(CLOSED) The Smoking DSA's @ Resorts Info Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trekker

I've gone to find myself, If I return make me stay
Alright everybody - The resort board mods are willing to give this a try. This is the thread to discuss the designated smoking areas at the resorts for the resorts board.

Here are the basic guidelines!

1. No fighting, name calling or debate on the merits of smoking.

2. No flaming anyone - including but not limited to smokers.

3. Any post deemed off topic or in anyway against the posting guidelines will be deleted without comment and the poster will received an infraction.

4. Any other thread started on the resort board for the "smoking" topic will either be merged into this thread or closed with a note to see this thread.

Please abide by these guidelines - and everyone can get the info they need.

If this does not work we will once again ban this topic from the resort board.

Hi all,

OK this is cool - I posted a smoking question earlier, then realized it was a no-no, now they've allowed it - let's all be nice ;)

Here's my questions....

Any smokers that have visited recently and can offer any advice on the new policy at the resorts?

Specifically, I'll be at the Grand Floridian in August. A couple of things I am curious about...
1) How were the designated smoking areas at the GF - adequate?
2) Did you, or did you notice, people on their balconies smoking?
(I do a lot of business travel and stay at Marriott almost all the time - they have a 100% non-smoking policy but I can always go out on the balcony, close the door behind me so as not to allow smoke to drift into the room, keep the balcony clean of butts and ashes, and have never had a problem). Are they "policing" this aspect of it?
3) I hear that there are some areas of the GF that do not have 'private' balconies. I am not sure what this means, but I assume they are some type of common balcony. Anyone familiar with this?

Thanks for any info

JimC

OK just returned from BCV.

Had a room across on 1st floor from the pool area DSA. DW had no problems at all walking out the patio doors into that area. She alos used the one between the BCV and BCI area as well as the one at cape May.MSmade the request for us when i contacted them aout the change. Could have had a 5th fl room at 10:30 but was told of the 1st fl general area being held for us ,we decided to just hit the parks and wait (well worth it)

They seem to have plenty with a very short walk most under cover but not in a common walking area..

JimC # 2 ) Thats what DW has always done but now is a no-no at stated in the policy

We did still see balcony and patio smoking ( may have checked in before the deadline as this was allowed fromwhat we were told . We wree there from the 2nd to the 9th). Also noticed smoking in a few rooms on the backside when the curtians were open late at night while walking from Epcot in the backs of the buildings.

Did not notice a lot of smokers walking around the Bc/BW area just a few here and there.Cms seemed to be letting smokersknow in the parks a bit more then before so maybe it will carry on.

Again not a big deal DW adjusted fine and those areas seemed to be vacant from NonSmokers as well.

Jim:

I can't comment on your questions exactly...

I recently stayed at Coronado Springs.. and here's what I discovered there.

- When I checked in - the actual smoking area maps were not yet available and few if any of the CM's knew exactly what to do on the 1st of June. Not surprising given the size of the organization and the sudden-ness of the change.

- For the first few days, I simply looked for one of those 'ashtray' type things they had around CSR and stood and smoked by that. Turned out .. they were pretty much located where the DSA's ended up being placed when the maps came out. Probably by design.

- Smoking areas varied from place to place. Some were more inviting than others.

- There are no balconies at CSR only common our door hallways etc. The last day I was there, a woman was smoking just outside her room not far from the actual designated smoking area. A CM happened by in a golf cart and just pointed out where the actual smoking area was and she quickly moved over to the actual area. So some policing does appear to be happening.

- Balconies are explicitly included in the no smoking plan. The reason for this is you smoking on your balcony can affect the use and enjoyment of those in rooms to the left and right of.. and above and below you. I can't say if they are enforcing this aspect of it at GF or not. But it seems reasonable to expect that they probably are.

- Some rooms in the GF do not have any balcony whatsoever. Public or otherwise.

- I was at the parks from May 30 to June 03 and I only ever saw one person smoking outside the DSA's in the parks. Everyone else seemed to be doing a great job of smoking within the DSA's at the parks.

Hope this helps.

Knox

I was wanting to know if anyone know anything about the Animal Kingdom Lodge. My husband is a smoker but never smokes around our son but would like to know how convenient the areas are. We will be staying there for the first time this october. Thanks in advance.

Ashley

ashbee:

As you can see from this map here..

http://www.wdwinfo.com/maps/DAKLMap.pdf

There are only a couple of smoking areas for the entire resort. This is by design and meant partly to protect the animals from ingesting abandoned cigarette butts, inhaling smoke etc.

Knox

Thanks for the thread! Would it be possible to get a map of Downtown Disney smoking areas?

I would like to know how the fine aspect is being addressed. Do they advise you when you check in, or is just in the fine print with the other terms and conditions you sign for? What do you do if your room smells of smoke when you check in? Thanks to anyone who knows!

Just wanted to know if anyone has been to the POFQ? How were the DSA's there? Im wondering if I should request a certain bldg so my dad dosent have to walk too far.

TIA

I would like to know how the fine aspect is being addressed. Do they advise you when you check in, or is just in the fine print with the other terms and conditions you sign for? What do you do if your room smells of smoke when you check in? Thanks to anyone who knows!

They did not mention it to me on the 2nd. I had to ask for another map as the one they gave me was old and didn't have the DSAs on it ,but the one sitting on the counter in front of the CM did.

I did sign a paper what looked like a standard hotel sign-in sheet . Did not read it but I'm sure thats where it is in fine print.

If your room smells of smoke I would report it right away and have it noted and signed for a copy, if you decide to stay in the room.

I was wanting to know if anyone know anything about the Animal Kingdom Lodge. My husband is a smoker but never smokes around our son but would like to know how convenient the areas are. We will be staying there for the first time this october. Thanks in advance.

Ashley

I am at AKL right now.

There are 3 smoking areas

a few benches between the exterior door to Zawati and entrance to lobby -

There's an ashtray with no seating outside the door going into Boma/Jiko restaurant areas.

The entire bar area with tables, chairs & umbrellas - including the bar itself - all have ashtrays.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the thread! Would it be possible to get a map of Downtown Disney smoking areas?

I might be wrong on this.. but certainly as far as Pleasure Island goes.. I haven't seen anything to indicate that DSA's are in force there.

As for the Marketplace.. I believe there are DSA's there and they aren't new. They've been in place for a while is my understanding.

I'll try to locate a map by tomorrow.

Knox

OK just returned from BCV.

Had a room across on 1st floor from the pool area DSA. DW had no problems at all walking out the patio doors into that area. She alos used the one between the BCV and BCI area as well as the one at cape May.MSmade the request for us when i contacted them aout the change. Could have had a 5th fl room at 10:30 but was told of the 1st fl general area being held for us ,we decided to just hit the parks and wait (well worth it)

They seem to have plenty with a very short walk most under cover but not in a common walking area..

JimC # 2 ) Thats what DW has always done but now is a no-no at stated in the policy

We did still see balcony and patio smoking ( may have checked in before the deadline as this was allowed fromwhat we were told . We wree there from the 2nd to the 9th). Also noticed smoking in a few rooms on the backside when the curtians were open late at night while walking from Epcot in the backs of the buildings.

Did not notice a lot of smokers walking around the Bc/BW area just a few here and there.Cms seemed to be letting smokersknow in the parks a bit more then before so maybe it will carry on.

Again not a big deal DW adjusted fine and those areas seemed to be vacant from NonSmokers as well.

We had originally requested a smoking room at the YC so we could smoke on the balcony. (Even before the change I didn't smoke inside and didn't think I should smoke on the balcony of a non-smoking room.) When the policy changed, I changed my room request to "First Floor/Easy Access to a DSA." We'll see next week if I got my request and how things are working with a few weeks experience.

How does it work at the pools? Is there a seperate area near the pool where people smoke? Or is smoking allowed in the pool area in general?

The map for CBR shows DSAs just about everywhere. Has anyone been? Is this misleading or accurate?

Some resorts have more smoking areas than others. This seems to be by design.. While I haven't been to CBR in particular, I have no reason to doubt the map's veracity. They came from Disney directly after all. :)

By most pools there is a specific area for smoking. Usually this is at the pool-bar if there is one present there.

Knox

At the WL right now and as of tonight there have been 4 people that I know of that have been charged $250 for smoking in their rooms/on their balconies. So it sounds like there is no "soft opening" for this new policy.

Some resorts have more smoking areas than others. This seems to be by design.. While I haven't been to CBR in particular, I have no reason to doubt the map's veracity. They came from Disney directly after all. :)

By most pools there is a specific area for smoking. Usually this is at the pool-bar if there is one present there.

Knox

I understand what you're saying and it makes me happy. I was just expecting like one DSA per island and it looks to be more like 4 or 5 per island, which is good for me as a smoker but surprising because what's the point if just about every walkway/entry point for each island is a DSA? Know what I mean?

I wonder if they have some kind of statistical information that says more of CBR guests request smoking rooms than any other resort or something.

As I noted earlier.. certain resorts have WAY more smoking areas than others. And that seems to be by design. For example, compare SSR and Boardwalk and you'll see that Boardwalk has lots more DSA's.

Knox

Is it just me or does the Grand Floridian map appear to show a smoking area on the 3rd floor of the main building? That would have to be the concierge balcony if I'm reading this right. I thought that balconies are an explicit no-no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter