Club level guests can buy more fast passes?

The "perk" is having access to purchase the FPs

And it will affect everyone else. These are FPs that will be taken out of the pool earlier, and this will also help diminish the 4th FP pool quicker.

This is the first time they are linking a park perk to the type of onsite room you stay in. Therefore, creating classes of guests within their own hotels in terms of the park experience (not just the hotel experience).

Which really makes this a whole new world...

...snip...

This is the first time they are linking a park perk to the type of onsite room you stay in. Therefore, creating classes of guests within their own hotels in terms of the park experience (not just the hotel experience).

...snip..

This is the part that troubles me. And additionally as a DVC owner, the offering of an in-park perk that I will have no (current) way to obtain when staying on points is even more troubling. Why buy points when concierge customers will have the ability to have greater access to the parks?

This is the part that troubles me. And additionally as a DVC owner, the offering of an in-park perk that I will have no (current) way to obtain when staying on points is even more troubling. Why buy points when concierge customers will have the ability to have greater access to the parks?

I hear you. I would be super mad about this if I owned DVC.

Same day FoP FPs are easier to score than you may realize. It may take more perseverance but very likely even on the busiest days. About 10 minutes of refreshing on MDE and I had them on a day the week before Christmas for within the hour. On a day when the parks were crowded and average FoP standby time was 3-4 hours. And then repeatedly moved the FPs back several times as we decided to go that evening (I.e. slots continued to remain open).

We had the opposite problem with FOP, which is why this really burns me up. My wife logged into MDE at 7am on our 60 day mark and got one option for a time frame for FOP, it was the afternoon of our first day of a two day trip. We weren't really planning on spending the day at AK, just the morning, so the 5pm option that we got really messed up our plans for that day. We tried daily during our 60 day window to move it around and were only able to move it up to 3pm one time. Every other time we checked, there were no other times. We tried on the same day to move it up, nothing, no luck. This was around the second weekend of December.

I've not been a fan of Fast Pass + since it was implemented, the rigidity in scheduling is really annoying to me. Our experience has us worried that if we book a trip to Disney for Star Wars, we'll have a really hard time getting fast passes for those attractions, if we'll get any at all.

I have stayed club level and I would not spend this. I don’t think everyone will either.

Nor would I.

It shouldn't just be for Club level stays. If they are going to do it, Disney should offer the ability to purchase fast passes to all, not a select few. And please everyone, don't say "well you can book club level if you want to" - no, not if it's sold out.

Nope - everyone should get the chance to be fleeced. :)

Be patient. You may get your wish if there is no backlash from this "offer" I have read that many people who stay onsite want access to additional FP and see so many suggestions how they would like it to work. Some would pay, others want tiers of FP additions based on resort levels. I bet you a buck that this is just a test to see if there is a demand among those who are already willing to pay for an add on in services and amenity that extends past tours, dessert parties etc. If this fizzles out with the CL crowd, it will probably go away. If there is interest this will probably be rolled out to more resorts.

We had the opposite problem with FOP, which is why this really burns me up. My wife logged into MDE at 7am on our 60 day mark and got one option for a time frame for FOP, it was the afternoon of our first day of a two day trip. We weren't really planning on spending the day at AK, just the morning, so the 5pm option that we got really messed up our plans for that day. We tried daily during our 60 day window to move it around and were only able to move it up to 3pm one time. Every other time we checked, there were no other times. We tried on the same day to move it up, nothing, no luck. This was around the second weekend of December.

I've not been a fan of Fast Pass + since it was implemented, the rigidity in scheduling is really annoying to me. Our experience has us worried that if we book a trip to Disney for Star Wars, we'll have a really hard time getting fast passes for those attractions, if we'll get any at all.

The old fastpass system probably wouldn't have been any better for you in these cases. You'd have to get to AK for rope drop and run to get a fastpass that might be for much later in the day, just like it used to be for TSMM.

:oops::oops:

If it wasn’t for my family’s DVC points I would just take cruises from now on. My 13 year old is also still obsessed with WDW too so I feel stuck. I’m personally starting to get over it (IT being Disney) though. This is probably just the beginning, with Star Wars opening next year they will push things as far as they can to squeeze every penny out of guests.

Last edited:
The old fastpass system probably wouldn't have been any better for you in these cases. You'd have to get to AK for rope drop and run to get a fastpass that might be for much later in the day, just like it used to be for TSMM.

I don’t disagree with that, but at least they were free and you didn’t get extras by paying for them.

The differences between old fast pass and new is a whole different topic. I just wish planning a trip to Disney wasn’t so rigid.

Be patient. You may get your wish if there is no backlash from this "offer" I have read that many people who stay onsite want access to additional FP and see so many suggestions how they would like it to work. Some would pay, others want tiers of FP additions based on resort levels. I bet you a buck that this is just a test to see if there is a demand among those who are already willing to pay for an add on in services and amenity that extends past tours, dessert parties etc. If this fizzles out with the CL crowd, it will probably go away. If there is interest this will probably be rolled out to more resorts.

Yep, I think people are fooling themselves if they don't realize this is just the tip of the iceberg. As others have mentioned, Disney would be crazy if the long term plan wasn't to monetize the FP+ system. We're just finally seeing the next phase getting put in place. After testing and piloting I think almost everyone will have an option to add extra FPs and/or book earlier like 90 days out for an additional fee. We knew this was coming, and I think WDW wants this in place before Galaxy's Edge.

I'm personally not a fan of this as it will make FPs harder to get ... but it's coming

It's definitely a test. It gives them a controlled environment to see how it works. They will have the band data to see when they were used/how they were used.

CL is a small group, and a great group to test this out. Once they get their data, it will probably be rolled out as a deluxe amenity, as long as they are hitting their goal. Help fill those $600/night rooms, plus get another $50 pp on top of that. That's my guess. If not enough deluxe buy in, they will offer it to certain mods. I doubt they offer it to the masses, unless their data tells them that's the only way to make what they are looking to make from this.

My feeling is that overall problem is that each one of these incremental changes brings less of a sense of egalitarianism to the Disney experience and more and more ways to indirectly or directly "get ahead". It's:
- stay up/wake up to get on MDE at midnight/7am/whenever at the 60 day mark - yes I know anyone can do this
- book a throwaway room
- use one of the other "hacks" or "tricks" (google fastpass hacks)
- finally just pay $50 + concierge and get it over with

Used to be all you needed to do is show up at the park and know where the fastpass stands were for each ride. Part of me hates that Disney has made planning a necessary evil and created tiers of guests - haves (or planners) and have-nots (spontaneous folks) - this is the part of me that says "just get it over with Disney and start charging everyone for Fastpass like Universal et al." The other part of me thinks that doing this will only serve to be the nail in the coffin for whatever sense of equality one might feel with other guests in the park and that it really is "pay to play".

Last edited:
This will not affect many people in the short term, but you can rest assured that Disney will look to expand this sooner rather than later should it be successful.

The next step is to allow Deluxe guests the purchase option, and they'll gradually work it down from there. It might take a few years, but it is coming. Especially when all these additional rides start opening up over the next few years thus spreading out the crowds a little more.

It would be nice if they were to just make the extra ones be anytime FP that can be used in any park. I think that would lessen the hit on the overall pool of FP available to everyone. It also might encourage more people to buy the Park Hopper option. Say three years from now when all these new attractions are open. I might be willing to pay for this if I knew I could go ride Tron at MK in the morning, hop to Epcot and ride Guardians, and then hop to DHS for a Galaxy's Edge ride. All the while having my regularly scheduled three FP in whatever I considered my main park that day.

I think this will have way less of an impact on FP availability vs. the people that would use multiple magic bands to book twice or 3 times as many FP's at a time. Imagine a family of 4 with 3 magic bands each. It was not that uncommon just 6 months ago until Disney closed that loophole. Now if they can get rid of throw away rooms it will also increase FP availability to on site guest.

I think this will have way less of an impact on FP availability vs. the people that would use multiple magic bands to book twice or 3 times as many FP's at a time. Imagine a family of 4 with 3 magic bands each. It was not that uncommon just 6 months ago until Disney closed that loophole. Now if they can get rid of throw away rooms it will also increase FP availability to on site guest.
Only problem is throwaway rooms is not something that you can easily close. I don’t see that going away anytime soon if ever.

Interesting that it includes the Bungalows and Cabins too. I wonder if that includes DVC paying with points or only cash stays. Also cannot repeat experiences, so no getting two FoP in one day. But it seems one could reserve FoP, the Mine Train, and Frozen Ever After in one day if they wanted.

It would be nice if they were to just make the extra ones be anytime FP that can be used in any park. I think that would lessen the hit on the overall pool of FP available to everyone. It also might encourage more people to buy the Park Hopper option. Say three years from now when all these new attractions are open. I might be willing to pay for this if I knew I could go ride Tron at MK in the morning, hop to Epcot and ride Guardians, and then hop to DHS for a Galaxy's Edge ride. All the while having my regularly scheduled three FP in whatever I considered my main park that day.

On one side it makes it easier for everyone else when prebooking. But if it was anytime FP, then you'd have people showing up en masse at the highest priority ride up to four times, multiple that by however many purchased the perk and what's the point of a fastpass. Sure it's spread out over the day but it would have to come with some strings or time restrictions to keep things sane during peak park hours every day. I can see how people in Value resorts would feel if people in Deluxes were able to buy extra fastpasses and they were not.

I think this will have way less of an impact on FP availability then when people would use multiple magic bands to book twice or 3 times as many FP's at a time. Imagine a family of 4 with 3 magic bands each. It was not that uncommon just 6 months ago until Disney closed that loophole. Now if they can get rid of throw away rooms it will also increase FP availability to on site guest.

Probably, there were many different subsets of groups who were using that to their advantage. I'm not sure how bad the throwaway room problem really is though. For those in the know, now they'll still do the same thing but instead really stay offsite at Disney Springs (for example) and someone else will line up right behind them and stay at the campsite or at Pop or wherever.

If they started letting Deluxe guests purchase FP, I definitely think those staying in moderates and values would feel the same way we all do right now. Why do they get the right to purchase when we do not.

Who knows what direction they will go with this. I am sure there is going to be all sorts of pilots and testing to try to find a sweet spot. They could eventually go with letting everyone have the right to purchase three, or they might base it on your resort. Club and Deluxe can purchase three, moderates two, and values one. For all we know they could introduce a no strings attached Super FP for purchase that guarantees one ride on all rides in a park on a given day. Possibilities are endless with the Magic Bands, and you know they have people working on all sorts of scenarios to increase revenue.

Universal Studios makes you pay for their express pass to skip the line. They give you one for free at the high end hotels but not at the lower ones. That would be similar to Deluxe getting something instead of Value.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter