Closing a popular ride??????

For me, the attraction of the Great Movie Ride is that it was mildly entertaining, but a long-ish and air conditioned break from being outside. As for Carousel of Progress, I personally find it more entertaining. But I think that one's level of interest in the Carousel of Progress is at least partially tied to their understanding and appreciation for the history and significance of the ride. Not only is it an interesting look at how much technology changed during Walt Disney's life, it was also one of the last major attractions that he worked on. While it could be updated, I don't know that it would be the same without the original scenes. And I am not sure there is any way to add new scenes without removing some of the old ones.

As you can tell from my photo, I love GMR and was even a tour guide on it in the '90s. It does need some work, though. I'm just glad they are keeping the building! Now if it could just be regular Mickey in the new attraction rather than the one from the new shorts ... Not a huge fan of that look.

I like GMR. And it's DDs favourite ride. But objectively speaking, it's outdated and a good candidate for revival.

However, I wish we'd actually had a bit more notice. A month doesn't quite cut it for me.

GMR is one of my favorites. And, yes, I have seen all the movies depicted. I'm in my mid 40s, and most of the movies today don't even come close to the movies depicted in the ride.

I miss it already.

My 9 year old daughter, who has only seen the Wizard of Oz, cried when she found out that the GMR is closing. She liked the ride, which goes to show you that you can enjoy GMR without having seen the movies.

I

I'm also in my mid 40s and have seen most of the movies depicted. I will miss it and hate to see it go. IMO, the only thing stale about it is the spiel done by the CMs and the fake hijacking.....and I have read that some people have actually decided to watch some of the movies due to the ride. I know the preshow is what made me watch "The Searchers."

The basic reason is because of the contract. Disney will have not the rights to show any of these movies anymore so it had to close once the contract finished. They must of decided to just do it straight away, which means that they paid out the remaining part of the contract. I though that they would not of closed it until next year, but they problerly have a timetable set that most of major contruction at HS will finish at X Date (star wars opening)

I think you guys are conflating TCM and the parent company and older licensing agreements that existed with the opening of the ride.

I know the closure of Great American Movie Ride is a done deal but I just can't understand why Disney would close a ride that is still very popular.
Well, I guess there are varying degrees of popular. I'm with some of the PP's that this attraction, while fun, has long since passed the point where it needed to be updated.

The Great Movie Ride doesn't fit the theme of the park anymore. Hollywood Studios is completely changing and imo changing for the better.

Don't agree, its changing into a park just like epcot. No theme anymore. I don't know how the mickey ride will work, but my guess is they will eliminate the cast member going on every ride. Likely why its closing, saving costs. I'm sure they will close jungle cruise too if they can find a way to do it.

He hasn't been since his heart attack. And now I can't think of any ride he can go on. It is a sad statement of that park that there are no rides at all that are suitable for everyone.

What about toystory? The muppet movie?

Yes, probably. I have vertigo and can't go on Star Tours, TOT and RRC, so there aren't any rides left in the park that are mellow.

He hasn't been since his heart attack. And now I can't think of any ride he can go on. It is a sad statement of that park that there are no rides at all that are suitable for everyone.

This brings up the question, "What rides used to be at DHS that were mellow and suitable for everyone that are no longer there?"

Don't agree, its changing into a park just like epcot. No theme anymore. I don't know how the mickey ride will work, but my guess is they will eliminate the cast member going on every ride. Likely why its closing, saving costs. I'm sure they will close jungle cruise too if they can find a way to do it.

The new theme that Disney is going for is u being immersed into your favorite movies. As of now the theme doesn't work Bc it isn't completed. Once TSL, SWGE and MRR opens up they can work on the other parts of HS like Echo Lake and Sunset Blvd so the theme comes full circle. They also have to change the park name as that doesn't fit anymore.

What about toystory? The muppet movie?

Well, the muppet movie isn't a ride:ssst:. And it is something we will definitely do! I'm not sure about Toy Story, I thought it had the warning on it for people with heart problems. I'm trying to figure out how to balance what dad needs, and letting the dare devils do ToT and RnR and us lesser dare devils do Star Tours and Toy Story. I don't want dad just hanging out alone most of the time.

This brings up the question, "What rides used to be at DHS that were mellow and suitable for everyone that are no longer there?"

Great American Movie Ride and backlot tour. Now there will be none. Even if it just a few, it's nice to have some to ride.

I like GMR. And it's DDs favourite ride. But objectively speaking, it's outdated and a good candidate for revival.

However, I wish we'd actually had a bit more notice. A month doesn't quite cut it for me.

Yes, especially when we made our 60 day fp's and planned on going to HS, mostly to ride GMR because we knew it was going to be closing. We would of spent an extra day in AK if I knew GMR was going to be closed. We don't have hopper tickets. Don't think it's right of Disney to close it after people have planned their park days after their 60 day mark. Of course now there are no fp's for Pandora at AK.

Unfortunately its time had come but I will certainly miss GMR. I did ride it twice back in Feb as I suspected it would be my last time but I wonder what will happen to those wonderful sets in GMR.

Well, the muppet movie isn't a ride:ssst:. And it is something we will definitely do! I'm not sure about Toy Story, I thought it had the warning on it for people with heart problems. I'm trying to figure out how to balance what dad needs, and letting the dare devils do ToT and RnR and us lesser dare devils do Star Tours and Toy Story. I don't want dad just hanging out alone most of the time.

I usually let my children use my husband and I fp's for toystory but went on it once. I do remember that it does whip you around a bit. Buzz lightyear is more mellow because you can control how much you want to spin, but with toystory it just spins you. Other than shows, there are not rides at HS now that I would consider mellow to ride. I used to ride Backlot Tour and really enjoyed it but it seems I was in the minority.

I'm glad Pops likes to people watch, that is for sure. And if he gets board I can take him to Epcot and let the others stay in the Studios.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!