get the two bedroom--no matter the resort. IMO, you can't bet the full kitchen, washer / dryer, jacuzzi tub, extra space, etc. With the cost of a 2B and two studios being so close, the studios seems like a waste of money. Unless you really need the separation from the other family members, there's no reason not to get the larger room, IMO. You can stay in a room the size of a studio no matter where you vacation. If you get a 2B, you'll be talking about this trip for years to come.

I don't know if you specifically inquired yet but I would be beyond shocked if you could book two Studios at BCV for November / December (I'm assuming that means a week that encompasses both months) at this point.

Regardless I'd get the two bedroom--no matter the resort. IMO, you can't bet the full kitchen, washer / dryer, jacuzzi tub, extra space, etc. With the cost of a 2B and two studios being so close, the studios seems like a waste of money. Unless you really need the separation from the other family members, there's no reason not to get the larger room, IMO. You can stay in a room the size of a studio no matter where you vacation. If you get a 2B, you'll be talking about this trip for years to come.

I have to agree with the availablity issue and getting the 2 bedroom. For our girls trip last month, I had booked 2 studios at SSR for the 4 of us after our weekend stay at BWV.
When we moved over to SSR, I knew that the 2 studios would be a hassle and cause us to have to communicate and coordinate more to get together.

That also meant relying on cell phones to keep up with each other and I dont like using my cell phone alot on vacation.
Plus, it would split us up more than I would like. There was no guarantee our studios would be near each other or in the same bldg. I upgraded at check in to a ded. 2 bedroom. It was only 10 points more per night than 2 studios and it was well spent. We had a great time!! We had room to spread out but still be together. We weren't constantly calling each other on cell phones to meet up etc. We made coffee every morning and watched lifetime (they were wore out on the parks after 1 day and a half) That and 2 of us caught colds and the big tub and laundry was really nice to have because we ended up spending more time in than we planned.

I also agree with Bobbi. Not only is the weather unpredictable, but SAB closes fairly early in value season. Usually around 6 or 7 pm. You would have to dedicate daytime hours to use it and that may conflict with park time most days but 1.

UConnJack says: If he never sets foot in a 2-br, how would he know what he's missing (besides us telling him, of course ). On the flip side, he will immediately know what he is missing in terms of location if he visits the Boardwalk or Wilderness Lodge.

We never felt like we were "missing" anything when we stay at OKW. And this includes our early park commando days. I never "get" when people say this but everyone has their own opinions.

Another very nice factor when staying in a 2 bedroom vs 2 studios, is that you can put the kiddies to bed at night and the adults can hang out and relax in the living room without fear of waking the kids or having to sneak around them. You can sit out on the couch and unwind a bit with a glass of wine or whatever while the kids are sleeping in a seperate room. For us this has greatly enhanced our vacation experience over the years, allowing us some private down-time as parents.

Two bedroom at OKW is our favorite choice and I own at OKW, BCV and SSR. The balcony is what really does it for us and of course the extra space when there are more than 2 of us. With the ages of the children it will be easier to keep track of them at the pools there than at SAB if one is a swimmer and the other not. I am one that does not really see what the Boardwalk has to offer that would be so great for children that age in the evening etc and really the bus transportation has always been fine for getting anywhere we wanted to go. In fact the worst bus service we had to the MK was when staying at the BCV. We also like taking the boat to DTD to eat at WGPE and EoS with counter service credits.
Studios are nice and are as some have said essentially regular hotel rooms with the addition of a kitchenette. They may be a little bigger but not all that much IMHO

My views come from being the grandparent who really likes having the family together in one unit if we can manage it. There is just something more special about the trip that way. Not everyone will agree as some like the privacy and solitude after a day of togetherness.

As you originally posted SPACE OR LOCATION - ultimately only you can decide what is the most important for you and yours.

Whatever you decide you should have a wonderful trip -

Most people do their Disney vacations out of a hotel room, you don't NEED a multiple bedroom villa to thoroughly enjoy it. 1- and 2-brs are great, but even the studios are a definite upgrade from a normal hotel room at a value, moderate, or off-site. Keep in mind, we DVC members get spoiled the moment we stay in a 1 or 2-br. The OP is a renter who is looking for an upgrade from a hotel room. Even with a couple studios, he absolutely gets that and the location (which I think he will ultimately appreciate more) to boot.

No you don't NEED more then one hotel room, but it sure adds to the quality of the vacation! IMO the studios accomadations are not an upgrade over a hotel room. A little larger then a mod room plus a micro. Some kids can sleep together fine. Mine can't. DD4 is a kicker (I don't want to sleep with her!) and DD-11 doesn't sleep well. Being able to let DD4 sleep until 9 on our sleep in days while the rest of us get up and eat, etc. is wonderful. She is a much happier child for the next few days. The alone time for DH and myself in the evening, as Mia expressed, is wonderful. I have not so fond memories of lying in bed in the dark waiting until the girls were sound asleep so we could whisper - in the dark, then fumble around to find things for tomorrow - in the dark.

OP I bet you never thought you would get this much controversy over 2 studio vs. a 2 bedroom!!

I would get a 2 br at any resort over 2 studios. IMO all of the resorts are great. I haven't met one I didn't love.:cloud9: I really don't get the it is closer to the parks thing. I wouldn't pick being cramped up in 1 room, 1 small bathroom for 13 hours or more (sleeping ,down time, getting ready, quick breakfast etc) just so I could walk 10 min. instead of a 10- 15 min ride by bus or car and SAB. The weather can be hit and miss that time of year. It can get quite cool in December. We have had full weeks where we couldn't swim hardly at all , if any (even the kids). I would pick togetherness but with space:grouphug:, the full kitchen, laundry, big tub, 2 bathrooms, full living room, still very nice pools, amenities and yes the dreaded 15 min. bus or car ride for this trip. Then I would rent or buy points, plan at 11 months in advance for a warmer time to get a 2 br at BCV with the proximity to parks and SAB. Just an :idea: .

In Dec.we had the same options that you are mulling over now. We ended up with the 2 bdrm at OKW and it was so much better than 2 studios. As others have pointed out the kids went to bed early and the adults had happy hour out on the porch. We really loved having the washer and dryer. The full kitchen was so handy for breakfast and quick snacks. It was a bit cool for swimming but perfect for taking the boat to DTD. And OKW 2 bdrms are HUGE.

I would get a 2 br at any resort over 2 studios. IMO all of the resorts are great. I haven't met one I didn't love. I really don't get the it is closer to the parks thing.
I totally agree with you on this Kelly. We also love all the DVC resorts---each has something unique to offer. So I guess for us, it's space over place. The perfect scenario for the OP, since they mentioned BCV, would be a 2 bedroom there. But as TKraz pointed out, that's going to be pretty tough to get at this point. Late Nov/early Dec is prime time for DVC Members and the smaller resorts book fast.

Gosh... I thought by the time I got to the end of these posts there would be a consensus, but it looks pretty split. So, I'll throw in my 2 cents.

First. Since you are going to Disney World PLEASE stay on disney or DVC property. Your experience will be dimished greatly if you don't. Seriously, this is the most important thing I can say to you.

Second. For us the full kitchen and laundry is nearly a must. The only time we do a studio (Inn Room actually) is at Vero Beach to have the ocean front view. SAB would be nice, but this is your first WDW encounter and you all are going to have so much fun it doesn't really matter for this trip. Go with the 2 bedroom at OKW or SSR.

I'm not sure, but I think I just disagreed with Starbox... :goodvibes

it's a tough call. The studio rooms at OKW are much bigger then the ones at the other resorts.

A 1/2 bedroom will give you more of the comforts of home. Washer and dryer, stove, fridge etc.

I tend to favor BCV. I love Storm-a-long bay, the quick walk to EPCOT and it's one of my home resorts.:banana:

If you are going to be eatting out quite a bit go with the studios at least you will have some "alone time" If you plan on eatting in or need the laundry "in room" go with the bedrooms.

We never felt like we were "missing" anything when we stay at OKW. And this includes our early park commando days. I never "get" when people say this but everyone has their own opinions.

Another very nice factor when staying in a 2 bedroom vs 2 studios, is that you can put the kiddies to bed at night and the adults can hang out and relax in the living room without fear of waking the kids or having to sneak around them. You can sit out on the couch and unwind a bit with a glass of wine or whatever while the kids are sleeping in a seperate room. For us this has greatly enhanced our vacation experience over the years, allowing us some private down-time as parents.

I totally agree! I would never consider walking to parks a big "plus" over taking a bus that gets you there just as fast or faster. Sure, of you stay at BCV, you will be a few steps away from Epcot, but with kids the ages of theirs, they are likely to spend far more time at MK. In that case, SSR and OKW have a much better and faster transportation system to that park. Add to that the comfort and convenience of the space at OKW, and it seems like a no brainer to me. Just being able to put the kids down and still have adult space is so worth it in my book. I too really doubt that BCV is going to have 2 studios left for that time period now. This is a VERY popular time for most of us DVCers, and it could be that only OKW and SSR will be available. That is, unless they are paying rack rate from CRO.

D-right!!! Heah... your avatar is recently new. Are those angel wings?

Yup. I'm sort of a nerd about the wings. I take pictures of all of my friends wearing them (and holding lit sparklers). They make me :goodvibes happy.

Alternate theory:

The kids are running around the room because they won't go down and want to do more, they don't understand why they came all this way to sit in a stupid hotel room when there is a perfectly good pool downstairs and four parks to explore. The parents are twiddling their thumbs, bored and frustrated by cooped up kids, looking out the window watching the world outside go by without them. They too wonder why they spent $$$ to sit in the hotel room. They wish they were at BCV where they could send to kids to the Kids Club and go out to the Flying Fish and Jellyrolls. Or maybe they can pawn the kids off with the grandparents in the other room way down the hall ;).

I believe that theory only applies if you have booked two studios and/or have an aversion to the pools at OKW & SSR.

Keep in mind, SAB is some parents' nightmare with kids the age of the OP's. They're just old enough to swim away and yet young enough not to trust out of eyesight. My brother's kids would love it but then they are older and have been in swim league for the last 3 years. Still I don't think they're trusting the 6 year old on her own yet. She just got out of floaties.

Also, you overestimate the appeal of Epcot to kids that young. My nephews that age cry boredom after an hour. MGM is a bit better, but then I don't think they'd be able to walk that far, which leaves them at the mercy of the ferry schedule. Might as well take the bus.

The one thing BCV does have as an advantage is the character meal at Cape May. But again, you could always hop a resort bus from DTD or just head over to MK and do Chef Mickey's instead. (Both are on par with eachother and only CM has Mickey Mouse.)

Ideally, CRV would be around and the OP could book there. Or else there would be availability at VWL (snowball's chance in Hades now). I agree with Diane that as a first timer and with young kids, the OP will probably be visiting MK most of the time. Runner-ups would be MGM and AK with Epcot a distant 4th.

Thank-goodness there is something good about the studios at OKW:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:
I plan on staying at them for the next 10 or so years,,,
To each there own but they looked pretty good when I did my tour of them.
hugs Mel

I believe that theory only applies if you have booked two studios and/or have an aversion to the pools at OKW & SSR.

Keep in mind, SAB is some parents' nightmare with kids the age of the OP's. They're just old enough to swim away and yet young enough not to trust out of eyesight. My brother's kids would love it but then they are older and have been in swim league for the last 3 years. Still I don't think they're trusting the 6 year old on her own yet. She just got out of floaties.

Also, you overestimate the appeal of Epcot to kids that young. My nephews that age cry boredom after an hour. MGM is a bit better, but then I don't think they'd be able to walk that far, which leaves them at the mercy of the ferry schedule. Might as well take the bus.

The one thing BCV does have as an advantage is the character meal at Cape May. But again, you could always hop a resort bus from DTD or just head over to MK and do Chef Mickey's instead. (Both are on par with eachother and only CM has Mickey Mouse.)

Ideally, CRV would be around and the OP could book there. Or else there would be availability at VWL (snowball's chance in Hades now). I agree with Diane that as a first timer and with young kids, the OP will probably be visiting MK most of the time. Runner-ups would be MGM and AK with Epcot a distant 4th.

I understand what you are saying, but the only point I am trying to make is that for a first timer, furthermore a renter and not owner that makes multiple trips over the years, that the room itself is probably less important than the overall WDW experience. IMHO, your average occasional WDW guest (e.g., a few times in a lifetime) would be more focused on visiting parks and enjoying resort activities than spending time in a room. For this type of person (again, I am making assupmtions of what the OP's priorities may be), I think the Boardwalk resorts or VWL would impress them more from a "wow" and theme immersion standpoint than SSR or OKW, and that this is more important than the rooms themsleves. Considering less than 95% of WDW on-site guests stay in anything more than a hotel room or studio, I think the OP would be well ahead of the game and in a far better room than most guests even if they were "slumming it" in a studio and not a 2-br.

Also, while I agree the EPCOT is not the best park for kids, but as a first timer I assume they will likely still spend at least 1 day there and a day at MGM, so staying in the Boardwalk area is still more convienient than OKW and SSR. I actually personnally think VWL is the best DVC to recommend to first timers due to its proximity to MK and the wow factor of the resort. Not that I have beef with the bus system, I love it and use it all the time, but I like the variety staying at the Boardwalk gives me. Take a boat one day (MGM), wlk one day (EPCOT), and take busses to MK and AK, rather than having to take the busses everywhere.

I also agree that SAB is better overall for older kids, but can be very fun for adults with their younger kids nonetheless. A parent isn't going to let a 4-yr old play in the pool without being directly supervised anyway.

Yup. I'm sort of a nerd about the wings. I take pictures of all of my friends wearing them (and holding lit sparklers). They make me :goodvibes happy.

I understand. Dw and I are nerds of a different feather. We are bird nerds. We love the birds. All wildlife actually, but birds in particular. DW will be talking to someone about our birds (wild) and I guess she sees something the other's face and she says "I KNOW.... we're nerds" :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter