Clothing to donate - prior to races

Nessy

Earning My Ears
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone here can help me, I'm doing my shopping list for the Dopey Challenge and have read that a lot of people recommend buying some clothing to wear prior to the races due to it being cold and your standing for so long, that gets donated afterwards.

What does everyone get? Is there anything particular you would recommend. I think I'm planning on going to Primark and getting either long sleeved tops or jumpers for the races.

We'll be doing the Dopey Challenge, all 4 races, staying in Port Orleans and get in the day of the Expo so cannot shop anywhere else in America.

Thanks for any help in advance.

I use just old junky clothes I no longer need or want or you can buy cheap stuff at target, Walmart or goodwill too. I’ve heard of people having items delivered to the resort as well.

If I'm not using old clothes I currently own and want to get rid of (airplane PJs are great for this), I buy the cheapest, ugliest, warmest crap I can find at a Wal-Mart or Target. Last time, I found some horrendous synthetic ugly Christmas pullovers at Wal-Mart for something like $6 each during their post-Christmas sale. Dick's Sports often has ugly colored sweats and hoodies on sale too.

Thanks @rteetz @disneyatheart @FFigawi I was just checking that's kinda what we would do, we don't have a Wal-Mart in the UK and I doubt there is one either in Miami airport or Disney lol, so I'll go with Primark. Super excited. Thanks again for the replies!

Also, depending on how cold it is, don't forget a few pairs of gloves, hat, scarf or other items to keep warm.

Mylar blankets are cheap, easy to pack and do a good job of keeping you warm. I even packed hand warmers and used them the morning of the 5K.

ETA: The Mylar blankets were worn over my throw away clothes.

Not for freezing cold temps, but still chilly, heavy duty cheap rain ponchos off of amazon are great. They have a hood, elastics around the wrist, cut the wind, keep me dry if it's drizzling and at $1 usd a piece I have no trouble parting with them.

I have a friend who buys decent, yet inexpensive, matching sweatpants and sweatshirt, leaves the tags on, only wears them in the corral, and a couple minutes before he starts takes them off, folds them nicely, and puts them in an obvious spot for race coordinators to take and donate. No need to give crap to those in need; they deserve something decent-looking.

Mylar blankets are cheap, easy to pack and do a good job of keeping you warm. I even packed hand warmers and used them the morning of the 5K.

ETA: The Mylar blankets were worn over my throw away clothes.

If you're wearing it to start the race, be sure to lift it up and away from your bib. People have had their starts all messed up because of the interaction of the mylar with the chip reader.

I buy from my local race director hoodies from older races for like $10. Wear race morning, and then leave it. Winner for everyone

Thanks everyone for the replies!! I wasn't even thinking of hats, gloves and scarfs.

I have cleaned out my closet using old sweatshirts as well as old blankets that were just sitting in a cabinet. I have also raided the lost and found box at work, and picked up things at Goodwill.

I have cleaned out my closet using old sweatshirts as well as old blankets that were just sitting in a cabinet. I have also raided the lost and found box at work, and picked up things at Goodwill.

That's a great idea! I have no idea what Goodwill is but kinda think it might be the american version of Primark. Our problem is we don't have much suitcase space so will just be picking up items in London when we get there prior to the flight to Florida :)

That's a great idea! I have no idea what Goodwill is but kinda think it might be the american version of Primark. Our problem is we don't have much suitcase space so will just be picking up items in London when we get there prior to the flight to Florida :)

Goodwill is a thrift store/charity shop . Primark is.....a zoo! (At least the one on Oxford St ;) )

Goodwill is a thrift store/charity shop . Primark is.....a zoo! (At least the one on Oxford St ;) )

Oh dear! I think that is the one we'll be going to, not looking forward to it. We thankfully don't have a Primark over here and as we are flying to London it will be the only one we'll get to. Id go to the charity shops here but they are almost twice the price and for the amount of clothing we'd need for the Dopey Challenge I just couldn't afford it sadly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter