Club 33 Social Media Rule(s)

asgalang

Earning My Ears
Hi all. I apologize if this is already posted somewhere, but i couldn't seem to find an answer or clarification. I was lucky enough to get into Club 33 recently. Included with my host's reservation confirmation was "NO social media postings of ANY photos". I didn't want to press my luck or make it seem like i would test the rules, so I didn't ask for further clarification.

I don't actively post on social media, but i know the people with me do. I definitely don't want to jeopardize my host's membership, but i also don't want to be social media police to my friends. Doing some searches for Club 33 before visiting, i found recent posts/photos. So it was slightly confusing and i wanted to know how strict of a rule this is/was, or anyone's experience in this.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

What you saw posted might have been specifically approved by Club 33 management. I read a few posts where they mentioned what they were and were not allowed to photograph and film. I would not interpret the rules myself and would rather ask when I arrive. A few Instagram posts are not worth jeopardizing the host’s membership for.

Got it, thanks everyone. I received that statement in an email from the host, which also included other rules. Then the guests with me were my brother and fiancé. Right now, it sounds like no one has seen/encountered this and it isn't one of the formal club rules, but more of a 'better safe than sorry' policy from the host. I know I want to go again, so I'm able to enforce it against those two, which I assume they would agree with.

Prior to going, I saw a similar post here about a guest who spent too much time worrying about the rules than taking time to enjoy and take it all in. So if/when I thought asking, I didn't want to seem like a n00b or too out of place. Definitely glad and thankful to have now gone, and there will be a couple things done differently next time around.

Thanks for the input again! :)

Hi all. I apologize if this is already posted somewhere, but i couldn't seem to find an answer or clarification. I was lucky enough to get into Club 33 recently. Included with my host's reservation confirmation was "NO social media postings of ANY photos". I didn't want to press my luck or make it seem like i would test the rules, so I didn't ask for further clarification.

I don't actively post on social media, but i know the people with me do. I definitely don't want to jeopardize my host's membership, but i also don't want to be social media police to my friends. Doing some searches for Club 33 before visiting, i found recent posts/photos. So it was slightly confusing and i wanted to know how strict of a rule this is/was, or anyone's experience in this.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
If your host has said no pictures to be posted on social media, I would advise you make sure your guests understand this, and if they can't help themselves, perhaps you should reconsider allowing them to accompany you. I know I would not be happy if I said "No photos on social media" and the guest posted pics.

This has been a rule for the last year (posts on social media.) The issue for members is the rule states "No photos are to be posted on social media that are in poor taste." So what is a great photo to you, may be of poor taste to management. It has been a controversial issue. Photos of the bathroom or video anywhere in the club can cost your member a month suspension. This portion of the rule has been in effect since 2014. This will cause them to be very unhappy. (Imagine paying $15K, and you can't even enter the park for a month.)

Just because you found photos doesn't mean you should do it or allow it. It is sort of like your kids saying "But Johnny's mom lets him stay out all night...." Just because someone else has done it, doesn't mean you should violate your host's trust.

There are many reasons why members are reluctant to allow guests to go unaccompanied to the club. The main one, of course, is that ANYTHING out of place done by the guests comes back on the host. The guests may not even realize they have broken a rule, but the host can pay severe consequences depending upon the infraction. I have to agree with Malcon10t. Whatever your host requests of you is something that needs to be heeded, both for your sake and for the reputation and good standing of the host. I'm lucky to have a member friend who lets me go when I want; he has some rules that I don't necessarily understand but I always do as he asks. For instance, he asks that we tip quite a bit over the highest recommended amount, and we always do. I was in a panic last time I went because some people at a nearby table were talking about having graduated from the same college I graduated from. I gave a thumbs up and they began asking about when my sister and I graduated etc. and turns out we were all there at the same time. It was a short, fun, and friendly chat but the manager came out and reprimanded one of the people in their party who had initiated the conversation with us. Then the manager apologized to us and told us, basically, that you're not supposed to fraternize with people at other tables. I felt horrible for those people and for the thought that I may have gotten a black mark on my host's record, but fortunately that didn't happen. Anyway, I had no idea about that rule, which I think I've probably broken before. I'm pretty sure I've exchanged a few words with other guests before.

"It was a short, fun, and friendly chat but the manager came out and reprimanded one of the people in their party who had initiated the conversation with us. Then the manager apologized to us and told us, basically, that you're not supposed to fraternize with people at other tables. I felt horrible for those people and for the thought that I may have gotten a black mark on my host's record, but fortunately that didn't happen. Anyway, I had no idea about that rule, which I think I've probably broken before. I'm pretty sure I've exchanged a few words with other guests before. "

Wow, this right here would make me not want to ever go there. I like talking with people, and such. Small chit chat if someone seems, like me, talkative and open to conversations with strangers. Especially while we wait for a table or for food or whatever. to be on eggshells the entire meal, worried to break some rule you dont even know exists...not my thing.

I know you didn't intend it that way :) Just my thoughts/opinions. I get why people would want to go, just doesn't seem like it would be my thing at all.

Wow, this right here would make me not want to ever go there. I like talking with people, and such. Small chit chat if someone seems, like me, talkative and open to conversations with strangers. Especially while we wait for a table or for food or whatever. to be on eggshells the entire meal, worried to break some rule you dont even know exists...not my thing.
Here's the thing.... 1. Managers don't just come out. Someone had to have complained. Who knows who or why. (It could have been DizMe's server recognized DizMe as a regular and was nervous the other table had bothered her.) 2. The rule is in place because people have done things in the past. I know of a situation where a guest went table to table looking for a member to buy them member only items. I know a member who was accosted in the restroom by someone wanting member only merchandise. The rule isn't "Don't fraternize", but more of "Don't bother". It also comes from the fact that there are frequently celebrities there, and people will bother them for pictures, or sneak pictures of them (like was done of Andy Garcia this weekend.) Thus the rule "Don't take pictures with other people in them".

I'm curious - why are photos of the bathroom such a big no no? Is there something special about the bathrooms? That seems like the last place I'd think to take a photo.
The bathrooms used to be something you would want a picture of (the toilet in particular!), but after the remodel, they are nothing I would take a picture of. :)

Here's the thing.... 1. Managers don't just come out. Someone had to have complained. Who knows who or why. (It could have been DizMe's server recognized DizMe as a regular and was nervous the other table had bothered her.) 2. The rule is in place because people have done things in the past. I know of a situation where a guest went table to table looking for a member to buy them member only items. I know a member who was accosted in the restroom by someone wanting member only merchandise. The rule isn't "Don't fraternize", but more of "Don't bother". It also comes from the fact that there are frequently celebrities there, and people will bother them for pictures, or sneak pictures of them (like was done of Andy Garcia this weekend.) Thus the rule "Don't take pictures with other people in them".

Huh, ok that makes sense. Thank you! :) I have to say, I can understand that. I mean if you are IN the restaurant why would you go around bothering people to buy merch you can buy yourself?? And celebrities are people too, they want to just go out and have fun with their families. I have never bothered one when I have seen them out in public. I figure they are with their family, they are off limits. Would never thing to try and take a photo of them... I mean unless I am IN the photo, what fun is that? I guess I am too old for all this stuff.

Huh, ok that makes sense. Thank you! :) I have to say, I can understand that. I mean if you are IN the restaurant why would you go around bothering people to buy merch you can buy yourself?? And celebrities are people too, they want to just go out and have fun with their families. I have never bothered one when I have seen them out in public. I figure they are with their family, they are off limits. Would never thing to try and take a photo of them... I mean unless I am IN the photo, what fun is that? I guess I am too old for all this stuff.

If you're visiting Club 33 as a guest, you can't actually buy the Members Only items. There are items available to purchase by anybody, but some things are only for members.

The one time we were lucky enough to dine there, the other occupied table was Andy Dick and a group of his friends. Never even occurred to me to take a photo - I was busy enjoying my food!

We're going for lunch in a few weeks, on DH's company's corporate membership. Here's from the "Restaurant Policies" section of the reservation letter: "Videotaping is prohibited throughout all of Club 33. Photography inside the restrooms is strictly prohibited. Photography of celebrity Guests is prohibited. Failure to follow Club 33 guidelines may result in termination of the membership account."

When we went for lunch 3 years ago, there were only a few other tables, and one of them was four ladies lunching. I thought one of them looked familiar, but we didn't know who it was, and of course we wouldn't stare or anything. DH took a picture of me and unintentionally got her in the distance, in a corner of the pic. DD later was looking at the photos and said, "Oh, hey. That's Kris Jenner." Guess we don't keep up with the Kardashians. :rotfl:

Anyway, within the guidelines above, staff was fine with our taking a couple of pictures, and our waiter took one of the two of us. :)

429840 429839

While you are there, be sure to ask if you may go out on the balconies. It's so beautiful, and such a wonderful feeling to be high above everything!

If you're visiting Club 33 as a guest, you can't actually buy the Members Only items. There are items available to purchase by anybody, but some things are only for members.

The one time we were lucky enough to dine there, the other occupied table was Andy Dick and a group of his friends. Never even occurred to me to take a photo - I was busy enjoying my food!

AHHHH see, ok. Now I understand why they were going table to table (although I agree NOT COOL!). SMH at some people. I swear.

We were having dinner at our favorite little Italian place where I live. My husband, myself and our daughter (she was like 18 months old, so like 12 years ago). A group of 6 come in and sit right next to us. We all smile say hello to acknowledge each other as it is a SMALL place, and we are essentially sharing one side of a booth with a few inches in between our tables. We all settle to eat and such. We recognized them straight off, my husband looked at me and smiled, I smiled knowingly back. We sat next to Francis Ford Coppola and his daughter Sofia and others in their group. It was SO FREAKING COOL. I would never think to pull out a camera. It's a new day now though. I have met George Lucas a few times as well, long story, but always cool. Again, never thought about a phone. It's kinda sad really. I mean if you are at a meet and greet, YES pull out the phone, it's why you are there. Otherwise, just enjoy the ride!

Sorry to take this further off topic....but Sofia Coppola directed one of my most favorite movies ever (Lost In Translation w/ Bill Murray).

But slightly back on topic....when we visited SWGE for the first time a couple of weeks ago, I was so impressed by the level of theming and detail of the land that, when I passed by the bathroom entrance I told my wife, "....you know, I bet the bathroom is completely themed too!" and sure enough, I went in and saw that it was, in particular the large trough sink in the middle. So I guess sometimes bathrooms do elicit some curiosity.

But....back on topic. I think for most of us wide-eyed first timers, our initial reaction is, wow this is amazing, I MUST CAPTURE IT ON MY PHONE FOR ALL TO SEE!!!! Whereas, regulars are just there for a good quiet and relaxing meal and aren't thinking of how they might never go there again.

I'm curious - why are photos of the bathroom such a big no no? Is there something special about the bathrooms? That seems like the last place I'd think to take a photo.
The women's restroom is quite nice. Not something I'd take pics of, but it is nothing like a "Disneyland bathroom". Because of this, people frequently take pics. In fact, I've seen pics where a female brought her boyfriend in adn took pics. The men's restroom is also quite nice. Because of all the curiosity around the bathrooms, before the club opened, the tour for Club members and their friends included a tour of both restrooms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter