Club level guests can buy more fast passes?

Writing has been on the wall for a while now no ? I mean, soon as Iger started talking about thinning crowds but increasing revenue and profits by increasing prices and per guest spending, shifting to a more "premium" product, I think that was as clear as could be.
Been the plan all along. I plan on diverting some of my money this year to Universal, with a trip to Volcano Bay.

Writing has been on the wall for a while now no ? I mean, soon as Iger started talking about thinning crowds but increasing revenue and profits by increasing prices and per guest spending, shifting to a more "premium" product, I think that was as clear as could be.

I would buy that idea (especially as they being the run-up to Toy Story and SWL openings they would want to thin the crowds while simultaneously increasing per guest spending) but at the same time they are doing things like:
- re-introducing FL resident discounts through Rediscover Disney 3-4 day passes - recently spotted at Publix and Target down here so they are really pushing these...
- "Bare-bones" type cost cutting like paper plates at BOG lunch, large toiletry dispensers at certain resorts, $$ to buy out of mousekeeping, etc
- Watering down the premium services at Deluxe resorts in the face of increasing competition from the Waldorf, Four Seasons, etc. CL at Disney barely compares to the "standard" service you get right down the road at the Waldorf.

Don't get me wrong, Disney has some truly premium experiences (V&A's, VIP tours, etc) - but if they are actively trying to up their product to a premium level while packing the parks with locals on discount tickets and serving $20/plate lunches with plastic forks it ain't happening (yet).

Care to guess now who Disney is catering to.

yup - catering to $ ... so easier to make extra $ by offering premium services to people with more $ - so to get a family that is already spending $10,000 on their vacation to spend 10% more is a lot easier than getting a family that is spending $2,000 to spend 50% more

Though it is challenging as the number one complaint still seems to be that the parks are too crowded so not necessarily an easy solution to getting the parks to be a) less crowded and b) same price or cheaper .... even if targeting the higher income brackets they don't seem to have issues filling the parks

I would buy that idea (especially as they being the run-up to Toy Story and SWL openings they would want to thin the crowds while simultaneously increasing per guest spending) but at the same time they are doing things like:
- re-introducing FL resident discounts through Rediscover Disney 3-4 day passes - recently spotted at Publix and Target down here so they are really pushing these...
- "Bare-bones" type cost cutting like paper plates at BOG lunch, large toiletry dispensers at certain resorts, $$ to buy out of mousekeeping, etc
- Watering down the premium services at Deluxe resorts in the face of increasing competition from the Waldorf, Four Seasons, etc. CL at Disney barely compares to the "standard" service you get right down the road at the Waldorf.

Don't get me wrong, Disney has some truly premium experiences (V&A's, VIP tours, etc) - but if they are actively trying to up their product to a premium level while packing the parks with locals on discount tickets and serving $20/plate lunches with plastic forks it ain't happening (yet).

I totally agree, this is like the Disney cognitive dissonance in action. They are pursuing these "whales" to use an entertainment industry term, the premium client, big spender so to speak, that seems to be the focus of much of their strategy, but yet, they are actually rolling out some aggressive discounts simultaneously as attendance drops off.

Summer has become less of a busy time for instance, seeing regular and significant summer deals the last couple years that did not exist before. Offering discounts to FL folks, DVC and AP discounts (though curtailed this year a bit). Its like they are charging the premium folks at the front door but letting in the common folks through the back door of the club to make it look busy and popular.

Anyway it might be these discounts only exist short run, to keep propping things up, it might be that this becomes their overall strategy. Charge high rates but let in just enough people at more affordable rates to keep the lights on / cover overhead. Hard to say, but it certainly is a weird approach of late.

I think there will still be "deals" and discounts this year, but after Star Wars opens I'd expect premium prices.

Been the plan all along. I plan on diverting some of my money this year to Universal, with a trip to Volcano Bay.

Make sure pay more and stay onsite deluxe for better attraction access, or flat out buy FOTL, it's awesome..hhhmmmmm.

Make sure pay more and stay onsite deluxe for better attraction access, or flat out buy FOTL, it's awesome..hhhmmmmm.

To be fair though, we paid $250 to stay in their deluxe royal pacific in December and got fotl access. Good luck getting that at wdw. You are looking closer to $700 a night to get that in December at WDW.

To be fair though, we paid $250 to stay in their deluxe royal pacific in December and got fotl access. Good luck getting that at wdw. You are looking closer to $700 a night to get that in December at WDW.

And that's the big thing, the "perks" a Disney ticket and of staying onsite have always been built into the price of Disney rooms (such that they were perks) EMHs - now being replaced in part by paid "magic" events (they have decreased EMHs and added paid time in the parks), access at 60 days for FPs (now extended to non-disney hotels and surpassed by paid 90 day fastpasses), everyone alway had access to Fastpass.

That is the key thing here, Disney is trying to make a shift, on perks that we already paid for but were built into the price of your ticket (fp) or your room (early access to FP+, EMH, etc) to a new reality where those are just the "base" goods, and the real "perks" are paid even MORE for. So now we are getting a "base" experience for what used to be a "perked" experience price, and the perk experience folks are paying even more.

It's odd to think of a deluxe resort costing so much while Disney continually takes away amenities. These are not luxury resorts and unless they upgrade some things big time rich people won't see them that way either. I would argue that the high end Universal resorts are much nicer, at least for now.

And that's the big thing, the "perks" a Disney ticket and of staying onsite have always been built into the price of Disney rooms (such that they were perks) EMHs - now being replaced in part by paid "magic" events (they have decreased EMHs and added paid time in the parks), access at 60 days for FPs (now extended to non-disney hotels and surpassed by paid 90 day fastpasses), everyone alway had access to Fastpass.

That is the key thing here, Disney is trying to make a shift, on perks that we already paid for but were built into the price of your ticket (fp) or your room (early access to FP+, EMH, etc) to a new reality where those are just the "base" goods, and the real "perks" are paid even MORE for. So now we are getting a "base" experience for what used to be a "perked" experience price, and the perk experience folks are paying even more.
Exactly that.

I think that is really well put - and will be interesting to see what the public is willing to pay for, if not a lesser experience, then at least not the "maximum" experience. That is, before, while expensive, if you stayed on site you got the maximum amount of perks of any guest (beyond a VIP tour, etc.) - but now that isn't the case. So will people still want to pay "premium" prices for something less than the "premium" experience?

And if not, does Disney care? If they are getting more money via other means are they ok if not every room in every deluxe is filled? Or, will Star Wars: GE, etc be so popular that people will be willing to pay a high $ even for "some" benefits?

Personally, I feel I am having a bit of a mindset shift and that if they offer some sort of VIP tour for Star Wars: GE (similar to what they have for Animal Kingdom) it might make more sense to save $ by staying off site and using that savings to pay for the VIP tour, guarantee you get into the Land and on the rides and not have to deal with hoping you can get FP 60 days out, etc. But maybe Disney is ok with people having this view

I think that is really well put - and will be interesting to see what the public is willing to pay for, if not a lesser experience, then at least not the "maximum" experience. That is, before, while expensive, if you stayed on site you got the maximum amount of perks of any guest (beyond a VIP tour, etc.) - but now that isn't the case. So will people still want to pay "premium" prices for something less than the "premium" experience?

And if not, does Disney care? If they are getting more money via other means are they ok if not every room in every deluxe is filled? Or, will Star Wars: GE, etc be so popular that people will be willing to pay a high $ even for "some" benefits?

Personally, I feel I am having a bit of a mindset shift and that if they offer some sort of VIP tour for Star Wars: GE (similar to what they have for Animal Kingdom) it might make more sense to save $ by staying off site and using that savings to pay for the VIP tour, guarantee you get into the Land and on the rides and not have to deal with hoping you can get FP 60 days out, etc. But maybe Disney is ok with people having this view

Its a fair point.

I think they are banking on their current 90 % occupancy rate or whatever to not dip no matter what they do.

It would be more economical, IMO, to do as you suggest. Stay offsite, save about $500/night, and just use that for another experience.

But they will concede that scenario. Most likely their rooms are still booked, and they are getting the extra money from offsite folks as well now.

Disney will continue to raise prices. They're a business and people expect them to do that.

I think it needs to be that people need to be smarter how they vacation. It probably doesn't apply to a lot of people on here as we are all Disney geeks but do most people know that it's not cost effective to having the Dining plan over OOP most of the time? Do people know they can stay offsite, get Uber's to the park and probably save hundreds?

Probably where it's a family with kids, it's harder to be more flexible but I'm constantly looking at ways to save on my vacation.

I was looking at flights to Orlando from London Gatwick last week. It was almost $200 to fly on a Tuesday than it was on say a Friday or Saturday.

By us shopping around smater, it far outweighs any price rises that Disney are currently throwing out there. I expect steep rises on everything once we hit the 50th though

Its a fair point.

I think they are banking on their current 90 % occupancy rate or whatever to not dip no matter what they do.

It would be more economical, IMO, to do as you suggest. Stay offsite, save about $500/night, and just use that for another experience.

But they will concede that scenario. Most likely their rooms are still booked, and they are getting the extra money from offsite folks as well now.

I agree - I think they know they don't really have major issues with occupancy (sure you see some discounts, etc. but that is factored in I think) and know when everything they are working on is open (especially Star Wars) there will be a huge influx of people - and likely why they are giving more benefits to staying at the good neighbor hotels. if they know they don't have enough rooms and people are going to be staying off site (either due to lack of rooms or cost) they would rather they stay over near Disney Springs than at Universal's hotels

Disney will continue to raise prices. They're a business and people expect them to do that.

I think it needs to be that people need to be smarter how they vacation. It probably doesn't apply to a lot of people on here as we are all Disney geeks but do most people know that it's not cost effective to having the Dining plan over OOP most of the time? Do people know they can stay offsite, get Uber's to the park and probably save hundreds?

Probably where it's a family with kids, it's harder to be more flexible but I'm constantly looking at ways to save on my vacation.

I was looking at flights to Orlando from London Gatwick last week. It was almost $200 to fly on a Tuesday than it was on say a Friday or Saturday.

By us shopping around smater, it far outweighs any price rises that Disney are currently throwing out there. I expect steep rises on everything once we hit the 50th though

I would say thought that is isn't just about what is cheaper, but rather, the value of everything - or more specifically, the "perceived" value of everything. While yes, people could stay off site and use Uber but if some people perceive it to be better to be "in the bubble" and using Disney transportation, then their is value in that and they will have a better feeling about their vacation than if they save a little money staying off site. Others are on the other side where they get pleasure/value out of saving money and will have a better feeling of their vacation if they feel they got it for as cheap as possible.

I think Disney's advertising is largely about increasing that "perceived" value beyond what the actual value might be. "yeah, I could stay off site, but did you see in that commercial where Cinderella was walking down the stair case in the Grand Floridian? *That's* what I want in my Disney vacation!"

I would say thought that is isn't just about what is cheaper, but rather, the value of everything - or more specifically, the "perceived" value of everything. While yes, people could stay off site and use Uber but if some people perceive it to be better to be "in the bubble" and using Disney transportation, then their is value in that and they will have a better feeling about their vacation than if they save a little money staying off site. Others are on the other side where they get pleasure/value out of saving money and will have a better feeling of their vacation if they feel they got it for as cheap as possible.

I think Disney's advertising is largely about increasing that "perceived" value beyond what the actual value might be. "yeah, I could stay off site, but did you see in that commercial where Cinderella was walking down the stair case in the Grand Floridian? *That's* what I want in my Disney vacation!"

I'll admit, we still struggle to use our vacation dollars at Disney "wisely".

Even though I already know that staying at a Moderate is way overpriced for our family of 5, IMO, we still "look into it" every time.

There is something to be said for staying on site. I guess its the "feel".

But we usually come to our senses and book an off site which is better suited for our needs, and we save money/get a better experience.

But they don't make it easy on us! There's always that tug. But if they bring that price point back down (i'm dreaming here), that tug will be stronger again.

It's odd to think of a deluxe resort costing so much while Disney continually takes away amenities. These are not luxury resorts and unless they upgrade some things big time rich people won't see them that way either. I would argue that the high end Universal resorts are much nicer, at least for now.

I agree with all of this. Personally, the WDW deluxes have taken away some deal breaker amenities in recent moves, and they will continue to do. You don't have to be rich to make basic comparisons between the CR, 4 Seasons, Ritz, HR Grand Cypress even. The Swolphin properties (I know, soapbox) are certainly a more luxe experience. The Uni resorts are much nicer, but I think that SWL is going to be such a draw that this CL advantage will be worth it. It will be for me. I think there are other people who might be considering the 4 Seasons, but access to more rides and an easier overall experience will drive them to WDW deluxe and at that point the $50 per night is a laughable drop in the bucket. I think @TheMaxRebo has a lot of it right in that most people, look at the vacation equation as "value" - this offering has some pretty great value come SWL time.

Are you maybe giving the lower end at US, and the higher end at WDW for a room?

Either way each Resort (US and WDW) target those that will spend more to shorten lines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter