Closed Rides - Hmmm...

hyzdufan

DIS Veteran
I was just thinking the other day about something. When Disney closes a ride down, what do they do with all the stuff inside it?

Alien Encounter, Food Rocks, heck, even Horizons and World of Motion. What happens to all those animatronics and ride components?

I mean, they can't just throw it all away. Well, I guess they could, but what a waste it would be. Has anyone ever seen a recycled Disney ride part anywhere else being used?

An amusement park we visited had some of Disneys old ECVs, we knew because they had EC and a number (for Epcot center) and AK and a number (for Animal Kingdom) still on them. A couple was riding them ahead of us...so they do sell off some things for others to use.

Used in attractions still operating and some times sold.I know when they replaced Dumbo ride cars they were sold I saw in newspaper where one fetched $35,000.00 WOW.:wave2:

Disney sometimes sells these items on EBAY.

Last year they even had the nose cone/front section of a monorail car. They also frequently sell other items on EBAY including old banners.

I suspect a lot of this stuff is also in storage.::MickeyMo

Some of the stuff goes to "Property Control" where CMs can purchase it. I had the opportunity to go there last year with a friend who was a CM. All merchandise was 75% off and there were chairs (hotel lobby style) for sale.

pin

I know they sent old monorails out. I remember hearing that somewhere. I'm still curious though. Maybe a CM would be able to answer?

There is a warehouse building near WDW (Im thinkin in Kissimmee) that holds alot of old "treasures" I know several Monorail CMs that went on a field trip to see the 'rail(s) they had stored there before they were cannibilized for ebay

-em

I'm not 100% sure about WDW. But at DL, all of the charaters from the show "America Sings" ended up on Splash Mountain, in one form or another.

Now one of the subs from 20,000 leagues under the sea ended up at the bottom of the ocean at Castaway Cay, Disney's private Island for the DCL.

And you can also see one on the Backlot Tour, at Disney-MGM.

There was recently (within about the last 6 weeks) a ride vehicle from Mr. Toad's Wild Ride on Ebay that was at $3500 the last time I saw it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter