CM’s entering resort rooms with and without RO sign

Status
Not open for further replies.
The policy is clearly stated in the terms and conditions before you finish making your room reservation online. People agree to the terms and conditions by completing the transaction and are assumed to have read them. I have never booked a room over the phone, so I don't know how/if people are being informed of the policy. Maybe in an email confirmation? But I do agree, it would make it easier if they just had a sign at check-in. But then again, a lot of people skip the front desk and go straight to the room.
I doubt people read those terms and conditions. I know I briefly skim them if that before clicking agree and moving on. Without being on these boards I would have no clue about the policy. I try to skip the front desk, but never seem to get the room ready text and have to go. The last few times there has been no mention of this policy at all when I was talking to them. I just recently stayed at Universal, they don't say anything, but they do have a sign saying they will enter your room once a day for safety reasons. I just feel the way Disney is going about this they are trying to keep the information from the guests instead of being open and honest about it.

So you think Disney contract terms give them the right for a man to enter a woman's hotel room at 2 in the morning without her consent and a judge would find that contract term enforceable? Under that contract a man can enter the room every single night at 3 am and stand near her and stare at her for an hour. Think that is enforceable? If not, why not? Where do you think the line is drawn?

See, this is the kind of hyperbole that riles up these threads which eventually close. There have been zero reports of such situations, and really nothing to make any logical case that WDW might try to do such. Wild “what if” scenarios detracts from your mission for a calm discussion of the policy.

I'm sure the vast majority of people who book at Disney resorts don't know about the policy. The first time they hear about it is when they're at the resort, and by then it's too late to do anything about it.

Maybe what should happen is, someone should go onto the Disney Facebook page and post a "Did you know?" and state the room policy. Then people would see it and be educated.

It was discussed thoroughly on Facebook 8 months ago, when the policy was announced.

See, this is the kind of hyperbole that riles up these threads which eventually close. There have been zero reports of such situations, and really nothing to make any logical case that WDW might try to do such. Wild “what if” scenarios detracts from your mission for a calm discussion of the policy.

This is exactly right. Moreover, the wild "what ifs" like the example cited above really aren't even related to the policy. There has always been the possibility that some creep with a passkey might enter your hotel room for nefarious purposes. This policy doesn't change that (also that's part of the reason the security latch exists). There is no question that the owner of a hotel has a legal right to enter your room and always has, notwithstanding this policy. Hotel booking agreements universally note that the proprietor retains that right. A hotel employee (or an imposter for that matter) who engages in some sort of wrongdoing while purportedly carrying out this policy would be subject to liability that might or might not extend to the hotel depending on the circumstances. But that doesn't change the underlying assumptions, and the fact that a policy might potentially be abused doesn't invalidate the policy, and it certainly doesn't make it unlawful. It seems reasonable to point out potential concerns in an effort to possibly help Disney refine its policy. But the wild speculation doesn't seem conducive to that.

FWIW... I bowed out of the discussions after my stay this summer, but I'll briefly tiptoe back in on this one to offer my personal experience in hopes of tampering the hyperbole.

I do not like the policy. I had a number of concerns about it, first and foremost being that as a woman traveling alone, I take great care to stay safe and this seemed like it might make that more difficult. But I got a great rate at CSR and decided to see for myself how it worked. I happened to be traveling with my teenage son, and we discussed the policy ahead of time. My son sleeps late and I often go to a pool or to work out while he sleeps in, so I stressed to him that he was under no obligation to let a stranger into the room if he felt at all uncomfortable; all he need do if someone knocked was to ask "Who is it?" and say "This isn't a good time - please come back later" if he wasn't comfortable letting them in.

Two days we had a CM knock for a security check. Day 1, I was out and my son answered the door - he said he asked who was there, the CM explained who he was and why he was there, while my son looked through the peephole. My son felt safe, so he opened the door, walked out, and stood with the door open while the male CM quickly walked in as far as the bathroom, and back out, thanking my son as he left. My son then closed the door and replaced the flip-lock and I knocked to be let in when I returned later. Day 2, I happened to be in the room when a CM knocked, so I answered, did the same as my son had the day before, asked my son if he minded the intrusion, since he was still in bed, he said it was fine, and I held the door open while the CM did the walk-through. I left after that and my son engaged the flip-lock, and let me in when I knocked later.

I still think the security check is weird, and I still don't like it. But in full honesty, it was fine. It really was. I never felt intruded upon, the CMs were polite and professional, and nothing went wrong. That said, had I not felt safe, I simply would not have disengaged the flip-lock and opened the door. Just like at home. Nowhere have I seen anyone say a CM forced their way in through a locked door, and I very much doubt I ever will. I know it's not always easy to use the flip-lock due to people coming and going, but my son and I have always done so, long before this new policy, and I promise - it's not that difficult.

I applaud any efforts to get an "official" explanation about how the policy works, but I won't hold my breath. It honestly is a choice at this point: stay onsite and know this is something they do, or stay offsite if you truly can't handle the idea. I'm staying offsite for the foreseeable future, but only because it's cheaper - I wouldn't hesitate to stay onsite again if the cost was better than offsite because the security check wound up being far less of an issue than I thought it would be.

There is no question that the owner of a hotel has a legal right to enter your room and always has, notwithstanding this policy. Hotel booking agreements universally note that the proprietor retains that right.

Here's the thing, though: it's generally understood that a 'do not disturb' sign means, don't come in, don't knock, come back later. Most hotels have a 'do not disturb' sign so that a guest has the option of hanging that on the door and knowing they won't be bothered if they want to sleep late, take a nap or engage in rumpy-pumpy.

Disney took away that option, and a lot of people don't know that.

Unlike other hotels, you have NO option to ask that the CM come back later, except to stand at the door and tell them so, which sort of puts a damper on doing something like taking a nap or a shower or rumpy-pumpy. We should have the option of "do not disturb", and I don't understand why we don't.

Last edited by a moderator:

Here's the thing, though: it's generally understood that a 'do not disturb' sign means, don't come in, don't knock, come back later. Most hotels have a 'do not disturb' sign so that a guest has the option of hanging that on the door and knowing they won't be bothered if they want to sleep late, take a nap or engage in rumpy-pumpy.

Unlike other hotels, you have NO option to ask that the CM come back later, except to stand at the door and tell them so, which sort of puts a damper on doing something like taking a nap or a shower or rumpy-pumpy. We should have the option of "do not disturb", and I don't understand why we don't.

The policy is broadly stated on the RO hanger, so there has been some effort to notify guests that the rules have changed. But this all just takes us back to the bottom line that people don't like this policy because it inconveniences them and makes their hotel stay less pleasant. And that's fine; those objections are perfectly reasonable. My point was that it is problematic when people start conjuring up nasty hypotheticals in an effort to make their dissatisfaction with the policy seem like something more than it is. That's counterproductive. Complaining that someone might end up in your hotel room at 3am watching you sleep is not going to motivate Disney to modify this policy, and it's likely to make them discount everything else these people are saying because it suggests they really don't understand the issues involved.

Totally agree! I always have housekeeping and that counts as a room check. The problem with this policy is that with a DND sign up in the past, HK would bypass my room and come back later when we leave- without knocking or alerting security. Now the RO sign allows HK to knock when THEY come to your room, regardless of whether you're in the room and regardless of time of day! If they would just put a DND sign back, honor it, and if that sign is up more than 24 hours, THEN contact me for a wellness/room check that would make everyone's lives easier- guests and CM's!

The policy is broadly stated on the RO hanger, so there has been some effort to notify guests that the rules have changed. But this all just takes us back to the bottom line that people don't like this policy because it inconveniences them and makes their hotel stay less pleasant. And that's fine; those objections are perfectly reasonable. My point was that it is problematic when people start conjuring up nasty hypotheticals in an effort to make their dissatisfaction with the policy seem like something more than it is. That's counterproductive. Complaining that someone might end up in your hotel room at 3am watching you sleep is not going to motivate Disney to modify this policy, and it's likely to make them discount everything else these people are saying because it suggests they really don't understand the issues involved.
That's true.

Our earliest knock was around 8:30. I was in the shower and my husband wasn't dressed. The next day is was a little later, but still before 9, My husband was dressed, but I wasn't.

Of course our visit isn't billed as a security check, it is billed as trash collection.

I agree with you. Like what was said above, it’s about $$. Di$ney appears to want to execute this with HK using the basic prior HK schedule, whatever that may be one day to the next. Doing it at guests’ convenience based on when the sign is on the door knob for when the guests want temporary privacy (like other hotels do) means return visits, HK or separate security personnel and those additional visits costs Di$ney $$. Cheaper for Di$ney to ignore what the RO indicates and plow ahead. If Di$ney would pass on the savings accrued from this method to guests, maybe it would soften the blow. That’s not happening. More likely: a resort security fee coming your way.

Totally agree! I always have housekeeping and that counts as a room check. The problem with this policy is that with a DND sign up in the past, HK would bypass my room and come back later when we leave- without knocking or alerting security. Now the RO sign allows HK to knock when THEY come to your room, regardless of whether you're in the room and regardless of time of day! If they would just put a DND sign back, honor it, and if that sign is up more than 24 hours, THEN contact me for a wellness/room check that would make everyone's lives easier- guests and CM's!

Yep, in my world I manage things, incoming phone call, email or text, even snail mail, if i am in the middle of something, it gets tabled for later handling. Why we have to drop what we are doing and run for the door to let the HK/security in on vacation, hmmm. Let them come back and if they cop an attitude, I will return the favor.

Yep, in my world I manage things, incoming phone call, email or text, even snail mail, if i am in the middle of something, it gets tabled for later handling. Why we have to drop what we are doing and run for the door to let the HK/security in on vacation, hmmm. Let them come back and if they cop an attitude, I will return the favor.
While totally your prerogative to cop an attitude if they demand to be let in it would further inconvenience you. If you refused they would just come back with more security people and you risk further consequences. Also why give the people who are just doing their job a hard time. They didn't make the policy. They are just trying to earn a living.

I believe you misread. What I posted was that if they cop an attitude, I will too. Reports have been that some do. Not trying to give them a hard time unless they lead with it.

I believe you misread. What I posted was that if they cop an attitude, I will too. Reports have been that some do. Not trying to give them a hard time unless they lead with it.
Again completely your prerogative but it would not benefit you and only make your experience worse.

Some reports may have stated they get attitude from the employee but remember you are getting one side to a story. The HK or security person has no reason to "cop an attitude" unless they are being given a hard time.

Again completely your prerogative but it would not benefit you and only make your experience worse.

Some reports may have stated they get attitude from the employee but remember you are getting one side to a story. The HK or security person has no reason to "cop an attitude" unless they are being given a hard time.

Thanks for your advice.

Housekeeping shouldn't count as the security check IMO.

Of course our visit isn't billed as a security check, it is billed as trash collection.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I don't remember seeing anything from Disney claiming that these are "security" checks. I know the original media reports on the new door hangers and policy claimed that they were security measures, but security is only one of several reasons that Disney's official terms and conditions lists as giving them right to access your room. One of them is housekeeping. Having housekeeping in your room count as your daily check clearly falls under their stated policy.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I don't remember seeing anything from Disney claiming that these are "security" checks. I know the original media reports on the new door hangers and policy claimed that they were security measures, but security is only one of several reasons that Disney's official terms and conditions lists as giving them right to access your room. One of them is housekeeping. Having housekeeping in your room count as your daily check clearly falls under their stated policy.
They actually state that they can enter for any reason. I posted a few pages back with their exact quote from the statement Disney made

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter